• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The English-translated soundtrack sucks. With the subbed version, the songs are in Japanese and much less distracting.

Yeah I remember another user mentioning that when I complained in the old thread. I do want to give it another shot. It just completely drained any emotion from those moments for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.

-Parasite
-Mad Max 4
-Once upon a time in Holywood
-A Silent Voice
-Get Out
-The Hateful Eight
-The Handmaiden
-The VVitch

Of the top of my head are movies I found much more impactful.

That said, Your Name is good for what it is.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I dunno. The animation was great, but i was kinda bored in the theater and rolled my eyes super fucking hard at the last 10 minutes of the movie. Too on the nose.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a weeaboo and I hard disagree with you.

Story is ok, execution of the theme is strong, animation/art is amazing.

I think it's great overall, but there's some massive cringe-moments throughout the movie.

Like, does the movie really need show the guy feeling himself up multiple times, when he wakes up as the girl?

5 Centimeters per Second is the only Shinkai I've seen, and I barely remember anything about it.
That's because 5 Centimeters per Second is a melodramatic story about middle schoolers that I will never be able to take seriously.

It's pretty tho, I guess.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's gonna be a hard no from me, dawg...

Not when Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max exists, plus whatever other art house films were released this decade that I didn't watch (e.g. Parasite).

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, will throw in another vote that A Silent Voice is better (to me).

It has some weird pacing, where it kinda meanders in the later half, but damn does it hit some emotional highs.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mad Max, Blade Runner, Sicario, Lady Bird, La La Land, Moonlight, The Revenant, Inception, Interstellar, Django Unchained, Boyhood, The Peanut Butter Falcon, BlackKkKlanssman, Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Get Out, Wonder Woman, Thor: Ragnarok, Logan, and Gravity are all WAY better movies than this one.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it *A LOT* but there's no way it's best of the decade material. Maybe the one best anime films of the last decade though, I can say that. I gotta hand it to Masaaki Yuassa with his output. Between Walk on Girl, Lu over the Wall, and Ride Your Wave, dude has been killing it with his films.
An anime? I'd sooner eat babies.
Anime? Going to be a hard pass from me dawg
Ya'll haven't seen a Miyazaki film? Or Akira??

There's no way.

Last edited:

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Mad Max Fury Road exists, so no it isn't. A Silent Voice is better in the anime sphere as well.

Still a decent movie. Saw the premiere at AX2016, lots of praise.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
It's quite alright. Paradoxically, it's a poor love story.

And 5cm was better.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it, OP - I thought it had its strengths, mainly technical, but that it was ultimately pretty ham fisted, particularly the ending. I can't imagine someone even calling it best of the year, let alone best of the decade but opinions and that.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Ah the ole "my taste is better than yours" and intelligence posturing. The smell of an anime thread.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it is a good movie overall but it's not even close to Shinkai's best (5cm) let alone movie of the year. It fumbled so many plot points and ended up focusing more on spectacle than substance. I was seriously rolling my eyes at the last couple of mins as the trademark Shinkai ending seemed to be unfolding again (before the last second asspull).

A Silent Voice was significantly better, it really didn't deserve to be buried under the Your Name hype tidal wave at the time.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I just cannot accept that, OP. In a decade when all these all came out:
2010: Black Swan
2011: Sunny
2012: Frances Ha
2013: Inside Llewyn Davis
2014: When Marnie Was There
2015: Carol
2016: The Handmaiden
2017: Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda
2018: Burning
2019: Parasite

And there are hundreds of other amazing movies that released. These were just what I had typed out for my favorites of each year. Your Name is an okay movie. Here are better anime films from this decade:
Night Is Short, Walk on Girl; When Marnie Was There; The Tale of the Princess Kaguya; Liz and the Blue Bird; Mirai; A Silent Voice; The Red Turtle; A Letter to Momo; and Wolf Children.

And I haven't even seen Ride Your Wave, Children of the Sea, Promare, In this Corner of the World, Giovanni's Island, Penguin Highway, Lu Over the Wall, Tibetan Dog, Miss Hokusai, or The Case of Hana & Alice. Got some tough competition, and Your Name isn't even Shinkai's best movie! Voices of a Distant Star is better. I'm not really a big fan of Shinkai, though I've seen almost all his films. They're gorgeous. They're also shallow.
But yes, this is my recommendation: this is the single best movie of this decade, and one of the best movies ever.
See more movies, OP.

Last edited:

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen is a better Chinese cartoon than Kimi no Na wa.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It was a great movie but it's not the best of the decade

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I could literally name over one hundred films from this decade that I think are better films. I'm all for everyone having their own opinion, but I think there's a difference between a statement like "best film of the decade" and "my favorite film of the decade." OP's statement has a lot of hyperbole.
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen is a better Chinese cartoon than Kimi no Na wa.
What, the commercial? The movie isn't out anywhere. Does it even have a date yet?

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I think it's one of my favorites of the decade, though I dunno about the best.
14174.jpg

You should feel very sure about your best.