• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I was recently able to get my hands on my two ultimate dream items. I'd post pics but I'm at work.

- Majora's Mask Adventure Set
- A copy of ET for the 2600 recovered from the infamous Alamogordo landfill

I have some other stuff I'd like to get my hands on (20th anniversary PS4, CIB copy of Chrono Trigger just to name a few) but nothing comes close to those two tbh

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
By far my most favorite piece :)
(Prototype PS4 controller)
dsc_009605lun.jpg

dsc_0098gdz5l.jpg

Last edited:

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I do have a modded Multi Mega (European version of the Sega CDX) that plays carts and CDs from all regions, OP :)

I also just got the Super SD System 3 for the PC engine - super sweet to put CD rips on that thing without having to take them off the shelf!

I always wanted to get a Net Yaroze, but never found one in good condition for a good price. Would also love to get my hands on one of the blue debug PS1s :)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
A neogeo mvs 4slot with metal slug, samurai showdown, strikers 1945 and aerofighters2. Although that's also on the fun size. Also have a few of the rarer Dreamcast games, powerstone 2(got a great deal due to missing manual), tech romancer cic, and 2 complete in case copies of skies of Arcadia... I still need to beat it though, would probably restart since I put it down 2 years ago now

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's a copy of Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II Plus on GameCube. I mean, I still have a bunch of games backlogged on GC (including Eternal Darkness, MGS: Twin Snakes, and PSO Episode III), but I just want that game and I truly feel that would complete my GameCube collection in my mind. But every time I see it on eBay, I always see it for no less than $90 for just the disc. I can't see myself justifying any used game for more than $60, especially if there's no extraordinary collectible attached to it

jimjam

Jan 16, 2018
USA
I would love to own any of the PC98 Touhou games, but especially Mystic Square. It's my favorite gameplay-wise and has my favorite character. I saw one up for auction a couple of years ago... for $1,000. Went up to $2,500 in the end.
I almost wish I got it, because I haven't seen any more listings for it in quite a while. Though I guess I could always pick up the whole set for $25,000, haha.

As for anything I actually own, does Haunting Ground count? I picked it up for $20 at a thrift shop with everything included. It's not that rare, but I'm still glad I own a copy.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
I go through phases of caring and then not caring (having a baby this past year is helping the latter stick around longer this time) but any random or obscure old Sega stuff I would love, I am missing a very small amount for a complete Master System physical library, and any obscure Phantasy Star related items I don't have I could see blowing money on. But for right now, I'm safe. I do have a mint Panzer Dragoon Saga with some other rare RPGs stuck in a safe that I keep forgetting about. Should probably just keep forgetting about them too.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
A copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for the PS2. It gave me a $60 trade-in CR at gamestop long time ago lol.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
The thing I want the most is a complete copy of Gimmick! for the Famicom.

As far as stuff I have, the most valuable thing I have is a copy of Magical Pop'n for the Super Famicom.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with a Saturn, so my collection is pretty nice. All the Working Design games, all Panzer Dragoons, Grandia, Radiant Silvergun, Elevator Action Returns, lots of stuff.

I probably paid most for Snatcher on Sega CD, but given what it goes for nowadays, I guess it was a steal.

My current holy grail would be Metal Warriors on SNES. Always meant to buy it as my friend had it and we used to play versus aaaalllll the time. It was wonderful. Had no clue it was so pricy until recently. Always assumed it'd be easy to pick up. Whoops.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
I got nothing too special, but I'm really fond of my Dreamcast collection. I have 2 consoles (one PAL modded, one PAL unmodded) and currently 43 games. Here are some of my favorites:

OKbO1Iu.jpg

And also my Master System games, simply because it was my first console and my late grandfather bought most of the games. Here are the ones I have in box, but I also have several cartridges without the box (Shinobi is pretty cool).

E5tXyBj.jpg

So yeah, I was mostly a SEGA child and unfortunately NES and SNES is too costly for me at the moment to start building up a collection. So I make do with the Classic Minis and stick to buying some more SEGA games. I also rescue Atari 2600 games because nobody wants those poor cartridges (a local eBayer told me he would've thrown them out if I hadn't finally bought them for 1€ each..)

/edit I just realized I misunderstood the thread. This is about holy grails we don't own yet?! :) Well, for Dreamcast I would like to own Sega Bass Fishing and Samba de Amigo (which I used to have back then but sold after a short while, it was just so expensive).

Last edited:

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
my entire dreamcast collection with 35+ games, modded arcade sticks, 2x hotd guns, etc.

will never sell it, although i get rid of my collections regularly. but this one if feel better to keep.

Hugo_Peters

Programmer at Ubisoft
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
aWzWCfQ.jpg

These weirdos are definitely in my top!

Yes, I bought a CDI for like 20$ some time ago, it came with a bunch of games and works till this day!

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of most valuable game, probably my boxed copy of Mega man 5. I'm pretty happy with my modded Sega Saturn though.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have a bunch , but nothing too rare like some hardcore collectors.

I believe it will be Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Valkyrie profile for PSX and Mars Matrix for DC.

Maybe i have games which are currently more pricey but haven't investigated that much.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steel Battalion. Wish I'd picked it up when I saw it for ~$100 a few years ago but I was broke and didn't have space for that thing anyways. Now the prices for it are absurd.

I wound up grabbing mine in box for $400 CAD last year.

Final Fantasy (NES)- complete w/box, map and manual

I'm always surprised to see it when I rummage through the history of my gaming collection.

Yeah that's a good one too.

Last edited:

ShiftaDeband

Nov 15, 2017
My Phantasy Star Online collection, without a doubt. This photo is missing my PSO Episode III Trial Edition, original PC version, and a few other promo videos. Oh, and the VMU.

mKgUCDu.jpg

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish I had Panzer Dragoon Saga because the Saturn was my first console and what got me into gaming, and to have what most people think of when you say "rare/valuable game", would be an awesome addition to the original console I've had since I was <2 years old

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
EarthBound would have to be it for me. I've sold off some gems when I was younger and didn't have much money. I think the only other expensive thing I have is Fire Emblem Path of Radiance in mint condition and the official strategy guide for it.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
So many people in this thread listing their most prized item in their collection.

A "Holy Grail" isn't something you have in your collection, that's not the definition. It's the ultimate end goal, something essentially unattainable.

For me, it would be a Beatmania iidx arcade machine in my garage.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not my favorites but likely most valuable and rare, Miyamoto signed pikmin2 marquee (poor crab guy lost his face mandibles) the Mac game Through the looking glass, and the japanese version of Ufouria. I have chase the chuck wagon as well, but need to find it in the closet

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big collector, but I'd have to say either a mint copy of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition or my Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Tournament Edition fight stick.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my favorite collection pieces:

I always wanted to own a prototype of an NES game. They're one of those cool pieces of video game history. I also wanted a prototype of game I had fond memories of playing as a child. Last year when I attended Retroworld Expo 2017 in CT, I took some advice and brought a box of trade bait in the hopes of trading for uncommon/rare NES carts. While I was looking around, I came across a vendor with about a dozen NES prototypes for sale. One that stood out for me personally was a prototype for Little Nemo.

I traded him a pair of rare games I brought with me for the prototype. This game used to be a favorite rental of mine when I was a kid, so I love owning this piece. In case anyone is wondering, the prototype contains the final build rom, no long lost early build or anything. According to the vendor, he bought the dozen set of NES prototypes from an estate clean-out guy from NYC. The home they came from previously belonged to a magazine journalist, so I presume the prototypes were sent to him as review copies.

56C6B7BB-06D4-6D59-72B30E93AF39ECFF.png

56C6EB14-A3CB-CB29-57E3C8B7EC74E287.png

My copy of Toxic Crusaders signed by Lloyd Kaufman. The picture below is a couple of years old, I have since added the signatures of James Rolfe (AVGN) and Kyle Justin (AVGN's guitar guy) to the front cover art.

6AD81CE5-EAC0-1976-374CFE205E1A45BD.png

A cart of Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat signed by Youtuber Pat the NES Punk.

C932033D-9F13-01E4-FAF6A753E20F8C8A.png

My complete copy of Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Sega Saturn. I started building up a collection of Street Fighter games a couple of years ago, and I passed multiple opportunities to buy this game complete at $100 because I was foolishly waiting for a better price. Shortly after 2013 I think, the price for the game spiked up to about $200 and I was kicking myself for waiting. I wound up having to monitor eBay and other sellers for two years before I could get a complete copy for close to that old $100 price.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a separate thread for rare game collections (not necessarily holy grails)?

This stuff is super interesting

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming related is fine.

Someone posted a rare guitar earlier.

Ooh then. This is good.

My prized possessions would be all the advertising and inter-company Nintendo/Sega videos.

Asxb0lM.jpg

Theres at least 2 hours of new E3 content in there, plus a bunch of rare gaming OVA's (Fire Emblem, Goemon) and oodles of uncommon promotional video material. Even stuff like NoA tours and factory tours of kiosk setup plants.

OP
OP
Proteus

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ooh then. This is good.

My prized possessions would be all the advertising and inter-company Nintendo/Sega videos.

Asxb0lM.jpg

Theres at least 2 hours of new E3 content in there, plus a bunch of rare gaming OVA's (Fire Emblem, Goemon) and oodles of uncommon promotional video material. Even stuff like NoA tours and factory tours of kiosk setup plants.

Is this content available on youtube at all? This is pretty damn cool.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I bought my CDX at a Goodwill back in the early 2000's...I wanna say 2002? I think I grabbed it for like $30 lol. No AC adapter, but I picked one up later and it's still working to this day. I guess apparently that's a "holy grail" item I own, but not what I would've thought of first.

My Saturn game collection is probably my holy grail. Out of the super pricey Saturn games out there I have: Burning Rangers, Shining Force 3, Sega Ages.

Really wish I could get Panzer Dragoon Saga some day. To me that's the ultimate holy grail of video games.