• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your Favorite Video game movies

• Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie

Votes: 57 10.4%
  • Prince of Persia

Votes: 30 5.5%
  • Silent Hill (2006)

Votes: 98 17.9%
  • Mortal Kombat (1995)

Votes: 177 32.4%
  • Pokémon the first movie

Votes: 81 14.8%
  • Tomb Raider (2001)

Votes: 16 2.9%
  • Another One

Votes: 87 15.9%

• Total voters

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil; not a perfect adaptation, but it has an awesome theme song, and some standout set pieces that compare favorably to the games.
Am I the only one who absolutely love the Alicia Vikander Tomb Raider movie?
I liked the Jolie films a lot more, especially their soundtracks. They're also one of the only movie adaptations that proved to be highly influential to the games they were based on (Anderson's Resident Evil films being another). I wanted to like the 2018 film, but it got everything about Tomb Raider wrong, and didn't substitute the lack of source material with any engaging ideas. It also tried to combine elements of the first two games for no apparent reason.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Silent Hill. It's a legit good movie, only real flaws being things they shoehorned in specifically as fan service such as pyramid head. People hated it when it first came out but I said then it was a great film that worked well even without the connection and the changes were okay the point of adaption should be to capture the spirit not literal 1:1 translation. People seem to be coming around on it finally though.

As for Mortal Kombat it's a fun watch since it is accurate as hell, but that and nostalgia are why it's loved, purely as a film without being a literal adaption it's pure trash and I can't see anyone who's not already invested in the story and characters finding anything of worth in it.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I much prefer the live action Street Fighter movie to the animated one. Of those on the list I'd choose Mortal Kombat; it's delightfully camp and I watched it loads as a kid.

The Wizard is my favourite videogame movie though.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Edge of Tomorrow is the [insert video game here] of movies. The dude just keeps respawning.

Also it accurately depicts video game stuff because Tomcruise eventually weiners his way into being cool and shooting at aliens without even looking at them because he know where they're gonna be. That one shot of Emily Blunt they keep reusing isn't as hot as they want it to be, though. Tomcruise's weird squelch when crushed under a truck is really funny, though.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I think the first Silent Hill Movie was really good, it captured in a decent way the feeling of Silent Hill.

Mortal Kombat is quite "trash low budget" movie, but is always fun to see. At least is more or less true to the original material

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
wizard.jpg
How can you not include The Wizard in this poll.

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
While it's not the best horror movie ever Silent Hill mimics the feeling I got from playing the game so well. The last 25 % of the movie is kind of bad and despite my love for Sean Bean his parts are the weakest but it's overall one of the best game movies ever made.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Silent Hill is the best. Followed by SF:The Animated Movie (And these two are not great by any means)

The rest are total shit.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Mortal Kombat is the very definition of a guilty pleasure. It's dumb as hell but tonally spot on, so it manages to be a lot of fun as long as you're willing to completely switch your brain off.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I love Resident Evil OST (kudos to the "Afterlife" OST that I instantly liked at the first hearing in the cinema) and I enjoyed the first one. Didn't like the 3rd and the last though.

For fun I like the Street Fighter with Vandamme and Mortal Kombat with the terrible laugh of Lambert :'D

I'm waiting for the movie about Monster Hunter with a lot of apprehension lol.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think i named the 6 movies that people usualy like more or have more nostalgia when the subject is videogame movies.
1. Street Fighter II: The animated movie
220px-Street_Fighter_II_The_Animated_Movie_%28Japanese_pamphlet%29.JPG

Summary:
"Bison, the ruthless leader of the international terrorist organization Shadowlaw, has been desperately searching for the greatest fighter on the planet for years. He finds it in Ryu, a young wanderer who never stays in one place long enough for Bison to find him. He does, however, get a fix on Ken Masters, an American martial arts champion who studied with Ryu as a child under the same master. Meanwhile, Major Guile of the United States Army is forced to team up with Chun Li from China in hopes of apprehending Bison and putting a stop his international ring of crime."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114563/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

2. Prince of Persia
220px-Prince_of_Persia_poster.jpg

Summary: "A young fugitive Prince and Princess must stop a villain who unknowingly threatens to destroy the world with a special dagger that enables the magic sand inside to reverse time. "
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473075/

3. Silent Hill (2006)
220px-Silent_Hill_film_poster.jpg

Summary: "A woman, Rose, goes in search for her adopted daughter within the confines of a strange, desolate town called Silent Hill. "
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/

4. Mortal Kombat (1995)
220px-Mortal_Kombat_poster.jpg

Summary: "Three unknowing martial artists are summoned to a mysterious island to compete in a tournament whose outcome will decide the fate of the world. "
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113855/

5.Pokémon The First Movie
s-l300.jpg

Summary: "Scientists genetically create a new Pokémon, Mewtwo, but the results are horrific and disastrous. "
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190641/

6. Tomb Raider (2001)
240px-Lara_Croft_Tomb_Raider.jpg

Summary: "Video game adventurer Lara Croft comes to life in a movie where she races against time and villains to recover powerful ancient artifacts. "
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0146316

7. Another one

name it
No Advent Children? Are you even trying, OP?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No Dead or Alive? :P

I kid, the one I would choose to watch is Mortal Kombat so went with that.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.

But for me, it was Tuesday.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ash dying in Pokemon the first movie gave kid me depression so that

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Voted for Mortal Kombat since we're talking about video game adaptations, but the best video game movie is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PoP and Silent Hill were somewhat decent, but how did the OP fail to list Resident Evil? (The first one)

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
1. Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
2. Sonic OVA
3. Various Pokemon movies
4. MK1
5. Street Fighter II

Moral of the story is that animation will always be better than live action.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The RE movies are schlocky guilty pleasure fun

But Tomb Raider 2018 is easily the best videogame movie. Unfortunately that bar is so low that just being a mediocre yet competent action-adventure movie is enough to be better than every other game adaptation I've seen.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I'd say RE1 followed by Mortal Kombat. I don't think there has been an actually good video game movie, but those two have the right blend of campy and entertainment value to make me go back and watch them every so often.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That is based on a comic and it's closer to Groundhog Day than DS.

It is based on a BOOK that also spawned a manga.
On groundhog day he goes back when the day ends. Here he goes back when he dies. So it is like a really hard videogame that you need muscle memory to beat. Like Dark Souls... Or most NES hard games

Dec 11, 2017
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is a great film. Over the years, it has become one of my most watched movies.

That being said, I hope that 2022's Super Mario cgi flick in theaters tops all of these and becomes my new favorite video game movie.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Silent Hill movie really that good? I skipped it because you know, its a movie based on a videogame.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Where's the live action Street Fighter movie? Raul Julia has one of my favorite performances in that movie.