• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
They packed a ton of personality into this dude back in the day.

26d681bd3f7ced9f669780e7695327f0.gif

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Weltall-Id, from Xenogears:
Weltall-id2.jpg

It's lower poly than it seems, it's just very well textured. I mean, look at his hands, they're like 8 polys each. :D

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The Arwing still holds a special place in my heart. It makes the angular, low-poly look work.

nqJwpGZ.gif

eij4Gj7.gif

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IV DS was like taking all the lessons they've learned from the 32-bit era and retransplanting them onto the 16-bit designs. The results are pretty nice.
latest

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
DFMf__iXkAIQY5H.jpg

The Amiga version of Grand Prix had amazing low poly models, even though it was very simple it was still instantly recognisable as a 1991 McLaren F1 car with Senna at the wheel.

katie_4.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

Sin & Punishment's models might have polygons sticking out all over, but they endure close-ups better than most of their contemporaries because half their texture detail was used on their faces.

SHQzrSJ.png
iPSf1al.png

Their matchstick figure bodies would be an issue if those characters spent the entire game standing around like stiff JRPG puppets, instead they sidestep that issue thanks to dynamic and highly-readable poses.

They've done some seriously cool stuff with just a handful of polys.

tpOM2Ub.gif
0xhwtyX.gif

[...]
I acutally love them also per se, the texture work is great and the low-poly modeling just looks incredibly appealing to me. [...]
Is that Racing Lagoon? Love me some low poly cityscapes, though my thread didn't get much play.
Sin and Punishment and Racing Lagoon (& PassiveObserver's thread) are looking pretty neat.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Low poly art is great, especially when combined with low-res, pixel-art-like textures. I hope more people gain an appreciation for it soon.

Black Rock Shooter (PSP):
a3vZeTB.jpg
YzhNXcF.jpg

KhA13mS.png
rtoMDB8.png

The Idolmaster SP (PSP):
rdIa9nD.png
onWRWvS.png

And even The Idolmaster Dearly Stars (DS), once you get past the DS's ridiculously low resolution:
GC95Dmv.png

CmftXVv.png

FO389Yt.png

No but seriously those Mega Man models are amazing.
What is this?
Lpq5m00.jpg

mFeTnVx.jpg

I wish I had the chance to play this
I legitimately believe that the PSP Project Diva games look way, way better than those on every later system. They absolutely nailed the faces, the colours, the textures -- all of it looks so much more appealing than the plastic-doll-esque look that the later games would go on to adopt.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every single model in Megaman Legends.

Mega-Man-Legends-2-psn-header-image.png

megaman-legends-0024.jpg

megaman-legends-0036.jpg

Megaman Legends is low poly models at their best.

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Those low ploy bystanders and birds in Marvel's Spider-Man always crack me up. 🕊

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Two top-of-mind mentions from 1995 that haven´t aged particularly well but which impressed me back in the day:

-Top Gun: Fire at Will´s F-14 Tomcat (PC version)

maxresdefault.jpg

-Bioforge´s main character

maxresdefault.jpg

As obsolete as they look now, they were light years beyond what I had been playing until then on my old Mega Drive.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately believe that the PSP Project Diva games look way, way better than those on every later system. They absolutely nailed the faces, the colours, the textures -- all of it looks so much more appealing than the plastic-doll-esque look that the later games would go on to adopt.

I think the F series still looks pretty good, but Arcade/Future Tone definitely look awful. But yeah, the PSP ones probably look the best out of the bunch.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I haven't really played the game and it's definitely not my intention to shit on it. This is genuine curiosity. But given the fact that (as far as I know) backgrounds are all prerendered, aren't they a tad too low poly? Compared to sth like MGS, for instance. Or is it just the art style they were going for?
It was partly the limitation at the time if you look at FFVIII and IX they too had prerendered backgrounds but the poly models are way beyond those in VII especially IX