• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I mean dude you aren't even trying. This sounds like 100% hell.

INFRACTION: Multiple hairstyles outside conventional/allowed styles
RE-EDUCATION CAMP: Re-learn your love of government! One hair-style for all supports us all, peace in unity, peace in unity
*Person crying and screaming, just for the freedom to style their hair*
SENT TO HELL ISLAND, NEVER TO RETURN

The island isn't hell. It's huge and free of the rules of my one world government.

Break the rules, we'll try again and teach you why the rules are in place for the good of humanity. Still don't want to follow the rules. That's cool, but you then must live on this giant tropical island that is like the old world.

My world has no capital punishment, no prison and no military.

OP, what job would artists be assigned?

And if their special skill is art, who is to decide that they're skilled or not? Who decides that somebody is skilled at choosing whether other artists are skilled or not?

They would be assigned an artist job. Art still would exist in some form.

I know we've been thinking about this for some time, but a lot of the details haven't been figured out yet.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
All the same hairstyles and clothes would not be a good time. People still express themselves artistically through their appearance.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Religion as it's defined in your system is not needed for that or even necessarily the root of that. Hell modern conservatism is more a religion in that sense but without your first criteria.

well probably because modern conservatism has a religious background.

If hate and ignorance are your targets than they can be addressed more directly without implementing a cultural expression death police.

And that's a perfect valid critic because nobody can get a perfect, ideal civilization on the first try.

how about joining my cabinet :v

this thread is fun.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking strictly about the short-term that moves us towards a better world. And ignoring major topics for the sake of keeping this concise:

* Flood the Saharan depressions with water from the Mediterranean to partially compensate for the melting ice caps in terms of sea level. This will form salt water lakes in the Sahara that will cause precipitation and encourage vegetation to form around its rims as well as helping to combat desertification in the Sahel
* Establish major funding to study how to wipe out the mosquito, it's consequences, it's benefit, etc. The Americas didn't have mosquitos until Europeans came knocking; the environment and humanity can and will adapt to life without them
* Open a money firehose into research and implementation of green energy and into alternative manufacturing processes that produce less greenhouse gases

I have no idea how you fix humans and I want no part of trying to solve that mess

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The island isn't hell. It's huge and free of the rules of my one world government.

Break the rules, we'll try again and teach you why the rules are in place for the good of humanity. Still don't want to follow the rules. That's cool, but you then must live on this giant tropical island that is like the old world.

They would be assigned an artist job. Art still would exist in some form.

I know we've been thinking about this for some time, but a lot of the details haven't been figured out yet.
But who decides that the artist's skill is art?

And who decides who is a good decider for that?

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
TrtMPC2.gif

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Basically Anarcho-communism implemented everywhere.
No overarching power structures, no currency, no slave wages etc.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Everybody would want to get to party island

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, I'm trying to not cry from laughter from OP's dystopian hellscape of a "utopia."

Citizen: What about personal freedom? Creativity? Free expression?

OP:
6993517-5587583-1280011587-cb31b.gif

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
OP is almost certainly not LGBT, artistic or creative, at all. I'd venture a guess that you're a straight white male with little interest in any of your heritage?

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

OP, have you ever read Brave New World? Because this idea is literally straight from the book. And a lot of other ones in here are pretty similar (government controlled clothing, government assigned jobs and the idea that everyone needs to have a job, a single world government split into smaller regions, no more nationalism because everyone's the same). And obviously taking inspiration from one of the most well known dystopias in fiction doesn't sound like a great idea.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
OP, have you ever read Brave New World? Because this idea is literally straight from the book. And a lot of other ones in here are pretty similar (government controlled clothing, government assigned jobs and the idea that everyone needs to have a job, a single world government split into smaller regions, no more nationalism because everyone's the same). And obviously taking inspiration from one of the most well known dystopias in fiction doesn't sound like a great idea.

I'll be honest, Brave New World has always been on my "to read" list. Pretty certain my wife hasn't read it either.

What's life for citizens like in this story (without spoilers if possible)

Oct 29, 2017
This thread is pumping out some pretty terrifying ideas...

I have no idea what an ideal or perfect planet looks like, because I don't know how we would ever accomplish that goal. But I know that MY ideal for myself and family would be to live sustainably from the land as much as we can, on a plot of land to ourselves, and providing excess food we grow to the communities around us. Solar panels for additional energy, a well water source, things like that. Reducing a carbon footprint as much as possible.

I suppose if everyone did that then that would be as close to my ideal as we could achieve.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this thread is proving the horseshoe theory, some of these ideas are legitimately fascist, authoritarian, oppressive, and dystopian. I mean my god

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The horseshoe theory is nonsense.

There are some radical ideas in this thread, I haven't seen anything that could be labeled fascist at all.
You want to dictate what people wear, how they look and what they do for a living in your perfect world.

I'm not surprised you're blind to what fascism looks like. But I'm guessing this is a troll thread.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I wear my silly JoJo's mariner hat for myself and only myself. And I will attack and dethrone any god or man who tries to take that from me.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I honestly can't get over how horrible your world would be OP! I'd rather live in Souls worlds than yours.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Post-scarcity, luxury automated communism. And I don't think it's an unrealistic possibility. Just maybe not in my lifetime.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Question about the island that everybody who disobeys the rules gets sent to: do you just put all the nonviolent offenders who want a different haircut in with the murderers and violent offenders?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I feel like this thread is proving the horseshoe theory, some of these ideas are legitimately fascist, authoritarian, oppressive, and dystopian. I mean my god
Horseshoe theory is nonsense and has been demonstrably debunked. Fishhook is a much more accurate representation.

The "center" usually gets pulled right and the left has no capacity for fascism.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You want to dictate what people wear, how they look and what they do for a living in your perfect world.

I'm not surprised you're blind to what fascism looks like. But I'm guessing this is a troll thread.

Fascism is far-right ultranationalism controlled under a dictatorship. Fascism does not allow any political opposition at all and is keen on political violence and war.

This is in stark contrast to my ideal vision.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd vote for a Culture-like society.

OP's vision is a bit weird IMO. In a perfect world, why would the government tell you what your job is? Your job would be whatever you wanted to do. Jobs that are necessary for society but no one would want to do (like, say sewer maintenance) would be done by robots.

If you want a new tv you just get one. Why the point system?

And mandating uniformity of appearance is creepy as fuck. I mean, I get that in the real world fashion is often code for hierarchical class, and it sucks. But the problem is the class hierarchy, not that people want to look cool.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Fascism is far-right ultranationalism controlled under a dictatorship. Fascism does not allow any political opposition at all and is keen on political violence and war.

This is in stark contrast to my ideal vision.
You want to concentrate the population of people who look different from your uniformed masses on a prison island. Maybe you'll call it a camp to make it seem less threatening.

This is definitely a troll thread.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
OP should move to True Korea, it has everything on his checklist, including government mandated hairstyles :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You want to concentrate the population of people who look different from your uniformed masses on a prison island. Maybe you'll call it a camp to make it seem less threatening.

This is definitely a troll thread.

The island isn't a prison. In fact some might call it freedom. It's very much like the world is now, but on a huge island.

You can think this is a troll thread, but the thread actually came from a conversation my wife and I were having about ideal future, which sprung out of a Brexit conversation.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just feel like the majority would be against you so you and your supporters would be the ones who get shipped off to the island.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
There's not really a perfect world because humans are complicated and can holdany contradictory beliefs at the same time. Like I don't disagree with the idea of a world government with executive power over each nation, hell I think it's the logical end goal. Personal freedoms still need to be a thing. Sure it will cause social problems but everyone being "the same" is not possible. My personal idea of a good system is everyone on the planet has their basic needs taken care of (Food, shelter, medical, etc) but if you want to work you can. Capitalism isn't gone but it's the mechanism we use to improve the lives that are already good. My biggest sticking point about our current system is that we believe we need poverty otherwise people won't do things. That's a lie the right keeps pushing. We can get rid of poverty on a global basis, give everyone what they need to survive, and still have a way for people to gain wealth if they choose to. So if people want to spend their whole lives smoking weed and playing video games. Do it, you won't have to fear being poor. Or if people want to make the world a better place, or gain their own personal wealth, or just explore the world they can do that also. Basically I want the strongest global social systems we can possibly make. I don't think it's possible, definitely not in my life time but I think once automation becomes a bigger threat to basic employment we are gonna have to start providing for everyone's basic needs.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Ok after hearing about the island that's just like the old world I'm convinced this is a really good troll thread. I've laughed at many of OP's messages.

Oct 26, 2017
The horseshoe theory is nonsense.

There are some radical ideas in this thread, I haven't seen anything that could be labeled fascist at all.

Well your own post is guilty of fascist thought, so I'm not sure how you can say that

One world government. No more nations means no more nationalism.
Who would be selected to run a one world government? How would politicians succeed in this system? How would the selection process to obtain power work? What would protect minority peoples from the will of the majority? How would cultural histories that have shaped politics through philosophy and religion be overcome to pursue a peaceful, progressive, tolerant society?

Free housing. The government will provide you with housing, UBI benefit and will assign you a job based on your skills, so you'll never need to search for a job again.
If you are eliminating money, what is the purpose of UBI? How will free housing be distributed equally between areas of incredibly high and low population? How will the pursuit of individual freedom be preserved if a government is deciding in what way you will best serve the state/world government? (which is literally fascist, by the way)

No more capitalism or money and no more materialistic objects. Everything will be government issued, including clothing and phones. Everyone will wear the same clothing, have the same shoes, the same phone, the same hair styles etc.
So everyone will be forced into uniformity, denied anything "materialistic" (which is a weird position to take on a video game forum as anything non-essential can be defined as materialistic, and basically you will destroy individualism in the pursuit of surface-level equality? This also implies the destruction of culture, diversity, and the history of peoples throughout the world.

So not only are you taking away people's agency to pursue their life their way, but you are also taking away their individuality and identity? Really hope the alarm bells are ringing for you by now

If you do well at your job and also do well within society, you'll be rewarded with points. These points can be exchanged for luxury items like a holiday or new television.
So money? And isn't television a materialistic object? What will be done if someone fails at their assigned job or hates the work?

Right wing policies and politics are banned. Everything is left or far-left only.
Not only banning political parties, but political thought. What will be done if right wingers organize? What will be done to any opposition party/movement that opposes your one world government? Is political thought even possible in a world where people are treaded as cogs in a machine (once again, literally fascism)

No more armed forces. If we're all under a one world government, there is no war or conflict. That means no guns, tanks, warships etc. All of that is scrapped. All the money that we used to spend killing each other is now put towards science, medical research etc. Basically anything that benefits mankind.
So there will be no crime, no resistance, no dissent? How will that be enforced? How will violent individuals be dealt with?

And my god, "if we're all under a one world government, there is no war or conflict" sounds like it was ripped right out of a dystopian movie. Nations aren't the only source of war, you know. Ever hear of civil war or revolution? Cause you'd be seeing a lot of it!

No more prison system and no police. Each micro region will decide on either punishment or redemption how it sees fit.
So a micro region has full discretion over how to punish? Without police, how are punishments given? Without prisons, where are the dangerous held? If a region decides political dissent is punishable by death, what is there to stop them? If there is no military, what is there to stop prevent a region for seceding from a one world government? Did you not think any of this through?

There are still lots that myself and my wife need to iron out, but I was happy that we both shared the same idea of a paradise vision of Earth, although we know full well this would never happen in our life times.
Your "paradise" holds similar practices to things people have literally fled from in human history and is honestly horrifying. I really hope you rethink your principles because this is an incredibly authoritarian and fascist society you just dreamt up.

I mean this has to be a troll thread, please for the love of god tell me you're joking

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Gay luxury space communism, with a heavy dose of the singularity. Humanity has now merged with machine and become greater than the sum of its parts. We've all traded our weak fleshy bodies for immortal, nigh-indestructible ones that are otherwise functionally identical on the outside. And we can change our physical form at will.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I would definitely be forming an army with people on the island to attack the mainland with

Impossible. Guns (any projectile weapon) bombs, tanks etc have been banned and destroyed. All that remains are melee weapons. The mainland and the rules are enforced by the citizen watch as well. You wouldn't have the manpower.

Although I've also outlawed war, so actually you might be able to take over and there would be nothing my civilization could do to stop it.

But what would actually happen is it would all start again but with whatever title that region has.

Citizens Watch, which changes yearly via a lottery, enforce the rules and would prevent this

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible. Guns (any projectile weapon) bombs, tanks etc have been banned and destroyed. All that remains are melee weapons. The mainland and the rules are enforced by the citizen watch as well. You wouldn't have the manpower.

Although I've also outlawed war, so actually you might be able to take over and there would be nothing my civilization could do to stop it.
On the island we will make bows and arrows that shoot fire and overrun the mainland with our numbers. Citizens will either join us or have no power to stop us

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
If I can put on my full hippie-kumbayah hat, maybe some kind of general solarpunk world, where humanity gets to a place where our relationship with technology is sustainable and harmonious with the natural world, we get past letting our socio-political systems be driven by hate, fear, racism, and nationalism(and the political actors who would exploit these things), and we come to a framework of human relationships where we seek to free and empower each other instead of dominating each other.

tumblr_p18hlvmLVD1wlcmtio1_1280.jpg

Obviously, a little bit easier said than done

Definitely not, uh, a world where the state chooses what you wear or a world where you get sentenced to a re-education camp for religious expression

Oct 26, 2017
Horseshoe theory is nonsense and has been demonstrably debunked. Fishhook is a much more accurate representation.

The "center" usually gets pulled right and the left has no capacity for fascism.
Fish hook theory is absolutely nonsensical as the center is relative to a political system, and leftism when pursued to the extremes have led to totalitarian societies with authoritarian and fascist qualities such as Stalinist Russia or modern day North Korea.

Horse shoe theory isn't a perfect idea and not necessarily one I subscribe to, but if OP is not trolling then he has created quite an authoritarian society in the pursuit of leftist ideals.

It's a self serving theory that ultimately says "everybody is wrong and bad except me"