• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019

The brazilian console Zeebo. (Actually from California?)

*Slaps top* This baby can run Resident Evil 4

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I don't know if it counts as a "console", but I recently found out there's a Mortal Kombat Tiger Electronics Game with Fatalities and everything.

Even more surprising, there's an emulator for it:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Dreamcast. I largely grew up with the 6th gen, by the end of it having a GCN, Xbox, and PS2 thinking I had everything. I didn't find out about the DC until like 2014. Felt crazy that I had somehow missed one of them, especially since I had played a lot of Sonic then on GCN.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I think you won your own thread OP. That zeebo thing is just wild and RE4 looks so janky on it. Definitely an obscure product of it's time.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
There was a portable snk console I think (?) referenced in hi score girl that I didn't know existed

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
There's tons of beautiful clone consoles that play another manufacturer's software, but if we're just talking devices that have unique software: the Watara Supervision is pretty neat.
2aeb29a73aa0bafa34a7305b4d969417.jpg

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
68283--bandai-wonderswan-color.png

Probably the WonderSwan Color.
One day as a kid I walked into my local videogames store and the guy showed me this.
It blew my mind that there were still consoles / handhelds that I didn't even know about.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The Coleco Telstar Arcade
hEnJw0K.jpg

Triangle shaped cartridges yo

Someone should repurpose this absurd design for a GTA game.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I don't know if this counts, I guess so. This is a Brazilian DVD player that have some NES games built in. I think I can say it was my first console, my favorite game was Ice Climber.
dvd-britnia-image-antigo-funcionando-2-joysticks-ok-D_NQ_NP_637194-MLB41121485802_032020-F.jpg

dvd-britnia-image-antigo-funcionando-2-joysticks-ok-D_NQ_NP_692309-MLB41121504337_032020-F.jpg

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't even know the NEO GEO home console existed until I listened to GiantBomb regularly. Even then, I realized it was something only privileged rich enthusiasts would own. The idea of arcade-perfect ports was something I only associated with my Saturn and Dreamcast, but the insanity that Jeff Gerstmann explained as using the exact same software as the Arcades themselves for the "home" system is still unfathomable to me.

Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.png

I didn't even know it existed because I just didn't know anyone rich enough that could have one. And that's growing up in an upper-middle-class suburban area with arcades that had NEO GEO cabinets there!

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
s-l1600.jpg

When I found this thing at my flea market, I was genuinely surprised, had no idea they made these.
And with my favorite 16-bit game on there, too.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast. I largely grew up with the 6th gen, by the end of it having a GCN, Xbox, and PS2 thinking I had everything. I didn't find out about the DC until like 2014. Felt crazy that I had somehow missed one of them, especially since I had played a lot of Sonic then on GCN.

I'm really surprised there are any multi-console owners who grew up in that era who only found out about the Dreamcast 16 years after it came out. That was about as high profile a bomb as it gets. I remember at the time the idea that Sega was gonna transition to only software development was really hard to imagine. Sonic on a Nintendo system? The end of Sega as a console manufacturer was a massive event. How did you escape comparisons to the Dreamcast when the Vita and the Wii U flopped? They were everywhere.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
68283--bandai-wonderswan-color.png

Probably the WonderSwan Color.
One day as a kid I walked into my local videogames store and the guy showed me this.
It blew my mind that there were still consoles / handhelds that I didn't even know about.

I was gonna say. The fact that it has a portable Guilty Gear (where I took my avatar from) is the cherry on the cake.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the WonderSwan (color, in particular) or Sega SG-1000.

WonderSwan has excellent games.
SG-1000 does not, but it somehow has some serious charm.
My uncle bought me a Shonen Jump when he went to japan and one of the ads was about the wonderswan and iirc a One Piece card game.
It was so crazy with so many buttons compared to the dpad, a and b (and start and select) from the color I had back then.

My uncle bought me a Shonen Jump when he went to japan and one of the ads was about the wonderswan and iirc a One Piece card game.
It was so crazy with so many buttons compared to the dpad, a and b (and start and select) from the color I had back then.

The vertical or horizontal orientation for games still feels wonderfully unique.

It was a dream for puzzle games (which happen to be mostly playable in English) and games like BeatMania used it well, too.

Then you have the diagonal screen orientation of Kerorican Rhyme Rider - a screen orientation that I don't believe has been done ever since.

Cool little handheld.

KyleMHilliard

Mar 9, 2020
Minnesota
I still remember reading about the Phillips CD-i and its affiliated Nintendo games in a gaming magazine in the early 2000s and could not believe it wasn't an April Fool's Day joke.

Oct 28, 2017
My dad's friend had a Turbografx 16 while I was growing growing up, and games like Bonks Adventure and JJ and Jeff and those game cards felt like a fever dream for years until I figured out what it actually was.

x7l7x0e3RsgvaPYS8iy9_4K5r1knykZttkBZzCnwoOdpzGo6sGw81ZUuSAT7MPNzLDbGb6XdVRMROU3N-N_WcuRhCtOauVfPrXxKu8aH20LHax3oAQRHBzxIPwOP0yrvMZqSdJvZKi71bvnVdraD

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm really surprised there are any multi-console owners who grew up in that era who only found out about the Dreamcast 16 years after it came out. That was about as high profile a bomb as it gets. I remember at the time the idea that Sega was gonna transition to only software development was really hard to imagine. Sonic on a Nintendo system? The end of Sega as a console manufacturer was a massive event. How did you escape comparisons to the Dreamcast when the Vita and the Wii U flopped? They were everywhere.

It was largely because of the Wii U that I found out about it because the comparisons were everywhere but I think I was late on even that because I only followed PS news back then.

Oct 25, 2017
These days it's much more well known, but back in the Gamecube era discovering that this existed blew my mind and I still to this day wish I had one
This Gamecube variant called the Panasonic Q

HqFIJFA.jpg

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
When I visited my family in India, my cousin was playing Nintendo games on a system called a "Little Master". I had no idea console knock offs existed until then lol.

EDIT: The flipside to this, is that I always get a "I don't know what that is" reaction, when I tell people I first gamed on a VIC-20 using tape casettes lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
My parents managed to keep the existence of a Super Nintendo secret from me until a while after it launched. We were living in a tiny ass Mississippi town before we moved to Illinois, and to my knowledge the NES was the only thing out there and I was nuts over it. We moved outside of Chicago (Highland Park) in 1991, and shortly after made the trek to Gurnee Mills which had recently opened and was mind-blowing at the time for 11-year-old me. We were walking around and I saw a display unit with the bright Super Nintendo logo over it and I asked my parents wtf a Super Nintendo was and they pretended like they had no idea either, but I could tell they were just shutting it down so I wouldn't be begging for one. This was all around September of '91, so it had barely launched at that time but I assume there was a pretty big marketing push prior to launch that I just completely missed out on.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even in a topic about "unknown consoles" people don't know about my favorite handheld ever, the GP32:

gp32.jpg

The GP32 was vastly, vaaaaastly ahead of its time. The very first instance of digital distribution I ever had was with this thing -- I bought both GPlayer (the movie player) and Pinball Dreams through their online store and downloaded them to the memory card. It was also my very first MP3 player, releasing roughly the same time as the ipod (with the added bonus that it worked with windows computers, unlike the first gen ipod at release).

I remember watching movies on my GP32 in between classes in college.

You could also connect it to the dreamcast.

Last edited:

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
It's not nearly as obscure as most posts, but the PSX existing kinda blew my mind at some point.
Not talking about PS1 here, it's a digital video recorder with a built in PS2. The design was also pretty fucking awesome.
It only ever came out in Japan btw.

Console_psx.jpg

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
The VictorMaxx Virtual Reality Stuntmaster.

victormaxx-virtual-reality-stuntmaster-for-sega-genesis.jpg

Now it's not a console but I remember seeing it in video game magazines in the early 90's, when VR was about to take over video games, technology, and the world - any day now. It was going to somehow take all your SNES and Genesis games and turn them into full VR games, with head tracking and 3D. Years later I read about how it actually "worked", what the screen was like, and how they expected it to be used, and the lunatic creator. It was ... a ride.

https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-...r-headset-was-apparently-created-by-a-lunatic. There's also a bunch of videos on YouTube.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
I also didn't really know DC existed until like 2010. Born in 96 and started playing games in like 2003.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this thread would be about stuff like the Casio Loopy or the Bandai Playdia

Instead it's, like, "Sega made consoles?!?" and I just feel old.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time I didn't know about the Gamecube, I only remembered Rogue Squadron 2 when I first saw it but I never put 2 and 2 together. Silly me! I finally got a Gamecube in 2005 and had a blast with the purple box of awesomness!

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's not nearly as obscure as most posts, but the PSX existing kinda blew my mind at some point.
Not talking about PS1 here, it's a digital video recorder with a built in PS2. The design was also pretty fucking awesome.
It only ever came out in Japan btw.

Console_psx.jpg
Yeah, there were some wild hybrid entertainment console things out there.

Another was the Pioneer LaserActive. It could play laser disc, cd, karaoke discs, and you could get modules for Genisis/Megadrive and TurboGrafix-16/PC-Engine games (including cd-roms). And it was all region free.

Pioneer-LaserActive-Set-FL.jpg

en.m.wikipedia.org

LaserActive - Wikipedia

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
s-l1600.jpg

When I found this thing at my flea market, I was genuinely surprised, had no idea they made these.
And with my favorite 16-bit game on there, too.
I have that one! The same company released a Genesis compilation mini console and a Tetris console too.

EIMcrUm.jpg

The Genesis compilation one includes Sonic, Kid Chameleon, Ghost'n Goblins, Eco The Dolphin and one about... birds, maybe? I remember playing a lot of G'nG and Tetris on these as a kid.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
zodiac1.jpeg

The Tapwave Zodiac. This thing was super cool. The Zodiac was a Palm-based, gaming-focused PDA that used SD cards as its storage medium. It also functioned as an MP3 player, an e-Reader, a media viewer, and an electronic organizer complete with calendar, memo pad, and date book. And, surprisingly, it did all of these things pretty darn well. There's a video at that link.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Acorn Archimedes is a neat computer for games.
www.resetera.com

Acorn Archimedes Appreciation Thread

If you didn’t grow up in the UK then chances are you haven’t seen one of these computers in real life. It was overshadowed by other systems like the Commodore Amiga and IBM PC, and didn’t have a huge number of good exclusive games, but it has enough cool stuff to intrigue me. Various models...

starfighter.jpg
ixion.png

last-ninja.gif
technodream.jpg

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
Yeah, there were some wild hybrid entertainment console things out there.

Another was the Pioneer LaserActive. It could play laser disc, cd, karaoke discs, and you could get modules for Genisis/Megadrive and TurboGrafix-16/PC-Engine games (including cd-roms). And it was all region free.

Pioneer-LaserActive-Set-FL.jpg

en.m.wikipedia.org

LaserActive - Wikipedia

The thing that always blow my mind about the LaserActive the most was that the thing had ~31 exclusive megadrive/genesis pc-engine/turbografix laserdisc games. The existence of Sega MegaLD games is even crazier than the ~six SegaCD+32X games.

The efforts people are going through trying to dump those laserdisk games are impressive.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
jrS7nILV82oFhSKQ8W_QM8wUfqP0yckjqFHUxfnkPk9dyqErdB7P_jmWRNL-vCs7vzXerMsYSU9ANGJdUJGnCnJSZ5TTWORXVHw9n1UachWb0Q

The Commodore CDTV.

65f70414595525.562867209cd9d.png

Basically an Amiga 500 in console form. You could connect a 3.5" floppy drive and use it as a regular Amiga 500 if you also bought the trackball attachment which had 2 regular Amiga/Mega Drive controller ports. But other than an Amiga 500 with a memory expansion with it's 1024KB of memory, they only shipped this with 1000KB of memory. Causing many games that required the memory expansion to crash constantly (I'm looking at you The Secret of Monkey Island).

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
zodiac1.jpeg

The Tapwave Zodiac. This thing was super cool. The Zodiac was a Palm-based, gaming-focused PDA that used SD cards as its storage medium. It also functioned as an MP3 player, an e-Reader, a media viewer, and an electronic organizer complete with calendar, memo pad, and date book. And, surprisingly, it did all of these things pretty darn well. There's a video at that link.

I had one of these as well, it shared the same homebrew scene as the GP32. This was the "upgrade" for those in the GP32 scene, although it never had quite as many users as the GP32 (lol, isn't that crazy?)

Those scenes are the genesis of the modern chinese cheap android console scene today. I only have 1 game for my zodiac: Doom 2. Shortly after I got it, they released the freeware Doom engine for the GP32, making it a redundant purchase lol.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jrS7nILV82oFhSKQ8W_QM8wUfqP0yckjqFHUxfnkPk9dyqErdB7P_jmWRNL-vCs7vzXerMsYSU9ANGJdUJGnCnJSZ5TTWORXVHw9n1UachWb0Q

The Commodore CDTV.

65f70414595525.562867209cd9d.png

Basically an Amiga 500 in console form. You could connect a 3.5° floppy drive and use it as a regular Amiga 500 if you also bought the trackball attachment which had 2 regular Amiga/Mega Drive controller ports. But other than an Amiga 500 with a memory expansion with it's 1024KB of memory, they only shipped this with 1000KB of memory. Causing many games that required the memory expansion to crash constantly (I'm looking at you The Secret of Monkey Island).

I nearly bought one of these back in november at a computer liquidation sale. I had talked to the owner at the place about picking it up, he wanted $100 for it. When I showed up, someone else had walked away with it an hour before I arrived. Wound up getting an Amiga 1000 instead.

EHGuM83WwAAl2N0

If we're talking Amiga stuff, how about the SX-1 upgrade for the CD32:

DuxbKB1VAAAt0om.jpg:large

I cannot believe how much CD32 stuff has shot up in price since the AVGN did that episode. Used to be you couldn't give this shit away. Now I see completed auctions on ebay for CD32s by themselves for like $600.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I have spent waaaaaay too much time on the internet so sadly I know about most consoles these days.

But man, the first time I heard anyone say FM Towns Marty I just fucking lost it. How can that be the actual name of a console?!?!

1920px-FM-Towns-Marty-Console-Set.jpg