• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
We all know the big guitar solos from powerhouse bands and guitarists, but what are some of your favorite solos that aren't as well known? I'm gonna do my mandatory shilling for Orphaned Land which is my favorite band and don't get as nearly as enough recognition as they deserve

This is from their song called The Warrior, from the album ORWarriOR

I'll just add Yossi Sassi is fucking amazing and he has done some good stuff since he left the band.
He plays a ton of string instruments and he's amazing on each one I've heard him play

Studio version

Share yours!

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Erm...so this song is popular but no one ever talks about the guitar solo on Your Kiss Is On My List by Daryl Hall &John Oates.

It's not something that burns your face off. Super breezy and nice and I just like it, okay?

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like pretty much anything Elliot Easton played on Cars tracks. Very melodic, underrated soloing.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
There's a pretty basic low key solo on Dead To Fall's last album that is one of my favorites. It's not too technical, it's not particularly impressive, but as a part of the song, I've always loved it.

Around 2:50 onward

chuey

Oct 28, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Tom Morello's solo with Bruce Springsteen on "The Ghost of Tom Joad". Amazing. 5:45 is where it begins.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
No bullshit the first thing that came to mind upon reading the thread title was, "Orphaned Land is really underappreciated in this area"

In particular Mabool for me but there are some good ones on ORWarriOR for sure

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
First thing that came to mind is Kiko Loureiro. In looking up this clip, I had no idea he recently joined Megadeath. Glad he's getting some exposure.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Cirith Ungol is one of those 80s bands that should be up there with the greats but was largely ignores because of how many bands came out at the time.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Not as lesser known, but one of my absolute favorites as well: the jazzy breakdown in BTBAM Selkies

Or a similar one in Ants of the Sky. It feels like such a wonderful warm hug with that rich guitar sound.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the simple side of things, Weezers "Say it ain't so" solo is one of my favourites.

Maybe it's because its one of my favourite songs.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't say I *like* like it, but part of me certainly does appreciate the guitar solo at around 4:30

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
It begins as a very whimsical song, but the solo in "Fiddler on the Green" by Demons and Wizards just fucking rules.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
First thing that came to mind is Kiko Loureiro. In looking up this clip, I had no idea he recently joined Megadeath. Glad he's getting some exposure.

Love his work, and also didn't realize he joined Megadeath until recently. I got to meet him when I saw Angra a few years ago.

Not particularly a favorite, but one that I always enjoyed was Kamelot's Descent of the Archangel in which Luca Turilli (Rhapsody) does a guest solo @ 2:40. The two times I've seen Kamelot live, they replaced the guitar solo with keyboards.

Mar 30, 2018
I wouldn't call it lesser known, but the solo from Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" is edited out half the time I hear it on the radio, so some may not even know it has a solo. It always pisses me off since it is such a badass solo, but you only know it is omitted more than halfway through the song!

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO

Opeth - Wreath

The solo that starts around the 5:08 mark. One of the sickest solos I have ever heard. Fits the song perfectly. I fucking miss Lindgren era Opeth sooo much

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Orphaned land is incredible and thankfully selkies was already mentioned, and though very well known in metal but not otherwise I would say the solo in Death and the Healing by wintersun is one of my all time favorites. I also have a soft spot for in flames' December Flower.

www.youtube.com

Wintersun - Wintersun/05 - Death And The Healing

Song: Death And The HealingAlbum: Wintersun - Wintersun
Solo starts @ 3:43 but you really should listen to the whole dang thing

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ojVeDn7Z1w
solo starts @ 1:25 and the rest of the song is pretty monotonous otherwise but still enjoyable

Last edited:

Awake

Jan 27, 2019

Starts at 4:16

Some great choices here.

Kiko's solo on Megadeth - Conquer or Die is fantastic too.

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
Solo starts at 2:33

Tim Skold's work on this album is very good and under appreciated. My favorite Manson album.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Everything on this album, no joke.

220px-CacophonySpeedMetalSymphony.jpg

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Dir En Grey - Different Sense
Song is for the most of the time brutal metal song but that solo at 1:50 is in my opinion absolutely beautiful
NSFW video

Leprous - Forced Entry
Fantastic modern progmetal song and the whole solo that starts at 5:30 is great but the best part is definitely that one that starts at 6:32

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Steve Hackett's solos in classic Genesis. Dude was so great at establishing tone and atmsophere in most songs, he wasn't a lead player due to Tony Banks' keyboards. But man, when he was put up front for a solo/lead, he blew me away. Listen to Firth of Fifth's guitar solo. Or any of the little solos in Supper's Ready.

I love Steve Hackett's guitar.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Hello, good souls. I am here to stan Wishbone Ash.

A good solo should have a story to tell, a great one engauge in oratory. Now, when they're integrated into the composition as a fireworks show, or a call-and-response conversation, or a lamentation, now that's really really saying something.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly obscure, but Crossroads final guitar duel.

Worth watching the whole thing, but the Karate Kid moment comes at about 3:35

www.youtube.com

Steve Vai vs Ralph Macchio Epic Guitar Battle

Steve Vai Guitar duel on CrossroadsWatch full movie: Crossroads (1986)https://amzn.to/2XbfKqgRalph Macchio is Lightning Boy. A kid who can make a slide guita...

SPOILERS FOR OLD ASS RALPH MACCHIO MOVIE

Ralph's guitar mentor sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads. Ralph was learning classical guitar, and was naturally amazing at it, but really wanted to play blues. Ralph ends up playing against the actual Devil's apprentice guitarist in a duel for the old man's fate.

Both solos are played by Steve Vai - who also acts as the evil apprentice.

ralph gets MANGLED by supernatural evil guitarist, but then realizes his trickbag is his classical training and he mashes everything up into a face melter that still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

halcyjon

Mar 22, 2018
Ireland
Piles - Prom Song
The solo at 3:25 is phenomenal. Simple yet expressive as hell.
www.youtube.com

PILE - "Prom Song" from the album 'Dripping'

"Prom Song" is the lead single from PILE off their new album 'Dripping' out now on Exploding in Sound Records. Buy the album here: http://pile.bandcamp.com/a...

Kirin J Callinan - S.A.D.
Love this psycho, one of my favorite guitarists which a lot of people don't take notice of due to most of his music being comedic. Solo at 2:08.
www.youtube.com

Kirin J Callinan - S. A. D. (Official Video)

Buy, Download or Stream Kirin J Callinan S.A.D. taken from the album Bravado https://KirinJCallinan.lnk.to/ArtistPageSubscribe to the official Kirin J. Calli...

Rina Sawayama - 10-20-30
This dude Clarence Clarity wrote, produced and played guitar on this track. Immensely underrated dude. The tone, riff and solo are fantastic
www.youtube.com

Rina Sawayama - 10-20-40 (Official Audio)

Rina Sawayama - "10-20-40" off the critically acclaimed debut mini album, RINA.Download/Stream "RINA": https://rinasawayama.lnk.to/RINAWatch i-D Meets: https...