• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
Playstation Pro from when the thing launched and that shit has been getting louder and louder since about a year ago. I cleaned it thoroughly and the noise still is as loud as a cheap gaming laptop.

But not as bad during last of us. But maybe that might be because I moved into a new apartment.

kenneld

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I didn't notice since I played with headphones, but honestly I've never noticed excessive fan noise on my circa-2015 PS4.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
A large range. Sometimes it was quiet, othertimes it sounded like it was going to literally explode. PS4 Pro launch edition

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I always play anygame with headphone but even when removing them to take a break I didn't really notice. Then again my main PC is gaming laptop so I'm using to heavy fan noise anyway.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
somewhere between a Dyson home Vacuum and an Philips industrial Vacuum.

PS5 please deliver us away from this noise pollution!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I just stay off social media, twitter and the like when I don't want to hear fan noise.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Definitely audible but not terrible on my launch PS4. No need for headphones. I was expecting worse, to be honest.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I am replaying Uncharted 4 at the moment and by comparison it is whisper quiet. I'll try to relaunch TLOUP2 this week because temperatures are cooler than the end of June so maybe it had an impact.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Very loud the whole game on my Pro. I moved the console behind the TV to mitigate the loud noise somewhat, and finally started playing with a closed back headphones even though they're not as comfortable as my open backed ones.

Danny

Oct 25, 2017
My boyfriend has been playing TLOU2 and I heard his PS4 Pro's fan from the other room. It's getting to the point where I might have to take it apart for him and apply new thermal paste and pads as it is really distracting.

DanielERA

Nov 5, 2017
Every time I load the game my original launch PS4 sounds like it's ready to take off for a space exploration mission, I play with headphones, so it doesn't bother me

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Didnd't notice it too much on my pro or my launch PS4. I will say though, I no longer keep my PS4 in a tv cabinet and have put it on top instead. Having the PS4 really helps with the cooling.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Fucking horrible, worse that I expected and more audible than GOW even. I mean, I get that being summer it makes it worse, but even then my gf shouldn't be able to hear my game console when she wants to sleep in the next room. Also, not only noise, but heat also. I have it under the TV on a cabinet with no doors, laying flat alone with 15cm free of space all around it. Under the PS4 Pro, I save some controllers and a Mac Mini. Every time I stop playing (like 1.30-2 hour sessions), if I touch the Mac mini, which is umplugged and separated from my PS4 by a 3cm wood and 25cm of air space on top of it, that thing is HOT.

The PS4 Pro cooling system is the most annoying thing this whole generation and basically a big big fail in design. I hope they step up the game big time with the PS5 because this is unnaceptable.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
less noisy than usual, but I did take steps to clean the fan and place the pro backwards in my AV cabinet so it was venting into the room to avoid buildup of heat. Still fairly noisy but not intolerable.

I'll probably get through GoT and then look to sell it

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I have a launch PS4. The fan noise was ridiculous, but then it pretty much always is. I have everything I need to do a repaste and dust removal except the rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal paste, which is proving hard to find during the pandemic.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Same here. Weirdly quiet for such a demanding game. Days Gone on the other hand constantly ran in the Boeing 747 mode.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty quiet, I have the slightly revised original model, one with no gloss and some slight internal revision they did.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
My PS4 Pro seldom gets too loud to begin with, though its audible in the Horizon map screen and Dreams main menu.

Was surprisingly quiet for the majority of TLOU pt 2!

Oct 27, 2017
It was nearly impossible to hear the environmental sounds, people talking in the distance, or any kind of sound that wasn't a gun shot or an explosion. And then, those sounds would destroy my ears.
I was playing with a 5.1.2 setup at a high volume.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Same as any other PS4 game I've played so far. Not exactly quiet, not so loud as to call it an issue. Launch Pro here.

Oct 27, 2017
I played with headphones on the entire time, but in the brief periods that I took them off, I found the fan noise to be noticeable but not worrying. Conversely, I can point to my experiences with God of War, Days Gone (menu specifically) and COD Modern Warfare as times where I thought I was seriously testing the limits of my console.

I will say that any time someone came close to my room while I was playing, they remarked that it was too warm for their own liking. My Pro would've been a fairly decent heating investment in the middle of winter.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Pretty loud on base PS4 for me, though recently not so bad now as the external temperature has climbed down in the UK.

Still I mostly play with headphones on.

McPoo

Jan 25, 2018
UK
Mine was very quiet but I put that down to me only using the console for a few games since I bought it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
PS4 Base from Launch.

It consistently its normal noise levels, it blowed harder when playing God of War in the menu screens.

The only time it got louder is whenever you're in that dense designed Forrest area.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
It was constant at full blast on my PS4 Pro before I opened it up and cleaned the heat sink and fan with an air compressor.

After that it was mostly quiet and only ever got up to about 3/4 power during the most intensive scenes.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Getting to the last area of the game in our no-headphones playthrough, and there's been a noticeable increase in fan noise. Seattle was the same for 20 hours, so it was very easy to hear the change.

It fucking sucks.

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
Mine is in a vertical position because of my room design and simply no place to put it horizontally and mine is usually decently quiet, and was also not very loud during TLOU 2, definitely dont have the issues that others have with noise.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
weirdly pretty quite and mine sounds like a jet engine when playing god of war for example.