• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are most people only pick realistic looking game? Lots of good art style beside realistic

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I never like to jam every game into a "best looking" category because every game has its stengths and weaknesses. That said, based on games I've actually played:

• Best Looking Cars = Forza Horizon 4 (I've never played GT Sport so not sure if those are better)
  • Best 3D Character Models = Uncharted 4 or Injustice 2 (I think some folks forget just how fucking amazing the facial motion capture in Injustice 2 was)
  • Best Looking Outdoor Environments = A complete three-way tossup between Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War on the PS4 Pro and Red Dead Redemption 2 on the 1X. Pick your favorite.
  • Best Looking Interior Environments = Assassin's Creed: Unity or Resident Evil 2 (both games have brilliant lighting and need to be played on PC to fully appreciate it)
  • Best 3D Character Animation = Uncharted 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, or Dragonball FighterZ
  • Best 2D Character Animation = Dead Cells or BlazBlue: Central Fiction
  • Best Art DIrection/Overall Aesthetic = Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, or Bloodborne
  • Best 2D Art Style = Dead Cells

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
God of War,Red Dead Redemption 2 and Uncharted 4/TLL.
Hard to choose one,but in animations Uncharted wins easy.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
My pick is The Division PC version:

Here are a collection of my favorites (lots of images incoming):

79F4F1F67857E57641C6E7CA22E1FFFD189930BD

2AD1567E212123CD789DF75DBADE90267505B95C

2A504E734495191A81049C7F840BC714DB0B2292

6qMED5u.png

ICwba6M.png

Im2w9Fi.png

JqIbOBV.png

WeASECU.png

HG3CIvC.png

9IU8LBq.png

Vp5HOPr.png
To me it will be Zelda BotW. I do not own any other current gen consoles beside Switch but in terms of art direction there is nothing like it. I have not seen a game that does atmospheric lighting better. There is a reason why half of my screenshots are taken in Zelda, half in all of my games combined (and I have a full 200 gb card).

Cuphead, Super Mario Odyssey and ARMS are other games with incredible art direction. ARMS will be one of those 3D games that will still look delicious in 10 years time, like Wind Waker would.
See above, The Division blows BOTW out of the water with atmospheric lighting.

Oct 25, 2017
This is so hard to say. Maybe Horizon Zero Dawn. It's constantly aesthetically pleasing.

We should come back to this thread in the Fall 2020. There will be some new really interesting contenders.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Metro and BF V with RTX.

After loading up and playing some of Metro: Exodus, the only words I can say are "wow". Simply PS6 level of graphics. The lighting is amazing in RDR2, but going to ray-tracing with completely 0 light maps is a godsend. EVERY single object has the proper occlusion.

Metro on RTX is just on another level and should be compared when the PS6s come out. Which is quite awhile from now.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My list, in order:

1. Metro Exodus (PC)
2. Forza Horizon 4 (PC)
3. RDR 2 (X One X)
4. GoW (PS4 pro)
5. Anthem (PC)

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Havent played horizon in about a year and just gave it a shot on my oled, holy fuck its pretty, defienietly stomps rdr2 on my pro. Wonder how it would have compared if i had the X. Man cant wait for hzd 2 on ps5.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem looks great on consoles but on pc it looks even better. Probably the best looking game I've seen.

Rdr2 is a very close second. And horizon an even closer third.

Oct 27, 2017
It's still Horizon for me. A dark horse though is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's gorgeous on the X and the HDR implementation is one of the best.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Batman Arkham Knight. Despite being nearly 4 years old and running on a last gen engine, it looks damn incredible.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
I think I would say doom 2016. Perhaps other games look better on a moment to moment basis but nothing is as performant while looking as smooth and clean as doom. Amazing achievement to me.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of things I like (which is lots and lots of parallax occlusion mapping) I still think Uncharted 4 looks the best.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 3

There are points in the Tangled, Toy Story, and Frozen world's where I genuinely thought they were just reusing clips from the films. It was insane.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Order 1886, God of War or Horizon. Uncharted 4 too.

I have a feeling Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us could end up in the mix as well.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
RDR2 technically.

Playing that intro felt like a doctored E3 demo..but its actually running on the damn console at home.

Its just unbelievable.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Detroit Become Human for the characters details
RDR2 for the draw distance of its open world with very little pop up (amazing technical achievement) even on a base PS4
The Last Guardian for fictional creature animations and detail
Cuphead for its old school cartoon art style

Horizon Zero Dawn / Uncharted 4 as great looking overall

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: hostility
Well, Your post revealed to me that you have an ass for a head, and seeing as that's where your butt hole resides, your thread-turding shouldn't be a surprise.

Bruv, I roll my eyes into my butt hole because your name is Angel Whispers, you talk like you sniff your own farts and perhaps enjoyed Plato in your art history class a bit too much. You could have mentioned those games and no one would have batted an eye because people have already been mentioning those games throughout this thread with their own interpretation of "best looking" not necessarily pertaining to the representational. People laughed at your post because you came in acting like a pompous silly boy. Least that's why I laughed at it, and your follow up essay.

Why must thou be so silly, o Angel Whispers who hails from the Wilderness.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
While not necessarily my top overall picks, the presentation of God of War and Spiderman exudes that "next-gen now" feeling more than anything else I've played this gen.

Don't get me wrong, I find RDR2's vistas awe inspiring, but my jaw did just hit the floor last night completing Spiderman's final act. It is a less visually consistent game, but the moments where Spiderman shines are top in class.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
No technically the best but IMO Bloodborne and Persona 5 have the best art styles.

Technically Red Dead Redemption 2 by a considerable distance IMO. So much detail.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
To me it will be Zelda BotW. I do not own any other current gen consoles beside Switch but in terms of art direction there is nothing like it. I have not seen a game that does atmospheric lighting better. There is a reason why half of my screenshots are taken in Zelda, half in all of my games combined (and I have a full 200 gb card).

Cuphead, Super Mario Odyssey and ARMS are other games with incredible art direction. ARMS will be one of those 3D games that will still look delicious in 10 years time, like Wind Waker would.

Makes sense when you only play Switch games but have you not seen games on other platforms?

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Astro Bot is the only game I've played this generation that made my jaw drop constantly. The look of the materials inside the headset makes you feel like they're real. Its fucking amazing, on pro.at least.

The resolution isn't ultra crisp but damn it does so many convincing things I've never seen before.

Jan 11, 2018
Technically, I don't feel Uncharted 4 has been topped. Art direction wise, Dark Souls III. In terms of the best overall look, I have to go with Tropical Freeze for the rock solid 60FPS, beautiful art direction, and silky smooth and expressive animations of the characters and levels. God of War is up there as well.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
1. Witcher 3 PC

Maxxed out on PC at 60+ fps this game still looks phenomenal

2. Metro Exodus PC

With RTX global illumination on, it looks absurd

3. Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Pro

Best looking console game this gen for me. I don't think any other game comes close really, even RDR2