• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
In my lower moments I don't look for games that will "make me happier" but instead games that will immerse me such that any low-feelings are masked or unnoticeable. Typically these are games that have several deep mechanics and let you makes interesting choices. Things like Civ, Crusader Kings or a good long JRPG with too many systems will pull me into a state where I'm not thinking about how bad I feel.

I actually find if I play games that are obviously "super happy" games that it jars too much with me internal state - I'm trying too hard.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4 golden on the vita helped get out of a year long depression losing what i thought were my best friends at the time and taking away from me an indie game project which was a dream game for me (it was a black and white cartoon adventure game, that had an indiegogo just a month before cuphead did the kickstater, in fact after their kickstater finished i talked with Chad through skype multiple times, as he loved our game and we were talking on how to help each other, that was one month before I wasnt in the project anymore. And let me tell you, Chad is one of the nicest guys ive talked to, becuase he continued without needing to, talking with me after that and he always remembered to send me a nice message to see how i was).

At the end i was validated and they never finished it, and now im an art director on a game studio and none of them work on anything creative anymore.

But yeah those last few months (the first ones i couldnt even wake up from my bed and keep crying with a sensation i could never stop, which fells horrible and undiscreptible), I bought a second hand vita with persona 4. And played the game on my bed, and little by little it started to put me up in spirits, and me getting up and trying to call some old friends i havent talked in years. SO it helped me a ton and i will always be grateful of it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Games with life/dating sim elements or RPGs with a party of characters with such strong companionship that I treat them as if they're my friends.

Examples include but not limited to:
Fire Emblem (Awakening, Fates: Birthright, and Three Houses touched me the most)
Tales of Symphonia
Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons
Persona

Then, once the game is over and I've played it over again a few times, or I get bored with it, I go back to being depressed.

Last edited:

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
The Souls games for sure like many already recommended.
Id add the recent Assassins Creed games, gets me immersed enough to have my mind at ease during harder times.

Last edited:

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Exercise works for me, for those interested. I know it feels like a cop out what the doctor recommends it and your like "THAT'S what your prescription is?".. But it helps.

I get onto my bike and pedal for miles. Or absolutely batter a boxing bag until I fall over.

Games-wise, I play something really easy. Anything in easy mode. But last time I really was helped by The Touryst. I kept being amused by it all the way through.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Stardew Valley for sure. Heck, my former housemate used to suffer depression and just watching me play it helped a lot.

Trails In The Sky also got me through a very rough patch in my life at one point.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Games that make me laugh ussually help me in my bad moments, though I agree that games that make you focus also help. Full Throttle, Brutal Legend, Anachronox and recently Guardians of the Galaxy and the Artful Escape could help you.

That said, the last game that I played obsessively during a certain anxiety crisis recently was Tetris 99. I ended up getting drunk on beer while playing and frying churros at 2am, and my girlfriend was horrified thinking I had hit a new low but I actually felt really good in that little escapade and my therapist, while she did not agree with me frying churros and getting drunk, did approve of the general idea as Tetris is the kind of game you play without thinking, just "feeling" sorta and helps you concentrate in a positive way. Apparently, Tetris has been researched to help with mental health (at least, google dixit), so it might be an interesting idea to try. Both Tetris 99 and The Tetris Effect are relatively new, exciting versions of the classic.

Hope you feel better!

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I feel games that either immerse you fully in a challenging experience, or those that have mechanics that transmit constant growth, are amazing for when I'm down:
  • Racing games that feel more than a string of successive races stringed together, such as F1 Codemasters' career mode and My Team modes or Blackbox open worlds NFS games / Heat. You not only are super into the challenge on track but see consequences of your decisions outside of racing.
  • Games with a building aspect inserted into their other loops, such as No Mans Sky, Fallout 4, Two Point Hospital... There's a pretty cool feeling of progress through growth and you can just choose to lose yourself in one particular loop for hours.
  • Challenging and replayable campaigns that you know like the palm of your hand but allow for enough variation to be fresh upon replays. I remember replaying Halo 3 on legendary a lot because that game just "flows" and encounters change radically depending on what weapons you are carrying or what strategy you chose to put into practice.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Games that make me laugh ussually help me in my bad moments, though I agree that games that make you focus also help. Full Throttle, Brutal Legend, Anachronox and recently Guardians of the Galaxy and the Artful Escape could help you.

That said, the last game that I played obsessively during a certain anxiety crisis recently was Tetris 99. I ended up getting drunk on beer while playing and frying churros at 2am, and my girlfriend was horrified thinking I had hit a new low but I actually felt really good in that little escapade and my therapist, while she did not agree with me frying churros and getting drunk, did approve of the general idea as Tetris is the kind of game you play without thinking, just "feeling" sorta and helps you concentrate in a positive way. Apparently, Tetris has been researched to help with mental health (at least, google dixit), so it might be an interesting idea to try. Both Tetris 99 and The Tetris Effect are relatively new, exciting versions of the classic.

Hope you feel better!
Less thinking and more feeling is definitely what works for me I think. So games that I can kinda vibe with like Katamari Damacy or Sayonara Wild Hearts seems to work. You can get just sucked into a world of good music and simple but stimulating gameplay and just do your thing for a while.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Stardew Valley. The meds made me don't want to leave the bed, but Stardew made me get up to pick a notebook to plan my farm. Also, Alex best husband.

It felt like I had a life, it was nice.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Persona 5 Royal.

It is such a relaxing and laidback game. The music also helps too.

I adore that game to bits, so it always makes me happy to play it, no matter my mood.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Arkane's Prey is like therapy for me. It's probably a strange answer, but I just love that world and that gameplay and how the game reacts to your decisions. You can really mold your experience.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Souls games. They all share this conceit of perseverance and triumph against seemingly impossible odds. Not just in terms of gameplay but story and themes as well. DS1 helped pull me out of a funk before I ever realized I was dealing with depression.

Games that challenges me mechanically/mentally. FGs and Racing Games and the occasional Apex Match. They help ground me and reconnect with my body and feeling and movement, even on the smallest level. Though, as of late, I've found these to be a bit much after a while. But when they're working it helps me turn my brain off from everything else and just be there with the game.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Long jRPG's, especially Dragon Quest X, FFXII and Persona 4: Golden.

Edit: and FF Tactics and the original Phoenix Wright Trilogy.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Stardew Valley is my go-to for feel good moments and peace of mind. Just a wonderful game, from graphics to music to the surprisingly robust cast of NPCs.

Other than that, Mario World, perhaps surprisingly. It's just a colorful, fun stress free platformer that's not too hard but can still hold my interest and feels like a fun adventure.

Oct 27, 2017
Souls games, honestly. They've gotten me through some pretty difficult times.
;___; this X 1000000 i just beat elden ring last month and haven't played squat since :/ the sadge is real... im an amendment non double dipper I dont rebuy shit ive played already.. even if i could get it on pc and mod it.. the first time through is gone... :/ so all these sales all the time do me no good. and every new game just fucking gets delayed..

rain-sad.gif

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with depression is that I can't always muster the strength to actually start a game. That's the first difficult step. Once I've started it, I can actually play and keep forgetting for the time being. But taking that first step is so difficult when suffering from depression. As for specific games: Tough to say for me personally. Often it's something where I can take my mind off things and perhaps just play from muscle memory alone. Tetris is a good game for that (especially Tetris Effect) but also games like Rez or just regular shmups. I would also include fighting games, but then it's mostly just singleplayer, not multiplayer against other people. In singleplayer I don't really have to think too much about my game plan or combos and whatnot. Multiplayer would be too stressful for me sometimes, but I can see how it could potentially help too. Racing games are a good way to take my mind off everything as well. Just doing laps and long races in Gran Turismo for example.

Narratively driven games are a double edged sword for me while suffering from depression though. If it's a game that's let's say 90% narrative without much gameplay, I can't really do it. But if it's let's say a RPG where I can just grind away (and don't have to think too much about builds etc.) then it's a great way to sink into a different world. And the interactions between the characters can actually help me to feel better, at least temporarily.

Since I mentioned games where I can just take my mind off and play with muscle memory alone, I completely forgot to mention brawlers like Final Fight or the new TMNT game. They don't really cure my depression so to say, but they can help me just doing something other than doing nothing. If I have the power to actually start them that is. Music plays a huge role for me during depression (or literally any other moment in life), so I often find myself playing a specific set of songs in rhythm games. Mostly songs that are moody. The DJ Max series has some fantastic songs for that. Again, not really a cure, but it helps me to distract myself at least a little.

bigturkey

Mar 16, 2022
I've sturggled with depression for the last 13 or so years and I honestly think that videogames can be such a wonderful escape and release for me when I'm feeling particularly low or despondent. Personally, I really like games where I can lose myself in the world, so RPGs with considered worldbuilding and rich enviornments really help to absorb my conscious mind and allow me to process things on a subconscious level. Bethesda and Obsidian RPGs, specifically New Vegas and Oblivion/Skyrim are great for me, and though it's not an RPG, Red Dead Redemption 2 is just wonderful because the world is so beautifully crafted and I often spend hours just riding around, speaking to NPCs and playing cards haha.

On a slightly different note, Spider-Man 2018 and Miles Morales are games where I can switch my brain off and just swing around with no real purpose in mind, just thwippin' around the map and occassionally swinging in and taking cae of business.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Spider-Man PS4 and Miles, whenever I'm swinging my problems momentarily go away...Then they come back shortly after but those games are blessings.

Souls games were another of my go tos, but I think Elden Ring made me more depressive than I already was so I don't think they work anymore

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
FFXIV. Just log on and fish/gather/craft, or fly/run around in the zones. Or spend time making different glams. Perfect game for when I'm depressed or numb.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I was once completely out and souls games brought me back in. I can just replay whichever I haven't in a while when in a slump and be lost.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man PS4 and Miles, whenever I'm swinging my problems momentarily go away...Then they come back shortly after but those games are blessings.

Souls games were another of my go tos, but I think Elden Ring made me more depressive than I already was so I don't think they work anymore
I'm glad you mentioned Miles Morales! I need to play that now that I've finished the first game. It is the right length for the kind of mood I'm dealing with. Short games are a lot more doable for me than longer ones right now.
FFXIV. Just log on and fish/gather/craft, or fly/run around in the zones. Or spend time making different glams. Perfect game for when I'm depressed or numb.
I used to enjoy fishing with friends, but they've all either quit the game or left Ultros sadly. I only resub for patches these days.

Jun 4, 2019
I feel ya OP. I got to a point where killing things at all (even Souls games) was too much. The Katamari games are a solid choice, as it's hard not to smile while playing those games. Personally, I also like puzzle games (Portal series, Superliminal, The Witness, The Talos Principle, etc.) when the times are rough.

I also recently played a couple of indie games (Lake and Firewatch) to get away from the killing. Lake is repetitive but I enjoyed living vicariously through Meredith's life. Firewatch is a bit darker, but I found the story and dialogue riveting and it took my mind off the hell that is our world right now.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm glad you mentioned Miles Morales! I need to play that now that I've finished the first game. It is the right length for the kind of mood I'm dealing with. Short games are a lot more doable for me than longer ones right now.

I used to enjoy fishing with friends, but they've all either quit the game or left Ultros sadly. I only resub for patches these days.

I know the feel, all my in game friends left for Faerie/Jenova. I like my FC enough to not leave Leviathan, but I miss them.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight. I know the game has a sad/depressing tone, but I feel uplift when I play it, I can't explain it...

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
Destiny for me. The mindless grinding and superb combat/gunplay/feel of the overall game takes my focus away from my depression. Although, I can potentially make the argument that my addiction to Destiny is one of the causes of my depression (but that's an argument for another time), it certainly helps me escape reality.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Just Dance does it for me if I can force myself to start it up. But then I can end up playing for hours

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
All of them, really. It's a whole thing.

But the last 6 months have been especially terrible and I've just been absorbed into Fallout and Skyrim -- big open worlds to just do whatever and always feel like I'm making some sort of progress without any pressure of time or even the need to drive a narrative. Skyrim in particular, I just find these beautiful spots and just take a minute to chill there and escape form the hellscape we all live in.

Apr 10, 2018
I identify with the posters that say even starting up a big game is tough when you're dealing with this. I've really liked more arcade style games for this reason. Metal Slug 1, Metal Slug X, and Streets of Rage 4 are recent examples. Also, Art of Rally is a great example of something that's been very much gaming comfort-food to me.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Katamari Damacy has been helping me since '05 to cope with with bouts of depression (I'm bipolar) and/or awful life events. The sound effects that everything makes when rolled up acts like a stress ball. The music, funny dialogue and visuals are the purest things I've ever experienced in a game. Obviously there's no insta-cure for depression but KD is my go-to coping mechanism.

It's a shame that KD1 is the only game in the series available on current/last gen and PC. The sequel and PS3 game go even further with the game mechanics and vibes.

Stupidly just realized OP plays Katamari so, other games I use are beat 'em ups due to the mindlessness (I'm talking arcade beat em ups) or something like a NDS Igavania. Animal Crossing: New Leaf came in clutch for a truly dark time in my life as well.

Last edited:

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Animal Crossing while I'm still invested. Once I hit a certain point though I stop playing.

Celeste snapped me out of a funk a few years back.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I install a FROM game. Those games' required constant situational awareness, combined with their weary-world 'everything sucks but you gotta laugh' vibe really do it for me.

For my spouse it's Stardew Valley, which she has put many hundreds of hours into over 4(?) playthroughs.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Stardew Valley as already mentioned several times is a great shout. I would also recommend Factorio, as it is very satisfying (for me at least) to tinker with games that require full attention and can be very all encompassing. Not many games gets me that hooked and in focus like that does.

If you want something more leisurely paced and open world, I would recommend Red Dead Redemption 2. Even if that isnt exactly a happy game, its really nice to just experience that world beautifully rendered. Riding out in the wilderness, doing some hunting or fishing and just soak in the amazing details and music.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Kingdom games tend to do it for me. They're perfect multitask games and super addictive so I pop it on, build my kingdom while listening to podcasts, and it's usually pretty good at resetting my brain.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't tried it before, I'd really recommend Wandersong. It's a very wholesome indie game, and one of the games that has made me feel the happiest while going through it.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Civilization 6 or Cities: Skylines worked the best for me recently. No big task that seems undoable when already down so you don't even start und a near endless series of small decisions and actions that get you in a flow.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 and diablo 3 are my go to's. Witcher 3 is just like a nice hug at this point every time i boot it up.

I'm drawn to Diablo 3/Grim Dawn/ARPG's when im feeling depressed because that rythym of planning a build and then executing it is something i crave. Its tied with goal-setting and achieving i think.

Nov 14, 2021
Thank you for this thread and for all of the responses so far. For some reason I've been going through a real depressive rough patch for the past 6 months. It's mostly because of work. This list might help me get through it.

A few months ago I took a stress leave for a couple weeks. I played through the second half of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest and really, really enjoyed it. I need to give the other parts of the trilogy a go as well.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a really good recommendation and one I've been eyeing up for a while. I'm currently playing Dragon's Dogma and it is a wonderful adventure as well - but I keep dying and that can be a struggle.

It might be time to go back to Stardew Valley, too.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Farming games are great for this. Story of Seasons, Harvest Moon, Stardew. Especially more recent ones where you are more task oriented in terms of progression. You go, "this is my next goal" and work towards it at your pace, leisurely.

Souls games are good for me too, but I can see how they'd further frustrate others.

StayPuft

Banned
Jun 7, 2022
Dark Souls 1 for me. Played through so many times, it's very cathartic being able to completely own that game and it's bosses. It makes me feel in control of my life again. Also for me the atmosphere just pulls me in every time, and locks me away from the world for a little while.

EDIT: I'll throw in for Yakuza and Divinity Original Sin 2 as well