• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Epilogue

Alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Why do I feel that a small vocal minority of ERA has some vendetta against OLED TVs? Consistently people voice out "I told you so" while voicing their choice in LCD/LED despite those having significant issues too.

I mean, weren't there reports that OLED has a smaller chance of burn in when compared to plasma?

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 2019 OLEDs look great, but given the cost of the 77" models, I'm not really interested in taking the chance. I've owned several plasma TVs, and never had a problem beyond temporary IR until I picked up a Panasonic 65VT60 that developed burn-in a year or so after purchase. Broke it in properly, ran slides and test patterns to clear IR overnight after long gaming sessions, still burned in. That was the point I decided I was done micromanaging my viewing habits. Replaced it with a FALD LCD (Sony 940C) that I've been happy with for the past 3 years or so.

If I do upgrade this year, it will be an HDMI 2.1 LCD, and hopefully by the time I'm ready to upgrade that, MicroLED will be a more viable option.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonizing Other Users; History of Similar Behavior
Misinformation such as "OLED suck", "2 hours of gaming a week will cause burn-in", "plasma sucked", "it has to be babied", comparisons of OLED technology from phones vs TV (they're different) etc.

Burn in exists, image retention exists, and they're all a trade-off. The vitriol of pro vs against for OLED on this forum seems to be only be rivalled by the weird Apple vs Android forum wars. It's very odd.

In short - the best picture quality, bar none, is on OLED devices. There are trade-offs that mean it is not the best technology in every circumstance, and you should understand what you are getting in to prior to purchasing. There is no right or wrong technology, but there is a whole bunch of bullshit that people seem to pick up on and use as justification, one way or the other.

EDIT: Also, mLED will have problems, guaranteed. LCD does, OLED does etc. No technology is perfect otherwise we'd all be using it.
Why do I feel that a small vocal minority of ERA has some vendetta against OLED TVs? Consistently people voice out "I told you so" while voicing their choice in LCD/LED despite those having significant issues too.

I mean, weren't there reports that OLED has a smaller chance of burn in when compared to plasma?
Wow, the Oled defense force on here is really something. Some serious #AlternateFacts in this post..... It so bad that it feels like some of you interpret criticisms of Oleds as personal attacks smh. The persecution complex of Oled owner's in this thread is real strong.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, the Oled defense force on here is really something. Some serious #AlternateFacts in this post..... It so bad that it feels like some of you interpret criticisms of Oleds as personal attacks smh. The persecution complex of Oled owner's in this thread is real strong.
Care to point out what is incorrect about either of those posts?

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? Those posts are 100% right

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Care to point out what is incorrect about either of those posts?
Wtf? Those posts are 100% right
Well lets start with the part where the posts invent claims that were never made? Maybe we could also look at the part where posters are suggesting that there's some conspiracy against oled on the forums? Like that's just crazy talk. Persecution complex at it's finest.

Oled delivers the best picture quality? What? Oled delivers the best contrast but contrast is not the same thing as "best picture quality". There are other considerations made when assessing image quality.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to see if your OLED is a victim of "search" and "close guide" or any other UI elements, just watch a full screen orange/red/light yellow image (you can look for those "10 hours of red color" on Youtube).

Hopefully you won't find any spots on yours!

I haven't noticed any burn-in problems with my 2-year-old B6, but the last thing I'd want to do is go out of my way to watch a full screen of a particular color to find an issue that never bothered me before.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's kind of like someone running a dead pixel test after owning their TV for a while and never noticing one. It's just best to stay oblivious.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
IMO if you're spending $9000 on a tv you shouldn't have to worry about "being careless."

You should be able to watch 10,000 straight hours of CNN at max brightness if you want with no risk of damaging the TV.
All tech has compromises. Want the best PQ then you can't be ridiculous and unaware with your useage.

Also big TVs that are quality cost money. My vizio P series was 4,000 and that's for a freaking vizio. At the time a comparable Sony was 8,000 and the c8 OLED is far superior so perspective is important.

90% of the people posting in this thread who own OLED and say BI isn't an issue haven't even owned their set for 12 months.

Burn-in is something that can happen over time and it may take several thousand hours of usage for you to get it. Not something you're gonna notice in the first few months of usage, unless of course you've got your TV tuned into CNN 24/7.
Several thousand hours of useage??? Like who has time to sit in front of their tv for even 1k hours a year? That would take me about 3 years of ownership. But like I said before I owned a pio elite plasma and had no burn in and used it for everything for 3-4 years. It's really just up to the user to use some common sense for useage.

I honestly dont understand the "leds are trash" thing im reading here. I have a Q9FN and i saw it side by side next to a C8 and the C8 only looked slightly better, nothing that merits saying "not even close to any oled" because it actually looked better than any other oled i had seen that day. The internet seems to agree with me when i checked reviews on the internet, or maybe im just blind idk. Personally i just preferred the APP selection on the samsung tv like for example having the steamlink app.
If you like blacks and black detail or contrast detail from full white to deep black then yes LEDs are trash even the FALD ones.

When you're in a store with bright overhead lights LEDs will look better bc their light output is much higher and typically the material running is designed to hide their flaws.

What to see why OLED is superior? Watch AVP:R or aliens covenant or edge of tomorrow or any movie with a ton of dark detail. You'll literally see more movie on the OLED than the LCD. It's due to the nature of the tech. You can't compete with one tech using light pushed through crystals en mass to individual light emitting diodes all producing their own source individually.

On bright material LCDs can look fantastic. In the correct environment OLED looks fantastic on all material though.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If you have to use a static pattern to find where there are tiny spots of non-uniformity, but cannot see that same burn in on normal full color content, it's a non issue in my opinion. But folks who primarily watch news channels may want to be careful. And people should ensure they are off vivid mode as the brighter the display the faster it'll burn.

My E6 has been used for CNN, YouTube, all sorts of games, and tons and tons of ESPN and sports, and exhibits nothing.

I'd also advise you if you don't see any issues with your OLED to not go looking for them with static slides, cause you'll then no where issues are and always start looking for it.

And yes, even with issues it's still the definitive display tech at the moment.

Yup, nothing here and I game on it for hours.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Well lets start with the part where the posts invent claims that were never made? Maybe we could also look at the part where posters are suggesting that there's some conspiracy against oled on the forums? Like that's just crazy talk. Persecution complex at it's finest.

Oled delivers the best picture quality? What? Oled delivers the best contrast but contrast is not the same thing as "best picture quality". There are other considerations made when assessing image quality.
Almost all the specialized sites concur that the LG OLED are the best TVs in terms of picture quality and overall tho.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
All this talk about OLEDs and LCD's makes me wonder if anyone will ever bother to try and pick up the old SED tech. One could dream.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, so please post any source from trusted reviewers saying that there is a non oled TV with a better picture quality than oled. I am waiting.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Image retention is common for oled, I always get them which is why I lowered the contrast. But I think there's different quality of these tv. My friend always buys the same tv i have or similar but on ebay for like half the price and always has burn in problems, I keep telling him that those ebay tv are probably low grade products or something. Because I abuse my plasma I had and oled and the image retention always comes off. I remember my plasma had the street fighter 4 hud image retention for like a year, i thought it was burned in but it came off eventually when I quit the game.
I had the panasonic Gt 30, and oled E7, my friend had the panasonic vier vt50, lge6,lge7. He always changes tv because of burn in lol.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
90% of the people posting in this thread who own OLED and say BI isn't an issue haven't even owned their set for 12 months.

Burn-in is something that can happen over time and it may take several thousand hours of usage for you to get it. Not something you're gonna notice in the first few months of usage, unless of course you've got your TV tuned into CNN 24/7.

The OLED defense force have that mentality that there is no way that Burn In can happen and yet we have owners that do have it and they get shouted down for some reason. It is great that fans of OLED want it to be successful, but downplaying what people are experiencing makes me wonder what their motives are.

Here is an interesting fact. The majority of retailers that sell extended warranties for TV's DO NOT cover burn in. If Burn In does not happen, why would the majority of retailers specifically call out that burn in is not covered?

I am not an anit-oled person. I owned the E7 LG which was a great set but I just wanted something that had a higher brightness in HDR gaming. I did have some banding and temporary IR mainly from the Cup Head logo on the Xbox One dashboard. Outside of that I think it was a fantastic set. I am currently using a 75" Samsung QLED Q9FN and 90% of my use is for gaming and it has been fantastic with excellent HDR gaming performance.

The one thing that irks me and I know fan boys will be fan boys is when some OLED fanatics state that nothing else is worth it and that OLED is the best of the best and nothing comes close. While many reviews gives overall higher scores to OLED sets, there are other sets like the Q9Fn or some of the Sony sets that get very close. I posted this a few pages back but I think some missed it. RTings posted a story last week where they rate the best HDR gaming sets and the Q9FNwas rated the best for HDR gaming.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

I am not posting that to gloat or anything like that...I mainly posted it for those that think or try to tell everyone that OLED is the end all be all of TV's. and that nothing comes remotely close. For those that know me here, you know I buy a new TV on a yearly basis of if we take 2018 as an example I bought 2 TV's last year. I am currently eyeing the 2019 OLED's by LG as the features they are adding really sound spectacular.

Last edited:

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
The OLED defense force have that mentality that there is no way that Burn In can happen and yet we have owners that do have it and they get shouted down for some reason. It is great that fans of OLED want it to be successful, but downplaying what people are experiencing makes me wonder what their motives are.

Here is an interesting fact. The majority of retailers that sell extended warranties for TV's DO NOT cover burn in. If Burn In does not happen, why would the majority of retailers specifically call out that burn in is not covered?

I am not an anit-oled person. I owned the E7 LG which was a great set but I just wanted something that had a higher brightness in HDR gaming. I did have some banding and temporary IR mainly from the Cup Head logo on the Xbox One dashboard. Outside of that I think it was a fantastic set. I am currently using a 75" Samsung QLED Q9FN and 90% of my use is for gaming and it has been fantastic with excellent HDR gaming performance.

The one thing that irks me and I know fan boys will be fan boys is when some OLED fanatics state that nothing else is worth it and that OLED is the best of the best and nothing comes close. While many reviews gives overall higher scores to OLED sets, there are other sets like the Q9Fn or some of the Sony sets that get very close. I posted this a few pages back but I think some missed it. RTings posted a story last week where they rate the best HDR gaming sets and the Q9FNwas rated the best for HDR gaming.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

I am not posting that to gloat or anything like that...I mainly posted it for those that think or try to tell everyone that OLED is the end all be all of TV's. and that nothing comes remotely close. For those that know me here, you know I buy a new TV on a yearly basis of if we take 2018 as an example I bought 2 TV's last year. I am currently eyeing the 2019 OLED's by LG as the features they are adding really sound spectacular.
This post is wow, where to begin.

If a tv can retain an image extended warranties won't cover it because people are dumb and don't take care of their possessions. LCD extended warranties also don't cover IR does that mean LCD has an IR problem? No. Ofcourse not.

You can post all the rtings links you want. They don't mean what you think they do. You can map out all the numbers and think that since they come close to OLED they are similar when in fact they aren't. Does the Q9 have blooming? Yes. Lumpy ununiform blacks? Yes. The inability to have absolute black and white right next to each other? Yes. Then it's literally impossible for it to compare to OLED. But Gatti-man that's inherent in LCD! Yeah that's exactly my point.

Oh and higher brightness in HDR gaming? LCDs claim to fame is its peak brightness yet in actual, calibrated use peak brightness isn't nearly the bullet point it sounds to be. Bragging about whose torch mode is torchiest isn't something people that care about PQ are interested in. Massive brightness in HDR gaming just magnifies LCD's inherent flaws.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017

If a tv can retain an image extended warranties won't cover it because people are dumb and don't take care of their possessions. LCD extended warranties also don't cover IR does that mean LCD has an IR problem? No. Ofcourse not.

You can post all the rtings links you want. They don't mean what you think they do. You can map out all the numbers and think that since they come close to OLED they are similar when in fact they aren't. Does the Q9 have blooming? Yes. Lumpy ununiform blacks? Yes. The inability to have absolute black and white right next to each other? Yes. Then it's literally impossible for it to compare to OLED. But Gatti-man that's inherent in LCD! Yeah that's exactly my point.

Oh and higher brightness in HDR gaming? LCDs claim to fame is its peak brightness yet in actual, calibrated use peak brightness isn't nearly the bullet point it sounds to be. Bragging about whose torch mode is torchiest isn't something people that care about PQ are interested in. Massive brightness in HDR gaming just magnifies LCD's inherent flaws.
I can feel the anger through my screen while reading this post. The oled persecution complex on ERA is too much. Just be happy with your tv and move on with your life smh.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Did I hit a nerve or something or are you being overly sensitive? It is funny how OLED fanboys point to Rtings when defending their sets, but when I posted that they chose the Q9FN for best HDR gaming set you react the way you did.

In no way am I attacking your precious OLED set, I even had one and right now I am considering a 2019 LG OLED as my 2019 set. My point is that there are some OLED owners that are being a bit over reactive and posting that NOTHING can come close to a OLED. When in fact when you look at scores, other brands like the Sony LCD and Samsung sets rate very well. Yes, overall with last year models the OLED LG won, but the scores were close. My point again is that we have some people claiming it is not remotely even close that OLED is that superior when in fact scores tell another story. Numbers don't lie.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The "gotta baby your OLED" is the new "don't keep charging your phone battery until it is nearly depleted". Hysteria that is entirely disproportinate to the reality.

Epilogue

Alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018

I don't even have an OLED. I have an almost 5 year LCD since I'm a student...

Oct 27, 2017
Could you find me one post in this thread, from a member of the ODF, that suggests burn in can't happen? Take your time.

Here are some ace responses from you from the other thread being dismissive when the topic of burn in is brought up. You are not saying that burn in is not possible, but you can see clearly you are getting defensive about it.

I don't like the idea of having to tailor your viewing experiences for a TV you spent over 2 grand on. I've over 54 days worth of playtime on RL and there have been times when I've gone on an 8 hour binge. Why should I have to not play what I want on a premium TV? I've heard RL is one of the worst for burn in.

I'm praying that next years and 2021's high emission panels fix s lot of the burn in issues.

I mean, I have to ask, did you even watch the video you commented on?

This was regarding the rtings video from last week, which showed burning (800 hours of fifa isnt good)

or

I guess I don't see multiplayer gaming as an edge case, particularly on this forum. It's not something that I participate in, but I could see it being a worry for a lot of people in this forum's demographic.

If it is always in the back of your mind or it alters the way you use the TV, an OLED might not be for you.

If you play hundreds of thousands of hours of one multiplayer game, then burn-in is the least of your problems.

This is just a jackass reply. It is no mystery why people talk about people being overly protective regarding oleds and burn in.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here are some ace responses from you from the other thread being dismissive when the topic of burn in is brought up. You are not saying that burn in is not possible, but you can see clearly you are getting defensive about it.

This was regarding the rtings video from last week, which showed burning (800 hours of fifa isnt good)

or

This is just a jackass reply. It is no mystery why people talk about people being overly protective regarding oleds and burn in.

So you spent hours trawling through my posts (not creepy at all honest) and that was the best you could manage. Poor show. I'm not defensive about it, merely trying to educate the misinformed. I couldn't really give a toss what people buy and indeed as long as manufacturers keep producing OLED sets for me to buy, I'm happy.

For the record, again, burn-in is massively overblown an issue. Can it happen? Yup. Is it likely to happen to you? Nope. If you had a plasma and managed to escape unscathed, you will be fine with the more resilient OLED technology.

Now stop it with your creepy stalking. It's getting weird.

Oct 27, 2017
So you spent hours trawling through my posts (not creepy at all honest) and that was the best you could manage. Poor show. I'm not defensive about it, merely trying to educate the misinformed. I couldn't really give a toss what people buy and indeed as long as manufacturers keep producing OLED sets for me to buy, I'm happy.

For the record, again, burn-in is massively overblown an issue. Can it happen? Yup. Is it likely to happen to you? Nope. If you had a plasma and managed to escape unscathed, you will be fine with the more resilient OLED technology.

Hours? I posted less than 20 minutes after your post. You asked for examples. I gave them your examples where you are a constant offender. Its not really hard to find at all, there are plenty more. How about you take it down a notch.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Could you find me one post in this thread, from a member of the ODF, that suggests burn in can't happen? Take your time.

Powerofthecloud above this reply summed it up nicely with your own replies. For the records, what I said that some OLED defense force have the mentality that burn in cant happen as your very own responses make it sound like that especially the last one Powerofthecloud posted where you said and I quote "If you play hundreds of thousands of hours of one multiplayer game, then burn-in is the least of your problems." You are saying that someone can play hundreds of thousands of hours and burn in would the least of your problems. Really man?

Look, I like both technologies and I think there are some great things about both of them. I just don't get why OLED fanboys are so up in arms when people are having burn in problems and they get overly defensive about it. It does happen, I have seen OLED burn in on other peoples set. It has greatly improved as newer models are better at handling it, I just don't get why people like you are so dismissive about it. I currently own a QLED Samsung, you don't see me getting defensive because people say there is blooming or not 100% true black etc.

I get that you love your OLED but don't be so dismissive when other OLED owners have burn in.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Did I hit a nerve or something or are you being overly sensitive? It is funny how OLED fanboys point to Rtings when defending their sets, but when I posted that they chose the Q9FN for best HDR gaming set you react the way you did.

In no way am I attacking your precious OLED set, I even had one and right now I am considering a 2019 LG OLED as my 2019 set. My point is that there are some OLED owners that are being a bit over reactive and posting that NOTHING can come close to a OLED. When in fact when you look at scores, other brands like the Sony LCD and Samsung sets rate very well. Yes, overall with last year models the OLED LG won, but the scores were close. My point again is that we have some people claiming it is not remotely even close that OLED is that superior when in fact scores tell another story. Numbers don't lie.
You didnt hit a nerve more than anyone basically saying incorrect things that I know by first hand experience are incorrect does.

What I see in this thread are people like you touting vague articles and cherry picking numbers without ever really auditioning said TVs side by side vs those of us who have literally telling you objective truth. Not only that these truths are easily googleable and verifiable and yet here you are asking if I hit a nerve vs maybe questioning your preconceptions and assumptions that PQ is just numbers of max contrast or some other benchmark.

I literally have a 75" FALD p series in my living room. For me it's as easy as walking downstairs. Heaven forbid I use my two eyes when comparing TV sets lol.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

People naturally after spending a small fortune on a product are going to want to justify it. Then you have to factor in a lot of people who are the pioneers, that first group who buy into new tech are like brand ambassadors who want as many to follow as possible so it becomes mainstream and takes off.

You just have to factor that in when people tell you, no babying required and not to worry about burn in especially if your viewing habits are a direct reason to worry about burn in.

I'm not going to lie, if I bought an OLED today I'd be shitting myself. Luckily I have about 2 and a half years until my next upgrade rolls around so I'm praying they make good progress on eliminating the issue which I'm confident they will with high emission panels not far off.

I'll be paying for half with the girlfriend paying for the other half so I feel a lot of responsibility buying a big money TV she'll be expecting to last for years.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Hours??? He replied to you within 30 minutes of your post! Where do you get "hours" from?

Perhaps your brain is suffering from "burn in"?

All kidding aside you did state that burn in possible and I do disagree that it is an overblown issue though as if you go to AVS forum it is a pretty hot topic. With that said, I think people that buy a OLED should know what they are buying and what things they can do to mitigate the potential. For me I think I had my E7 for a total about 8-9 months and had 2 instances of IR, but no burn in and my set was used 90% of the time just for gaming, console and PC.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have to use a static pattern to find where there are tiny spots of non-uniformity, but cannot see that same burn in on normal full color content, it's a non issue in my opinion. But folks who primarily watch news channels may want to be careful. And people should ensure they are off vivid mode as the brighter the display the faster it'll burn.

My E6 has been used for CNN, YouTube, all sorts of games, and tons and tons of ESPN and sports, and exhibits nothing.

I'd also advise you if you don't see any issues with your OLED to not go looking for them with static slides, cause you'll then no where issues are and always start looking for it.

And yes, even with issues it's still the definitive display tech at the moment.

Pretty much. I had a Samsung S8+ for nearly 2 years, no noticeable burn in or anything from the what I could see... Went to sell it and they said there was burn in on a white screen and offered me less.

I could have used that phone easily and never noticed it. Put on a static screen and of course it'll show up.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
You didnt hit a nerve more than anyone basically saying incorrect things that I know by first hand experience are incorrect does.

What I see in this thread are people like you touting vague articles and cherry picking numbers without ever really auditioning said TVs side by side vs those of us who have literally telling you objective truth. Not only that these truths are easily googleable and verifiable and yet here you are asking if I hit a nerve vs maybe questioning your preconceptions and assumptions that PQ is just numbers of max contrast or some other benchmark.

I literally have a 75" FALD p series in my living room. For me it's as easy as walking downstairs. Heaven forbid I use my two eyes when comparing TV sets lol.

Vague articles? I posted ONE link to ONE article. And can you point me to what numbers I am cherry picking because I have not posted any numbers.

For me, it was easier that walking downstairs as I had a Sony ZD9, Q9Fn and LG E7 all in the same room all hooked up at the same time. each had things that I liked and disliked and in the end I chose the Q9Fn. The main thing that stood out to me was that for HDR gaming it looked better and brighter and the color volume seemed better. That is all. I never talked bad about OLEd as I owned one and am looking at the 77" 2019 C9 for my this year TV. It is just the reactions from the OLED fan boys that are overly defensive when someone has burn in.

I like how you claim I have not auditioned said TV's side by side, yet there are plenty of people in the TV thread that know me and that I have owned all these sets and compared them side by side. People even pop jokes about me and my TV buying habits in that thread, which is fine and I laugh along with them because I do have a serious TV buying issues lol. Oh and objective truth? Really? So you compare sets side by side but when I have done it and posted about it in the past it is not the truth. Gotcha!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The "gotta baby your OLED" is the new "don't keep charging your phone battery until it is nearly depleted". Hysteria that is entirely disproportinate to the reality.
That is the opposite of how lithium-ion batteries work. Those batteries are best topped up frequently rather than allowing them to be discharged fully, except for a full discharge/charge cycle roughly once a month.
NiCd or NiMH rechargeable batteries (typically AA or AAA) are best charged after the battery has been fully depleted rather than topped up.

And fast-charging kills batteries sooner than slower charging.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017

Well this piece of shit thread continues to be shit, doesn't it?

Anyway, "invented claims"?, here we go:

Plasma sucked

https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...-you-dont-know-yet.93033/page-4#post-16807630

sorry, it was 3 hours not 2 hours of gaming a week
https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...in-but-you-dont-know-yet.93033/#post-16799180

you have to baby it all the time
https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...-you-dont-know-yet.93033/page-2#post-16800626

talking about phones
https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...in-but-you-dont-know-yet.93033/#post-16799562

OLED best picture
https://www.avforums.com/article/editors-choice-awards-best-tvs-2018.15659

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...18-tv-shootout-scarsdale-sunday-sep-23rd.html

You lot are fucking weird - OLED is the best for every circumstance, every use case etc. Any one arguing it is, is wrong. But this thread is a cesspit.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hours??? He replied to you within 30 minutes of your post! Where do you get "hours" from?

Perhaps your brain is suffering from "burn in"?

All kidding aside you did state that burn in possible and I do disagree that it is an overblown issue though as if you go to AVS forum it is a pretty hot topic. With that said, I think people that buy a OLED should know what they are buying and what things they can do to mitigate the potential. For me I think I had my E7 for a total about 8-9 months and had 2 instances of IR, but no burn in and my set was used 90% of the time just for gaming, console and PC.

I asked him yesterday. That was the best he could come up with after accusing me of stating that burn in wasn't possible so it was a pretty lame effort all things considered. Probably because I never said that.

Fine we can disagree on the overblown issue but I wouldn't take everything posted on A.V. forums as objective either. Do some people have issues? Sure but then do people who don't make as much noise about their sets? All polls I've seen puts people with burn in in a small minority which tallies with members on here.

Last edited:

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Just going to add my own anecdotal experience with OLED burn in here.

I've had an LG C6 that I've gamed and watched a lot of sport on nearly every day since 2016 (not including my wife and lad's viewing habits) and in this time I've not encountered a single instance of screen burn in. You do get some image retention if a static image is left on screen for even a short space of time but it's gone within a few seconds.

To add to this I have two friends who own the B6 and one of them also owns a B7 too. I visit them both quite regularly and as they're not overly tech savvy they're all on vivid pre-sets and I've still not noticed any screen burn in from years of use.

I've also had a Samsung S7 until upgrading to the iPhone X and haven't encounter any screen burn in on either.

Now I'm not saying screen burn in doesn't happen on OLED because it quite clearly does but the idea that OLED screens need caring for continually has in my experience been blown out of proportion massively.

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm surpised this hasn't been posted yet (or I missed it):

Could be an affordable solution for deep blacks without burn in.

Oct 29, 2017
This is the reason why I will never buy an OLED TV.

The image quality is amazing, but they're just too fragile and prone to permanent burn-in.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surpised this hasn't been posted yet (or I missed it):

Could be an affordable solution for deep blacks without burn in.

I'd much rather that they were using IPS panels than VA panels, but it's nice to see something that should be more widely available.
They certainly did not come up with the concept, as Sharp had a prototype display in 2005, and Panasonic have 1,000,000:1 IPS displays in production that were announced in 2016: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1087...-10000001-contrast-ratio-1000-nits-brightness

Using a matte panel is certainly an interesting choice though.
I have mixed feelings about matte panels because they cut down your contrast significantly in a well-lit room, and suffer badly from glare if any light hits the panel directly, but they do a good job of minimizing reflections if you are able to angle them correctly. Even though the contrast is lower, the trade-off is often worth it, and it has little impact in a darkened room.

Murderopolis

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2019
Just going to add my own anecdotal experience with OLED burn in here.

I've had an LG C6 that I've gamed and watched a lot of sport on nearly every day since 2016 (not including my wife and lad's viewing habits) and in this time I've not encountered a single instance of screen burn in. You do get some image retention if a static image is left on screen for even a short space of time but it's gone within a few seconds.

To add to this I have two friends who own the B6 and one of them also owns a B7 too. I visit them both quite regularly and as they're not overly tech savvy they're all on vivid pre-sets and I've still not noticed any screen burn in from years of use.

I've also had a Samsung S7 until upgrading to the iPhone X and haven't encounter any screen burn in on either.

Now I'm not saying screen burn in doesn't happen on OLED because it quite clearly does but the idea that OLED screens need caring for continually has in my experience been blown out of proportion massively.

You don't sit around using your phone for hours upon hours, like a TV is used.

Every OLED will suffer burn in, if you use it enough. If you plan on using your OLED a lot, or using it has a computer monitor it can be a pretty bad choice if you want it to last for a long time.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Every OLED will suffer burn in, if you use it enough. If you plan on using your OLED a lot, or using it has a computer monitor it can be a pretty bad choice if you want it to last for a long time.
This is hyperbolic as fuck though. There are people who use OLED as PC monitors with no issue, myself included, and burn in on an OLED is certainly not a guarantee, as evidenced by all the people who have been using them for years with no burn in.

This is what OLED owners in this thread are arguing against. None of us are claiming burn in doesn't happen, or that OLED are perfect, but anybody who argues against misinformed hyperbolic bullshit like the post I quoted gets a bunch of weirdos jumping down their throats accusing them of being fanboys, it's fucking madness.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Before anyone goes "but why did you leave the Youtube app open for so long lmao" I did not. The effect is cumulative and since I watch Youtube every day on My TV it doesn't matter if the buttons are only visible for 5 minutes between 2 hours worth of videos. Since the buttons are always in the same exact spot, they age that particular area of the screen much faster that anything else. OLED doesn't like yellow or orange colors too much, they'll degrade your set at the speed of sound it seems. I've already cycled the TV, pixel refresh and everything. They're there for good.

This is something I had been worried about for a while now, since actual burn in comes from an uneven use of pixels over time. Even if you watch varied content, and even if you don't play games with the same HUD for hours on end, over time it would all add up and eventually you're going to see uneven wear. I've had mine for two-and-a-half years, and so far this hasn't yet been a problem for me (and I use my TV as a pseudo PC monitor as well that has icons at the bottom of the screen for maybe 5-10 minutes total per day unless browsing).

Not sure exactly how long of a period this would take though before it becomes noticeable. My plasma from 2009 that I still use has actual burn in (huge SF4 ultra meters across pretty much three fourths of the screen at the bottom), but it's only noticeable when first turning it and a console on, where the pixels are first having to "warm up". In actual content, I cannot see it anywhere. I plan on getting another OLED in 2020 anyway, so I guess I'll know by then if four to four-and-a-half years is enough time.

Despite this "headache", or rather inconvenience to worry about, I just can't go to any other panel tech until they can match the colors and black levels of OLED. It's simply too nice looking, and worth the hassle; to me.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This is something I had been worried about for a while now, since actual burn in comes from an uneven use of pixels over time. Even if you watch varied content, and even if you don't play games with the same HUD for hours on end, over time it would all add up and eventually you're going to see uneven wear. I've had mine for two and a half years, and so far this hasn't yet been a problem for me (and I use my TV as a pseudo PC monitor as well that has icons at the bottom of the screen for maybe 5-10 minutes total per day unless browsing).
I think a combination of panel variance and brightness/contrast settings are at play tbh. We have people getting menu buttons that are barely ever even on the screen burned in after a few months on one hand, and on the other hand ther are people who use them as PC monitors like you and I for thousands of hours with no issue. I have about 4500 hours on my B7, and I'd say at least 2000 of those hours were PC monitor useage.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Think I'll add that my B7 which I use for gaming on PC, One X and PS4 Pro that I've had for well over a year and played games with lots of HUDs including Destiny and FIFA has no issues and looks excellent. I also have an LED and would choose the OLED every time.

My parents on the other hand have a E6 which has signs of burn in where my dad has kept a football channel on nearly 24 hours a day. But it's still burn in

I don't think anyone with an OLED will deny burn in happens, least they shouldn't. But the issue is far greater in models before the 7 series.

Oh and I had a Samsung curved TV before this and the blooming etc got on my nerves far more, as did the two Samsung's that I've had that ended up with thunder flies behind the screen!!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I think a combination of panel variance and brightness/contrast settings are at play tbh. We have people getting menu buttons that are barely ever even on the screen burned in after a few months on one hand, and on the other hand ther are people who use them as PC monitors like you and I for thousands of hours with no issue. I have about 4500 hours on my B7, and I'd say at least 2000 of those hours were PC monitor useage.

Likely. Mine is mostly used in a dark room, so I have the backlight to 40. The only time it exceeds that is with HDR content, where it's at 100, but I'm not using it as a typical monitor during those uses.

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought the 5 year Geek Squad warranty that specifically covers burn in. All good a little over a year into ownership, but if I see burn in before December 2022 I can get a replacement with what should be a newer and less problem prone set.