• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
They're high:
  • Feature a likable cast of characters on first impression
  • Build on FFVII-R's combat
  • Have at least a greater semblance of openness.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it's there, beyond that I really just want confirmation of some type of 'turn-based' combat option ala FFVIIR.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I don't think anything but that Ninja Theory Final Fantasy ARPG will be shown.

SE doesn't tend to pile on with their Final Fantasy branded announcements usually. I'm also assuming that FFXVI is super delayed.

I could MAYBE see an FF7R Part 2 teaser given the reports of that game being developed very smoothly.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
A party reveal. Cause if this is a single character game well... that character looks very boring lol

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
E3 specifically, or does this comprehend whatever Sony will do that falls into the now accepted "Summer period of game shows"?

Anyway I'm expecting a meaty trailer with updated graphics (people will still complain), confirmation or denial regarding party members, some town and/or world exploration and some cool cutscenes and setpieces bits. Ends with a 2022 release announcement, more to come this Fall for a dedicated showcase.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Eh, I think this assumption people have that Sony is going to have sole promotional dibs on everything is silly. They're all ultimately still SEs games; it's up to SE to make them successful and they have a more than vested interest in promoting them. These games can just be in multiple shows too and that's pretty standard for any big 3rd-party exclusives on PS/Xbox.

Given that and insider comments, I think we'll see XVI in SE Presents, still. I think it might even be in the Summer Games show on the 10th. Wasn't it rumored to be in that last year, but got pushed to Sony's thing later? That deal could just as easily be made again.

I'm not worried.
Thing is that a Sasliquid, who was vetted, said "I wouldn't expect any big Final Fantasy news" in the S-E Presents thread. That's why there's an increasing number of people thinking FF XVI won't be shown there. Whether it'll be shown elsewhere (SGF, a potential Sony stream...) is a whole different thing.

Then again, Nate said a week ago or so that XVI would have an E3 presence when asked and, in that same thread, Navtra said this (with Quinton backing up):
Relax. Whether it's in this stream or somewhere else, we're getting FF stuff this June.
If all three users' info is up to date and accurate, S-E Presents won't be the place for XVI, but another event would do soon after (or earlier!).

Again though, plans can change, so I choose to be pessimistic just in case.
I just hope it's there, beyond that I really just want confirmation of some type of 'turn-based' combat option ala FFVIIR.
XVI should bring back something like Gambits system that lets us customize party A.I.
XVI should have, per Yoshida, some kind of option for people not too adept at playing action games. I don't know if it'll be an easy mode, an auto-combo kind of thing or whatever, but yeah.

I really don't think they'll have something like the Wait modes in XV or VII Remake, though. I expect command-based stuff to be kept to a minimum in XVI, if not gone altogether.

As for a Gambit system, that'd be great, but I'm not even too sure this will even have a party. Although we've seen guest members, so maybe you'll get more unique-looking ones (as opposed to this generic soldier) and they'll occasionally join Clive:
hTKRb0w.png

Like a rotating party of sorts. A Gambit system would make them more involved in battle if they end up not being playable.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I don't think we see it anymore. I think the stuff under wraps will be Forspoken and maybe we'll see that Nioh game

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Won't be there, they're still pretending it's a ps5 exclusive. I expect it at TGS

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn Sony holding new footage of FFXVI and Forspoken for whatever they plan to stream

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

SE doesn't tend to pile on with their Final Fantasy branded announcements usually. I'm also assuming that FFXVI is super delayed.

I could MAYBE see an FF7R Part 2 teaser given the reports of that game being developed very smoothly.

I wouldn't assume 7R is further ahead than XVI at all. We're definitely getting XVI before 7R Part 2 imo

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting FF16 at E3 so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.
FF Origins tho'..... will be there.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I expect a new trailer and a release date of March/April 2022.

Anything better or more than that and I'll be even more excited.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't make sense with most of the lineup being under wraps and the length of the show. It's 40 minutes. If the Eidos game trailer is on the longer side, that's probably ~3mins. Let's be extremely generous and say the LIS3 stuff takes up a whole 10 mins. Let's add 3 more for the remasters. Let's round that out with 4-5 mins of Babylon's Fall.

We're not getting 20 minutes of the Souls thing lol

I forgot the Avengers DLC, but it's just DLC. There's at least 2-3 things in this they haven't mentioned and probably more since it's "mostly under wraps"

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just another trailer with short clips of gameplay and a release date target window. I hope I'm wrong and we see a ton of it instead. First time in my life I'm excited for a Final Fantasy game.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I mostly expect another cinematic trailer with a gameplay segment similar to how they showcased FF7R last E3. But I also really wanna see more of the chocobo riders we saw during the first trailer.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
trailer similar to the last one so all in game/engine with gameplay sprinkled in and maaaaaybe a release window of a year like 2022 at the end

DevilMayBeShy

Dec 4, 2020
I think we're more likely to see more of it at Sony's next state of play as SE didn't even mention FFXVI in their E3 showcase announcement despite mentioning other games such as a reveal of an new Eidos game and Babylon's Fall. I'd love to be wrong though!

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I dunno why people are so intent on this having a blowout this month. Yoshi-P said they would reveal more "later in the year" whereas Forspoken after their last tease said they would show more "very soon".

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Fully expecting Clive to be the only playable character. Even more Vagrant Story and FFXIV influences than what we have already seen.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
They're high:
  • Feature a likable cast of characters on first impression
  • Build on FFVII-R's combat
  • Have at least a greater semblance of openness.

What has been shown of the game, it is more linear. The combat is heavily inspired by DMC, even to the point of having similar animations from those games and having the Battle Director of those games working on XVI. And hard to judge a cast of characters upon first blush. The original trailer barely told us anything about the game. Just scattered cutscenes and gameplay that hardly transition into one another.

IMHO, it was very generic and safe looking FF to me, and that doesn't excite me much. I think the combat can save it for me though.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
What has been shown of the game, it is more linear. The combat is heavily inspired by DMC, even to the point of having similar animations from those games and having the Battle Director of those games working on XVI. And hard to judge a cast of characters upon first blush. The original trailer barely told us anything about the game. Just scattered cutscenes and gameplay that hardly transition into one another.

IMHO, it was very generic and safe looking FF to me, and that doesn't excite me much. I think the combat can save it for me though.

Genuinely don't know how you can say what we saw looked more linear. It may very well be that way, but we literally saw 0 traversal lol

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
A trailer that still leaves things vague AF but with an ambitious 2022 release date promised at the end

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I can't believe it might not show up. I thought we were finally in the time of square enix showing things from their Japanese side. I'm not asking for it to launch this october. I just want to see it. Give us a story trailer, a new one. Give us a 5-10 minute exploration and combat gameplay. Then say the next showing is later on.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I just want confirmation of a release date and maybe some gameplay details (fully open world? PS4 version? 60fps?)

The reveal trailer was great and the music shown off was godtier

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I dunno why people are so intent on this having a blowout this month. Yoshi-P said they would reveal more "later in the year" whereas Forspoken after their last tease said they would show more "very soon".
He never said "later in the year". He said this:
Our next big information reveal is scheduled for 2021

And I can't check the Forspoken video right now, but I mean, if it's at E3 of course it'd be "very soon", since that video was from late February. FF XVI only had a showing back in September, so it wouldn't make sense to say that when they were so far away from E3.

Not that this means that FF XVI is sure going to be shown next week, I'm not too optimistic.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I wouldn't assume 7R is further ahead than XVI at all. We're definitely getting XVI before 7R Part 2 imo

It's not about what's further ahead in development. I just don't see them doing a full trailer or another teaser for FFXVI when that game is extremely likely delayed and not releasing this year. Especially when they're putting all their effort into FFXIV: Endwalker and giving it a November release.

That's why I think it's more likely there will be a FF7R Part 2 teaser than another FFXVI trailer. I don't think we'll see FFXVI again until the next major Playstation State of Play.

It's definitely possible it'll be here, they seem to have a ton of games to show this year over previous years.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
It's not about what's further ahead in development. I just don't see them doing a full trailer or another teaser for FFXVI when that game is extremely likely delayed and not releasing this year. Especially when they're putting all their effort into FFXIV: Endwalker and giving it a November release.

That's why I think it's more likely there will be a FF7R Part 2 teaser than another FFXVI trailer. I don't think we'll see FFXVI again until the next major Playstation State of Play.

It's definitely possible it'll be here, they seem to have a ton of games to show this year over previous years.

I mean yeah, everything has been internally delayed. XVI never got a date at all, though. Nobody really even expected it this year. Just don't see why we would see 7R and not XVI.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about getting a release date, hope more games hold the date until they are sure or close to a firm date.

I just wanna see more characters at this point. Hoping that the MC isn't the only playable character, and we get to roll with a party.

Might be a dated jrpg concept but I always enjoy meeting new characters as you journey through the world, with some of them deciding to come along for the ride.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

They're far more more likely to show XVI (which is five years ahead of VIIR2, dev-wise) or a trailer for Intergrade (out just days before the show) or even for one of those new VII mobile games than any kind of teaser for VIIR-2. It makes zero sense to get into that at all before XVI and Endwalker are out. They're gonna promote the stuff they've already announced because they've already announced it. And if you do too much in terms of announcements in the same franchise, you just get ahead of yourself, which seems like a lesson SE learned the hard way.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
They're far more more likely to show XVI (which is five years ahead of VIIR2, dev-wise) or a trailer for Intergrade (out just days before the show) or even for one of those new VII mobile games than any kind of teaser for VIIR-2. It makes zero sense to get into that at all before XVI and Endwalker are out. They're gonna promote the stuff they've already announced because they've already announced it. And if you do too much in terms of announcements in the same franchise, you just get ahead of yourself, which seems like a lesson SE learned the hard way.
Yeah and, even if S-E doesn't change their ways, I'd expect all of the FF VII Remake parts to be announced a year or so before release. There's no reason to show them earlier, considering everybody knows they're coming (meaning no worry about a leak like with Part 1), they have a dedicated big team in place already and people know what type of game to expect.

I still think S-E has learnt the lesson, though, if XVI (I guess this might have been Yoshida's request) and Forspoken are anything to go by. EDIT: actually just remembered DQ XII.