• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think BOTW2 will release?

• Late 2021 (September-December)

Votes: 127 34.9%
  • Early 2022 (January-March

Votes: 124 34.1%
  • Mid 2022 (April-August)

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • Late 2022 (September-December)

Votes: 62 17.0%
  • 2023+

Votes: 17 4.7%

• Total voters

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I fear this game will get mentioned here:
www.resetera.com

Backlash or complaints that messed up* the next game(s)

*merely negatively affected, not necessarily ruined or made worse than previous game overall After seeing some responses to a certain detail of an upcoming game, I wondered what subsequent entries in a series got messed up in some way as a result of fan complaints and backlash The one that...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I hope the game has some visual improvements compared to the first one. after all BOTW is the same of Wii U but with a higher resolution. I'd like to know how the game would look like if they took advantage of the Switch's extra power.
Just from the teaser trailer we saw in 2019 there were some subtle but meaningful visual improvements to lighting, particles effects and such. The most notable likely was the cel shading has gone from two toned to three toned. Basically instead of there being two levels of shadowing on characters there's now three levels, which will be especially important and meaningful if we are spending any amount of time underground with limited and moody lighting.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg said Switch pro will be 2021, and I expect it to launch with that, so we should get a full blowout at E3.

Pajama Sam

Jul 17, 2018
In terms of a reveal, I'm guessing:
E3 2021: BotW2 teaser w/ March 2022 date (alongside Metroid V and 2D Mario reveals)
September 2021 direct: No mention of BotW2 (but we get news on a Zelda collection, alongside trailers for new Kirby + Buddy Mission Bond localization)
January 2022 Switch Pro event: Big BotW trailer (alongside trailers for Bayonetta 3 + Xenoblade 3)

I'm thinking Pokemon Legends: Arceus gets bumped to November 2022 to avoid open-world fatigue.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the game itself, I expect a substantial underworld that will make up the games dungeons. I expect familiar locations from BotW but with changes. I expect this to end the Demise Curse cycle. I don't expect Zelda to be playable in any significant way.

In terms of release, early 2022. I'd be shocked if this was a 2021 release.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo puts their trailers close to the release dates of their games, so I expect a fall trailer, then a winter 2022 release. Unless they really want to aim for the winter holiday season 2022.

As for the content of the game, I just hope they don't listen to the very vocal minority and take a more artisan approach to whatever they add to the game.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I expect they'll add in some random shit no one has come up with and it will be cool as fuck. Also expecting obvious inclusions like dungeons even if they have a different form or are presented in a new way.

Jul 20, 2020
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Poor frame rate, choppy graphics, horribly optimized, features in every open world game since GTA:SA. Best game ever just from a trailer according to games media.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I'm actually more curious to see what kind of approach an direct sequel will have.

If I could guess, Zelda would be playable and, while Zelda will stay on the present, Link will be somewhat transported to 10.000 years on the past and some of the gameplay elements on the past will reflect on the present.

I mean, they build up the story of the past in the first game too much and barely used in a practical way.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Breakable weapons: I think they are coming back but will be more in tune, maybe it will take longer to break or maybe instead of breaking they will just get weaker and weaker until it hits 1 damage and you have to repair the weapon to bring back its original power.

i would be surprised. The game is centred around using whatever is at your disposal, liberally encouraging you to throw your breaking weapon into the face of your enemy. Suddenly moving towards a "hold on and cherish" thing would not really go with that. No weapon is important enough to hang onto or to interrupt your playing of the game to go trotting off to do a repair.

I feel like they need to overhaul the boomerang though.

oh and shrines? They are not dungeon replacements. They are fast travel and achievable tasks centred around portable play, with shrine quests being the meatier of the type.

Same sort of "one big room / puzzle" would be good again, especially as the game sucks when inside rooms.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
If BOTW was Ocarina, BOTW2 should hopefully be Majora. I'll take more of the same but won't get too hyped. BOTW was an incredible experience

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely don't want weapons that don't break back. it promotes hoarding and inventory bloat. if anything, they should have weapon crafting. why there wasn't arrow crafting in the first game, I don't know, but all of that should be included in 2

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I want weapon breaking back and a smaller overall inventory to deter hoarding. I'm cool if they want to introduce a weapon crafting system where you can combine weapons and certain items to create more powerful weapons, but I really enjoyed the weapon system as it was and don't really have any desire for weapons that don't break. The fact that your starting inventory of like 8 could be doubled only detracted from the system as it was super easy to hoard tons of weapons. Keep the inventory max to like 6-8 so that scrounging for weapons and being creative with your abilities mid fight remains throughout the whole game.

Weapon crafting could be a good way of making all those excess dropped weapons meaningful as you can then use them to create stronger, longer lasting weapons. Combine two Rusty Broadswords to create a Soldier's Broadsword. Combine a Soldier's Broadsword with some Red Chu Jellies and get a Flameblade. Stuff like that. Gives players a means of improving their arsenal and making use of those enemy drops, while not over complicating the system with the need for additional materials or menus.

I do want a return of non-breaking Tools though. Stuff like the Hook-shot, Shovel, Iron Boots, Fishing Rod, Lantern, Flute, Digging Mitts, Whip, Gust Bellows and so on. Stuff that can be used for exploration, puzzle solving and combat. They wouldn't necessarily do direct damage in a fight, but can be used in creative ways to disarm or disable our enemies. Snatching away or disarming weapons or shields, pulling off body armor, tripping enemies, confusing them.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
If BOTW was Ocarina, BOTW should hopefully be Majora. I'll take more of the same but won't get too hyped. BOTW was an incredible experience

I think BotW2 will have way more new stuff than people expect. It'll be 4.5-5 years since BotW at time of release. That to me says it will have substantial differences.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Plot twist: The Breath of the Wild sequel turns out to be a prequel for the big 2021 Nintendo release: Metroid Dread.

Jan 3, 2018
I think BotW2 will have way more new stuff than people expect. It'll be 4.5-5 years since BotW at time of release. That to me says it will have substantial differences.

Yeah probably. I'm having flashbacks to thinking skyward sword would be amazing because in was in dev for 5 years. But that was because of the motion plus, which wouldn't be the same case here, even if there are some additional features on the Switch Pro.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
  • New map because the castle moved to an entirely new region or something. They'll make something up.
  • Weapon degradation works the same way BUT there will be more reparable special weapons similar to the few in the original. Also might add crafting elements similar to Skyward Sword
  • Themed dungeons with old school items, more varied boss fights and puzzles. To ensure non-linearity these will be tied to the dungeon (Link has to 'hang them up' to open the exit)
  • Dungeons (some, maybe all?!) will also have a story element similar to Snowpeak ruins to further distinguish them from shrines. Zelda may be playable in the final dungeon.
  • The standard abilities/items from Breath of the Wild return but a few new ones are added, including a hook shot-like weapon and a new version of the beetle
  • Oh, and there's greater enemy variety
  • And it'll be amazing, the Galaxy 2 of Zelda's

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No expectations

If it's at E3, great. If not, whatever.

Launch sometime in 2022 is my guess. Honestly don't care when it comes out, as long as the team is given the time and resources they need to make a great game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Nintendo, in the February Direct: It's still way too early to show or even talk about the game in any way, shape, or form

~36% of the poll: Oh, this is definitely out in 2021

No one knows how to set themselves up for disappointment as much as some of us do.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, in the February Direct: It's still way too early to show or even talk about the game in any way, shape, or form

No one knows how to set themselves up for disappointment as much as some of us do.

Tbf they didn't say anything near that just that they'll say more this year at a later date.

That being said I do agree with you and people are setting themselves up for disappointment expecting it this year or early next year.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
My Wishlist:

*Rare and hard to obtain/craftable weapons and armor. And hidden rare items in the world.
* Unique named Mini bosses in each biome that are worth killing for items or rewards. Remember the Zelda team was playing Red Dead 2 a lot a few years back.
*Deeper Story and return to form themes for dungeons.
*More minigames and fishing! - Like...how was there no fishing in BOTW!!! I don't want to scoop fish with my hands...
*Underwater Swimming
*Fun gadgetry

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

That's not what they said at all, they didn't want to show off Skyward Sword HD and BOTW2 back to back because well...BOTW2 would completely overshadow SSHD.

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
I found BotW empty and repetitive. I am playing Skyrim again and there is so much more content and variation than in Zelda that itis absurd. And the dungeons and bosses were simply not good.

Still don't understand the hype on the game aside of the fantastic and unique elements system.

That was the real huge part of the Zelda and it would have worked a lot better in a better designed world, dungeons and bosses.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Bring back Castle Town! That's all I want. A living, bustling Castle Town, not the lifeless ruins of the first game that mostly serves as a backdrop.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I found BotW empty and repetitive. I am playing Skyrim again and there is so much more content and variation than in Zelda that itis absurd. And the dungeons and bosses were simply not good.

Still don't understand the hype on the game aside of the fantastic and unique elements system.

That was the real huge part of the Zelda and it would have worked a lot better in a better designed world, dungeons and bosses.
Better designed world? 🤣🤣🤣

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
It's so hard to say. It could come this year. We'll see at e3 at the latest what Nintendo has in store for the second half of 2021.

I expect nothing revolutionary. A new underground map in addition to an adjusted hyrule, a new story, new characters, new dungeons. And oh, Zelda will be playable.

Edit: Personally I hope that there will be a big fully realized castle town. I want to see that time has passed since the final fight against Ganon and not that almost everything is just ruins once again.

Last edited:

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
World changing event that transforms landscape.

Transformation masks.

Mask Salesman?

Glimpse of Gerudo Ganondorf restored form.

Ganondorf laugh.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Breakable weapons: I think they are coming back but will be more in tune, maybe it will take longer to break or maybe instead of breaking they will just get weaker and weaker until it hits 1 damage and you have to repair the weapon to bring back its original power.
This is a cool idea, and instead of the weapons breaking when you throw them, they'll teleport to your inbox thanks to Sheikah magic so you can power them up again later.

🎩
🥸

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I have extremely low expectations since I didn't enjoy the original to begin with. They'll probably try to add back some of the classic Zelda stuff but it'll feel like a half-measure to try to appeal to both traditional Zelda fans and BotW fans at the same time and it won't be enough to bring me back to the series cause that means it would still have most of the things I didn't like about the first game. I'm sure it'll show up at E3 though.

Jan 3, 2018
I have extremely low expectations since I didn't enjoy the original to begin with. They'll probably try to add back some of the classic Zelda stuff but it'll feel like a half-measure to try to appeal to both traditional Zelda fans and BotW fans and I'm sure it won't be enough to bring me back to the series cause that means it would still have the stuff I didn't like about the first game. I'm sure it'll show up at E3 though.

😟 This definitely could happen. You can't do item/dungeon progression while maintaining the freedom of the first game.

Also I just realized we can't really trust any story trailers we get pre-release because that one BotW trailer was so misleading.

That's not what they said at all, they didn't want to show off Skyward Sword HD and BOTW2 back to back because well...BOTW2 would completely overshadow SSHD.

Which it will do if it shows up at E3. If I were them I would've released SSHD in May.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo puts their trailers close to the release dates of their games, so I expect a fall trailer, then a winter 2022 release. Unless they really want to aim for the winter holiday season 2022.

As for the content of the game, I just hope they don't listen to the very vocal minority and take a more artisan approach to whatever they add to the game.
If this was true we wouldn't have gotten the trailer at E3 2 years ago.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If this was true we wouldn't have gotten the trailer at E3 2 years ago.
Zelda is currently basically the only exceptions to this. Since like late 2017 virtually every title Nintendo has shown a trailer or gameplay for the first time released within ~6-12 months of that reveal. Even games that received delays like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem still held true to that.

Hard to say at this point what Nintendo's original intentions were due to the Covid impact on everything. Seems likely they were playing by different rules for Zelda and never intending to hold to that ~12 month max, but whether they were aiming for holiday 2020 originally or even later is anyone's guess. But I would be willing to bet they weren't intending to be 2+ years out from release when they showed it. Even if Zelda is a special case to some degree they've handled things a lot different this time around choosing to not show brief snippets like they did with BotW every year for like 3 years straight. They did the E3 2019 reveal and have held off likely choosing not to show it off again or really discuss it at all until they're dead certain on the release date.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
BOTW is a GOAT-level game for me, so I don't expect the sequel to wow me similarly.
It's kind of funny that, even though I'm anticipating the game immensely, I don't have any specific expectations.

I don't know, I hope it's good...?

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
my guess is little no no showing at E3. If they show anything at all it'll be like this lovely 10 second "sorry wait longer" video from 2015.

anyone else remember this one?