• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your personal favorite handheld system of all time?

• Switch

Votes: 346 25.3%
  • 3DS

Votes: 139 10.2%
  • PS Vita

Votes: 201 14.7%
  • PSP

Votes: 112 8.2%
  • DS

Votes: 240 17.6%
  • Game Gear

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • Gameboy/Color/Advanced

Votes: 315 23.1%

• Total voters

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hard to decide between GBA or Switch. I think, for now, I still gotta say GBA. Mainly because a few of the mainline Nintendo games have been rather disappointing on Switch, namely Odyssey, Mario Party, and Yoshi..

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That'd be fun. Might even be able to mimic the Capcom vs SNK thing, by just trying to get every indie dev I know to allow use of characters/stuff from their games. People would want to play online though and I don't have any experience coding that kind of thing.

i'm such a sucker for the tiny tiny map sprites they made for that game. A Zeboyd universe vs game sounds goooood

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'm sure in a few years, the Switch will have my favorite library of games of any handheld I've ever had. I love handheld systems, and my dream as a kid was to have one that played games like the ones on my N64 or Gamecube (more specifically: I wanted 3D handheld gaming). The Switch is basically what I was hoping would come out back in the day.

But while I'm living the dream, my favorite is going to have to be the OG Nintendo DS, because it got to it first (or at least, started trying to do it first). Metroid Prime Hunters, Animal Crossing Wild World, Tony Hawk's American Sk8land. I even liked Rayman 2 DS (it wasn't that great of a port, so I traded it in as an adult, but when I was growing up I played a TON of it). The non 3D games I had were all great stuff too. WarioWare Touched, Pokemon Pearl (not as fun to revisit but it was great when it was THE DS Pokemon), Pokemon White (probably my favorite game in the entire series), Meteos, Advance Wars: Dual Strike (a fantastic. game that never beat and am 90% sure the cartridge is in my house somewhere but cannot for the life of me find, and I still have the box) and the Mega Man Zero Collection (yeah they were GBA games but I could never find any of them besides 2 when I was a kid so having them all on one cart as a teen was exciting). Plus it had GBA backwards compatibility! I still have my original, bulky silver model and while it's definitely falling apart, it's such a great little system and whenever I visit my parent's I usually bust it out for a little bit.

And even without any of that, I could have just said "this system let me play Super Mario 64 in bed" and called it a day. I could sell off all of the DS games I own, but I don't think I could part with Super Mario 64 DS. Yes, I know analog stick controls are better and Luigi breaks the game. No, I don't care.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
The fact that the switch getting so many votes and its not even halfway through its life is a testament to the quality of the switch.

No doubt. I was just saying that I personally prefer to evaluate a system's place on my list when it is around the end of life. That way we can judge the entire history of the system. Just my preference and I think the Switch has been amazing so far

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
3DS (White, color-buttoned New 3DS with face plates). I really miss Street Pass and the ruggedness of the hardware with the Switch.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
OG Gameboy. Gimme that spinach screen, Tetris, Solitaire FunPak, and a huge supply of batteries and I could survive the Apocalypse for quite a while.

I suppose I'd prefer a GB Pocket if I'm being real.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Arhh shucks, sorry man, my sleepy ass missed that.
Yes the vita was a great piece of hardware no doubt, the screen was nice being an OLED, the ergonomics were good too.
Overall I would say they are on par if you take into consideration the time they were in (because if you don't the switches specs smash the Vitas), also the switch has better analogs.

But a worst 2-pad - well until the Switch Lite but who wants to buy that product when you can get the bigger screen and dock-capability.

Also PS4 remote play was pretty incredible with Vita. And an item for OS, it actually had incredible PS1 support. Lack of VC is awful on Switch (I get it, why does Nintendo want to cut into it's "Classic" hardware releases but it still sucks).

And obviously in context of time.

Actually, now that I think about it, I may put Vita up on games when you consider PS1 support. I can play Xenogears and Suikoden II on the go. My 2 favourite games of all time. Switch is getting up there though with the recent Square Enix releases.

But original games? GBA by a mile with the Switch having the possibly to usurp it as its finally console level gaming while every other time before it you were making sacrifices for "on the go". Switch is changing that up. Vita tried to change it up but it didn't have the original games to do it.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Miss my GBA SP. That thing was amazing back in the day. Was a very manageable size to take around in my pocket. The backlight made those long road trips with my family go by so quickly.

Feb 10, 2018
But a worst 2-pad - well until the Switch Lite but who wants to buy that product when you can get the bigger screen and dock-capability.

Also PS4 remote play was pretty incredible with Vita. And an item for OS, it actually had incredible PS1 support. Lack of VC is awful on Switch (I get it, why does Nintendo want to cut into it's "Classic" hardware releases but it still sucks).

And obviously in context of time.

Actually, now that I think about it, I may put Vita up on games when you consider PS1 support. I can play Xenogears and Suikoden II on the go. My 2 favourite games of all time. Switch is getting up there though with the recent Square Enix releases.

But original games? GBA by a mile with the Switch having the possibly to usurp it as its finally console level gaming while every other time before it you were making sacrifices for "on the go". Switch is changing that up. Vita tried to change it up but it didn't have the original games to do it.

Wait.... I thought we talking about hardware and OS?
Is remote play a part of that?
If it is then being able to dock and play switch on the TV is part of the convo too.

It's OK if you prefer the vita, a lot here seem to.

Stayfone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Without the Divine clicky-stick NeoGeo Pocket Color this topic is null and void.

NGPC5.1419978991.0.jpg
Was gonna post this.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Gameboy Micro. The small screen made the images razor sharp in clarity.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to drop my latest project here....

0Mush8e.jpg

GYWRdYb.jpg

Glass screen protector, rainbow changing power LED, washed yellow backlight... about the only things I could do to make it more perfect is install a LiOn battery (have everything I need to do it) and maybe a brightness control for the backlight.

A few of my other works:

Qw8KMOy.jpg

KbAlq6Q.jpg

tqhKKYz.jpg

CGXpxWd.jpg

bgbQRUK.jpg

RuKR4Wh.jpg

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.... I thought we talking about hardware and OS?
Is remote play a part of that?
If it is then being able to dock and play switch on the TV is part of the convo too.

It's OK if you prefer the vita, a lot here seem to.

Remote play is the opposite. I could use the Vita to play my PS4 remotely. On the go PS4. It wasn't ideal due to the shoulder buttons but was still pretty awesome in a lot of games.

And yeah, all of that is under hardware and OS. It's an OS software feature to be able to remote play. It's a hardware feature to dock the Switch.

Now PSP also had the ability to play on TV via component cables. So did the GBA with the gameboy player add-on for Gamecube.

DS, Vita, and 3DS didn't have the ability with anything official.

alejo0121

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was the Nintendo DS Lite. It was the first console I bought with my hard earned money and it felt magical.

The last console I had was a GBA SP that I received as a gift and then sold because I didn't have many games nor money to buy them... It was almost 5 years later that I got the DS Lite, I loved it.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Switch for me

I owned a bunch of systems but I rarely spent huge amounts of time on them. That wasn't the case with the Switch. The fact that I can play at work then go home and dock it then pick up where I left off is awesome.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to burst your balloon guys, but Switch doesn't count. This is the official ruling.

I love the GBA, always and forever.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Switch isn't even through half it's gen, it's really hard to claim it's the best hand held ever without any sort of context. New things are always shiny and cool. The cut off really should have been the 3DS and Vita since they are actually dead.

Feb 10, 2018
Remote play is the opposite. I could use the Vita to play my PS4 remotely. On the go PS4. It wasn't ideal due to the shoulder buttons but was still pretty awesome in a lot of games.

And yeah, all of that is under hardware and OS. It's an OS software feature to be able to remote play. It's a hardware feature to dock the Switch.

Now PSP also had the ability to play on TV via component cables. So did the GBA with the gameboy player add-on for Gamecube.

DS, Vita, and 3DS didn't have the ability with anything official.

4jtdjs1du0111.gif

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
PSP Go, had SONY shipped it today in today's diskless world it would ship a lot of units and would save SONY's handheld legacy.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Vita is still probably my favourite from just a straight up build quality stand point. Those things feel good to hold.

The Switch is the best overall though. Such an amazing library already and being able to dock it is just great.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I voted the Switch because being a home console (which is like 95% of how I use it) hybrid with an excellent design makes it easily better than everything else, but the (New) 3DS has the superior form factor for a dedicated handheld and can be hacked to literally include my entire Nintendo handheld library on a single device. I guess if I was only counting game library specifically for a device, tough call between DS and GBA but Switch will eventually outpace them.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
GBA and DS were the last handhelds I really loved. A lot of quirky stuff and more non-indie developers were still willing to make pretty fleshed-out 2D games.

"They're pretty much console games but you can carry them around" has never been an appealing concept to me and it's resulted in them taking on form factors I find uncomfortable, so I eventually got bored with the PSP and 3DS, have been kinda meh about the Switch and never use it as a handheld, and never even bothered buying a Vita.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Hard chooice but I will have to pick Gameboy it was the first one I owned so has a specal place for me.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I liked my GB Pocket, PSP, PSP GO, and Vita. That said, I've never enjoyed a handheld quick like the Switch. For now I'm going with Switch, but I can't tell if it will stand the test of time. The PSP is my personal runner up.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Where's Neo Geo Pocket Color? I like fighting games, so NGPC was like a dream come true. Switch is probably my #2 and will become #1 at this rate.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'll go with the 3ds because of how good of a jrpg console it was with the huge added benefice of giving access to the DS ( which I never owned ) library.
With games like Xenoblade 2, Octopath or Fire emblem TH; the Switch has the potential to take that place for me, but with the ( current ) lack of support from say, Atlus, with a licences like etrian odyssey still missing on Switch, it still feel like a downgrade in comparison.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo Switch is probably my favorite Nintendo hardware ever so I think that's my favorite handheld system of all time.

The DS Lite and PSP would be a close second for me. Never owned a Vita. I really disliked the 3DS for some reason. Lol.

I have a soft spot for the GBA Micro though. What a cute little system. Bought the famicom edition. Lol.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'm very biased but Switch so very easily wins this for me as I was never big on handhelds since I was a kid (though I got more and more interested as the technology improved).

Switch is what I've been waiting for since the gameboy. I always hated "losing games" to the handhelds.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I went with DS because the Lite was the prettiest hardware and it was also GBA cartridge compatible