• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I saw this on a Vic Berger video and I'd never seen it before. I would be very hesitant to put my hair near anything that was spinning really fast. Plus you look ridiculous and your curls look like shit.

sardonicaridhog-size_g1ks5.gif

But what does the woman in the iron mask think about all of this?

crispdescriptivehoki-esk1m.gif

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't most of these products actually for people with disabilities, and they use commericals like this so they aren't embarrassed about buying it?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
That woman in the mask reminded me of Cinco products and that reminded me of the sleepwatching chair which is such a great bit that I'm just gonna post it here:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
One of the staples of my youth that has died off with time. Watching shitty infomercials at 2 am lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't most of these products actually for people with disabilities, and they use commericals like this so they aren't embarrassed about buying it?
I've heard that.

Although I have to assume there are also ginsu knife cases where people just realize that the product sucks and so they try to figure out a cheap, effective way of suckering people into buying them.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

www.bustle.com

As-Seen-On-TV Products Aren’t For “Lazy People” — They Make Disabled People’s Lives Easier

One of the very, very few issues with a late-night Netflix binge sesh is that you miss out on late-night TV infomercials. You know the kind: They usually feature delightfully retro music, egregious overacting, and products that you think couldn’t…

www.vox.com

Products mocked as "lazy" or "useless" are often important tools for people with disabilities

From banana slicers to sock sliders to pre-peeled oranges.

zM2Vl7J.png

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
www.bustle.com

As-Seen-On-TV Products Aren’t For “Lazy People” — They Make Disabled People’s Lives Easier

One of the very, very few issues with a late-night Netflix binge sesh is that you miss out on late-night TV infomercials. You know the kind: They usually feature delightfully retro music, egregious overacting, and products that you think couldn’t…

www.vox.com

Products mocked as "lazy" or "useless" are often important tools for people with disabilities

zM2Vl7J.png

I think the disconnect here is that you said these products are FOR people with disabilities, as in, designed and marketed with disabled people in mind.

Nobody is saying that people with disabilities can't make use of these products.

And it also doesn't negate the hilarity of infomercials presenting everyday activities as nearly impossible to accomplish for able bodied people.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I think the disconnect here is that you said these products are FOR people with disabilities, as in, designed and marketed with disabled people in mind.

Nobody is saying that people with disabilities can't make use of these products.

And it also doesn't negate the hilarity of infomercials presenting everyday activities as nearly impossible to accomplish for able bodied people.

I said they were not marketed directly at people with disabilities, so as they wouldn't feel embarrassed about buying them.

That's kind of the point.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I said they were not marketed directly at people with disabilities directly, so as they wouldn't feel embarrassed about buying them.

That's kind of the point.

I feel pretty confident that the vast majority weren't designed for people with disabilities either.

They are for the most part just inventions (often very innovative, sometimes pointless) that aren't revolutionary enough to go mainstream.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
www.bustle.com

www.vox.com

zM2Vl7J.png

The vast majority it of as seen on TV products aren't like these though.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I feel pretty confident that the vast majority weren't designed for people with disabilities either.

They are for the most part just inventions (often very innovative, sometimes pointless) that aren't revolutionary enough to go mainstream.

And even if they were developed with people with disabilities in mind. The point of advertising them they way they are in informercials is almost certainly not to make people with disabilities feel less embarrassed about buying them.

EDIT: In fact, if they were designed for people with disabilities to make their lives easier it would make infinitely more sense to market directly to those people.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
www.bustle.com

www.vox.com

Says in the articles:
Though not all of these infomercial-style products are specifically made for disabled people — even the Snuggie, which many people think was invented for wheelchair users, was not — many of them have the capacity to seriously improve life for people living with disabilities (and non-disabled people alike).

Still, not all of these "useless inventions" were developed with the disability community in mind. Monique Haas, of the Hutzler Manufacturing Company that makes the infamous banana slicer, explains: "We are trying to look at what would make life in the kitchen easy for anyone and everyone. We do have a lot of one-handed things, just because it is easier to use one hand."

Oct 25, 2017
And even if they were developed with people with disabilities in mind. The point of advertising them they way they are in informercials is almost certainly not to make people with disabilities feel less embarrassed about buying them.

EDIT: In fact, if they were designed for people with disabilities to make their lives easier it would make infinitely more sense to market directly to those people.

And how do you market directly to just disabled people? Especially back before the internet?

As for the items themselves, it really depends, the ones that are more obviously for disabled people if you stop to think for a couple seconds usually are made for people with disabilities, though. Usually the things that make you think 'how lazy do you have to be to want that?'

Reminds me of a friend of mine who posted on Facebook an ASOTV device for helping people put on their socks without having to bend over to that exact 'how lazy would you have to be?', and I had to tell them I was actually looking at that exact product because it would help me out every single day with my arthritis pain.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I find the narrative that companies need to avoid marketing directly towards disabled people so that they don't feel bad is worse than making fun of the legitimately funny "are you tired of" infomercial segments.

Do able-bodied people think every disabled person is ashamed of themselves? I'm sure as hell not.

Anyway, I don't think anything will top the Flowbee. Blades and vacuums are truly a match made in heaven.