• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
ABZU !
Was really curious about it, thought it could be like Journey undersea...was bored from the start to the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario_paint_box.jpg

No story, shit gameplay, sub-HD graphics. 0/10. Fucking dogshit.

Seriously though, I don't hate them, but I'd say Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey because it's pretty to look at, but oh so boring to play. SotC, the PS2 and PS3 versions, for being empty, barren and boring to play. The climbing controls in the PS3 HD version were busted to boot.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Fundamentally all games are art really.

If we're talking about games trying to be artsy or high art or whatever.
Metroid Other M.

It tries so very hard to be a film and basically fails on nearly all levels except maybe on the basic movement of the character.
It's also insultingly boring, sexist, constraining, linear in the worst way, with shit music, stupid bosses and I could continue for years really.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I find it quite funny that disliking BOTW is the only hot take people managed to spot in this thread lol
That's because it's the first post, and also you clearly knew what the OP was asking and ignored it to bash BotW, thus it's being called a hot take.

Anyway I don't play many of these games because they don't look fun. I guess Inside on Xbox wins almost by default. I'm sure it's a good game, just not my style. I also don't really hate it, feelings aren't that strong about it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's a quite good game and definitely has better exploration and world interaction than most games... but it is MY most hated game due to what it did to a formula I loved so much.
Honestly, I was snippy and sarcastic but that's a fair enough reason. I kinda feel that way about Skyrim and Fallout 4 as a huge Morrowind and New Vegas fan even though there's certainly fun to be had in both titles.

So criticism rescinded lol

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I also believe all games are art. I'll go with Undertale. What a pretentious pile of crap. Like the show Portlandia made a game.

I agree with BOTW but I don't feel like I played it long enough to be my choice.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dear Esther, by far. I like walking Sims too, I liked Gone Home especially. But Dear Esther is just empty, there's nothing there.

Apr 25, 2020
Mario_paint_box.jpg

No story, shit gameplay, sub-HD graphics. 0/10. Fucking dogshit.

Seriously though, I don't hate them, but I'd say Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey because it's pretty to look at, but oh so boring to play. SotC, the PS2 and PS3 versions, for being empty, barren and boring to play. The climbing controls in the PS3 HD version were busted to boot.

Oh god I remember this thing with the SNES Mouse + Pad

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
all games are art, is there a certain type of game you want us to talk about here

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I also believe all games are art. I'll go with Undertale. What a pretentious pile of crap. Like the show Portlandia made a game.

I agree with BOTW but I don't feel like I played it long enough to be my choice.
I'm not sure I see how either Portlandia or Undertale are "pretentious"

Neither really take themselves that seriously at all, which I feel is a requirement for being pretentious

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Played Gone Home for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it didn't live up the my expectations. Hate is a strong word, but I was really bored.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
The Last of Us series.
I fully agree the gameplay is really good and the graphics are amazing but the plot and characters are just ok and not original or masterpieces of writing.

Oct 28, 2017
Hey we had a "are games art" thread not that long ago! Always fun.

But I still haven't played a commercial video game I would consider art.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Of the games in this "genre" that I've played, definitely Journey. I was so thoroughly bored with that game from start to finish, did not connect with me at all

Nov 2, 2017
37 post for someone to name Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Era is getting slower. If everything is art, then how can any game in the last 40 years of gaming, with a decent size budged, beat the horrible, bad taste, oversexualized, and just bad art in XC2 ? (Character design in specific)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Gone Home and Amnesia bored me to tears and I was done after 0.5 hours or so.

In contrast I think Edith Finch is a brilliant game

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
"What Remains of Edith Finch" wasn't nearly as clever or heart wrenching as I was lead to believe. I was pretty bored through it.

I don't even necessarily think it was bad, I just don't know if that sort of story and the weird quirky way it's told is something that I like. Maybe I was just in a bad mood that day.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I was gonna chew out the OP just a little for spending more time giving a thoughtful breakdown on criticism than actually expanding on his actual point, but man, really? Like we go from the first post dropping their one sentence hottest of takes to title drops? This is the best we can muster? List threads are against policy, right? So dang, why can't we enforce even the slightest bit of quality from our discussions. Era is brutal for me lately and this is just it entirely epitomized.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
I played Gris at a friends house not too long ago. Hold right, get blown by wind, hold right, but now slowly go through the wind as a heavy object.

Unbelievably boring.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata isn't nearly as deep as people like to think it is, and it's pretty basic from a gameplay standpoint too
It's also about 40-50% a re-tread of themes and ideas already expressed in Nier Replicant/Gestalt.

As for the topic at hand: Uh...yeah probably Dear Esther? I tend to avoid these type of games for the exact kinds of reasons listed in this thread.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

In the beginning there's this post office or some shit with this radio that's playing random numbers, so I jotted all the numbers down thinking they'll be important later. As I played I kept finding more radios and shit playing numbers so I jotted those down as well. Then as the game progressed I eventually realized you don't do fuck all throughout the entire game so my early efforts were completely useless.

I just looked up what the code was and it's just a random quote lol.