• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a possibility if I ever get my new PC fully functional.

Oof, I know that pain. Still paying mine off. :(
Get it back, and get me on this project cuz I am totally buying the look it has.😩👍

OT: Enjoy a coule of Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor screens

maxresdefault.jpg

20161021163800-d83a8.jpg

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
The Nintendo 64 are great! I love them so much.
I unintentionally modelled a 3D character that would perfectly fit this era ahahaha Not gonna show unfortunally, because it's going to be a easter egg gag on the game i'm making :)

The game is not actually out yet, but my fav low poly model is the Tunic Fox, so simple and so compelling <3

O9uuBzJl.jpg

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I love all the character models in Dragon Ball Origins.

This opening is like black magic. I was working with DS development when this game came out, I remember showing it at the office and everyone getting amazed, some people even thought it was pre-rendered.

One fun thing about the DS hardware is that it can't output 3D graphics on both screens at the same time, so for that opening they are likely cutting the framerate in half and alternating rendering between both screens somehow. Also, streaming these models and music on the very limited 4MB RAM is insane.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
589d007bb5aadb4992239945dcb6c701.gif

The latter is unfortunately a cleaned up emulator shot (the former might be as well, but looks identical to the PS1 hardware).

latest

Edit: Oh I didn't realize this thread was so old. I've probably posted in here. Fuck it.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
at some point, Andrei Mishanin is cheating. and yes, I'm bringing this thread back from the grave

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
at some point, Andrei Mishanin is cheating. and yes, I'm bringing this thread back from the grave

Definitely considering those models have over 7x the polygons of the original crash model and are on a level comparable to Gamecube fighting game models in polygon count.

Last edited:

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like MGS1, Vagrant Story's models aren't easily separated from their extremely effective and economical texture work, but the result does allow for a lot of detail under very strict limitations.

vagrant_off1.jpg

The Harpy is probably my favourite individual enemy design from the game - it's a simple, sort of goofy design that works really well in context; managing to become oddly unsettling due to the way it's framed and its abilities. The mixture is slightly reminiscent of Kaneko's SMT demons.
harpy.gif

Vagrant Story is what came to my mind as well! I really do like the look of that game even today

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely considering those models have over 7x the polygons of the original crash model and are on a level comparable to Gamecube fighting game models in polygon count.
at some point a line has to be drawn at what constitutes as "low poly". a model that's on part with 20 year old games are probably getting to the point of the limit while still being in it, IMO

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Childhood is thinking that Unagi the Eel is uncomfortable because it's scary
Youth is thinking that Unagi the Eel is uncomfortable because it's a bad render that is poorly-done and looks uncanny
Adulthood is thinking that Unagi the Eel is uncomfortable because it is actually a very effective render of genuine subterranean horrors
The ascent into nirvana is realizing that Unagi is uncomfortable because it's scary

Nov 20, 2017
I really hope indie developers start embracing this style as they have the 16 bit era

Anodyne 2 is the most recent game to imp this style correctly. Still gotta play that