• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 17, 2017
Effortlessly defeating an army or large group.

ThriftyRegalIrishredandwhitesetter-max-1mb.gif

Aizen stopping not just Ichigo's attack but also his hero/theme music will always be funny.

I'm a sucker for when someone doesn't appear to move but they suddenly have something of their opponents in their hand.
I love how much later Ichigo stops Aizen's villainous music by stopping his sword with just his hand

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
When the bad guy unleashes some mega attack and they take it and say you broke/ ruined my favorite suit/chair etc.
Also
"My Turn"

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
My favourite is the "you just fucked up" panel like this one from Ippo:

xinc1c60t9151.jpg

So good.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
It's nowhere near the same scale as everyone else's examples so far, but in one of the Halo games, an Elite tells his superior something like "Their ships outnumber us 3 to 1" and their superior is like "Then, it's an even fight". Or in Halo 3, the scene where Chief meets Arbiter in the beginning of the game. Chief still thinks he's an enemy, so he grabs Johnson's gun when he notices a cloaked Arbiter nearby and shoves it under Arbiter's chin. Johnson has to stop Chief from shooting, but Arbiter wasn't worried at all. He was just like "Were it so easy". That sort of confidence is cool, too, like you just know that they're waiting for a chance to fuck shit up.

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
When someone lands a hit and nothing happens and the person turns like "fucker did you just break that chair over my head?"

goku-punch.gif

I personally prefer when Janemba hits Gogeta as a desperate attack knowing that it won't make any difference.

janemba-gogeta.gif

Also with Shin Ultraman already out in Japan, I really love this scene where one of the aliens (mephilas) tries to attack with Ultraman with his electric attack and Ultraman stands there and takes the hit.

Speaking of The Juggernaut, when they use their own catchphrase in battle
main-qimg-0ae2cadbf10cfb3d1888bb901d03b3ae.webp

Jeez, didn't think Juggernaut had Wolverine levels of surviving beyond his bones. What the hell happened to him?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a Super fan, BUT this is the best version of what you're describing since it actually shifts Goku's face and still no fucks given. I don't like the version of this where the person hit literally does not move. Frieza is throwing some serious power here, and nada.
I personally prefer when Janemba hits Gogeta as a desperate attack knowing that it won't make any difference.

janemba-gogeta.gif

Also with Shin Ultraman already out in Japan, I really love this scene where one of the aliens (mephilas) tries to attack with Ultraman with his electric attack and Ultraman stands there and takes the hit.

Jeez, didn't think Juggernaut had Wolverine levels of surviving beyond his bones. What the hell happened to him?

This is a pretty good version that too
CooperativeElatedAfricangroundhornbill-max-1mb.gif

The fist getting less effective over time until it straight up stops working

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Juggernaut jobbing to Onslaught in UXM 322 is the very first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Always wondered if that inspired the Hulk's crash to Earth in Infinity War at least a little bit.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was mentioned already, but when someone says a characters name and everyone else acts like "Did he just tell _____ to eat a dick? OMG, FUCKING RUN EVERYONE!!". The first John Wick, for example. The one dude is telling his dad "Yeah, I killed some dumb dog. The owner was some douche named John Wick. He pissed me off. Whatever". And the dad is like "Wait, you fucked with John Wick?! Well, we're all fucking dead now, you dipshit!".

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Juggernaut jobbing to Onslaught in UXM 322 is the very first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Always wondered if that inspired the Hulk's crash to Earth in Infinity War at least a little bit.
my favorite juggernaut jobbing was to gladiator in the cartoon.

www.youtube.com

X - MEN Gladiator VS Juggernaut / Gladiator Original Voice !

This is the ORIGINAL Voice of Gladiator (Shi'ar Praetorian Guard) from the Episode of X men TAS - Phoenix Saga Part 3.This episode has been re-dubbed, an...

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
my favorite juggernaut jobbing was to gladiator in the cartoon.

www.youtube.com

X - MEN Gladiator VS Juggernaut / Gladiator Original Voice !

This is the ORIGINAL Voice of Gladiator (Shi'ar Praetorian Guard) from the Episode of X men TAS - Phoenix Saga Part 3.This episode has been re-dubbed, an...

You just reminded me of one of my favorite issues of X-Men of all time when Gladiator gets his shit kicked in by Cannonball. I wonder if Sam Guthrie could stop the Juggernaut

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The best is when a character is showing restraint in a friendly sparring match, like in Ip Man, and it's humbling knowing what they could potentially do to someone

200.gif

And then they see their friend murdered by occupying fascists, and they stop holding back

SvJY165.gif

FoolhardyImpishEchidna-max-1mb.gif

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
How about a villain tbat just doesn't care that you are the "hero" or give a fuck about whatever revenge you are after?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
DC has developed their own mini-trope over the years, where poor Superman gets to be the punching bag for the latest villain and the writers need a quick way of establishing how powerful they are. This was especially hilarious in the first couple of seasons of the Justice League animated series. Supes repeatedly got his shit kicked in by the villain of the week three seconds into every fight just so the rest of the League actually had something to do XD.

In fact Bruce Timm mentioned that they used the trope so often that they'd inadvertently made Superman look fucking useless, to the point wheren fans started complaining. Thankfully by the time JLU rolled around Superman was allowed to be competent again.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I always like a good classic neck crack.

Or when a villain has to take off their glasses to take the fight seriously.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
When a larger group surrounds one or two people, but they're just like "oh all of you against me? You're outnumbered."

I liked this in the bus scene in Nobody. Warning there's some nasty impromptu surgery at the end.

www.youtube.com

Nobody | The Bus Fight in 4K HDR

Hutch (Bob Odenkirk) seems like just another ordinary man sitting at the back of the bus to these drunkards. Little do they know, he's ready to ruin their en...

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
DC has developed their own mini-trope over the years, where poor Superman gets to be the punching bag for the latest villain and the writers need a quick way of establishing how powerful they are. This was especially hilarious in the first couple of seasons of the Justice League animated series. Supes repeatedly got his shit kicked in by the villain of the week three seconds into every fight just so the rest of the League actually had something to do XD.

In fact Bruce Timm mentioned that they used the trope so often that they'd inadvertently made Superman look fucking useless, to the point wheren fans started complaining. Thankfully by the time JLU rolled around Superman was allowed to be competent again.

Yeah that happens in Star Trek with Worf. He is meant to be a badass so the easiest way to show a villain is powerful is to have them beat up on Worf, but the problem is it happens so often that it just makes him look so bad to the point where he probably should have been replaced by someone else :P

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always like when they interrupt the hero's battle theme. Number One just cutting off when facing Aizen (with bonus use of just one finger!) was perfect for establishing the pecking order.

Oct 25, 2017
When the super cocky villain sees the protag do something and switches from no fear to one fear in a single frame.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of the lazy fuckers like Starrk in Bleach who just wanna lay around. Also dude use to be a walking nuke, killing everything around him.

Another option is motherfucking Nathan Mahler from Blood+, who is all playful and jovial until he has to throw weight around. Big fan of the the higher pitched voice that gets dropped. Also he's voice by Keiji Fujiwara. Couldn't find a good sub video on yt so here's it in the not-great dub. Dude is literally immortal btw, unlike every other vampire he is unable to die due to being the main character and villain's dead vampire mom bodyguard.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah that happens in Star Trek with Worf. He is meant to be a badass so the easiest way to show a villain is powerful is to have them beat up on Worf, but the problem is it happens so often that it just makes him look so bad to the point where he probably should have been replaced by someone else :P

The head of security for the flagship of the entire fleet just getting casually tossed across the room will never not be funny.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Anytime someone decides to throw out their power moves, but they don't even consider them to be strong. "Consecutive normal punches" comes to mind.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
When characters that are usually hanging out with people of their own power-class have to deal with normal people.

Or basically the downtime episodes of Dragonball.

Gohan playing sports is a good example. He's just so far off the normal standard that he has to hold back massively and it's hilarious.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Biting swords in half.
SphericalGrandFruitfly-max-1mb.gif

I think Luffy does stuff like this too but I can't find the panels right now.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
In superman returns, a bad guy shoots superman in the eyeball and superman just smiles it off

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Can't beat the "he takes away something regular and you notice he was on a handicap all this time" cliche
oldie but goodie

gHQ6BBr.gif

with the most classic example being of course

yHxmDPa.gif

i think the "world of cardboard" speech kinda fits it here.

When someone powers up and small bits of rocks begin rising up from the ground. Bonus points if they start to orbit the powering up character.

7c37f99218a8743d3ea90a8630ce0018.gif
These two are my absolute favorite!! I love the version that's kind of a mix of the two, where the character does some innocuous action that breaks the area around them/makes a crater to signify they've "turned on". Best example I can think of is Steven Universe:

shes-gone-steven.gif

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
When they take their armour / clothes off because they were there to limit their power rather than protect them.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Using some weird-ass
When characters that are usually hanging out with people of their own power-class have to deal with normal people.

Or basically the downtime episodes of Dragonball.

Gohan playing sports is a good example. He's just so far off the normal standard that he has to hold back massively and it's hilarious.

The best Dragonball example:
ScentedScornfulIchneumonfly-max-1mb.gif

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I just finished Enies Lobby last night and the answer is basically anything in One Piece.

I do really enjoy when the heroes are faced with an army in the thousands of regular grunts, and I get to watch them casually carve their way to where they need to go while the screen shows hundreds of bodies flying in every direction.

One Piece would be a good Dynasty Warriors game.

Edit: and I just found out the series I thought was a fighting game is actually that. Time to drop some cash

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is more for intelligence feats but when one character figures out that another character has been manipulating everything from the beginning and they give that evil smug smile. Gives me chills:
latest

Oct 26, 2017
When a character explains just how fucked their opponent is while demolishing them

tumblr_mm4a9cqgj61rvm5qqo2_r3_1280.jpg
tumblr_mm4a9cqgj61rvm5qqo3_r3_1280.jpg
6E6dsrM.jpg

Shame the art is so bad because this is a GOAT Quicksilver moment.