• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The WiiU. It had a great library of first party games like Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
NEC-TurboDuo-Console-wController-L.jpg

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Wii U, but Dreamcast is the second best Sega system and Vita the best PlayStation , so they are big contenders as well.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vita due to it being, to be this day, the best dedicated to handheld console ever made. Perfect size, beefy specs, and just great ergonomics all the around (except for maybe the back touchpad).

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wii U, got my first job so it was my first console purchase. it was my first time playing a lot of First time nintendo games too since I could finally afford em. Introduced me to a lot of nintendo series I played like pikmin too ( which was free with mk8 ) xenoblade etc

Xenoblade C X was my botw moment for this gen. Dat open world

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Dreamcast. Had one of the most amazing libraries, especially considering it was such a short lifespan.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Dreamcast: The Thread. What a great little box after the dumpster fire that was the Saturn.
Gamecube is a close 2nd place for me. So weird and quirky. Glad it's library carried over into the Wii generation.

I don't consider the Vita a failure. I think it still is the best handheld ever made.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't have wanted it to succeed, but I have fond memories of the Virtual Boy. I loved the display, and being able to put full focus into games. There weren't many great games. But I enjoyed three or four that were decent. Tennis, Wario, Mario Clash. I remember spending a lot of time at a Toys R Us kiosk with my head pressed against the germ-infested face shield. Leaving with a ring around my eyes.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
It has to be Dreamcast for me. So many great games were had. Marathon Powerstone sessions with my nephew, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike with my friends, NFL 2k, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, the best version of Tony Hawk at the time, and the king of kings: Soul Calibur.

I still fire that bad boy up every so often, but it's disk drive is about to give up the ghost.

If most of the Wii U library wasn't ported to Switch, I might be inclined to give that an honorable mention.
Vita was good, but the BS memory card situation taints it for me.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wii U.

Such great games but that GamePad was such a letdown.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
The Vita. What an awesome machine. It introduced me to Persona, Danganronpa and the Hatsune Miku games. So many hours curled up in a chair with headphones on. Good times.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Vita and Dreamcast.

I rarely get consoles day one. Those two I did. I'm bad luck.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wii U just has the slightest edge over the Dreamcast for me. I love them both. But my enjoyment of Wii U in its prime was some of my fondest gaming memories.

Dreamcast was always really great too, but it was still fairly evenly matched by what else was available at the time. Every system that gen had incredible games, Dreamcast included.

But the Wii U, in all honesty, felt like it dominated my personal gaming time throughout its lifecycle, even though I had all of its contemporary competitors in my setup. And I know that's a very unpopular opinion. But I feel like it's a tremendously misunderstood console.

Wara Wara Plaza, MiiVerse, the touch screen, etc. They really were going for something unique with their online features that I appreciated. All the system really needed was a MMORPG or RTS to show off why the Gamepad was brilliant. Super Mario Maker and Splatoon got close though.

I still fire up my Wii U fairly regularly even though I have a Switch too. Many games just control better with the Wii remote or the Gamepad like Pikmin 3 or Captain Toad, respectively. It was able to do it all - pointer controls, touchscreen gaming, motion controls, traditional controls, it had its own social media network that was better than mainstream ones for a while, and fantastic 1st party software. Truly a jack of all trades when it came to input devices, but that's also, unfortunately, what diluted its message and concept to consumers.

I really do think that the Switch is a step backwards in so many ways, even though it's a step forward in total due to the portability and joycon versatility. It just can't give as many unique gaming experiences as the Wii U though. Wii U was the most dynamic console we ever got and was a truly worthy follow up to the Wii.

Such a shame that they never really figured out how to market it or launch it with a killer app that showed off the controller properly - Nintendo Land was an excellent minigame compilation, but what they really needed was something like Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, or an MMORPG at launch.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the Dreamcast. I remember having so many of the games and accessories and playing with friends all the time.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Trubo Grafx 16. I never actually had one, but I played a hell of a lot of it over at a friends place. I'm sure it's not that great in hindsight, but those huge sprites were always pretty amazing to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally this is a tie for me between Dreamcast, and the NeoGeo Pocket Color.

Both had short lifespans but packed a ton of quality games into the sliver of time they were active.

The Atari Lynx - came out at a time with almost no completion to the Game Boy (Game Gear was a year away), and showed up with color, backlighting, and even a mode for lefties.

There were some highly creative games on the system (Chips Challenge and Slime World), but it just didn't have the dev support that Nintendo did.

Kind of sucked as a portable, it took 6 AA batteries for just a few hours of battery life. The marketing was terrible and it didn't have many flashy system sellers to reel people in.

But I still have mine and I have very fond memories of playing it with friends.
I have my Lynx buried somewhere in my parents place I'm sure...California games was great on it. Slime world was also lots of fun. People in high school had no idea what it was when I would bring it in cause nobody bought one.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Vita probably, it's still a great piece of hardware and I still use it as Remote Play machine for PS4's indies and JRPGs.

But Sony treated it like hot potato once PS4 became the juggernaut.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still play Dreamcast. Beside its amazing catalogue of fighting games, I have a blast with Daytona, Ferrari 355 Challenge, Le Mans 24 and Crazy Taxis!

Also I think Saturn is not a failure, at least in Japan. It had a healthy life cicle overall

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Out of those, the Dreamcast probably. Didn't have much experience with the Vita but anytime I get to play a Dreamcast it's awesome.

Wii U is weird for me. Since most of its coolest software got ported to Switch it's felt kind of irrelevant. I don't care for Smash Wii U much at all in hindsight, and any of the other big exclusives that likely won't make it over are not much to write home about. The "handheld" mode of Wii U is muuuuch more comfortable than the handheld Switch though. GamePad was a beast, but it had a nice ergonomic design. And the D-pad is better.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wii U. It's better than the Switch in basically every way. You can play Switch away from a console unlike Wii U but 99% of my Switch playtime is on my living room couch anyway. Other than that, Wii U was superior.

I also loved Dreamcast. It felt unique and cool to the other consoles of that generation, and I really wish SEGA had kept it together.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Although it wasn't a standalone console, the Sega CD was really underrated in my opinion. Those Working Design Games like Lunar 1 & 2, Vay, and Popful Mail were amazing. Lots of good video game music came out of those CDs too (Sonic CD comes to mind).

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Dreamcast, hands down. I've only been truly amazed by new consoles at launch twice: the NES and the Dreamcast. Every other launch has been really nice improvements but nothing mind blowing (like 3D was revolutionary but looked really rough compared to 2D games at the time). Dreamcast was the first time it truly felt like playing arcade games at home.

On a side note, GameCube and Wii U absolutely count as flops. They didn't have the long term impact of other flops because Nintendo had the handheld side to bail them out. Any other manufacturer would have been devastated by those numbers. GameCube couldn't even beat the original Xbox, despite Microsoft launching for the first time in a crowded market, with lots of doubters, and having almost no presence in several major markets.

Returners

Oct 25, 2017
Never occurred to me that the Vita flopped. I guess coming from the PSP it could be considered so.

For me, Neo Geo Pocket. That machine had so much awesome games.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The Dreamcast, not even close.

The Vita and Wii U are cool, i love the consoles, but the thing is that i still need to play those systems more and I'm still collecting for them , so the Wii U i have it hooked and i play the Vita every time I can.

But the Dreamcast....when it died it was the system i was playing, almost every day. I was soo hooked with the console, I loved the games, the way they looked and played. I had an extensive library, and, in my mind, it was doing pretty well, that's why it was such a hit for me when Sega announced they were pulling the plug. First time experience for me and it was hurtful and sad.

Never had Sega CD/32X or Saturn or NeoGeo so i can't speak about those consoles.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
Does the Nomad count? The screen was garbage, and the battery life was hilariously bad, but that thing got my brother and me through so many family vacations and parts of road trips.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Vita was incredible. The form factor, comfort and library were all fantastic and graphically it ran rings around the 3DS. Persona 4, Metal Gear Solid HD, Dragons Crown, EDF all on the go. What a handheld