• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cars can't actually make jumps over hilly streets like in the movies. You will destroy your car if you try. I mention this because it's tempting, and looks super fun, but my friend Dave tried it in his 4-door Ford Taurus when we were kids and some of his wheels literally flew off when he landed. It wasn't even that tall of a hill in the road.

Mar 29, 2018
There's a neurobiologist specializing in sleep that recommends this. Says a lot of the research is beginning to shift to lack of restorative, deep sleep causing cellular waste heavily also with alzheimers to not be cleaned up. It's not just screens, any of the blue light kills melatonin production and if you knock yourself out after exposure to blue light it takes 3 hours to build up the natural levels of melatonin.

Maybe I got the immediately before bed part wrong, but the neurologist's name is Matthew Walker - you can google talks he's given about it.
I don't doubt that's the case or that his research has found some legitimate results - sleep hygiene is absolutely important - but that is one scientist out of thousands. Others have found that melatonin in pill form causes issues in blood chemistry the following day, and we know that genetics (and people growing more old than ever before) is the main risk indicator for dementia.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get heartbroken again if you never put yourself out there. Think about it.

Mar 29, 2018
Exercise in the mornings. Bare minimum should be a morning jog.

Sets you up for a productive day 😃
Also 45 minutes a day (330 a week) exercise is the perfect amount to maintain health.

Over 45 mins a day gives diminishing returns.

Under 45 a day, and the more you sit per day, will cause long term health issues.

Doing 45 mins a day offsets countless health issues, from eliminating cholesterol to improving sleep to ensuring heart, brain, digestion and muscle health.

It was some massive landmark study recently which found 45 mins a day was the sweet spot. Huge sample size in the 10s of thousands or sth.

Can't get heartbroken again if you never put yourself out there. Think about it.
Love is a pact. Peak joy and love only comes with the stipulation it might come with heartbreak. It's worth it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For people who do a lot of craft and cosplay:

When hot gluing large sections together, use binder clips to keep glued sections in place as you move on to other tasks. Because sitting there waiting for glue to dry is boring af.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Also 45 minutes a day (330 a week) exercise is the perfect amount to maintain health.

Over 45 mins a day gives diminishing returns.

Under 45 a day, and the more you sit per day, will cause long term health issues.

Doing 45 mins a day offsets countless health issues, from eliminating cholesterol to improving sleep to ensuring heart, brain, digestion and muscle health.

It was some massive landmark study recently which found 45 mins a day was the sweet spot. Huge sample size in the 10s of thousands or sth.

Love is a pact. Peak joy and love only comes with the stipulation it might come with heartbreak. It's worth it.

That's depressing. 45 min in the morning is tough and doing it every day is even tougher. I can do 20-25min hard on the elliptical where I am sweating and totally out of breath. I've been shooting for 4-5 days/week. I sit the entire day (about 8 hours sitting) so that's really not good either.

Mar 29, 2018
That's depressing. 45 min in the morning is tough and doing it every day is even tougher. I can do 20-25min hard on the elliptical where I am sweating and totally out of breath. I've been shooting for 4-5 days/week. I sit the entire day (about 8 hours sitting) so that's really not good either.
Progress, not perfection, mate. You're already well ahead of millions of people.

I don't manage to do this every week either. It's a best-case. Doing 20 mins a day is still 1000% better than doing 0.

I found that looking for a 45-minute running route from your house and doing that each morning is the best way to get a routine. The door-to-doorness of running is awesome. It's important to do strength (weights), flexibility (yoga) and stamina (HIIT) too.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If you ever want a "nice" guy to stop talking to you without telling him off, ask him if he knows anyone that sells coke and then get frustrated when he says no. If he talks or texts you back later, ask him if any of his friends have good fighting dogs. Make your life look like a train wreck and his idea of you will shatter and he'll move on.
I love this post so damn much.
GameStop might not be the most financially secure place to keep your cash.
It's based off an old thread on the other place.
Save money by not watching Terminator or Star Wars sequels.
Or rent them from the library for free. That's what I do with the new Star Wars movies. Disney gets exactly zero of your dollars for that shit other than what the library paid for the copy, which is a sunk cost you have no control over.

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever you go to do a food shop, go straight to the bakery section (normally at the back) and get a big loaf of freshly baked bread. Then put the loaf in the child seat of the trolley and rip off chunks to eat as you go around.

Makes you less likely to impulse buy because you aren't as hungry, and you're eating one of the tastiest/best smelling things in the store

I have also sometimes doubled it up with a jar of jam/nutella. Make sure it's well secured in the child seat.

People look on with envy every time that I have hacked the shopping experience.
Yes, envy. That must be it.

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have another one that seems pretty obvious, but works well for me.

Whenever I need to remember bringing something with me, I will put it on top of something I will never forget. For example, I'm going to a concert tonight and need to bring my earplugs. I don't want to forget them, so I put the box with them on top of my wallet in my hallway.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
The blades on a razor don't really dull, as much as they bend when you shave. You can straighten them back out by making the shaving motion, but moving the blade in the opposite direction, on a hairless surface. I just use my forearm. So in stead of pushing the blade down and pulling it, as you would when shaving, you press the blade down and push it, in the direction away from the edges on the blades. It really makes razorblades last a lot longer.

Oct 27, 2017
DhPEDnVXkAAAfhO.jpg
Best lifehack of all time.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

Whenever I need to remember bringing something with me, I will put it on top of something I will never forget. For example, I'm going to a concert tonight and need to bring my earplugs. I don't want to forget them, so I put the box with them on top of my wallet in my hallway.
If I make lunch to take to work, I tend to put my car keys on top of that container in the fridge. I've forgotten that stuff at home too many times and this is an ironclad way to prevent leaving without the lunch.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Go to self checkout and scan everything as bananas

(I'm kidding ya dinguses)

I do something similar; I chuck it right in front of my door!

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I'll put it in a tote bag and then hang that on the door.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
You can empty your plate into the toilet instead of garbage or sink if dealing with something that can clog your sink or smell up/leak from the garbage bag.

It's great to do with chunky sauces.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you go to do a food shop, go straight to the bakery section (normally at the back) and get a big loaf of freshly baked bread. Then put the loaf in the child seat of the trolley and rip off chunks to eat as you go around.

Makes you less likely to impulse buy because you aren't as hungry, and you're eating one of the tastiest/best smelling things in the store

I have also sometimes doubled it up with a jar of jam/nutella. Make sure it's well secured in the child seat.

People look on with envy every time that I have hacked the shopping experience.
I'm assuming this is the face they're making.

nodes_NrdB5OUas6.jpg

Which, btw, is not envy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
carry two wallets

if you get mugged, throw the wallets in two different directions, and while the mugger is confused, furiously make out with them

get your tongue down their throat
As good as this is - you could actually carry two, and keep old/expired cards and $20 in the sacrificial wallet

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, last week I put a usb stick on top of my watch on the night stand. Only after I got out of the door I discovered that I did't have the usb stick on me. It was sitting on the night stand. And I was wearing the watch... It's a good idea but I wouldn't recommend putting the item on something that will be grabbed a few minutes after waking up. :P

Oct 26, 2017
To avoid tears when chopping onions, get a teaspoon or wooden spoon and put it sideways in your mouth.

This forces you to breathe through your mouth meaning the fumes mostly avoid your nasal cavity

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If you ever want a "nice" guy to stop talking to you without telling him off, ask him if he knows anyone that sells coke and then get frustrated when he says no. If he talks or texts you back later, ask him if any of his friends have good fighting dogs. Make your life look like a train wreck and his idea of you will shatter and he'll move on.
All of this is my fetish - thank you very much.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Don't side pour your beer at home.

Dump that shit in there with reckless abandon and wait for foam to transform. If you're drinking a bunch of beers - especially heavier beers - you'll be less bloated, won't get tired if you're drinking over a longer period of time and feel better in the morning. I thought this was known but talking to coworkers and some buddies recently apparently not.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Bake bread. Super cheap, tastes better, doesnt take much time.
Store in freezer, heat like this: low power microwave until half soft, oven until lovely. Enjoy almost-newly-baked bread every day.

Mar 30, 2019
A simple and weird one I'm trying lately is getting a task done by pretending to do it. It's from my effort to combat procrastination of certain tasks recently.

If I have a paper to write for instance, my procrastination will kick in and think there is plenty of time before the deadline. Then I counter with, "Well, if i was to start writing now, how would I start?" My mind answers with, "By writing an outline like this." *starts writing an outline*

If there is resistance with an "I don't know", then I just keep asking questions to find out how to know. So on and so forth. My questioner side keeps persisting as my demonstrator side...well...demonstrates.

It might be a quirk that works for me since I frequently tutor. I just treat myself as the tutored subject this time.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
A simple and weird one I'm trying lately is getting a task done by pretending to do it. It's from my effort to combat procrastination of certain tasks recently.

If I have a paper to write for instance, my procrastination will kick in and think there is plenty of time before the deadline. Then I counter with, "Well, if i was to start writing now, how would I start?" My mind answers with, "By writing an outline like this." *starts writing an outline*

If there is resistance with an "I don't know", then I just keep asking questions to find out how to know. So on and so forth. My questioner side keeps persisting as my demonstrator side...well...demonstrates.

It might be a quirk that works for me since I frequently tutor. I just treat myself as the tutored subject this time.
I'm going to try to steal this.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Progress, not perfection, mate. You're already well ahead of millions of people.

I don't manage to do this every week either. It's a best-case. Doing 20 mins a day is still 1000% better than doing 0.

I found that looking for a 45-minute running route from your house and doing that each morning is the best way to get a routine. The door-to-doorness of running is awesome. It's important to do strength (weights), flexibility (yoga) and stamina (HIIT) too.
Crazy you say that as since 2019 November I've been doing weights/calisthenics 3 x a week, yoga 7 x week and HITT 3 x a week. My health has definitely improved and can't see myself going back at all.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
Finding the midpoint of something odd sized like 15 9/16th". Instead of doing the annoying math, angle the tape measure to increase the length to an easy dividable number like 16 and mark the exact middle at the 8" mark.

Nasym

Banned
Jan 13, 2021
Sweden
Finding the midpoint of something odd sized like 15 9/16th". Instead of doing the annoying math, angle the tape measure to increase the length to an easy dividable number like 16 and mark the exact middle at the 8" mark.
Thats Clever! Will use that! Also trying my best not to mention the life hack use meter

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I crack the seal of a popcorn bag just big enough for the kernels to fall out. I hold it upside down by the end that doesn't open and shake it over the garbage so the un-popped kernels go into the trash.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
This one is obvious but I see many people using a bowl to scramble eggs. Just scramble them inside the pan, they taste ths same and you have fewer dishes to wash.

Scrambled eggs need to be beaten properly and put in a HOT pan with slightly browned butter. You are wrong and it definitely does not taste the same to have half mixed egg slur without any frying.