• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Battle music. Probably one of the hallmarks of the RPG genre, as well as stylish action and even fighting games. So many games use battle themes in expert ways to set particular tones or feelings while the player is taking on enemies or bosses. Most recently, Final Fantasy VII Remake did an excellent job of weaving sweeping, multi-part battle themes through various stages of boss battles, allowing the music to progress along with the player as they get closer and closer to the end. A lot of games tend to use this kind of music to build hype or excitement, to help influence the player into a particularly heightened state to suit the mood of the combat system.

But what about the battle themes that AREN'T there to get you hyped? Sometimes a game will swerve the traditional "hype music" format and use something different - comic, dramatic, serious - to extoll a different feeling. Maybe the developers DON'T want you to be excited or pumped up - maybe they need you to feel sadness, or pity, or fear. Maybe they want to make it clear that a particular fight is especially memorable.

One of Chrono Cross' most powerful moments is a crushingly difficult boss battle with music that sounds like it should be playing at a funeral rather than a duel:

And more recently, the battle theme for the secret boss fight from Kingdom Hearts III barely even counts as battle music, as it resembles a flowing multi-part orchestral suite:

What are your favorite examples of battle themes that don't feel like "battle themes"? When composers buck the trend of their games' established musical flow to hit you with something new or unexpected, does it stick with you? Share your favorites. I want to see what makes you hyped without hyping you up.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Power of Jin- Xenoblade 2

The game and series in general tend to build up fights with hyped rock mixes, but this is played for the drama and gravitas it deserves. Jin is arguably the most complex character in the series, and this fight does a great job of capturing the emotional stakes of the fight.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
FF9 - You are not Alone

Plays throughout the whole sequence going from dialogue to battle etc.

Great track playing during one of the game's best moments

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My perfect example for this, a song I treasure a lot, the OST track for a particular boss in Baten Kaitos Origins. Such a beautiful track, the vocals are actually sung by Sakuraba's own daughter as well.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
First song that comes to mind is from Fire Emblem Awakening.

"Don't Speak Her Name!"

From Chapter 10: "Renewal"

For one, this song plays for the entire map with no change depending on wether you're in a fight or not. It's also a battle that no one really wants to fight. You tried and failed to save Chrom's sister Emmeryn, and you now have to deal with that. Chrom is mad. Like really, really mad. But the boss of the chapter is probably the most sympathetic enemy in the entire game.

Which is also where the song title comes from. The enemy boss Mustafa tries to console Chrom and he is having none of that. Adding to that, the enemy soldiers start to argue if they should defect, but decide they'll stand by Mustafa's side.

His last words are pleading you to spare his men. But this is rout map. You cannot do that, you win by killing every last one of them.

This chapter is just horrible in all the right ways.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
youtu.be

Into The Dusk

Provided to YouTube by iMusician Digital AGInto The Dusk · Namco SoundsAce Combat 5 The Unsung War℗ BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.Auto-generated by YouTube.

Idk if "sad music that plays over combat" counts as a battle theme in the sense the op means, but here we go.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Power of Jin- Xenoblade 2

The game and series in general tend to build up fights with hyped rock mixes, but this is played for the drama and gravitas it deserves. Jin is arguably the most complex character in the series, and this fight does a great job of capturing the emotional stakes of the fight.

Who composed this track? There is an oddly prominent amount of the Final Fantasy prelude arpeggio sprinkled throughout the song. Like a weird little musical homage.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Funeral of Flowers

These video titles below are misnamed, so swap "Thunder" and "Rain."

This is the map theme:

This is the battle theme:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gywn's theme comes to mind even though there are probably better ones.

There's also Sealed Vessel from Hollow Knight, which starts bombastic before breaking down as the fight wears on.

Genz

Oct 27, 2017
"Fate" from Drag-on Dragoon 2

It plays when fighting Caim, the protagonist of the first Drag-on Dragoon

FFXI Rhapsody of Vana'diel final boss

Rhapsody of Vana'diel was supposed to be the last story of FFXI. During the fight, images of all the other stories from the game appears in the background.

bigzgod

Oct 27, 2017

The final boss fight of Trails of Cold Steel II. Very against the grain of fight songs in Kiseki but it fits perfectly here, capturing the entire sentiment of the story and plot to date and serves as a farewell to the entire class, as they all get ready to graduate and move on to their different paths in life.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who composed this track? There is an oddly prominent amount of the Final Fantasy prelude arpeggio sprinkled throughout the song. Like a weird little musical homage.
Here's the writing credit, I'm not sure who did this track specifically:

Soundtrack, composed by ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, Manami Kiyota, and Yasunori Mitsuda

If I recall, Jin was one of the characters designed by Nomura, so the FF connections are there, especially with Monolithsoft being a lot of former Square folks.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Caim's entire arc in Drakengard 2 is a brief interlude where the game rises from being soupy trash before swiftly descending once he exits.

Motherfucker kills a dude so hard he takes the Grim Reaper with him.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Caim's entire arc in Drakengard 2 is a brief interlude where the game rises from being soupy trash before swiftly descending once he exits.

Motherfucker kills a dude so hard he takes the Grim Reaper with him.

Probably one of the top three moments in the entire Nierkengard series and it's in the worst game of the lot.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

Another one from FFIX I'm fond of is the fight against Beatrix. The atmosphere and tone around the whole city destroying segment of the game was pretty well done on my opinion.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Well, since the KH3 secret boss theme and The Other Promise were already mentioned, I guess I'll round out the "surprisingly somber KH boss theme" trinity with Vector to the Heavens.

May 26, 2018
The whole soundtrack's full of danger and majesty and adventure.

Then you get here...

And it sounds like you're about to murder a field of baby horses with forbidden magic.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
They teeter the line but I always found Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2's final boss themes melancholy when you remember the context for each fight.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

FFXI Rhapsody of Vana'diel final boss

Rhapsody of Vana'diel was supposed to be the last story of FFXI. During the fight, images of all the other stories from the game appears in the background.

Second was going to be my choice.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the music here is fromRPGs, btu the first thing that came to mind for me was Peril from Halo 2:

Bungie's Halo games have a handful of tracks like this that play during combat, but this was always the one that stood out to me the most.

Also, some more FFXIV:

The music from the Alexander raid series was a huge factor in getting me interested in the game. This is the most chilled out one of them but it's all great.

The Lakshmi fight is super fun and this song is a big part of why it's so memorable to me.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dark Souls - Great Grey Wolf Sif

😭

Phantasy Star IV - Her Last Breath

This is technically the theme for a character's death, but there's a hidden boss fight where you fight an illusion that looks like (the ghost of) that character, and the same music plays during that fight. 😭

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This is cheating a bit, but Life Will Change playing throughout the entirety of your final run in a Palace (including battles) uninterrupted is awesome, wish more JRPGs would experiement with their music and how they go from one song to the other

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Almost every move you could learn from someone in Shenmue games has it's own theme song. Something about this particular song is just beyond incredible to me. So many fantastic songs are legit hidden in this game.