• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Physical strategy guides are definitely a dying breed, and, as far as I know, the only two prominent companies still in the business at this point are FuturePress and Piggyback (which, thankfully, are also arguably the two best). Physical guides becoming obsolete in the age of the internet was always inevitable, but it still makes me sad to see them go. There's always a special nostalgic feeling I get thinking about having a handy physical guide by my side for my favorite games in the past. Whether I just used them for when I was stuck, or for help with completionist objectives, or for full walkthroughs.

So what were your favorite and most memorable guides from the past? Which are/were your favorite companies that made guides? What in your opinion were the most well put-together guides?

Here are some of my favorites:

Nintendo Power's Banjo-Kazooie Guide: Nintendo Power were probably the most consistently reliable guides - purchasing them meant that you were always assured the information inside was fully accurate and complete. The highlight of them were always the maps - almost always the best quality for any particular game, with easy to digest structures that highlight key points without getting too bogged down in text dumps. The Banjo-Kazooie guide from them was a great example of all of their strengths - a clear, concise breakdown of everything you need to know about the game, excellent maps that laid out all the collectibles, and advice for every Jiggy and boss fight. There was nothing particularly standout about it from other NP guides, but I just always think back to this one when I remember their guides.

Versus Book's Majora's Mask Guide: Versus Books was a more low-key guide company, and, from what I remember, I don't think they were around for too long, but they did make some excellent guides. Their MM guide in particular was an excellent resource of everything in the game, and was a god-send for my childhood self playing it for the first time and trying to navigate the convoluted time system in the game. As a bonus, the guide had a lot of comical commentary of the game, which added a lot of personality to it.

Prima's Skyrim Guide: Prima is probably the most well-known guidebook company, and the quality of their guides was probably the most varied of them all, with some being noticeably not-so-good and others being huge efforts that you can tell a whole bunch of time and passion went into. The Skyrim guide falls into that latter category. The dictionary-sized guide has every single thing that exists in that massive game within it - it's pretty much an encyclopedia of the game. That sometimes makes it hard to quickly find the exact info you need, but I can't help but admire the amount of effort that went into putting together this thing.

Piggyback's Breath of the Wild Guide: Just an all-around amazing quality guide. Their structure of laying out information reminds me a lot of Nintendo Power with their maps and highlighting of key points, and everything, from the text, to the section structure, flows extremely well that you can easily utilize it in any way you want for the huge game it covers - either as a quick reference for when you're stuck, as a guide for collecting every Korok seed in the game, a compendium for all the resource types/materials in the game, or as a full-on walkthrough of every step of the game. I have both the hardcover original version and the hardcover expanded version that covers all the DLC, and I love just looking at and browsing through them from time-to-time.

FuturePress's Bloodborne Guide: FuturePress I feel is the only company ever equipped to cover Soulsbourne games. They do their absolute hardest to make the brutal games less daunting, and do a damn good job at it. Not much else to say other than I make it a priority to get their guide for every From Software game that they make.

So what are some of your favorites? And just for fun, you can share some of the....not so good guides you've experienced as well. I know someone is going to mention that infamous Final Fantasy IX guide at some point haha.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best strategy guide ever.
51B2JN1WZ0L._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Fun fact about the Prima guide for Def Jam: Fight for NY was that it gave bios to all of the jobbers in the game, so if you ever wanted to find out that Meca was a poser or that Santos killed someone in the ring, that was your source.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Phantasy Star II hint book was nice because it came with the game (although I bought it used without it) in a pre-internet guide era.
s-l400.jpg

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

It really is.

And if you want to know why, search BESTGUIDE01 at playonline.com for all the details!

Real talk...

My favorite is probably Earthbound, followed by Mother 3 (the unofficial one). I love that they feel like destination guides for the areas versus game guides.

OP
OP
Common Knowledge

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really is.

And if you want to know why, search BESTGUIDE01 at playonline.com for all the details!

Real talk...

My favorite is probably Earthbound, followed by Mother 3 (the unofficial one). I love that they feel like destination guides for the areas versus game guides.

I actually have been trying to get a hold of the Earthbound guide, and, um, holy crap is that guide worth a lot today.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Earthbound's guide was amazing, and the love the unofficial mother 3 one got was aces.

I will also add the arc the lad 1&2 guide by working designs. Their last guide and it was amazing

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The Prima X-Wing and TIE Fighter guides; basically novels with mission walkthroughs (written in the first person, no less) scattered throughout.

TIE-Fighter-Guide-4-Story.jpg
TIE-Fighter-Guide-6-Mission-Flavor-Text.jpg

Runner's up goes to the Morrowind Prophesies guide that was published by Bethesda, written with an eccentric wit and covers nearly every nook and cranny of the game.

mDz1PXe.png

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I read that sucker before going to bed so many times. This guide made me buy an official guide for every FF afterwards, until they weren't a thing anymore with FF15.
414TG61KXXL._SX354_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Fallout 3 was one of the few I ever bought.

s-l400.jpg

Not just handy, but also had a giant separate fold out map of the wasteland/subway tunnels and the pages were pretty, matching the aesthetic of the retro-futurism. And of course:

8gAeoS0GKukfrUsbPunid9xaA33qdSqORlBtOShH8oo.jpg

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
The Prima X-Wing and TIE Fighter guides; basically novels with mission walkthroughs (written in the first person, no less) scattered throughout.

TIE-Fighter-Guide-4-Story.jpg
TIE-Fighter-Guide-6-Mission-Flavor-Text.jpg

Runner's up goes to the Morrowind Prophesies guide that was published by Bethesda, written with an eccentric wit and covers nearly every nook and cranny of the game.

mDz1PXe.png
Holy shit, I love these.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I've owned two strategy guides ever, for two of my favorite games. FF XII and The Witcher 3.

Loved the FF XII one, spent a lot of time flicking through it. Seem to have lost it during a move at some stage.

The Witcher 3 guide was such a disappointment, really nice hardcover but the paper was hilariously low grade, really took away from it.

OP
OP
Common Knowledge

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Prima box collection of all their 3D Zelda's hardcover guides. They look pretty nice and it's cool to have them considering they're worth quite a bit now.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Big fan of the Future Press souls Strategy guides. They're great reference tomes with quality maps, art and interviews with the developers. The dark souls 3 guide was done by prima and you can see the difference in quality between that guide and future press ones. Lots of mistakes with the maps and item placements and whatnot. Then again, I mainly get them for collection purposes so...

441PcrN.jpg

stn

Oct 28, 2017
There's a HUGE guide to Morrowind which covers every single quest and everything else. Also, the Ultra Street Fighter 4 guide by Prima is awesome, as it actually tells you how to play each character at each range. Those are probably my favorite.

OP
OP
Common Knowledge

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Dan Birlew was the author of quite a few other Brady Games guides from what I remember, and they were all pretty decent. I can't help but wonder what the heck kind of deal was made for this guide between Brady Games and PlayOnline and how frustrated he was knowing that the guide he was writing was going to be complete crap.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
There's a HUGE guide to Morrowind which covers every single quest and everything else. Also, the Ultra Street Fighter 4 guide by Prima is awesome, as it actually tells you how to play each character at each range. Those are probably my favorite.
I love the Morrowind Guide, it had so much good damn information.

shout out to the Myst guide that was basically written like a novel, too

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read that sucker before going to bed so many times. This guide made me buy an official guide for every FF afterwards, until they weren't a thing anymore with FF15.
This is the one for me as well. They did such a great job with making it easy to read while also getting pretty technical with end game stuff.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't usually buy strategy guides at all, but one came out that I needed to have: Street Fighter Anniversary Collection.

The guide had tons of info from the games and plenty of classic artwork. Not to mention the full frame data from SFIII:3S. This was a very useful thing to have because that data wasn't commonly available in the US prior.

In addition, it came with the 3rd Strike soundtrack. I'm going to be honest and admit that was the real reason I bought it...

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
This 1,120-page behemoth:

91WTuq%2BvEwL.jpg

You never realize just how big a game Skyrim is until you look through this no-stone-unturned guidebook that comprehensively details everything and everyone in it, including its three expansions. It's not that long for shock and awe, either: the print is actually fairly small, and most pages are dense with information. The sheer number of maps in this thing is nuts, including the gigantic poster that ships with it.

I got mine back in 2013 mostly as a collector's item, but I keep going back to it every now and then to look things up, especially for my Switch playthrough where my memory of the game has gotten rusty in places. But even where it hasn't, the guide will often reveal something small in a dungeon that I've always passed by.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Always liked the early pokemon ones, that Sugimori art *chef kiss*

I think it was the Prima guide but I could be wrong, but the Zelda OOT one was awesome. Came with that dope poster of Link and Shiek fending off Stalfos and Lizafos.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Owned the Versus Books strategy guide for Ocarina of Time well before I owned the actual game as a kid (parents bought me the guide at least 6 mo before the game to tide me over before I eventually got the game as a gift). I poured over every detail, map, piece of key art, etc. By the time I actually got the game it was really easy for me because I had basically committed the strategy guide to memory lol.
large.gallery_24_140078.jpg.929f244925886d232dace57d72bc913e.jpg

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I liked Nintendo Power's Ocarina of Time guide, as the tips and walkthrough were mostly written like an epic tale and story with dramatic prose and all that good stuff. Sort of gimmicky, but I enjoyed it all the same.

MrFreeze

Oct 13, 2019
This is my answer too, I loved Piggyback guides, I would always get the guide along with the most recent FF game. I especially got a lot of use out of the FFXII guide, without that I wouldn't be able to get the Zodiac Spear.

41kQzNmIrbL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Piggybacks final fantasy XV guide was literally perfect

it showed all activities that you could do and were possible at each chapter instead of just blasting the map with all information at once. Great strategies, and tons of information. Also support was bar to none.

I mean I had some smudging going on with the guide due to a bad print and they literally said just give that copy to a friend to use while enjoying the game and they sent me a whole new copy. It was like holy shit.....you can't beat that.

piggyback really sold me on the XV guide so much....whoever was the author on that one should just do every damn guide for RPGs

I'm not a huge prima fan, but whoever the author was for FFX did a pretty stellar job. Was easy to follow and use

Jan 4, 2018
Last week I actually just started replaying FFX and decided instead of using the internet to speed things up, it would be a fun nostalgia trip to finally use this as a companion for the first time after holding on to it for almost 20 years.
51YGxMQcc2L._SX359_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
51WQ6D5HJGL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Would've been completely lost as a kid playing Gold/Silver if it weren't for this

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Cross-Section Nice pick with the X-Wing/TIE Fighter guides.

The clue books Origin Systems did back in their golden era were just fantastic, written with lots of character to really fill out the worlds. Ultima VII was my favorite, it was written in the role of a travelling monk. It started off with a "travel guide" to the various cities. Then a review of dungeons and some of the game systems like weapons and trainers. Finally, the actual walk through was presented through questions and hints rather than a step 1, 2, 3. The hints were in characters of the Wisps who were vague and ethereal and the Time Lord who was more concrete with the specific steps you should take. It just really added to the world in a natural way and I loved how the hints made it possible to get through a difficult part without spoiling too much.

ZdjJlXd.png

24aSRBc.png

Review of Britain:
ORlRh7V.png

Walkthrough:
oYL9zUY.png

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
iv1dWR8.jpg

I have a pretty large collection mainly for RPGs but goddamn did I live and die by this guide at release.

My runner ups would be the Dragon Quest 8 guide, solely for the Alchemy section. Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy VIII (I would just look at the pictures in this one before I ever bought the game). And the original limited edition copy of the Final Fantasy XII(I have the Fran variant cover) and Kingdom Hearts 2 guides.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Working Design guides (Lunar 2 for instance) and Future Press ones are my favorite. I have many sealed. Also, have every FF guide released. FF9 guide was an atrocity lol.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017

The earthbound guide is so lovely. Each of the photographs are burned into my brain. I also love the Secret of Mana guide, the one written like a third person narrative. Really unprecedented for its time < 3

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Prima Myst guide had two sections: a role-playing one where the author gave a personality to the featureless protagonist, and simple quick solutions and explanations to puzzles.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2's official guide by Piggyback is incredible. I have one still sealed. Beautifully done, awesome art, and spoiler alert

The entire guide has pics from the third person prospective, until the epilogue(s) chapters where they chose to go first person to prevent those paging through to see the big character swap

BotW's official guide was also beautiful.

Loved this guide. Every car was listed, so fun.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The old Sonic 2 strategy guides were works of art. Just super super pretty while also letting you know how complex those maps really were.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The MGS3 and MGS4 Piggiback guides are brilliant. It has some really good analysis on the story and everything.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound had a really cool one with gross smelling scratch and sniff. I never could get the game iself to work on my european super nintendo... for some reason the conversion thingmajig didn't work with it unlike other usa games.

gutted I lost earthbound and strat guide in a move.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
The best strategy guide ever written. Not any of that "official" business where the guide is written by a PR division. This was the equivalent of a full-color GameFaq with pictures everywhere. I still have the poster.

u4e208e9j2qz.jpg

Second best by the same publisher. All the same pers, too. I still use this one for my BG2 plathroughs.

61M2M8T02QL._AC_UL600_SR462,600_.jpg

Versus Books publications are good to buy from Ebay for archival purposes. Quality reading material even if you never intend on playing the games.

RIP.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I can't help but wonder what the heck kind of deal was made for this guide between Brady Games and PlayOnline and how frustrated he was knowing that the guide he was writing was going to be complete crap.

IIRC, Sakaguchi or someone else high up the corporate ladder didn't want to have any official guides for IX for some reason. They rescinded that idea a couple weeks later (turns out guides are popular and good adverts for your games!) but I think part of that was a compromise where the guides wouldn't spoil everything so you had to hit PO to get some of the information.

This was probably also a test run for what they originally wanted to do with X where the tech demo shows the user connecting to PO in game to get information about the current zone, etc.