• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Over or under?

• Over

Votes: 347 91.3%
  • Under

Votes: 33 8.7%

• Total voters

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
So when you put the fresh toilet roll on the dispenser, do you make it so the paper's origin is from under the roll or over the top?

I don't really take much notice (until just now) but it appears I am preconditioned to put it under.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
These are the kind of psychological questions I like to ask myself when thinking about life.

OP, your question has shook my very core and I can't help but think...

UNDER....

OR....

OVER....

I'm too lazy to go and find out so the question evades me like the quest for the perfect sandwhich.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
DGkZhXEWAAAne17.jpg

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Over. It's the proper way.

Some people with cats will do Under, but thankfully my cat never figured this trick out.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Over is correct but SO always installs it under so it's whoever gets there first.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Under is batfuck crazypills. There's no good way to tear it, and it feels unnatural to reach under the roll for the dangling end.

BTW, over is not only more popular, but it's more hygienic, because your hand is less likely to brush the germ-covered wall. Under is more likely to lead to sickness from fecal germs. Even apparently clean bathrooms are filthy unless each surface is disinfected daily.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Honestly, I can see both sides of this argument.

Under is more pet-proof so they can spin it without you worrying about them emptying the roll, and it gives you the tool itself as hand resistance if you decide to tear a few pieces off, though only with an underhanded grip.

Over is much more visibly conducive to finding the last square in the case that it's fused to the roll somehow, and tearing off a square only requires bracing your middle finger down against the roll to tear a piece.

I guess the clearest way to decide is this:

Do you prefer to tear a square off the roll using the closer hand (Under), or the further hand (Over)?

These positions are best suited to actually getting toilet paper from the roll most comfortably from either position, otherwise you are making it less comfortable for no reason.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Over. It's kind of one of those things that in practice doesn't matter but it bothers you when SO does it under all the time.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Get two toilet paper dispensers. Have one under and one over. It's about choice.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Always done it under. With over it tends to run away with itself, maybe there's more resistance under so you can better get the amount you want.

I don't care how you do it.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
My holder has a bad placement in my bathroom so I just keep it standing within arm-reach on a nearby shelf.

The answer is over though. Always over.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is it a over instead of under though? Afraid that your chocolate cornhole will touch wall germs?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who puts the roll under is uncivilized, untrustworthy, likely a serious danger to society, and probably has bad taste in movies.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never really think about it when I'm putting on the new roll. Sometimes over, sometimes under.

What does this say about me?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do under, but I've had too many roommates who go through toilet paper like nothing and would always leave that last strap to justify not replacing it, that I just put it vertical on the roller.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If you ever get printed toilet paper, with pictures or writing, it is designed to be installed over. So over is the correct answer. If you install this type of paper under, then the pattern on it would be hanging backwards and unreadable.