• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Im reallyly surprised at all the shouts for mech2. It was my pick, too, but its so ooooold.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loved this game on PS2 for the slick graphics and insane combat. Picked it up last year and beat it in one sitting.

If you haven't played this game yet, and you enjoy mech games, you need to buy this game!

11c0e9ad0f0242ac110002.jpg

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Xenogears, because it's not really a mech game so much as it's a turn-based RPG with mechs. It's also one of my favourite RPGs, which helps.
A turn based rpg mecha game is still a mecha game. As long as it has mecha as part of its core plot and gameplay, still considered as a mecha game. Op doesnt even say it has to be a certain kind of mecha genre

And also, im surprised no one mentioned trails of cold steel: legend of heroes. As far as i know, doesnt the game also have mecha??

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
Im reallyly surprised at all the shouts for mech2. It was my pick, too, but its so ooooold.
Why? Mechwarrior 2 was massive at the time. It was the high profile PC mech game. The intro alone was well regarded and still is.

Besides Mechwarrior 2, I liked Heavy gear 2 (the last mission on a CEF gateship was great) I recently have been getting in to Earthsiege 1 and Starsiege after find out you could still get them free. Earthsiege 2 unfortunately doesn't work

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
8428968e28466b43e0939nykf7.jpg

MechForce on Amiga was amazing.
Basically a version of battletech tabletop game on Amiga.

MechWarrior 1&2.
First one was nice due to the freedom it gave to players.
Second is just amazing simulation of proper mech combat. (Honorable mention to Interstate 76 which did same for car combat.) (Both superior in software rendered mode.)

Front Mission 3 was also good.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they were mechs, about building sized. It was 3D graphics in a 3D world (about as well as PS1 could do at least), top-down/isometic and fairly slow. Levels were open and you could kind of just wander around blowing stuff up.

Unfortunately it was a long time ago, so the details are extremely hazy.
I asked around but all people come up with and games I find are games that aren't really topdown or isometric. But maybe it's one of these?
- Uprising X
- Armored Core
- Iron Soldier
- Carnage Heart

Or was it a strategy game? Front Mission 3 or Front Mission Alternative?

Jun 17, 2018
Mechassault.

It had a wicked campaign and the multiplayer was so much fun with a surprising amount of depth.

It was also the first proper Xbox Live shooter style game to come out so had a large player base.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
It's not nearly my favorite but I still want to give a shout out to Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars on GBA.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed that game.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Front Mission 3 for me. Still one of my favourite SRPGs, having two massive campaigns spread across an imagined setting steeped in the politics of imagined reworked future factions kept me busy for months.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The Super Robot Wars series.

untitled.jpg

It has all the goodness of various franchises' mechs and stories as well as the original story of each game.

Nov 8, 2017
I like you. I think both games are totally underrated. They should be given more attention.

As to where Mechwarrior had those big ass slow machines this had much smaller but faster mechs. They even have roller blades to traverse more quickly.

The num pad controls were wack but I did feel very accomplished when I eventually mastered them. Definitely never finished the game without cheats lol. Such is gaming as a kid.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I asked around but all people come up with and games I find are games that aren't really topdown or isometric. But maybe it's one of these?
- Uprising X
- Armored Core
- Iron Soldier
- Carnage Heart

Or was it a strategy game? Front Mission 3 or Front Mission Alternative?

I'm really sorry, nothing's ringing a bell. I shouldn't have even brought it up with as foggy a memory as it was, but I really appreciate the effort of yourself and the others in trying to jog my inadequate memory.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Why? Mechwarrior 2 was massive at the time. It was the high profile PC mech game. The intro alone was well regarded and still is.

Besides Mechwarrior 2, I liked Heavy gear 2 (the last mission on a CEF gateship was great) I recently have been getting in to Earthsiege 1 and Starsiege after find out you could still get them free. Earthsiege 2 unfortunately doesn't work

I remember earthsiege well. I remember how it was different from MechWarrior. I played a ton.

There was a spinoff of Earth siege... Where you played one-on-one arena fights and went up a ladder. Can't remember the name at the moment.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe, actually, Cybernator and Metal Warriors. As a kid I loved especially the lush environments of MW. And the concept of getting out of your mecha and feel so vulnerable on foot... That was pretty cool. Titanfall 2 gave me a bit of a flashback, but that game never had that sense of danger you had when you went out of the mecha in MW... I'm still kinda hoping there's more enthousiasts of that mechanic out there and some indie will go and make something new in this vein. Tungsten Armored Outlaw, perhaps.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Heavy Gear 2.

Myself and some friends were big into the early clan system and multiplayer at the time. Early GameSpy days. It was a fun game and if I recall, one of the early graphics accelerated games too?

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Front Mission 3, no doubt about it

Loved the gameplay, the characters, the story, it's still my fav srpg with fft

kdm

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of solid recommendations that I'd second here. Probably one I wouldn't expect to see here... Metal Warriors for the SNES.

Solid sidescroller with a great scope - you could even hop out of your mech and jump into another one, with an appropriate sense of scale.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I have such nostalgia for Virtual On. My first experience with it was in a small short lived arcade in NJ. I played it on the Dreamcast constantly from then on.

118124218532.jpg

Virtual-On-Screenshot-1.jpg

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My pc at the time was so bad, couldn't even run it. Got it on PS1 at the time. That intro... I mean. Top 10 GOAT for me.

The trailer they released for the reboot of Mechwarrior reminded me souch of it, so so epic!

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Titanfall

TF2 was great for it's story but I liked the multiplayer from the first game better. There is a reason why Respawn changed things around to reflect a more TF1 type experience.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
ZOE2, played the whole game in VR and it was something else. You really get a sense of scale and the speed you are moving at when you are in the cockpit.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That first Titanfall was so good! Titanfall 2 was pretty great too, but I got into playing PvP multiplayer again for Titanfall and I didn't think that would happen again.

My answer would have to be a old Mechwarrior game though. I played so much Mechwarrior 2 back when I was a stupid teenager in the 90s while having the Gravity Kills CD playing on my portable CD player (does it get more "edgy 90s" than that?). Like, I really liked playing Mechwarrior 1 when I was a little younger, but Mechwarrior 2 just looked so much better.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
And also, im surprised no one mentioned trails of cold steel: legend of heroes. As far as i know, doesnt the game also have mecha??

There are a couple reasons why people wouldn't mention the Cold Steel games. One, the fact that the games have mech combat is kind of a spoiler. Two, the games are much more known for their stories and characters than they are for their mechs (Xenogears is story-driven, too, but its mechs feature much more prominently throughout the game and in its promotional materials). Three, the first Cold Steel game only has mech battles at the very end, and the other games put a lot more emphasis on hand-to-hand combat than mech combat. Four, half of the Cold Steel games haven't been released in English yet.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch has been the only game where I truly feel like I'm piloting a heavy yet nimble mech that can fly without being an awful simulator type game. I don't even play it anymore but I'd love a Gundam game based around D.Va controls. Titanfall 2 is cool but it doesn't scratch the same itch

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Pretty sure they were mechs, about building sized. It was 3D graphics in a 3D world (about as well as PS1 could do at least), top-down/isometic and fairly slow. Levels were open and you could kind of just wander around blowing stuff up.

Unfortunately it was a long time ago, so the details are extremely hazy.
Could it be Blast Corps? It is an early N64 game where you use various construction vehicles and mechs to demolish buildings in order to clear the path for a runaway nuclear weapon transport vehicle. It has the open levels, blocky graphics, and building destruction you mention.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
I remember earthsiege well. I remember how it was different from MechWarrior. I played a ton.

There was a spinoff of Earth siege... Where you played one-on-one arena fights and went up a ladder. Can't remember the name at the moment.
Metaltech:Battledrome. Never played it. It was announced before Earthsiege but came out after it.

TFJ

Aug 9, 2019
I haven't played many mech games, but I think I will go with Front Mission 2. While most people will say Front Mission 5 is the best in the series (which is reasonable), I think 2 has the best level design and overall game mechanics, with a high degree of difficulty.. It also has a very cool setting, with the plot taking place in modern day Bangladesh.

Really needs a remake though, since the loading times are atrocious and the UI not very user friendly.

Also, the character design by Jun Suemi is a delight.

fm2-ash-faruk.jpg
fm2-amia-mccalum.jpg
fm2-griff-burnam.jpg

Nov 2, 2017
Mechwarrior 3 for sure! I was too young to appreciate MW2 at the time, but MW3 really captured the feel of being in this massive heavy mech, and I really like the way the game was set behind enemy lines, forcing you to strategically try to disable enemy mechs to add them to your roster, rather than completely destroying them.

In some ways MW4 was certainly a more polished game and I know the multiplayer was pretty popular at the time, but I thought it lost the weighty feeling of MW3 and felt more arcade-y.

Nov 2, 2017
Warszawa
SHOGO

I like the games structure where I felt like I was a part of a bigger story and world, and not just separate missions/levels to beat.
You had few mechs to choose with different stats, cool music, awesome weapons and effects, you could transform into a vehicle but there were also on foot missions.

shogo-mobile-armor-division-screenshot.jpg

14041.jpg

jpg

Last edited:

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Titanfall 2 for me. Never really played other Mech games.

Are there other games like Titanfall 2, where you switch between mech and just regular fps?

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Armored Core 3

Lots of content, some cool multiplayer maps, an insane amount of parts for your mech,...
I like most of the AC games but this one really stood out for me.