• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
ive been amazed

dreamcast I think was the one where I was very surprised at what I was looking at.
I was also taken back by MGS2 and Spyro The dragon.

but never said it could never get better than something

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 2. The CG. Good lord. I wasn't astute enough to understand that the split between real time and prerendered wasn't one that had to persist for all time. So I thought: the in game visuals are as good as they'll ever be. And the CG is practically photo realistic. So we're done here! Best looking game ever!

Re4 was a looker. But it felt rough enough to me that I knew we were going to get better.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Also GoldenEye. I remember seeing it running on a tiny CRT TV in a dingy games shop and thinking we'd peaked.

Oct 27, 2017
007: Everything or Nothing. Between some fantastic set pieces and using real actors for the character models I thought this was as cinematic as games could ever get.

I think Body Harvest (lulz) or Vigilante 8 probably got this reaction first, but I genuinely thought we peaked with EoN.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Tekken Tag Tournament / GT3 on PS2. Both of those games just floored my teenage mind. I remember seeing the first screens of TTT and then going to the arcade and being baffled that the PS2 looked BETTER than the arcade. I just couldn't see things getting better from there, lol.

I was born in 85, so I'd been playing games as a kid on Atari systems, the NES, gameboy, SNES, Genesis, and Playstation, but when the PS2 came out, hoo boy!

Tekken Tag Tournament. I couldn't believe my eyes. Everything looked so polished and slick. My eyes and brain were somehow entirely ignoring the remaining jaggies. Somehow it just looked like perfection to me.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Kevvy Metal

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely the likes of -

Daytona USA (Arcade)
Super Mario 64 (playing the import Japanese version in an indie shop at the time)
Spider-Man (on the OG PlayStation! I remember distinctly thinking that actual statement, that games can't get better)

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was early PS3 days when I played Ultimate Ninja Storm 1 and Haze. The lighting and caracter models basically looked real, especially on a CRT.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Literally never

I've been impressed by many games, but at no point did I ever think "this is the peak".

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still think that there is an aesthetic to GT3 A-Spec that Polyphony didn't match until GT Sport, the sunsets and the more vivid colours just had style.

(It doesn't help that that was the last great era for cars)

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I ever said that, but some of the early PS360 leaks impressed the hell out of me back in the day. Stuff like Oblivion, MGS4, Heavy Rain, Lair, etc blew my mind. Remember that shot of the woman with the gun in Heavy Rain? With tears running down her face or something. Looked so good at the time.

Going from FFIX to FFX was also an eye-opening moment to me.

Oct 30, 2017
Half-Life 2 and Oblivion for sure. Once I saw what normal-mapping could do, I thought that we had reached the pinnacle of graphics.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I've never thought that. I think this gen has been the first time I ever even thought "wow, things sure are starting to look pretty real." But even now we've still got ways to go before game visuals reach the near infinite detail we see in real life. I don't think games will stop improving visuals until they can display near infinite detail on a microlevel in real-time. Safe to say, that's not going to happen in our lifetimes. I've thought this way ever since I was a little kid.

Oct 25, 2017
When I played Sonic Adventure 2 and Resident Evil Code Veronica for the first time on a friend's Dreamcast.

They blew my fucking mind. I was only used to seeing PS1 and N64 games. I will never forget that moment.

He loaded a save file from Code Veronica from the part where you take the submarine to the underwater offices, and there's a camera shot from outside the window, looking inside from the water.

I was drooling. I could not believe how amazing and solid everything looked. Textures looked super sharp, not blurry like the N64 or pixelated like the PS1.

And those character models, my GOD. They were super realistic in my eyes. They even moved their lips while they spoke! And they had EYES.

Nothing would ever look better than that. It was impossible. Games had reached their graphical peak.

Then MGS2 came along and... Well...

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I was dumb and young, had only a C64 at home. Dragon's Lair in the arcade blew my mind, I was unable to process its witchcraft.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Killzone 2 and MotorStorm at E3 2005 (yeah, I thought they were real! lol)

Other than those fake videos, I don't remember exactly what was the first game. Maybe it was Max Payne or Gran Turismo 4. Mortal Kombat 3 in 16 bit era was somehow like a movie too.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Dragon's lair... and to be honest cartoon games don t look better several decades later, although some key few match (cuphead comes to mind). They sure play a lot better though.

dragonslair6zjil.jpg

arcade 83/84 (i think it was 84 for us)...
Dragon's Lair 2 time warp had more punch, but the first one was woah.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Mothafuckin' Rogue Squadron II.

1465349854-708105904.jpg

Eat your heart out, Battlefront II.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know that this is the earliest I've had that thought, but the earliest I remember thinking it is with Starfox Adventures.
The textures looked amazing to me, and the fur on the characters actually stood up, like fur. It wasn't just painted on.

Sure, it wasn't going for photorealism, but even as a child I understood that stylized isn't inherently worse-looking than photorealistic. (Personally, I think stylized looks better in nearly every case, once you get past being amazed at the technical aspect of it.)

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Never really had this experience. I'm not sure what the cultural inclination is or anything in the tech field or maybe it's the broadening net that Gaming started to cast as years went on but I never went "This game is the epitome of game. The games visuals are better than anything"

I've definitely stopped to smell the roses and take tons of screenshots in games, but I've never looked at a game and went "Yeah nothing can top this" because not only do the graphics have less to do with my enjoyment of the game than its art direction, but because it will always improve. But I'm also the guy who loves stylized games over realism so my opinion might be moot in that regard as those styles tend to age better.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker.

And honestly, it held up for a long time.
Until Guilty Gear made the jump to 3D.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I halfheartedly thought that when seeing Arcade games compared to consoles and later when seeing Super Mario 64, but the first time I really believed it was the rain level in Gears of War on 360. I was convinced that was the pinnacle of gaming graphics.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is sort of cheating but.

Crysis 1. Came out more than 10 years ago and still looks better than some AAA games.

I think some environmental and finer effects can look MARGINALLY dated. But I have a hard time envisioning any game that will look significantly better than Crysis.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing RE2 on the N64. I very much remmeber thinking how impressive and "real like" the graphics looked. I was probably 13 lol
Gamecube launch with Rogue Squadron as well.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is a fun idea.

I had this moment late because I didn't get in to console gaming until late 1999 in to early 2000. This was a weird time to start gaming. It was the final years of the N64 and PlayStation after many people had already been wowed by the likes of Super Mario 64 and Metal Gear Solid. Arcades, once famous for showcasing the best graphics of the industry, were out of fashion and being rapidly converted to ticket-based.

I also bounced around between the Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo, and the GameCube because they were all equally new to me. Because I was playing all three of these systems at once, I had no real sense of how much time had passed between the landmark releases on each machine. Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 were just two different Mario games. I didn't think of them in regards to the technology it took to make them or how much time passed from one to the other.

But finally I had a moment that made me think "wow, games have come so far, this is the best it will ever be." It was when I saw the seam on Mario's hat in the opening cutscene to Super Smash Bros Melee. I remember being amazed that games could show that level of detail now. No longer did they simply represent the world - they depicted it as it was! What a time to be alive.

I didn't have a thought like this again until I played The Last of Us on PS3. I didn't really think "games will never look better than this," but more like "I would be okay if games looked like this forever." This feeling was, rather humorously, erased when I played The Last of Us Remastered on PS4 and realized how much better that game could look just running on a newer machine.

I don't think I've had such a thought since then. I actually have begun to take graphics sort of for granted now. I've played a lot of amazing-looking games this generation and I am definitely consistently wowed at the visual fidelity of their universes. I think this is reflected in the widespread popularity of photo modes in so many games now. Games just look amazing and there is so much they can show and present and design that they couldn't before.

I doubt I will ever feel like "games will never look better than this" again. But it's amazing to always be able to say "games have never looked better."

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Seeing Madden go from this:

To this:

Blew my mind that the characters had individual fingers. I'll never forget that.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
It was Donkey Kong Country, the hype for 'SGI' graphics on a supernintendo was unheard of at the time compared to anything else haha

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
While I've never gone "Games can't look better than this!", throughout the years one of my biggest "This is the best games have ever looked" realization/feeling was the first time I played Jak and Daxter on the PS2?

The animations were smooth, the world was seamless, and it was 60 fps. It was insane at the time.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I told myself, looking over a Rogue Leader magazine preview, that it wouldn't be next gen but the one after that which would be the peak.