• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Acqueous cream is by far and away the best and cheapest product to use as a shaving gel / foam / oil. A few dabs cover your face, keeps your skin happy and slippery, and doesn't stick to the razor blades beyond a quick rinse with water. A large tub costs a fiver, and lasts a year.

Why not just use shaving soap? A bowl will last forever and refills cost a couple of bucks.

In general though, I highly recommend moving to single-blade safety razors if you haven't already. You just buy them in packs of 100 so you aren't stuck with Gillette etc's bullshit business model. It saves you ludicrous amounts of money in the long term. Plus, if you happen to have an issue with razor burn or bumps, switching to a single-blade is by far the best way to deal with them.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Short bursts of work are more sustainable and productive than long stretches.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you have bad vision and lose your glasses/contacts turn on the camera on your phone and hold the screen close if you need to look around clearly.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Or just buy single color socks? I have a variety of white socks and I just grab any two.

Im lifehacking my crazy sock collection.

Seconding safety razor and box o blades, best shave ever.

When my peanut canister is half empty, I throw cheesits and goldfish crackers in there. Instant mix.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Put soap and water in a blender and blend to clean.
The garlic cutting hack to not waste time peeling the skin off.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Most grocery stores have a rack that has almost expired fruits and veggies. Almost always, those racks have bananas.

Buy the bananas, peel them, cut them in half and freeze them. Makes the best addition to any shake and eliminates the need for ice which will water down your shake.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
a dumb think i didn't realize till way too late is that at the grocery store you can take just 1 or 2 bananas if you dont need more than that. like you dont have to take the whole bunch. just break one off if you need it for lunch.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Not exactly a "hack", but just a little known fact because I see literally nobody at gas stations utilizing it and let their caps dangle.

tbTh7Uj.jpg

Not every car has this.

Source: my mums car does, my brothers and sisters does not.

Mar 29, 2018
Whenever you drop something - anything that's not too heavy (edit: yes, or sharp) - immediately move your foot under roughly where it will land.

Takes some reflexes, but I can't tell you how many mugs, phones, plates, glasses, etc, I've saved just by quickly cushioning or deflecting their fall with my foot.

It sounds like nothing but it just slows the fall enough to stave off like any damage.

Stop matching socks. Throw them all in your drawer and just pull two. When people say your socks dont match, tell them thats how you roll.
I'm pretty naturally reaching this point atm

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
not really a hack per se but the first time I made my own Sprite float my mind was blown.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use the hangers provided in hotel room closets to help keep the window blinds clipped together for total darkness.

That reminds me... I have my bedroom curtains pinned to the wall on the far left and far right with pushpins that are the color of the curtains. The color really doesn't matter much at all because I have the edges folded over a little so there's still some puffiness.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Milk of magnesia is by far the best deodorant I've ever used. Everything else only lasts about 4 hours tops.

Mar 29, 2018

grang

Nov 13, 2017
shaking cans of pop and beer vigorously. what could possibly go wrong?

breh...
Well here's one for this situation

If you have a can that has been shaken, literally you can test this and just go crazy shaking it as long and hard as you want, start at the bottom of the can and repeatedly drum your fingers along the side rotating around the can, slowly moving up until you reach the top. Do it once, maybe a second time, should only take you 30 seconds. Crack the can and it will open without any mess.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
Put a spoonful of sugar into a squeeze of soft soap. It works as makeshift exfoliating scrub that isn't terrible for the environment.

If you wanna get fancy use a friend of mine swears by brown sugar, olive oil and cinnamon. They exfoliate all over with it then shave to remove the oil. They insist it's the closest shave you can get.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If global warming causes your house to flood, just sell it and move

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
If you have bad vision and lose your glasses/contacts turn on the camera on your phone and hold the screen close if you need to look around clearly.
This completely blew my mind because it actually worked. Obviously, it's not nearly as effective and it gives me a headache, but I was able to see things with decent clarity despite having horrible vision.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
When shopping at a store and you don't feel like signing up for a discount card, just use the area code and 867-5309 and there usually is an account already.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Reheating cold pizza - 45 seconds in microwave, 45 seconds on hot pan.

Use hair ties for half eaten bags of chips, rice or any packaged food that is going back in the cupboard.

Waking up with a sore throat - drink a squirt of lemon juice in a cup of water.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you drop something - anything that's not too heavy - immediately move your foot under roughly where it will land.

Takes some reflexes, but I can't tell you how many mugs, phones, plates, glasses, etc, I've saved just by quickly cushioning or deflecting their fall with my foot.

It sounds like nothing but it just slows the fall enough to stave off like any damage.
Unless you drop something pointy

Hawk Fan

Dec 10, 2017
If you have a large SUV with a 3rd row you don't use all the time, you can stop your small amount of groceries from rolling all around the back by putting up the 3rd row seats.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
If you get a job with better pay and lower premiums and healthcare deductibles, you'll have more money

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Reheating cold pizza - 45 seconds in microwave, 45 seconds on hot pan.

Use hair ties for half eaten bags of chips, rice or any packaged food that is going back in the cupboard.

Waking up with a sore throat - drink a squirt of lemon juice in a cup of water.
Put a glass of water in the microwave with pizza if you dont want to use a pan.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Invest in an ip camera like a ring door bell or a $30 wyzecam on amazon. Stick it behind a window where you can see your front porch.
You'll never have to open the door for mormons again.

You can also just get a peephole or look out the window. Generally, I just don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone, saves the frustration of dealing with jehovas witness and energy fraud schemes