• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dream spin off

• Akira

Votes: 51 17.1%
  • Blade Runner

Votes: 46 15.4%
  • City Hunter

Votes: 40 13.4%
  • F-Zero

Votes: 58 19.4%
  • Jojo

Votes: 106 35.5%
  • Streets of Rage

Votes: 58 19.4%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 26 8.7%

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2017
I really want a Sonic Yakuza game. Sonic in Kamurocho with Kiryu's voice actor, vibe like the Detective Pikachu game. Move at a normal human speed with the left stick, but if the right trigger is pulled he takes off like a car and pedestrians jump out of your way to clear a path.

Edit: Beaten by seconds haha

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Yakuza x My Summer Vacation. I can already hear the cicadas. And the bloodshed.

In all seriousness, I would play literally anything set in Kamurocho and the like.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
I dont want to dream.
All their spin offs are console only.

They made a ****ing Fist of the North Star game and I. CAN'T. play. it.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
An adaptation of Inoue's Vagabond (which is an adaptation of Eiji Yoshikawa's novel Musashi) would be a really perfect fit for the Yakuza team, I think...

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Gintama would work really well.

I would love to see a Streets of Rage game like that. I always found the SOR universe very interesting. As long it is a brawler though.

Yooo, Gintama would work amazingly well with Yakuza's style.

I'd be happy with Isshin with English subs though, come Sega, I'll keep shitpoisting about it until you make it happen.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
It just has to be Gintama, it's literally perfect for the kind of game Yakuza is considering how much it goes back and forth between comedy and "serious" arcs. The setting being similar helps too.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'd probably say Shenmue if it meant I get a Shenmue 4 that actually has a good story. That would be a treat. Won't happen though.

Streets of Rage, Spikeout, Golden Axe, heck that Altered Beast shout out above... all of those would be fun.

But one silly crossover idea I always had was Fatal Fury X Yakuza - as in - Kiryu and Terry would team up to fight Geese whose expanded his reach to Kamurocho. It just makes too much sense since:
Geese is a crime boss, and has badass goons to fight along the way - Ripper and Hopper? Raiden? Yamazaki (ok, that one is contentious, he'd totally stab everyone in the back) and of course Billy Kane.

If you need more drama and have an opposing force to Geese and the good guys... either have the Jins + scrolls plot, or Krauser show up. Or Mr Big.

Geese loves fighting atop giant buildings, a Yakuza tradition.

Geese also loves to fight shirtless. Another tick in the box.

Geese also falls off/dies at the end of most of his appearances, and most Yakuza bosses end up dead (heck, one literally fell off a building).

Plus the thought of a Geese final boss fight is too damn enticing.
I dreamt RGG Studio helped Yu Suzuki produce a Shenmue Kiwami of sorts

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yooo, Gintama would work amazingly well with Yakuza's style.

I'd be happy with Isshin with English subs though, come Sega, I'll keep shitpoisting about it until you make it happen.
They better do it.

Like, the game is already done. Just localize it!

While you are at it port Black Panther 1 and 2 to PS5.
I dreamt RGG Studio helped You Suzuki produce a Shenmue Kiwami of sorts
From what I understand, Yu Suzuki seems to dislike Yakuza.

Not sure why though.

Oct 27, 2017
They already did Fist of the North Star, doing JoJo with the ORA ORA ORA ORA is like a hop skip away from that. Would be down for some cyberpunk action with Akira or Blade Runner. But the real dream is Cowboy Bebop.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gintama would be perfect, a crazy version of Kabukicho is even the main area already.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Yakuza x Animal Crossing

Give me a life sim where I live in the Japanese countryside and have thugs for neighbors, all the while contributing to the development of my town and improving the lives of the people around me through sometimes wacky surprise events

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Studio can adapt...
The Nagoshi team worked under Suzuki during the Shenmue era... They can do it again.
I wish.

Shenmue 3 should have just been done by him and Yakuza team. A lot of stuff from Shenmue are already in Yakuza (though they would need to program more stuff that makes the game fit shenmue as a straight conversion to Yakuza engine would fit Shenmue).

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero or Streets of Rage for me. F-Zero could literally just be a few hours long campaign and excuse to let the Yakuza team make a successor to GX. Streets of Rage's crime-ridden streets would probably work pretty well in the traditional Yakuza framework while giving an opportunity to flesh out the story and characters.

I saw a bunch of Shenmue fans against the idea but they forgot many staff from the Yakuza Studio worked on Shenmue.

I think because of how frequent annoying people pop up comparing the two games even though they have extremely different philosophies. The team could no doubt do a proper Shenmue-style game, but more often than not people comparing the two are usually just trying to dunk on Shenmue in spite of the two being extremely different outside of being open world games where you get into fistfights.

From what I understand, Yu Suzuki seems to dislike Yakuza.

Not sure why though.

First I'm hearing about it. I only ever hear about Nagoshi not liking the comparison, with my understanding being because usually people are being disrespectful when they try to bring it up.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
i feel like near any franchise would work in the genre.

Shit, make a modern zelda similar to that concept art that popped up some years back, and just straight up make a it a yakuza game.

An f-zero adaption has the potential to be the weird Star Fox Adventures of the franchise. Gimme.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I like a lot of those properties, but Streets of Rage is the only one I feel like would super fit with the Yakuza aesthetic and gameplay style.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
City Hunter would be great, but you know what id love to see? Golgo 13. ive been thinking about this while playing through Like a Dragon for some reason (i think Arakawa's face reminds me of Togo a a bit). utilize minigame-like mechanics as part of the core gameplay (taking a job, researching the target/adjacents, setting up the operation, and finally executing the hit). id love to see them set it in the 70s/80s, too.

OP
OP
Giant Enemy Crab
Apr 21, 2018
F-Zero or Streets of Rage for me. F-Zero could literally just be a few hours long campaign and excuse to let the Yakuza team make a successor to GX. Streets of Rage's crime-ridden streets would probably work pretty well in the traditional Yakuza framework while giving an opportunity to flesh out the story and characters.

I think because of how frequent annoying people pop up comparing the two games even though they have extremely different philosophies. The team could no doubt do a proper Shenmue-style game, but more often than not people comparing the two are usually just trying to dunk on Shenmue in spite of the two being extremely different outside of being open world games where you get into fistfights.

First I'm hearing about it. I only ever hear about Nagoshi not liking the comparison, with my understanding being because usually people are being disrespectful when they try to bring it up.
Fun fact, Sakamoto, the director of F-Zero GX produced Like a Dragon.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
e4a

Last edited:
OP
OP
Giant Enemy Crab
Apr 21, 2018
I wish.

Shenmue 3 should have just been done by him and Yakuza team. A lot of stuff from Shenmue are already in Yakuza (though they would need to program more stuff that makes the game fit shenmue as a straight conversion to Yakuza engine would fit Shenmue).
"Nagoshi was also very integral into making Shenmue come to life. Although the credits only tell us he was a supervisor; he has revealed the development story. He was called by the CEO at the time to get the game finished, and as a result, he had to serve as producer and director on the final months of development. He recognized that as one of the turning points in his career.[SUP][1]"[/SUP]

[SUP]SEGA RETRO[/SUP]

[SUP]Here's another specific example of the Nagoshi Team within Shenmue's project:[/SUP]
[SUP] [/SUP]

So, this kind of senior who worked later on F-Zero, Binary Domain, Yakuza knows exactly the spirit of AM2 titles. :)

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it was in an interview near Shenmue 3's launch.

"Nagoshi was also very integral into making Shenmue come to life. Although the credits only tell us he was a supervisor; he has revealed the development story. He was called by the CEO at the time to get the game finished, and as a result, he had to serve as producer and director on the final months of development. He recognized that as one of the turning points in his career.[SUP][1]"[/SUP]

[SUP]SEGA RETRO[/SUP]

[SUP]Here's another specific example of the Nagoshi Team within Shenmue's project:[/SUP]
[SUP] [/SUP]

So, this kind of senior who worked later on F-Zero, Binary Domain, Yakuza knows exactly the spirit of AM2 titles. :)
Agreed.

Rebellion82

Jan 9, 2020
Another for JoJo, but what I really want is YuYu Hakusho. That would be absolutely amazing. Gintama would be the perfect series for Yakuza treatment though. Absolutely perfect fit.

And for JoJo I want a completely different game than what most people are saying. Give me a Battle Tendency sequel where Joseph is going to destroy the sleeping Santana and some rogue Speedwagon Foundation members lets him out and you have to find and stop them. Always felt hamon would work better with the gameplay mechanics and heat actions. Could even have a little Holly be the Haruka of the game lol

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Yakuza x Kobra Kai (The Karate Kid)

Yakuza x The incredible Hulk

Yakuza x a travelling road trip

Yakuza x Groundhog day

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza: Dead Souls 2.

Use the shooter engine from Binary Domain.

Stars Haruka, who's learned how to fuck people's shit up.

Here's the target vibe:

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad we never got FotNS/HGG 2. More shocked i guess. Would've been a nice reuse of those Eden assets created.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we've had this conversation multiple times before.

Cowboy Bebop because we need an awesome CB game although I'd like a bit of space combat and multiple locations.
Gintama because we need an awesome Gintama game and its just a perfect fit all around.
Dirty Pair, this makes too much sense as well.

New suggestion, Nichijou? There is a tonal shift between goofy melodrama to over the top violence, plenty of story and side activities potential. Tight location with plenty of characters to draw from.

Since the games are so tied into their locations and I don't see the team putting in multiple huge locations I don't know about some of the other suggestions in here.

cephus

Oct 28, 2017
My dream is a wrestling-themed Yakuza game. During the day you run around whatever city the game is set in, training and selling merch to buy gear, and by night you have wrestling matches with over-the-top heat actions for all your special moves. I feel like this could actually happen at some point since the Yakuza studio has done collaborations with New Japan Pro Wreslting before. Maybe some day.

OP
OP
Giant Enemy Crab
Apr 21, 2018
My dream is a wrestling-themed Yakuza game. During the day you run around whatever city the game is set in, training and selling merch to buy gear, and by night you have wrestling matches with over-the-top heat actions for all your special moves. I feel like this could actually happen at some point since the Yakuza studio has done collaborations with New Japan Pro Wreslting before. Maybe some day.

Jeffry, Wolf and Kage canno wait for new bones to crush...

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yes to Gintama or Cowboy Bebop. Both would be an amazing fit. I also think Bladerunner set in Tokyo would work very well and we already have a detective example with Judgement.

However (best is for last), Yakuza x Marvel Cinematic Universe is where its really at. Kyryo would naturally be Captain A :P. "I understood that reference" meme fits him to the T.