• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Makes sense when you only play Switch games but have you not seen games on other platforms?

I have seen games on other platforms, and perhaps I should have elaborated more - to me whatever tricks they used for those low poly landscapes made up for an incredible, impressionistic effect. Sure, it is not as realistic as say Horizon or RDR2 (which also have HDR), but the effect really invites sense of wonder I have not seen in anything else before. I do admit I respond better to stylised than mimicking real world.

Would you care to suggest titles that come close in achieving the what BotW does?

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing the number of people saying RDR2 just reminds me of how good it could look if it had HDR.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead.

337blimp3bkdk.gif

cuphead-gifu8j4d.gif

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CrossCode looks wonderful in every way. Animation, art-style, it's all top-tier.

20150224074013-shizuka-special.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's something on PC, but it's very hard to choose. Possibly Metro... I have an RTX 2080 so I need to try that game soon...

30fps kills clarity in motion, the loss of visual fidelity at that frame rate or lower is too big a hit to visuals to ignore.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn for me. There are very few games that have such strong fantasy elements while looking that good.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I haven't enjoyed playing RDR2 at all but it is such a technical monument and absolutely gorgeous. It's art, in that regard. HZD and GoW are the runner ups, but RDR2 wins this gen in the looks department

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Uncharted 4 baby
zycS7v.jpg

78xYi3.png

Nate's in-game model
27051806085_74dc19d518_o.png

2oaIph.png

uncharted4_athiefsendk7s6m.png

One of side characters:
26968964366_f3ea46fd81_o.png

Next-Gen rocks physics:
cP2xQME.gif

dynamic self shadowing in foliage
uncharted-4_-a-thiefsx6utz.gif

Bonus: horizon looks gorgeous too
32272656804_ccca70cc7e_o.png

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I'm playing maxed out on PC but I have to give it to Metro Exodus. I don't think I've seen a better looking game. It's stunning.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Uncharted 4 baby
zycS7v.jpg

78xYi3.png

Nate's in-game model
27051806085_74dc19d518_o.png

2oaIph.png

uncharted4_athiefsendk7s6m.png

One of side characters:
26968964366_f3ea46fd81_o.png

Next-Gen rocks physics:
cP2xQME.gif

dynamic self shadowing in foliage
uncharted-4_-a-thiefsx6utz.gif

Bonus: horizon looks gorgeous too
32272656804_ccca70cc7e_o.png

LOL! You do know what all of these screenshots you have put up look standard on every game out today. Foliage has been self-shadowing for years now. Rock physics? RDR2 has that and more. The hair on Drake (and every other game) looks bad because it's not real strands of hair. Again, most games implement the same features. Lighting is lacking.. on every game except RDR2 and Metro RTX.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
God of War or Horizon.

I wasn't all that impressed with the visual quality of RDR 2's world. The characters were especially ugly.

User banned (permanent): Ignoring warnings and attacking the staff after instigating personal insults. Long history of hostility towards other members.
Bruv, I roll my eyes into my butt hole because your name is Angel Whispers, you talk like you sniff your own farts and perhaps enjoyed Plato in your art history class a bit too much. You could have mentioned those games and no one would have batted an eye because people have already been mentioning those games throughout this thread with their own interpretation of "best looking" not necessarily pertaining to the representational. People laughed at your post because you came in acting like a pompous silly boy. Least that's why I laughed at it, and your follow up essay.

Why must thou be so silly, o Angel Whispers who hails from the Wilderness.

I want to remind the ResetEra moderators that I, the person being bullied in this thread, defended myself, because I haven't been protected here. However, doing so meant that I was warned. So, I will quote this post to highlight the kind of posts that I am often subject to for expressing harmless preferences about video games. This isn't the first time, by the way. I will quote this post to show other users that you can be THIS hostile to each other, and the moderators will not warn you. But should you ever find yourself on the end of these type of posts, and you bite back, they will warn you. I will quote this post to highlight the complicity of moderators in bullying and hostile practice. All I have done here, like others, is express a preference. When asked to explain my reasoning, I did so in good faith. I didn't owe anybody an explanation, but I did so in good faith, hoping that other members would see that this discussion can be so much more. I never asked anybody to agree with me, and I didn't ask for anybody's opinion in response, but for the member who asked, if he was genuinely interested in my thought process, I offered it. I shouldn't have to feel worried when I see an alert on here!! I do not feel safe on ResetEra.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL! You do know what all of these screenshots you have put up look standard on every game out today. Foliage has been self-shadowing for years now. Rock physics? RDR2 has that and more. The hair on Drake (and every other game) looks bad because it's not real strands of hair. Again, most games implement the same features. Lighting is lacking.. on every game except RDR2 and Metro RTX.
You know what Uncharted 4 has that RDR2 doesn't? Good HDR and honestly it goes a long way

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider for me, at 4K on PC. I was literally leaning into the screen to try and take in all the detail (and still failing).

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
This is a no-brainer for me. RDR2 is completely a next-gen (PS5) game and will dwarf every other game this gen in technical prowess.

After loading up and playing some of Metro: Exodus, the only words I can say are "wow". Simply PS6 level of graphics. The lighting is amazing in RDR2, but going to ray-tracing with completely 0 light maps is a godsend. EVERY single object has the proper occlusion.

Metro on RTX is just on another level and should be compared when the PS6s come out. Which is quite awhile from now.

Why are you doing this in a thread about personal picks?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Horizon. As nice as newer games like RDR or god of war may be, horizon still manages to wow me more and I think the only game that might top it is death stranding.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because I want to know "why" some of these personal picks became personal picks? Or should we all just list the games and move on (which would make an extremely boring thread)?

They pick them because they think they're the best looking. As per usual you only feel the need to downplay or take particular issue with those singling out PS exclusives. Your ridiculous sodium levels and schtick is just so tired and repetitious.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Because I want to know "why" some of these personal picks became personal picks? Or should we all just list the games and move on (which would make an extremely boring thread)?

But you did just that in your original comment. You named a game without aesthetic/tech explanation and moved on to question why others picked something different.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
But you did just that in your original comment. You named a game without aesthetic/tech explanation and moved on to question why others picked something different.

Yes, I did and if someone would have asked me why, I would have gone into detail.

Don't get defensive just because I asked why. This is a discussion.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yes, I did and if someone would have asked me why, I would have gone into detail.

Why would anyone question your personal pick in this thread? It's your perceptual opinion, be it rather strange to compare a current-gen game with something (PS5 software) you know jack about.

You didn't just ask why, you were laughing at the poster for sharing his pick. And this isn't the first time you've singled out exclusives on a particular platform.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Except you never actually asked why, you just did your usual salt filled tirade of downplaying, mocking and criticising.

Not that you'd even genuinely care what people responded with beyond looking for more excuses to downplay or deride. You're as predictable as they come.

Oct 26, 2017
On a technical level, I'd say Red Dead Redemption 2, although stuff like God of War and Spider-Man, save for faces on the latter game, also look damn remarkable. But, in terms of what's visually appealing to me, stuff like the latest Zelda, Persona 5, Dragon Ball FighterZ, or Rocket League are more to my taste. Mario Kart 8 in particular looks very nice to me too

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
For me it's got to be between RDR 2, Uncharted 4, and Detroit: Become Human, all amazing looking games.

RDR 2 did it amazing all in an open world too though, which in of itself probably puts it at the top because Uncharted/Detroit did theirs on a much smaller more confined scale which is generally easier to make at a higher fidelity vs the large open world of RDR 2 or others like Horizons.