• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 16, 2017
C2ASF_5VEAAajUS.jpg

Oh my god, Harry! Look what they did to Hagrid!

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Star Fox has really great models for a very tiny poly budget.

The artists knew they had to make every triangle count and the game doesn't feel dated compared to PS1/n64 era models.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
This thread constantly reassures me how great some games can still really look in the early 3D era. In fact, makes me wanna check out ones I've missed including Brave Fencer Musashi :)

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
As someone who has not played Megaman Legends, I've gotta say, those models look fantastic and I wish to play Megaman Legends now.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
That head crab scientist model is from the Blue-Shift HD model pack. This is what the original game model looks like:

ITd5cjc.jpg

The original 1998 models:
JCjhC4i.jpg

2001 Blue Shift HD model pack:
gG5HglG.jpg

The HD models were originally designed for the Dreamcast version of Half-Life 1, But that version was cancelled and these models (updated even further) were released with the Blue-Shift expansion pack for the PC. The "HD" models are the default for the current version of HL1 on Steam, but there is an option to swap back to the originals. Gotta love how Barney looks like an old man in the original models. They are clunky, but I do like them.
Ah, thank you! I knew that skull texture was missing from the headcrab. I honestly like the originals much much more anyway. Way more iconic.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Ah, thank you! I knew that skull texture was missing from the headcrab. I honestly like the originals much much more anyway. Way more iconic.

I agree. I prefer the original headcrab zombie models as well. The textures on the original model may be lower resolution, but I think they were better made. Especially all the gore details and even the human skull protruding through the head crab. I think a lot of the original creature and weapon models look better overall. The few things I do like are the security guard and scientist models.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
latest

Compared to a large number of PS2 games, GTA3's character models really stood up to me as having low polygons.

RZetko

Oct 27, 2017

I'd say that Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 have pretty much perfect low poly characters. Every character is wonderfully animated, very expressive and really special. I loved both LBA 1 and 2 as a kid and they didn't age one day when I replayed them few years ago (someone might say that tank controls are bad but I had absolutely no issue with them).

latest

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I prefer the original headcrab zombie models as well. The textures on the original model may be lower resolution, but I think they were better made. Especially all the gore details and even the human skull protruding through the head crab. I think a lot of the original creature and weapon models look better overall. The few things I do like are the security guard and scientist models.
I think it's interesting in retrospect how Opposing Force/Blue Shift clearly came with early early notes on what HL2 was going to look like (genetic-engineer slaver enemies doing a secondary invasion and not being on particularly friendly terms with the Xen civilians, advanced forms of headcrab zombie deformation, key characters from Black Mesa making their escape) but absolutely no correspondence in terms of art design (the transformation of the broken ribs into a sort of mouth on the OpFor/Blue Shift headcrab zombies seems like it was completely Gearbox's idea, and obviously 'Race X' and the Combine look nothing alike).

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I think it's interesting in retrospect how Opposing Force/Blue Shift clearly came with early early notes on what HL2 was going to look like (genetic-engineer slaver enemies doing a secondary invasion and not being on particularly friendly terms with the Xen civilians, advanced forms of headcrab zombie deformation, key characters from Black Mesa making their escape) but absolutely no correspondence in terms of art design (the transformation of the broken ribs into a sort of mouth on the OpFor/Blue Shift headcrab zombies seems like it was completely Gearbox's idea, and obviously 'Race X' and the Combine look nothing alike).

Marc Laidiaw did say somewhere that he had no input on "Race X" at all, he said it was completely GearBox's idea and he didn't know where they would even fit in with the HL2 cannon. I think the person at GearBox that came up with Race X said that they were a race from a completely different dimension. Which is weird, because you never see them again. I kinda look at Opposing Force as being "off canon", but I still enjoy the expansion anyway. Blue Shift was always a bit "meh" to me. It was originally designed to be an exclusive expansion for the Dreamcast (just like how Decay was exclusive to the PS2 version of HL1), so I never really expected much out of it. But I remember buying the stand alone expansion for the PC just for the HD models. The boxed version I bought also came with Opposing Force as well (even though I already owned it).

And yeah the redesigned headcrab zombies felt like it was influenced by John Carpenters The Thing:

The-Thing-Arm-Bite.jpg

Last edited:

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The model in question.
1467707432198910760.jpg

The face is so iconic that it actually got referenced in later Remedy games.
giphy.gif

and even Max Payne 3's multiplayer mode brought it back, same face and all.
ss_cdb2c259e1ae3e20338e5ad0715d931466d10832.jpg

Yeah, I love the Sam Lake Max Payne 1 model:

maxpayne_2017_09_09_02_41_37_57_by_mister_k81-dbmx4t8.png

It looks great for a 2001 PC game.

The Timothy Gibbs model for Max Payne 2 looked great as well:

testapp_2017_09_11_11_54_33_48_by_mister_k81-dbnujta.png

And Max Payne 2 was only released two years after in 2003.

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you brought this up! I really liked Flamedramon and Imperialdramon DM in Digimon World 2.

Flamedramon-Right.jpg

I-dramon-Right.jpg
I literally just beat Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory via remote play =]

those digimon in DM2 were unique, because you could only obtain them through DNA digivolving. they also made Raidramon the ultimate version, digivolving from Flamedramon and then proceeding to digivolve to Imperialdramon

latest

Iceman2343

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, why did his look change so much in later games?

I think a New Nightmare Carnby was a different person "given" the same name. In regards to the Xbox 360/PS3 version, I have no idea why he looks the way he does, as he is supposed to be the same Carnby from the original games.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I think a New Nightmare Carnby was a different person "given" the same name. In regards to the Xbox 360/PS3 version, I have no idea why he looks the way he does, as he is supposed to be the same Carnby from the original games.
A background legend was made in order to explain the sudden change in Edward Carnby in Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. It is said that he belonged to a lineage of Shadow Hunters who were born the 29th of February in every 40 years and raised as orphan children in St. George's Orphanage, all of them going by the name of Edward Carnby. The name is depicted as a literal anglicized form of "El War Qarn'bi", which means "the one who battles evil incarnate and hunts out the shadows". According to this legend, the original Edward Carnby was born in 1888 and went out of record after engaging several uncommon affairs in the years 1920 to 1939. The Edward Carnby in Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare was born in 1968.

I also remember reading something about the one in the reboot being possessed after he disappeared years after the events of AitD3, which affected his aging, but I'm not sure if that's actually true,

[EDIT]
Wikipedia claims that:
The 2008 Alone in the Dark reinterpreted once again the series storyline. It follows the canon of the first three games, and ignores the events of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. The story takes place in Central Park, New York, both inside the park and in its surroundings. Taking place in 2008, the game claims that there has only ever been one Edward Carnby, who has been possessed since the late 1920s, and is now over 100 years old, though he retains a youthful appearance.