• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love 2D platformers, and have played them on a variety of systems over the years.

I'm trying to remember which controllers I've preferred and I am really torn - which is your favorite & why?

Follow up - if you had to use 1 PC-compatible controller for the genre, what would you use?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to use an iBuffalo SNES USB controller for my platformers. For any 2D platformers requiring a controller with more inputs I used the 8bitdo N30 pro which was... okay? A little too tiny for me. Wasn't a big fan of the size of the dpad and controller as a whole.

Ive since returned to being a console pleb and get most of my gaming done on the Switch. I use 8bitdo's SN30 Pro+, and adore it. Very comfortable, larger than the N30 pro, and Lordy Lordy what a dpad.

get an iBuffalo unless you need access to buttons a SNES controller can't provide, or if you want wireless. If you dont get the iBuffalo, opt for the SN30 Pro Plus.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the d-pad on the DS Lite and the Wiimote. The Wii U GamePad had a good d-pad too.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I just use Dualshock 4 for all platformers regardless of it being 2D or 3D.

(For PC gaming, PS4 and emulation).

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
keyboard.jpg

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I'm partial to the Hori PS4 Mini Wired controller. It's by far my favorite controller to use for precision platformers, while still remaining very usable as a general purpose pad (so you don't need to switch it out when playing a different game afterwards). It doesn't hurt that it's also cheap as dirt, so you can go ham on it and not feel guilty.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I modded a couple Dualshock 4 controllers to use a metal + shaped dpad with this kit. I like it a lot, it's much easier on the thumb.
I've tried other controllers like the Hori pads, but they fatigue my thumb pretty quick. Using this on a DS4, the dpad feels like the Xbox 360 transforming dpad, except actually good and accurate.
metall-magnet-utbytes-d-pad-set-spakar-abxy-bullet-buttons-ps4-ds4-controller.jpg

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The ds4 dpad hurt my hands so I started using the Pokken Hori controller with its huge dpad and buttons and ended up finishing Celeste on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Going to offer up the 8bitdo M30 controller right now. The 2.4ghz version has a bit lower input latency due to not having to go over Bluetooth, but they all feel great. Never grew up with a Sega console, but I have to say I really dig their take on the d-pad. Feels great and precise for platformers, but also feels fantastic for fighting games, arcade games, or anything that requires diagonal inputs.

Also wanted to mention RetroBit's Saturn controllers, as they are mostly fantastic. I don't love the feel of their shoulder buttons, but my experience with original Sega Saturn shoulder buttons isn't great either.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese Saturn controller or some of the revised ones that came later in Europe (d-pad wasn't that great on the early ones). Megadrive's 6 button controller and the PS Vita pad were also really good.

Today on PC I mostly use the Logitech F310 for 2D platformers. In some ways a terrible controller with poor analog sticks and stiff triggers, but I like how loose the D-pad is. It takes little effort to press it down. If the game in question relies a lot on triggers, I might switch to one of the newer Xbox One controllers with the revised D-pad, allthough I'm still not fully satisfied with it, because the diagonals require a little too much force to achieve.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I've been re-learning how to play games that I have deep muscle memory with on an arcade stick lately and that has been an interesting journey.

NES stuff like SMB and Castlevania was essentially no effort to adjust. Mainly due to the two buttons being easily translatable to piano style pointer and middle finger play. The biggest realization is how many NES games are actually incredibly picky about diagonal inputs since you can so specifically trigger it on a stick. Mario 1 for example essentially doesn't recognize it and can even block other inputs depending on the circumstances. I'm sure speedrunners know this stuff but was wild to find first hand.

Moving into 16-bit platformers can be a lot more of a challenge to try and figure out. Anything that requires you to use the L or R on an SNES pad while also using the face buttons independently is probably the most difficult. I keep going back to Super Metroid for this because the angle shots using a diagonal versus the shoulder buttons is a really good test set. Something like Sonic on the other hand is a breeze and feels totally natural and to little surprise the various Contra releases felt great.

I'm not recommending people do this, just seemed the best spot to stick my weird experience here. My NES to PS4 multistick if curious. Has been a fun trip.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I like the DualShock 4 among modern controllers because the dpad is in the primary position. It's the benefit of having the symmetrical layout. Much easier for my thumb to control a stick in that position than a dpad.

If we're talking about best controllers ever, then it's snes and vita for platformers and the Saturn pad for shooters and fighting games

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation Classic controller. Basically it's an updated PS1 digital controller. The dpad and matte finish feels a lot nicer than the original.

Get an 8bitdo mod kit to make it wireless.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The very late 3 button Mega Drive 2 controllers, they were "cheaper" revisions yet had fantastic D-Pads that had a satisfying solid click in each of the 8 directions while also being super smooth for making circle motions. The 6 button D-Pad was similar but a bit mushier. Honestly I find them even better than the Saturn one, it's just that losing 3 buttons means it isn't quite as universal, they're also harder to find since there are no solid markings to identify them.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
See my post a few above you. Glad I'm not alone! Curious to hear what you've tried or if you find some stuff more natural than others?

Almost all 2D games I've bought this gen that don't require the right analog stick I've played on arcade stick.

For example, I played through 90 percent of Celeste that way. I'm actually not even sure how good I'd be on pad. I didn't finish the last ten percent because I lost my save file and just never went back to do it over.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Going to offer up the 8bitdo M30 controller right now. The 2.4ghz version has a bit lower input latency due to not having to go over Bluetooth, but they all feel great. Never grew up with a Sega console, but I have to say I really dig their take on the d-pad. Feels great and precise for platformers, but also feels fantastic for fighting games, arcade games, or anything that requires diagonal inputs.

Also wanted to mention RetroBit's Saturn controllers, as they are mostly fantastic. I don't love the feel of their shoulder buttons, but my experience with original Sega Saturn shoulder buttons isn't great either.
entered the thread to say exactly this

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
8bitdo's M30 has the best d-pad they've made. Either that's my favorite controller for 2D games, or retro-bit's Genesis 6-button controllers.

To use on the PC? I think both of those are usable on PC, or at least the USB retro-bit controllers are and can switch between D-input and X-input modes. The M30 Bluetooth model has an X-input mode you can select before plugging it in on PC. I can't remember how it works for the 2.4 GHz model. You can plug it in, but I'm not sure if it's D-input only then.

I have a retro-bit USB Saturn pad too, I just prefer the Genesis 6-button shape over it.

I increasingly love to play 2D platformers with my arcade sticks.
Somehow... I played every NES game I owned back in the 80s and 90s with an NES Advantage.

I don't think I could do that now, especially since the joystick doesn't have microswitches. I mean, for the Ninja Turtles games it's fine, but for Zelda II and Super C? No thanks, lol.