• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have spent waaaaaay too much time on the internet so sadly I know about most consoles these days.

But man, the first time I heard anyone say FM Towns Marty I just fucking lost it. How can that be the actual name of a console?!?!

1920px-FM-Towns-Marty-Console-Set.jpg

these things exploded in price. I bought one around 2012 for about $200. Today, they're like $700+ on ebay.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even back in the Atari VCS/Intellivision era, I didn't know anyone with a Bally Professional Arcade/Astrovision Astrocade. Despite the relatively small library, it some impressive stuff for its time.
bally-alley.jpg

Artillery-Duel0002.png
Astro-Battle0000.png

Galaxian.png
Incredible-Wizard-003.png

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I didn't even know the NEO GEO home console existed until I listened to GiantBomb regularly. Even then, I realized it was something only privileged rich enthusiasts would own. The idea of arcade-perfect ports was something I only associated with my Saturn and Dreamcast, but the insanity that Jeff Gerstmann explained as using the exact same software as the Arcades themselves for the "home" system is still unfathomable to me.

Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.png

I didn't even know it existed because I just didn't know anyone rich enough that could have one. And that's growing up in an upper-middle-class suburban area with arcades that had NEO GEO cabinets there!
I remember a well off friend of mine bought this the year it came out with all games. Going from the arcade down the block to his apartment and playing the same game was awesome... also using the memory card to continue games between arcade & home was surreal.

We used to practice the games in his apartment till we would dominate, then go show off in the arcades with our mad skills lol.

Different times.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
220px-Tandy-12_electronic-toy.jpg

The Tandy Arcade. The graphics are a little pixelated with the 4p resolution but it is in colour and it has a generous 12 games built in. It's portable, so you can play it on the go, on rooftops with your friends, or whilst on the toilet.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The HyperScan is something I kinda wish I kept lol. Got it as a birthday gift when I was younger and just thought it was a fun thing but eventually fell away from it as kids do. It didn't cross my mind how weird it was that you needed Cards to scan in to play games/unlock characters but looking back at it now this was just an early loot box but as a whole console.

It was released in 2006 by Mattel and only ever had 5 official games. It was discontinued in 2007.

841197-hyperscan.jpg

hyperscan_contents.jpg

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I saw this console on an article in a local magazine that said that the hardware was put together figuratively with duck tape and bubblegum in a short time. Was this true?

It's just an Amstrad CPC 6128 Plus without the floppy port. Many of the systems listed in this topic are actually just 80's european or japanese micro computers crammed into video game console shells.

Here's another one:

C64GS-Console-Set.jpg

A commodore 64 that could only play the cartridge games.

Yet another:

post-66943-0-02714800-1545941162_thumb.jpeg

This is basically an atari 800XL in a console shaped box (although, unlike the Amstrad GX4000 or Commodore 64gs, this could pretty easily work as a full Atari 8-bit)

That said, the GX4000 is probably the most hastily thrown together of these kinds of consoles. There are several games that outright still include their keyboard title screens, with impossible to access options. Like, the title will say "Press 3 for sound effects/music", and that option is still in the game, but you can't toggle it because there is no keyboard and thus no 3 key.

The C64GS is similarly hastily put together, although it has slightly more of an excuse because some of the games released for it were meant only for the normal C64, despite their box advertising. Like, Terminator 2 on the 64gs is advertised as being "64 gs compatible" but it's unplayable on the system for the same reason listed above -- no keyboard, and thus no ability to press 1 to start the game.

Last edited:

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
RDI Halcyon:

www.videogameconsolelibrary.com

Home Page

Detailed information, history, pictures and reviews of the classic, new and obscure video gaming consoles.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDI Halcyon:

www.videogameconsolelibrary.com

Home Page

Detailed information, history, pictures and reviews of the classic, new and obscure video gaming consoles.

lmfao the demo

the guy in the suit seems legitimately depressed when he's like "...they gave you some information."

"Well, to the conventional definition of AI, artificial intelligence, it'd be fair to say this doesn't actually satisfy that, wouldn't that be fair to say?"

*GLARES AT HOST*

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
68283--bandai-wonderswan-color.png

Probably the WonderSwan Color.
One day as a kid I walked into my local videogames store and the guy showed me this.
It blew my mind that there were still consoles / handhelds that I didn't even know about.

Ah yes, the Wonderswan. I still have my non-color OG unit around somewhere. Honestly was a pretty great-looking and controlling device, but just had nothing to play after I finished digimon on it.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just an Amstrad CPC 6128 Plus without the floppy port. Many of the systems listed in this topic are actually just 80's european or japanese micro computers crammed into video game console shells.

Here's another one:

C64GS-Console-Set.jpg

A commodore 64 that could only play the cartridge games.

Yet another:

post-66943-0-02714800-1545941162_thumb.jpeg

This is basically an atari 800XL in a console shaped box (although, unlike the Amstrad GX4000 or Commodore 64gs, this could pretty easily work as a full Atari 8-bit)

That said, the GX4000 is probably the most hastily thrown together of these kinds of consoles. There are several games that outright still include their keyboard title screens, with impossible to access options. Like, the title will say "Press 3 for sound effects/music", and that option is still in the game, but you can't toggle it because there is no keyboard and thus no 3 key.00

The C64GS is similarly hastily put together, although it has slightly more of an excuse because some of the games released for it were meant only for the normal C64, despite their box advertising. Like, Terminator 2 on the 64gs is advertised as being "64 gs compatible" but it's unplayable on the system for the same reason listed above -- no keyboard, and thus no ability to press 1 to start the game.
The XEGS has a great library of games compatible with it but it was a really bad idea to release the system to compete with the 7800 and the 2600 Jr., not to mention Nintendo and Sega. It's kind of weird how the light gun isn't compatible with the SMS and vice versa. Both guns feel similar and use the same style port.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
VM Labs Nuon, the DVD player that also acted like a games console (instead of a games console that also acted as a DVD player, which was all the rage back in 2000). They tend to break easily and the controllers cost a fortune due to their rarity.

Notably had some decent exclusive games, such as Tempest 3000 and the best version of Iron Soldier 3. Coincidentally both sequals to Atari Jaguar games.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I remember a well off friend of mine bought this the year it came out with all games. Going from the arcade down the block to his apartment and playing the same game was awesome... also using the memory card to continue games between arcade & home was surreal.

We used to practice the games in his apartment till we would dominate, then go show off in the arcades with our mad skills lol.

Different times.

Hilarious enough, you still sort have to have a lot of money if you want to collect a Neo-Geo AES in current times (if not even more so than when it first came out). Hence the nick name the "Millionaire's console lol. As far as consoles I didn't really know about, not being from the UK and all stuff like the zedex spectrum was fascinating to me, still is to this day! It's a super neat design and what not.

1024px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
PSTV. It's a cheaper, non-portable PSVita. It came out while I was working in an electronics section for a retail store and I even remember stocking the thing. Took zero interest in what it was and nobody ever bought it or asked about it, so I had no clue what it was. Wasn't until I wanted to play PG4 without borrowing my friends Vita that I learned about it. Instant buy.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
It wasn't until sometime in the 2000's when I discovered the mighty Vectrex.

2319895188_578a869b60_o.0.jpg

Owned one for a while, including 3D glasses. Really interesting piece of equipment.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I never knew about NES until I watched AVGN episode in 2008 on internet, and what I played when I was young back then was actually a bootleg/clone console, including the games. I believe it was called Micro Genius console and I played the 'tapes' that contain 99999 games in 1

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Even in a topic about "unknown consoles" people don't know about my favorite handheld ever, the GP32:

gp32.jpg

The GP32 was vastly, vaaaaastly ahead of its time. The very first instance of digital distribution I ever had was with this thing -- I bought both GPlayer (the movie player) and Pinball Dreams through their online store and downloaded them to the memory card. It was also my very first MP3 player, releasing roughly the same time as the ipod (with the added bonus that it worked with windows computers, unlike the first gen ipod at release).

I remember watching movies on my GP32 in between classes in college.

You could also connect it to the dreamcast.

I know about the Game Park. I remember one time I was looking forward to it's successor the GP2X, It eventually diverged in something called the Caanoo.

There was a clone variant of it called the Dingoo which disappointingly only ended up being little more than a emulator handheld running under a linux based OS, instead of focusing on original software.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I think the Wondermega (a combined Sega Mega Drive and Sega Mega-CD unit created by Victor) is the coolest looking console ever. It looks like a device from a cyberpunk movie.

25a4f808e12e34704f2ce0cc90c69f85.jpg

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
A whole five years before the gameboy. I would've loved one of these I'm sure but not many games came out for the thing really.
Epoch_System2.jpg

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the Wondermega (a combined Sega Mega Drive and Sega Mega-CD unit created by Victor) is the coolest looking console ever. It looks like a device from a cyberpunk movie.

25a4f808e12e34704f2ce0cc90c69f85.jpg
I never saw this model in person but I remember the Western version (JVC X'Eye) in stores and seeing a TV commercial.

A whole five years before the gameboy. I would've loved one of these I'm sure but not many games came out for the thing really.
Epoch_System2.jpg
There's one of these at store near me (as of a few months ago at least) but they only have one game for it. I have played all its games emulated, though.

And man, this thread brings back memories of looking all over my local Koreatown for a GP32.

Last edited:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
zodiac1.jpeg

The Tapwave Zodiac. This thing was super cool. The Zodiac was a Palm-based, gaming-focused PDA that used SD cards as its storage medium. It also functioned as an MP3 player, an e-Reader, a media viewer, and an electronic organizer complete with calendar, memo pad, and date book. And, surprisingly, it did all of these things pretty darn well. There's a video at that link.

I had one of these, and it was AMAZING. I read ebooks on it, and it had some pretty great emulators on it. (I think I beat FF6 on it.)
I've honestly thought about tracking one down just to have in my collection.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
It isn't the most obscure, but I have been absolutely fascinated by the 3DO since hearing about it a few years ago.

57a88c6cce38f237008b5481

Explicitly looking for a console I didn't know about prior to this thread though: The View-Master Interactive Vision. Literally what even is this console's design. It's also a VHS based system.

300px-ViewMaster-Interactive-Vision-wController-L.jpg

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
That said, the GX4000 is probably the most hastily thrown together of these kinds of consoles. There are several games that outright still include their keyboard title screens, with impossible to access options. Like, the title will say "Press 3 for sound effects/music", and that option is still in the game, but you can't toggle it because there is no keyboard and thus no 3 key.

Thanks for the insight! So the hastily designed part was true after all. I can't believe how they oversaw the keyboard fault on the games (I'm not sure if the programmers or Amstrad themselves were to blame there), and going by your wording it sounds like there was no way to plug a keyboard on that thing.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Different times.
Wow.

I think the system was like 800-900 in the 90s and the games were all several hundred dollars. Your friend was rolling.

I have play Neo Geo cabs but honestly most of my experience with the system has been with emulation. Only played the home system twice, once in Electronics Boutique (and I think they had to kick me out) and once with some random kid whose house we went to for dinner as a family. I didn't like him but I had to suck up to him to get a chance to play it. It was pretty mind blowing at the time.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I just remembered this thing:

Game-Wave-Console-Set-FL.jpg

The GameWave! Sad attempt to cash in on that Wii hype.

I actually got one for free, but didn't have a single game for it so I gave it away.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Even in a topic about "unknown consoles" people don't know about my favorite handheld ever, the GP32:

gp32.jpg

The GP32 was vastly, vaaaaastly ahead of its time. The very first instance of digital distribution I ever had was with this thing -- I bought both GPlayer (the movie player) and Pinball Dreams through their online store and downloaded them to the memory card. It was also my very first MP3 player, releasing roughly the same time as the ipod (with the added bonus that it worked with windows computers, unlike the first gen ipod at release).

I just found my one last week after going in the attic for stuff. Awesome little machine, useless on sunny days though lol

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
zodiac1.jpeg

The Tapwave Zodiac. This thing was super cool. The Zodiac was a Palm-based, gaming-focused PDA that used SD cards as its storage medium. It also functioned as an MP3 player, an e-Reader, a media viewer, and an electronic organizer complete with calendar, memo pad, and date book. And, surprisingly, it did all of these things pretty darn well. There's a video at that link.

Also used as scanners on Stargate Atlantis.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone remember when Apple and Bandai made a console together?

bEkgCETahNZPPcEM6xj9xb-768-80.jpg
I keep forgetting the Pippin even existed lol

gp32.jpg

GP32 was my dream console back in 2002-2003, but due to me being a teenager in a non-western country at the beginning of the Internet democratization, I could never have one :( still I read about every piece of news about it, its games and homebrew. I remember wanting to play Astonishia Story R so bad. I finally did on PSP and it was shite lol
Wish I bought a BLU one, it's now expensive AF.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew about NES until I watched AVGN episode in 2008 on internet, and what I played when I was young back then was actually a bootleg/clone console, including the games. I believe it was called Micro Genius console and I played the 'tapes' that contain 99999 games in 1

The guy who didn't know the Dreamcast existed is something, but this... what. Guessing you're not from a western country?

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
The guy who didn't know the Dreamcast existed is something, but this... what. Guessing you're not from a western country?

Yeah, I'm not from Western. Also have to mention that I did not know about Famicom (Japanese NES) too. So, AVGN series pretty much introduced me that popular era of NES/Famicom system that I was supposed to play back then, instead of bootlegs.
It's interesting to know its existence, but also a bit regret that I did not play the real Nintendo version when I was young.

However, I played the first real Nintendo's console; a Gameboy in 1995 because that thing sold on stores and very easy to see it displayed, but strangely no NES/Famicom on sights.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Another console I'm pretty surprised that many gamers have never heard of is Fairchild Channel F.
fairchild-channel-console-box-games_1_1b5fd1ebef3db83929253308718b075b.jpg

In terms of impact on the video game industry, the Fairchild Channel F was the first game console to have interchangeable software. Despite that, it's relatively unknown by a lot of gamers in favor of more subsequent and more popular consoles like the Atari 2600.