• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
probably gonna date and embarrass me a bit but honestly the virtual boy lmao. Wii U in a way, not because I liked it at all (it was fine, but the build quality was kind of eh imo), the games were great, but holy shit it's a great example of wasted potential. The gamepad and ways it could have been used for creative asynchronous local gameplay was just never really explored. Not even really by Nintendo.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Wii U easily. I had a Vita and it collected so much dust it's not even funny. Not a fan of RPGs or visual novels, so there was nothing on there for me. On the other hand, the Wii U had Smash which alone was enough to justify the purchase.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Bought all 3 the day they launched and I liked all 3.

Wii U - Had some great first party software and I still have more hours on it than I do my day 1 Switch.

Vita - The only handheld I have ever liked. I hate, HATE playing games on small screens so portable is not something I do, but the Vita was different, it just felt good and the screen popped. Too bad Sony hated it.

Dreamcast - The winner here for me. What an amazing ahead of its time console. It also had Soulcalibur which makes it win no matter what anyway.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I put so much time and effort into justifying my WiiU purchase and the damned thing was obsolete as soon as the Switch was announced, nevermind released. With the Saturn I at least got some expensive games out of the deal.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
k4w3MbH.jpg

Def this. Still have and love Dreamcast.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The Dreamcast and the Saturn both. As much as I liked the Saturn at the time, I actually have a whole lot more appreciation for it now thanks to playing more of the Japanese library and having more games get translations. The Dreamcast I loved more at the time of its release and it's just such a fun console to revisit even now.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the TG16/PCE counts as a "flop", as it did well in certain parts of the world and has a robust library of games, but that is one of my favorite consoles for sure.

As for pure flops... Once you get your hands on some of those Japanese games, the Saturn becomes an instant classic.

*edit*

Actually, I just checked out the numbers, it seems like the PCE (while selling well in Japan) wasn't able to boost the overall sales as much as I had thought. Moreover, the Saturn sold better than I expected. So, I guess they were both undeniably flops.

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast, for sure.

Vita is a very close second, but a few nagging issues (no thumb stick click, no real R2/L2) keep it from being my number one.

That OLED, tho... Gorgeous.

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
Another for Dreamcast. It was way ahead of its time.

Wii U doesn't feel as floppy to me because most of the notable games are on Switch now. If that makes any sense...

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I don't love any of the failed consoles, though the Vita is neat hardware. I think my actual answer for this is the Gameboy Micro if that counts.

Gamecube is easily my answer if that counts actually. Idk if it does.....it's pretty borderline.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
What do we consider a flop? The Dreamcast was an incredible machine for it's time. It was just overshadowed by the PS2 and mismanagement prior to it's arrival. I don't consider the Dreamcast a flop at all, unlike the Jaguar.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Excluding Wii U->Switch ports, Wii U still has a better library than Switch IMO. The console itself was hot garbage though. I don't know how that OS made it to retail.

I guess the Gamecube counts as a failure. There was an interview where Iwata said Nintendo couldn't remain in the hardware business with Gamecube-level hardware sales. So that's definitely up there.

Vita is kind of the opposite of Wii U. It has literally zero exclusives I care about and anything that's not exclusive I'd rather play on PC or a home console. I think I own a grand total of one Vita game that I didn't "replace" with a PC or PS4 version. But as far as hardware goes it's probably the best ever for a portable.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I don't consider the Gamecube, Wii U, or Vita to be flops. These were not systems that were dumped en masse by retailers, pulled off the market by their manufacturers, or put their companies out of the console business, or our of business entirely. Sure, they finished last in their generation, maybe even got lapped by their competition, but they finished their races. They sold millions of units, and many more millions of games.

Some of the real flops:

The 32X: put on fire sale in less than a year
The Atari 5200: discontinued by Atari in less than 2 years, in favor of the 7800
The Dreamcast: put Sega out of the console business
The 3DO: company formed, company failed (eventually)
The Jaguar: (arguably) put Atari out of business entirely

And I am leaving out the true flops, the many systems that died unnoticed, so poorly received that they're not even worth talking about.

Anyway, my answer is the Jaguar. When the Jag came out, I was thirsty as fuck for the next gen. I spent a lot of time with the Jaguar, and got a lot of enjoyment from it, even as I continued to thirst for the real next-gen systems. That entire period of the industry coming to grips with 3D rendering was a fascinating time to live through.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
This needs a poll but I would say Dreamcast. I love the ps vita but the Dreamcast had so many classics and so much promise unfulfilled by the time it died.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
The PlayStation 5.

But seriously, the Dreamcast and PlayStation Vita are the ones for me.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never had a Dreamcast. Was too young to have something else besides an N64 and GameBoy

Never had a Vita, but looking at the games, I would never call it that good. The selection of games is just meh or very VERY sepcific Japanese stuff.
Godd for those liking these games, but not really for me.

Have a Wii U on the other hand and it still got some very good 1st Party games and Indies.
So I would go with Wii U

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Vita and Wii U are like the inverse of each other

Vita was a great console but its library was lacking(unless you were into a couple of particular genres)
Wii U the console itslef was awful but it had an amzing library of games, so much so that it compromises a large part of the switchs library lol

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotta be the Dreamcast—I loved that thing. I bought one used from a friend for $50, and it was the only console I owned through my university years. SoulCalibur, Dead or Alive 2, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone 2, Ikaruga, Virtua Tennis... it was like having an arcade at home.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This needs a poll but I would say Dreamcast. I love the ps vita but the Dreamcast had so many classics and so much promise unfulfilled by the time it died.

The poll would say Dreamcast, followed closely by Vita. These two are revered around here. The Wii U would be distant 3rd. Everything else would be fractional.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Dreamcast by far. Just came out at the right time in my life that all my hype went into it. Loved it.

Vita was great too. Wish it had a successor even if it was low effort from Sony and basically an indie and streaming device.

Wii U was good too, had more fun with it than Switch. The gimmick was awesome when it worked like in Nintendoland but it didn't translate that well to most games.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
N-Gage or WiiU. N-Gage hate became a meme, but it was a crazy futuristic phone at the time and had some really cool games too. It was also the best way to play Symbian games like the mobile Prince of Persia or Splinter Cell games. It could emulate NES too! Not something my GBA could do back then.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's the Gamecube easily

Metroid Prime
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil Remake and 4

Those games above are simply amazing!! Also the Wavebird was an awesome controller

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sega Saturn. It's one of my favorite consoles of all time (if you include the Japanese library).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Dreamcast. That was the last big wow moment leap in gaming for me before the HD era, and really outside of the res bump DC still had me more impressed overall sans VR of course. Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble, Virtua Tennis, Ecco: Defender of the Future, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Soulcaliber, just so many great colorful games with by far the crispest IQ of any sub hd console to date.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Vita.
I still use it... :(
EDIT:
Let me add one thing. It flopped on a commercial side, but I found everything I wanted on terms of games... so I am just sad that probably we will never see a successor to it...
Anyway if Sony can bring on Android the catalogue of games (psnow app please) PSP/VITA etc... that would be ok for me.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Gamecube for sure. The fact that it has Phantasy Star Online Episode I&II makes this a serious contender for best console of all time...

Honorable mentions: Dreamcast and PS Vita.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Dreamcast. I wish Sega was still in the console industry so we could see what other innovative and forward-thinking consoles they could make.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
My hacked OLED Vita is one of my most treasured possessions. Such a fantastic emulation machine, but loaded with its own library of great titles too.