• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I really want MicroLED to come out already... Even if it's crazy expensive to start. Just wanna see some real use case and owner trials/impressions over time.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
You really do. You can't play the same game or watch the same content that has UI elements or logos, for hours at a time. You can't have the brightness level set to anything over (x value) because it increases the risk of BI. There are precautions you need to take and it's ridiculous considering how much you pay for one.

But hey, if money isn't an issue then by all means get an OLED and use it how you want. You can always get a better TV in a year or two.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
You really do. You can't play the same game or watch the same content that has UI elements or logos, for hours at a time. You can't have the brightness level set to anything over (x value) because it increases the risk of BI. There are precautions you need to take and it's ridiculous considering how much you pay for one.

But hey, if money isn't an issue then by all means get an OLED and use it how you want. You can always get a better TV in a year or two.
Rtings has been doing a burn-in test for a year where they run the same content all day everyday. Only CNN has burned in, with FIFA only very faintly burning in which is only noticeable in test patterns, their TV playing Call of Duty is just fine.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame because OLED is auch a gorgeous technology but it's wholly unsuitable for the one thing it's intended for, and that's displaying imagery on a bright screen. I have yet to see an OLED screen make it to its second year of life without at least some slight discolouration and much more commonly some kind of static image burned into it, such as the notification panel of an Android phone or the Ultimate icon of Overwatch.

You need to come round my house and demo my 3 year old B6 then. Not a mark on it. There is definitely some panel variance though as I use youtube nearly every day and don't have burn in in the same area as the OP.

It always amuses me how people make such a big deal of the potential of burn in on an OLED then buy an LED with clouding, dirty screen effect or blooming et al, which you see every time you use them.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
One of the reasons I bought from Costco in the US. If I notice anything hopefully I'll get a brand new most recent version of whatever comparable lg oled they're selling. It came with a 5 year warranty. Fingers crossed.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OLED is cool and looks good but I don't plan on buying a new one when (not if) they get issues.

So I'll probably get something else / wait and see if MicroLED is actually better.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's why I bought the 5 year Best Buy warranty on mine. They say they cover burn in specifically. Chances are in 4-5 years whatever TV i get will be better than this C7.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't turn the TV completely off. It's the reason some people fuck their TVs up because they don't clean themselves properly.

You absolutely can do all of that without issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to baby the fuck out of my c7- had it since near release and yesterday I ran a burn in test with the full screen colours - nada :D still perfect. I know it's privably eventually gonna to happen but I haven't babied it in a long ass time and I've been playing it on near torch mode. Pleasantly surprised

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
What we have here now that there have been a few more replies is people that defending both sides. Both technologies offer different things. We have people here claiming that blooming/light bleed exist and people don't complain, but when it comes to burn in then it is a big issue. There is a BIG difference between having a burned in icon/tile/image/ticker versus blooming or clouding.

I am not defending OLED or LCD but it is comical when people say to turn down the backlighting if you want to prevent burn in. A bright image, especially in HDR is what you want, not a dim image. One of the reasons I moved from E7 LG to my current set was that the brightness level was not high enough even at a 100 backlighting, especially in HDR content. But on the other side, if a LCD has poor black level or severe blooming that can also be an issue. As I said before, both technologies are good and there are plus/minus things about each. It really comes down to the end user and what they can deal with. There is no perfect TV.

The last thing I want to bring up is about the argument of looking for issues. I am not a fan of using slides to look for issues/banding and such. What I am a fan of is looking for issues with actual content. For me, the new TV's I seem to buy on a yearly basis is for my dedicated gaming room, so for me, I test using games for issues. The reason I do this and the reason I recommend people do this is that most people buy a TV from a retail outlet and most retailers have a small window to do a return/exchange. Having to rely on the manufacturer after the retailer return window is a pain the ass to deal with.

To put it in the simplest terns is this. When you get a new set, test it with content that you will be using it for. Look for banding, look for burned pixels, if it is a LCD is the clouding or blooming acceptable along with banding. For me and being a person that has used both techs, the biggest concern is vertical banding. So when I get a new set that is what I am mainly looking for. The question arises, "Hey Hawk, why look for a problem, just enjoy your set". Well, when you are paying anywhere from $4,000-$6,000 for a new high end set, you bet your ass I am going to test that fucker before my return/exchange window expires. How would feel spending $4,000 on a new set and then 4 months later, well beyond your return window you see banding that you did not notice before? Exactly. Like I said, I don't test with slides or 10%grey slides. I have a 4-5 games that gives me a good variety of things to look for then a few movies I also use to do my testing and also as I calibrate my set. I only say to do this because TV's are expensive and you don't want to be Stuck with a bad panel that you did not notice issues with until after your return window. I rather go through my testing method for a week or so and then have the peace of mind that I have a solid panel versus discovering a issue months after.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know... You guys make it appear much worse than it actually is. I have an LG B6 for nearly 3 years. I didn't baby it whatsoever. I leave static images frequently on it, sometimes for hours. I use it every day. I've had some image retention here and there sure, and perhaps there is some form of burn-in on it, but if that is the case, I can assure you I've never noticed any of it, whatever the scenario. The static UI from all the games I play on it do not appear as something visible and bothersome when I'm done with them. I think that if you don't look for problems, more often than not you won't notice any of them. I'm glad with my OLED and the absolutely jawdropping IQ it provides.

Perhaps if I start displaying some plain, single color image on it I will see some burn-ins or other issues but doing so would not reflect my real life usage out of it.

In the end, I'm glad I went with an OLED and will most likely never go back with an LCD ever again for my living room display.

Exactly the same for me.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm seeing OLED, as nice as the it looks, just seems like a pain to worry about especially if you're going to keep the TV for years and I'm trying to think about burn in

I'll wait for micoled at this point

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I've learned one thing about burn-in - it's definitely more of a problem for non-owners than it is for people who actually own one.

Nov 1, 2017
Can concur with OP's assessment. Had access to an LG B6 for about a year, the burn-in was awful. It mostly looked fine, but anytime a uniform screen would show (e.g. all grey)... yikes.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
my quest for a new TV has been a headache. this OLED stuff has gotten as dumb and fanboyist as pc gaming console phone nonsense

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
If I've learned one thing about burn-in - it's definitely more of a problem for non-owners than it is for people who actually own one.
Yep. It can certainly be an issue for some people, but it seems burn in threads usually turn into a bunch of people spouting uninformed hyperbole while patting themselves on the back for buying LCDs.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Holy crap, all the burn-in angst in this thread. Like playing without HUD etc just to make sure the TV lives.
I couldn't cope without being able to use the tv as I wished.

I was not far from pulling the trigger on a sony oled but I think I'll wait now.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I posted this before... I don't notice it when watching regular TV stuff or Playing games. Like if you look for it, you won't see it.

BUT if you do those screen check things on Youtube, where the whole screen is one color... Yellow, red, maybe blue.... you can notice it if you focus.

But again when watching/playing regular content... you don't see it, even if you try.

Edit- I have a C6... put Contrast on MAX..TV on Custom based on Vivid...and played games like Madden and Street Fighter, whose hud's don't change much year to year. Infact with Madden, it has stayed at the EXACT same spot for a while now. Which is why I have small little timeout dots from Madden .and alittle part of life bar from street fighter.

So I'm probably the extreme example... since I can play Madden for like 7hrs like it's nothing at times.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I kinda want to keep my 1080p Panasonic plasma forever but know 4K gaming is looming and it's supposed to start dimming any time now anyway.
I still get image retention but it always disappears after a little bit of time watching normal tv.I didn't know this was such an issue with Oled,hopefully things are improved with the tech soon or I'm really not sure what my next tv for 4K gaming will be.

I still have my plasma, but for 4K gaming the Samsung QLEDs are pretty solid.

OLED looks good but burn in is a thing and always has been with that tech. Just look at any 2 year old Galaxy S phone screen.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
B6 owner, I was once think i have some kind of burn in, it was just image retention and went away with a compensation cycle, I use it as a PC with zero problems.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I went with a 82 q8fn over a 77c8 primarily because burn in was too big a concern. I love the tv and feel I made the right choice. MicroLED can't get here soon enough.

Oct 27, 2017

LOL. Yeah, ok. You said the same thing about me until I posted my TV (C7) a few months ago. Give it a rest.

Yep. It can certainly be an issue for some people, but it seems burn in threads usually turn into a bunch of people spouting uninformed hyperbole while patting themselves on the back for buying LCDs.

I often come in and say otherwise about OLED burn in the TV thread. But normal the paid OLED sponsors there (or you would think) get upset. holygeesus ripped one guy just a couple days ago because they were worried about burn in with gaming. Yet people do not mind him going off on people that are concerned with it there. No one freaks the fuck out when people say LCDs have blooming etc, the super pro-OLED crowd on this site need to chill the fuck out.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't know... You guys make it appear much worse than it actually is. I have an LG B6 for nearly 3 years. I didn't baby it whatsoever. I leave static images frequently on it, sometimes for hours. I use it every day. I've had some image retention here and there sure, and perhaps there is some form of burn-in on it, but if that is the case, I can assure you I've never noticed any of it, whatever the scenario. The static UI from all the games I play on it do not appear as something visible and bothersome when I'm done with them. I think that if you don't look for problems, more often than not you won't notice any of them. I'm glad with my OLED and the absolutely jawdropping IQ it provides.

Perhaps if I start displaying some plain, single color image on it I will see some burn-ins or other issues but doing so would not reflect my real life usage out of it.

In the end, I'm glad I went with an OLED and will most likely never go back with an LCD ever again for my living room display.
Same here. I have done a ton of gaming on my C6 since I got it April 2016, plenty of news channels and kids TV with the static corner logos, and even running my test slides pack there is zero burn in after nearly 3 years. I don't do much multiplayer though to be fair and would never spend 100 hours on a single game.

So maybe the 2017 models are worse? Or maybe others have their OLED light and contrast needlessly cranked to the max all the time? Or maybe some panels perform significantly worse than others. I'm completely baffled by the YouTube UI burn in. No idea. I never had issues with plasma either though. I suppose it depends on your viewing/gaming habits. If you're the type to spend 100s of hours playing a single game like Destiny then obviously OLED isn't for you.

I suppose people who have no problems are less likely to post than those who do. Personally I couldn't be more satisfied with my C6 and can't wait to upgrade to the C9 this year for HDMI 2.1. Couldn't go back to LCD with the clouding, blooming, dirty screen effect, banding and narrow viewing angles for the best picture.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, people go to the greatest of lengths to shit on OLED here. The "it seems to be much more of a problem for non-owners" comment hits the nail on the head. I've owned the 3 latest OLEDs from LG and have never had a single issue, but then again I don't want a lot of CNN or do a shitton of gaming without taking a pause. Overall, it's by far the best PQ and people with burn-in issues are definitely an edge case.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, people go to the greatest of lengths to shit on OLED here. The "it seems to be much more of a problem for non-owners" comment hits the nail on the head. I've owned the 3 latest OLEDs from LG and have never had a single issue, but then again I don't want a lot of CNN or do a shitton of gaming without taking a pause. Overall, it's by far the best PQ and people with burn-in issues are definitely an edge case.

You are on a gaming website where there is more often going to be static content. It is going to be brought up more often. I have no issues using my OLED for Netflix/movies. But for playing games, I will not use much.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's why I bought the 5 year Best Buy warranty on mine. They say they cover burn in specifically. Chances are in 4-5 years whatever TV i get will be better than this C7.
Same here, I was surprised they covered burn in. Of course my tv is perfect and will never get burn in, but it makes me feel comfortable.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are on a gaming website where there is more often going to be static content. It is going to be brought up more often. I have no issues using my OLED for Netflix/movies. But for playing games, I will not use much.
I think it's more the tone of the conversation whenever this comes up and how people come out of the woodwork who have maybe never even set eyes on an OLED to shit on it. It comes across as salty and sour-grapes-y.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more the tone of the conversation whenever this comes out and how people come out of the woodwork who have maybe never even set eyes on an OLED to shit on it. It comes across as salty and sour-grapes-y.

I get that too. I mean my next TV will most likely be another larger oled and the one I have will move to another room for viewing. I am fine for normal usage. But I dont trust it with my gaming habits. I play alot of the same games, so I have a larger concern of burn in. I feel alot of people here are in the same boat and voice their concern.

Seiru

Oct 25, 2017

Burn in is cumulative, so "taking a pause" doesn't matter.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
OLED is an overrated technology. Burn in and quality degradation over time are a serious issue (but there are also others like peak brightness and color accuracy). Marketing has been able to pass the message that all that matters is a perfect black level but it's not like that.
Even the screen of my Samsung S9+ bought last March is already having zones with different brightness and the keyboard outline and the notifications on top are already burned in on a white background...in less than a year of usage.
The future will be about quantum dot LCDs with per pixel backlighting so basically microled, not oled.

I have the same issue on my S9+. Anything with a white background looks like garbage now.

Mahnmut

Oct 27, 2017
Brussels
I think it's a great tech and all but I don't want to pamper it and have my TV dictate what I should watch and how. I'm seeing more and more topics on different forums about this issue. This is a huge dealbreaker for me.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I would take those 2 small burn in areas over any LCD backlight bleed, clouding and poor black any day of the week.oled is not perfect, but it is the best image quality out there, hands down. Nothing comes close .

This. B6 here for over 2 years and outside of some light ghosting when coming off static screens for a few minutes I have no burn in.

I have the tv on about 65 brightness at all times outside of HDR content. Use for gaming and Netflix / tv for a good 3-4 hours a day.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how many years did you have each TV?
Roughly 1-1.5 years each. That's my usual TV upgrade cycle. As I understand it, burn-in is becoming less and less of an issue on modern sets, too. I can see it being a bigger concern for people who keep their TVs longer.

With that said, my issue isn't whether burn-in exists at all or not. It's the tone these types of "expos" on the technology attracts. I'd hope if you're going to drop $2-4k on a TV, you do some research on whether it'll be adequate for your uses.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

I don't baby my OLED whatsoever.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The burn in is not a widespread issue like people think. More common in older models.

Having said that ,it might happen.

I have mine for over year, 65 B7, zero issues, put over 93 hours on red dead redemption 2, no issues.

Led does not even come close. You need to make a choice : choose one technology with no burn in, but other issues like backlight bleed, clouding, crushed blacks, or oled, with its own issues such as potential burn in and verticals banding.

Once a TV does what my OLED does , call me again ( see picture below) . Until then, I will stick with my OLED.

Took this picture from my phone, directly from tv, zero filters. Deep black, absolute black, no backlight issues.
Dolby vision and oled is out of this world.

tv2.jpg

What's this video from? I'm curious as to how bad this will look on my Sammy.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
At the end of the day every TV has its issues, burn in just happens to be one that gets the most attention. Clouding is just as bad in my opinion.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
OP you need to call LG and they will replace the panel. Also make sure to not have OLED light at 100.

Secondly, all the Micro Led stans are annoying and completely clueless. Micro led won't be at AFFORDABLE prices or close to OLED prices for at least 5 years and that's being generous.

And ALL the posters in here high fiving one another about buying LCD - you guys have no idea how much better OLED looks. It's a generational leap in picture quality.

So you have two choices. Buy OLED and be aware of the minimal effort required for its long term health. Enjoy the best pq

Or be paranoid and buy LCD bc you have an irrational fear that your TV won't last

Dec 12, 2017
At the end of the day every TV has its issues, burn in just happens to be one that gets the most attention. Clouding is just as bad in my opinion.
True, but you can detect clouding as soon as you turn on the TV. And can return accordingly. OLED looks great but as another poster said, I won't accept a TV that dictates my viewing habits, especially at those prices. I'm ok with the tradeoffs in PQ. Again, I know OLEDS are pretty amazing in terms of PQ.

I don't know why OLED proponents freak out about this POV.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Only a 6 month owner of the B8, so it's still too early to say if I'll get burn-in. I try and be careful - I have OLED light at 100 and play a lot of Rocket League. So far so good though, but again, it's early. I suppose I'll really know in another year or two.

But once you see those blacks.....