• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love the idea of games that are comfortable & cozy "living worlds."

Animal Crossing is the pinnacle of the genre - a game you can turn on and putz around in to unwind. It is almost like an aquarium, where it exists and you spectate while playing within it.

I unfortunately have not been able to play a lot of RDR2 yet, but it strikes me as a similar style of world. One that has enough activity around your character, that lazily exploring the world feels like a viable way to enjoy the game.

Over the years, I've tried a lot of MMOs to satiate this, but I find that everyone jumps around like a bunch of assholes and zips to and from fast travel points. Funny enough - introducing real people into the mix makes it feel more synthetic and abstract.

So what else out there fits the bill for an easy to play world? I've heard people suggest things like Sims 3 or Crusader Kings 2 but have not tried them yet. Any suggestions would be great!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe slightly stretching the playing within part, but City Skylines. Play on 1x and watch your city slowly grow and sprawl out over time. Follow the everyday life of a specific NPC if you so choose. Reroute your poop pipes into the reservoir and watch the hearses clog up the streets, creating a traffic cascade where emergency vehicles cannot travel to fires. Nice, wholesome fun.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I love Zelda games for this kind of just relaxing and enjoying the games' world.
Ocarina of Time for years I only ever got as far as the Forest Temple, partly because the music freaked me out as a kid, but mainly because I just liked doing as many side quests and exloration stuff there was to do.
Same with Wind Waker, BOTW, and Majora's Mask (although MM is less cozy and more freaky).
I never like to finish them because I just enjoy their worlds so much!

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion there is no game better than Red Dead Redemption II for this

From the small towns to Saint Denise and everybody going about their lives, to the wilderness and animal AI and hunting mechanics. Rockstar is unparalleled.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2. When I think about that game the main thing I think of is me just strolling through the world living. It wasn't about missions, sure the story was great but for me the experience itself, the fact it put you into the olden days like that and it felt so realistic was damn near untouchable.

Also part of the game's world was created by studying Arkansas's landscape (according to the credits) so when I see that in a game I can relate to it more given a lot of the world I can see driving around.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of games that are comfortable & cozy "living worlds."

Animal Crossing is the pinnacle of the genre - a game you can turn on and putz around in to unwind. It is almost like an aquarium, where it exists and you spectate while playing within it.

I unfortunately have not been able to play a lot of RDR2 yet, but it strikes me as a similar style of world. One that has enough activity around your character, that lazily exploring the world feels like a viable way to enjoy the game.
Resting in an inn, walking down to the store for some morning coffee, greeting some people on the street, maybe getting the paper...before starting a mission...that's the life in RDR2

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
RDR2 is the one game where I spent hours just soaking in the world. Not starting any shit, just interacting with npcs and the world as if I was just another regular npc.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the Yakuza series at the moment, and yeah I'd say those definitely fit the description in the OP

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 was insane. I played for 60 hours or so and it still felt like I was running into new random events and animals sometimes. Not to mention the NPC dialogue / interaction system really helped flesh everything out. That game felt so alive.

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
STALKER, hands down. The feeling of a world that exists with or without you; the wanderers, the battles that were and will be...rich and heavy atmosphere. It might not be as visually dynamic as some of these big budget Rockstar efforts, but it rarely feels like the clockwork internals of other titles.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
RDR2. When I think about that game the main thing I think of is me just strolling through the world living. It wasn't about missions, sure the story was great but for me the experience itself, the fact it put you into the olden days like that and it felt so realistic was damn near untouchable.

Also part of the game's world was created by studying Arkansas's landscape (according to the credits) so when I see that in a game I can relate to it more given a lot of the world I can see driving around.
RDR2 is good enough at this that the game feels better if you do stuff like walk while you're in towns because it feels wrong the jog around for no reason.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
The first Shenmue blew me away. Just being immersed in this little Japanese town was a cool way to experience a different culture.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
When I think of "living world games," I tend to think of games where NPCs have actual schedules and lives. They follow paths throughout the game whether you're there to observe it or not.

The Hitman series is definitely a good example of that type of game. Majora's Mask is probably the pinnacle.

In terms of your definition, in which the player can simply roam around without any real fears of failure, pretty much any walking-simulator would work. ABZU, in particular, is a really good one (even though it's not 'walking').

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
If we're talking about current stuff I'm playing it'd be AC:O, Hitman 2, RDR2 and GTAV. All exemplary in that aspect.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is good enough at this that the game feels better if you do stuff like walk while you're in towns because it feels wrong the jog around for no reason.
Yep you're 100% right. Unlike most games I actually enjoyed the simple things such as walking around town and even small stuff like riding to a particular point just to get a certain view. There wasn't any point in time when I played that game that I didn't feel like I was truly in that world.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Definitely not a peaceful game, but it nails the living world part. best parts of that game are just wandering the wilderness and watching the various mutants interact, occasionally with some stalker AIs tossed in the mix.

Some of the best weather effects to go along with that, too.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
My favorite, most accessible living world would be Animal Crossing for sure.

However, I was able to play Seaman on my Nvidia Shield a few years back, built-in mic and all. Checking in on him, making sure the water was right and listening to him talk about random shit or telling me to fuck off was comforting. Sega did an amazing job making you think you're actually conversing with this aquarium creature who actually recognizes a lot of words. It was pretty sad but about the right time when he became a frog or whatever and said good bye.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Asheron's Call was like this. Story/seasonal events changed the world, sometimes permanently.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone was actually really good at this, althought not great or rdr2 tier. I'd love to see what a way bigger team with a bigger budget could do next gen for 2. People don't like the slow start, but I love how you just feel like you are playing through this true post apocalypse oregon. The world building is great right from the start and it makes it feel big.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
STALKER, hands down. The feeling of a world that exists with or without you; the wanderers, the battles that were and will be...rich and heavy atmosphere. It might not be as visually dynamic as some of these big budget Rockstar efforts, but it rarely feels like the clockwork internals of other titles.

Came to post this

STALKER still hasn't been beat in atmosphere and world engagement almost 15 years later

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
STALKER still hasnt been topped. To this day.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna echo the S.T.A.L.K.E.R mentions in this thread. Initially my mind was on TW3, since it's a wonderful game to do some casual exploring in, but nothing quite beats the Zone in terms of AI interactivity and immersiveness.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Just watching some mods of RDR2 where you can play as the animals, and each animal is so well animated, it's like a main character.

RDR2 by far. I'd say my time exploring the land i
is more than playing the game's missions.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead 2... apart from the "gamey" aspects like the emergent events that just happen when people pop into the world. Let's hope the next gen SSD tech stops this in future games.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I been going back and playing Saints Row 3 and GTA 4 lately. And what stuck out for me was how empty saints row 3 is. Just not many NPCs around. And in GTA IV it's a lack of unique NPC happenings. Lack of Interaction with the world. Just a sea of nameless random NPCs with no direction.

So for me it's Watchdogs 2. The stupid little hacking connects u to the world. It just builds a narrative and helps immersion for me. Like oh this guy outside this house must live here. And here is another person just 40 ft from them with same last name. So obviously they are family and live here too.

And lots of believable NPCs working...playing...doing what they do

Also AC Origins. It's feels very much like a busy market in a desert area u see in movie. And the ppl seem to all have purpose and places to go and live

Aug 13, 2019
I spent 20 minutes in RDR2 just walking down the street saying hello to all of the NPC and they'd say hello back. It was great.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
In my opinion there is no game better than Red Dead Redemption II for this

From the small towns to Saint Denise and everybody going about their lives, to the wilderness and animal AI and hunting mechanics. Rockstar is unparalleled.
Dragon Quest Builders 2 also nails the community aspect. Just seeing the AI live their daily routine with structures you and the npcs have built together. Warms the heart.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Since we're talking about cosy and comfortable worlds, I'm going to cheat and say some VR games which would naturally be more cosy than the games mentioned in this thread so far. Moss, Astro Bot, and VRChat. The first two are incredibly relaxing worlds to just take in, and in VRChat there are endless worlds to relax in with friends.

I haven't fallen asleep yet, but I know plenty of people sleep in these worlds with the headset and there's a whole category of sleep maps designed around that.

The tavern in Asgard's Wrath feels pretty lived in as well.

Last edited:

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
So for me it's Watchdogs 2. The stupid little hacking connects u to the world. It just builds a narrative and helps immersion for me. Like oh this guy outside this house must live here. And here is another person just 40 ft from them with same last name. So obviously they are family and live here too.

And lots of believable NPCs working...playing...doing what they do
Watch_Dogs 2 was going to be my answer. I love driving/walking around San Francisco in that game because of alive the city feels.

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man, just swinging through the city, observing from the top of the tallest buildings, then going down to ground level and watching pedestrians and vehicles obey the traffic signals. Then a rat comes out looking for some pizza. Good times.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Rdr2 is unmatched. Ridiculous production values.

Every open world game needs hair and beard growth after rdr2.

Apr 30, 2019
I just made a similar post in another thread, but Titanfalls world feels incredibly alive. You can follow a squad of marines and they'll tactically move around the entire map getting into skirmishes with other ai enemies and frantically scrambling into buildings as titans come stomping through. It's so much fun to watch a squad just to see how long they can survive, or to role play along with them as they fight their way through the map. I saw one squad get entirely wiped out by a titan except one marine who made it inside a building. He took cover in there for awhile, called for backup saying his whole team is dead and then went on his way when they replied there was no one available. He saw another squad a little later and actually joined up with them and started following them around. There are tons of ai on each map all playing their individual roles like this and it makes you feel like you're immersed in an actual space battle like no other shooter even comes close.