• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galdius

Oct 25, 2017
Not a game but easily my most prized gaming possession, I really wish someone would make a setups thread. I have a great game room I want to share but haven no thread privileges.

20180119_221528_HDR.jpg

There is a game room thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/post-your-gaming-setup-2018-edition.13723/
A lot of great game rooms there.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
What controversy?

I bought this for 7€ back in 2009 I think. Some stores were getting rid of their stock.
Probably rotting away in my parents garage now, never even bothered to play it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Rose
Controversy

At E3 2006 Atlus announced that it would be releasing Rule of Rose in the United States, following Sony's decision to pass on an American release. This was on the grounds of the game's erotic undertones involving a cast of female minors. The developers disagreed with this, saying that the sexual themes are only a small part of the game. In November 2006, three French deputies introduced a bill asking for the game to be banned for sale, arguing that the goal of the game was to "rape, beat up and kill a little girl", and that if nothing was done, video games could become an "uncontrollable factor of decadent violence in our society." That same month, 505 Games' Australian distributor, Red-Ant advised that the game's Australian and New Zealand release would be canceled. The game had yet to be rated by the Classification Board. During the same time frame, Poland's Ministry of Education raised questions concerning its appropriateness for minors (the game was rated 16+) because of the themes of child violence and sexuality. The ministry informed the prosecutor's office of possible crime.

European Union justice minister Franco Frattini attacked the game as containing "obscene cruelty and brutality." He also called for changes to the PEGI rating system in place across Europe and for government officials to engage in discussions with industry representatives. Frattini received a letter from Viviane Reding, commissioner for the information society and media, who criticized Frattini's actions: "It is...very unfortunate that my services were not pre-consulted before your letter to the Ministers of Interior was sent out," reminding him of the commission-backed self-regulating ratings system called PEGI that has operated across the European Union since 2003. The PEGI system of classification, according to Reding's letter, offers "informed adult choice" without censoring content: "This is in line with the Commission's view that measures taken to protect minors and human dignity must be carefully balanced with the fundamental right to freedom of expression as laid down in the Charter on Fundamental Rights of the European Union." On March 7, 2007, a group of Member of the European Parliaments presented a Motion for a European Parliament resolution on a ban on the sale and distribution in Europe of the game and the creation of a 'European Observatory on childhood and minors'.

505 Games chose to cancel the release of the game in the United Kingdom following complaints by Frattini and other EU officials, and "largely misleading" commentary from the British press. It was released in the rest of Europe. Review copies of the title had already shipped to British journalists when this was announced. The British body which had granted the title its 16+ PEGI rating (the Video Standards Council) responded to the press and Frattini's comments: "I have no idea where the suggestion of in-game sadomasochism has come from, nor children being buried underground. These are things that have been completely made up. [...] We're not worried about our integrity being called into question, because Mr Frattini's quotes are nonsense."

That's why we can't have good things. SMH

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I've got a boxed Victor Wondermega in good condition.
Got also a Nintendo 64DD boxed in very good condition.
Both bought pretty cheap at the beginning of the 2000's.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I already own quite a few to be honest (like my recently acquired Hyper Duel), but the ones that I don't think will ever grace my collection would be:

Snatcher on Sega CD
Magical Chase on Turbografx/PC Engine
Little Samson on the NTSC NES
Coryoon on PC Engine
Sapphire on PC Engine
Rendering Ranger on Super Famicom

and many more, but these are from the top of my head.

Rendering Rangers is like crazy expensive nowadays, good stuff.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have a collection of 1st Edition Pokémon cards that span the first complete generation of cards printed by Wizards of the Coast.

My cards are in truly splendid condition and I've put a ton of my time and money into amassing them in a way that is fiscally responsible. The complete collection is worth more than a semester of my college tuition cost when I was still in school. But I got really creative with how I purchased the cards and I completed the collection at about 1/3 of the cost. But because my pace has been very slow, the value of the cards has increased faster than I can afford them, which has put me up against a wall for my FINAL card. Hence the black card in the first photo.

1st Edition Charizard, in the condition I need and in the correct print run, costs around $2,000. It was only $500 when I started. As much as I want it, and as much as I intend to acquire it someday, I just cannot justify the expense on my current income and standard of living. It would be immoral.

So here is my ALMOST complete Pokémon card collection, save my Holy Grail: the Charizard I need to complete it.

I also have a collection of all the promotional cards distributed in that time - including sealed versions of anything handed out individually.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I will never forget the day I saw it, sitting in a pawn shop display case for $15 bucks. I had no money on me at the time, I asked the clerk if they would hold it for me while I went home to get some money, they wouldn't. I figured what are the chances of it being gone when I got back? I literally planned to go home and get the money and come back.

This was in a fairly rural area too, not a large city of anything. I was about 15 at the time and was with a buddy of mine, we had just put the last of his money in his truck for gas so that's why I had to go back home and get some money I had saved up.

We got back, all together it was probably about 40'ish minutes later. I walk in, money in hand about to plop it down for the game, I walk over to where it was in the display case and find it empty, I then ask the clerk if he took the game out for me.

His words crushed me,

"No, someone bought it about 10 minutes after you left."

I was so pissed. I mean he knew I wanted it, and I told him I was going home to get the money, but he couldn't even wouldn't even hold it for me.

I have never played it, and no longer have any of my old consoles either.

Someday, someday it will be mine.
Ouch that blows. I wouldn't put it past the clerk to quickly look it up online and buy it himself though.

Dec 9, 2017
Probably my Fantastic collection. All consoles and controllers are in great shape. Tight sticks, expansion packs with doors, no cracks or scuffs.

7871c402a82b2370c8f96f139dd8bba93c473721_1_400x500.jpg

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Either my signed by Lord British Ultima IV (crushed slightly when teenage me sat on it by accident in the 80s) or the drawings for Ultima VIII's manual.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've had Earthbound since day 1, and it's in great shape. Also, this StarFox jacket I won in a StarFox competition back in 1993.

Nov 9, 2017
Ummm.....hmmmm.

Maybe my limited edition MGS4? Or copy of The Twin Snakes? I also have all original MGS's (including the Substance and Subsistence editions).

I'm not really a game collector but I do have all the games of the respective franchises I follow:

Assassin's Creed
Metal Gear Solid
Ninja Gaiden (all Xbox and PS versions).
Red Dead

I got the Collector's Edition of MGSV so I have the hand that came with it, the AC flag from Black Flag, the playing cards for Red Dead Redepemtion....that's really about it tho.

Edit: I also have the AC encyclopedia that came with Revelations way back when.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was just listening to the Sega Saturn, Shiro! podcast and this one came up which definitely counts:
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
mFMxqe6.jpg

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Panzer Dragoon Saga. I have the 3 shooters and adore the world and atmosphere they set up. And I like RPGs so it hurts not being able to play this. One day though.

The other would be an Ikaruga cabinet. I kind of want to try and make a custom vertical arcade cab though. Combination of some vert shmups and a few vert classics like Pac-Man and Dk. That would be awesome.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I try to stay away from these threads because it starts getting my collection bug going again lol. Right now, I'm in love with my brand new out of the box Sony KV-27FV310 tv. It's perfect.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
My holy grails aren't that great, but off the top of my head...

-NES top loader that I got for 20 dollars at a pawn shop
-Ni No Kuni White Wizard Edition. Getting one of these was like winning the lottery.
-Sealed copy of GTA Trilogy (Xbox original) that I bought for 75 cents.
-Rule of Rose, Demon's Souls CE, Haunting Ground, Psychic Detective (PS1), Fox Hunt (PS1)

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a sealed copy of Xenogears but it's Greatest Hits. I have a sealed copy of Xenoblade Chronicles. I have the PS1 Lunar games. I have a sealed copy of that $200+ version of Final Fantasy XV that was pretty limited. Never opened it it's still in the shipping box.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I looked for this for AGES back in the day when I heard It had got released, finally one turned up on Play Asia of all places. It's my personal grail.

JdSQB9u.jpg

*Drools*

No horror buff's game collection would be complete without these two bad boys:
IMG.png

My EU copy of SH2 with the directors cut DVD (which I've watched more times than I can count) and Haunting Ground which is pretty rare these days I believe. Not a GREAT game, but the doggo is cute. :3

What?! Haunting Ground is GOAT!!!

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why we can't have good things. SMH

Meaning the sexual undertones in a game about children or the response to it by publishers/legislators?

So here is my ALMOST complete Pokémon card collection, save my Holy Grail: the Charizard I need to complete it.
I have that card.

Probably my Fantastic collection. All consoles and controllers are in great shape. Tight sticks, expansion packs with doors, no cracks or scuffs.

7871c402a82b2370c8f96f139dd8bba93c473721_1_400x500.jpg
That's rad.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Snagged a Xbox copy of Marvel 2 before prices for that game in general blew up.
I assume the value took a hit when the digital versions came out, so second to that is my copy on Cannon Spike.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been lucky enough to receive both Panzer Dragoon Saga and Snatcher as gifts over the years. Both great games. I think my biggest "grail" item is my complete copy of Wheel of Fortune 2 on Tiger Game.Com though. No joke, that is really hard to find, let alone complete. PDS and Snatcher can be easily purchased if you're willing to toss down the money but good luck even finding a copy of Wheel of Fortune 2 to buy.

For things I haven't purchased, I've always wanted to own at least one of the adult themed Panesian NES game. Hot Slots, Bubble Bath Babes, and Peekaboo Poker have been a weird fascination of mine ever since I discovered them through emulation like 20 years ago. They're just the kind of things that don't seem like they should exist.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a collection of 1st Edition Pokémon cards that span the first complete generation of cards printed by Wizards of the Coast.

My cards are in truly splendid condition and I've put a ton of my time and money into amassing them in a way that is fiscally responsible. The complete collection is worth more than a semester of my college tuition cost when I was still in school. But I got really creative with how I purchased the cards and I completed the collection at about 1/3 of the cost. But because my pace has been very slow, the value of the cards has increased faster than I can afford them, which has put me up against a wall for my FINAL card. Hence the black card in the first photo.

1st Edition Charizard, in the condition I need and in the correct print run, costs around $2,000. It was only $500 when I started. As much as I want it, and as much as I intend to acquire it someday, I just cannot justify the expense on my current income and standard of living. It would be immoral.

I also have a collection of all the promotional cards distributed in that time - including sealed versions of anything handed out individually.
But do you have a movie edition MewTwo?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do physical copies of games unless there's a particularly great add in of some type, and for that I'd actually say that the Witcher 3 had the best special edition I've probably ever seen with the sheer amount of pack in goodies and what not, so I'd say that would be my pick for favorite special edition, followed immediately by Dark Souls 2's special edition. I really wish that Dark Souls Trilogy collection was coming west.....

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
thx! looked on german ebay and couldnt quickly find one.

holy shit, yep, seems to be my new holy grail.

That's so dumb. All everyone said at the time was "why is this old ass game coming out? You're an idiot if you buy this." I remember the price dropping steadily due to lack of sales. I think I added it to my cart on NCSX way back when just to round up to free shipping, it must have been $15-$20 or so.

I guess that's why it's expensive now, the lack of interest back then. Still seems silly.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Street Fighter Zero 3 for my Sega saturn. Had some other $$ games (mostly shooters) but sold most of them yet this one I can't seem to let go of

Powwa

Oct 28, 2017
Dicing Knight Period for Wonderswan. I`ll probably never have it as cheapest it goes is around 400 EUR. But recently bought Golden Axe for it so one of the grails achieved already.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have anything gaming related that'd be considered of high importance, but I'd probably have to go with my 60GB PS3. I cherish that machine like a baby.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
CIB Crusader of Centy on Genesis. I only buy complete Genesis games, and that bad boy is gonna be one of the toughest ones I have left to buy.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball GT and Bubble Bobble 2, although neither is in great shape.

More recently I got the NNK Wizard Edition and the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

You do? Lots of people think they have it but just have an unlimited printing of it. What's makes the card valuable isn't just the first edition stamp, but the version of the stamp that was used.

There are effectively five printings of the Base Set Charizard that are only distinguished by printing features. They range anywhere from $30-$2000 in value, so which one you have makes a huge difference.

But maybe you know this already.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I used to have a quite decent PC (more than 150 games from the 80's-90's, all classics) and MSX (~50 games, mostly from Konami, and a couple of working machines) collections, but I got rid of them years ago when I needed both money and space at home. I only kept a bunch of PC games, mostly those that defined my early/mid teens (sans both Dooms and Monkeys/DoTT, holy offers Batman). And while I wouldn't mind to get back some of those games, to be honest it doesn't really bother me nowadays. So I guess this means my current boys are my holy grial :P

abKhHoF.jpg

Last edited:

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All 7 of my WOW collectors edition physical copies, Vanilla through Legion. Still miffed I missed out on the statue by a few hours. My prepaid time ran out while at work, added my CC info after work.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIfm29xh.jpg

My Sega Lindbergh with Virtua Fighter 5 FS

rvkQmgX.jpg

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

DIkANSVVAAAeXFc.jpg

One of these is Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder, and the other is Fantasy Zone II DX