• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Something I'd like for Part II is a "support gauge," a single ATB gauge that fills like ATB and can be used to swap party members mid-combat, call in a special attack from sidelined characters or execute combos between two current members of the party (Cloud launching Tifa off the flat of his sword, Aerith enchanting Cloud's sword with magic, Tifa and Aerith breaking out folding chairs like a tag-team match...) . Obviously throw in some materia / accessories to tweak how it works. Temporarily replaced with the summon gauge in boss battles.

This is combat speculation stuff but the key to what makes VIIR's combat tick is how ATB works and as much as I love the combat I feel like it needed more clever ways to manipulate how it's generated and used. So I would welcome any and all weird bullshit they can wrangle into it

I always tell people to use the ATB assist materia and other purple materias to get the most out of the system, so I hope Square follow through and emphasise ATB building strategies more and give more ways to do it. Cause that's where the depth is in FFVII.

I also like the idea of some sort of dual and triple tech style Chrono Trigger shit, in which party composition would really start to matter.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
Knowing Nomura, it'll be 40 hours in the Kalm flashback. He'll say it was intentional, while trying to cover up his shit project management skills

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Actually what i would like to know is if we're going back to level ~5 or not. And if we keep the materias. And weapons and stuff.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Actually what i would like to know is if we're going back to level ~5 or not. And if we keep the materias. And weapons and stuff.
Could just say radiation in the singularity (Where Whisper Harbinger was) overloaded their Materia and they have to scavenge new supplies. Or some other throw away line if you keep talking to your party around Kalm's shops.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no ideas and I don't want any at this point. The first part was so phenomenal that I'm just along for the ride.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be cool if instead of Cloud, Final Fantasy VII remake starred a guy named after another another meteorological pheneomenon. Instead of having him just have a giant sword give him a big sword but the sword is also a gun at the same time. I'm thinking the game could start in a high school but it's a high school for soldiers.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Great ideas, OP. I love u
D'aww

1a850b2d1651b51e1704f3a27908b662.gif

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I guess there is some split, some people take it at face value and think Aerith may survive because they changed fate. I think the image of Zack surviving might be a red herring to throw you off, and they kill her anyway, which I wouldn't be a fan of personally.

I understand this perspective.

However I think the game so heavily foreshadows Aerith's death in FF7R that to defy destiny, but have no way of saving her, would just feel like a huge cop out.

Maybe Aerith dies at the end, maybe she chooses to become one with the lifestream and she doesn't have a traditional 'death' - I don't know, but something has to change in my opinion.

If it's 'Aerith needs to die' or 'there's some things you can't change' I can't describe how lame I think that is.

The only thing that would be worse is, if her death scene isn't changed at all and the groundwork laid in the first game doesn't get any real significant payoff.

A 'gotcha - don't you feel sad now after we gave you hope?' moment would be absolutely crap.

I also want the characters to acknowledge what the hell happened at the end of FF7R.

I've seen people say they want the cast to essentially brush past it and stay on course - but they've literally seen the end of the world as we know it, hundreds of years in the future and the death of a prominent character.

There's got to be scenes where they try to make sense of what it means. They've got to, at some point, realise what's going on.

Anyway, I don't want to make my post completely story-centric. I think there's room to make improvements to the combat, with the likes of team attacks. Just build on what's there because I love the hybrid battle system they've come up with.

I'd like to see the level design opened up a little bit too. I don't mind the linearity of FF7R and I'm not asking for an open world - but more 'wide-linear' sensibilities would be welcome.

Please let me swap out Cloud as party leader. Let me run around as Aerith and Tifa.

Within the cinematic framework created for FF7R, I actually felt SE nailed it. Hyper linear levels, slightly more open locations, combat arenas, mini games, etc.

Essentially, I want them to build off what's there and expand the play spaces. More post game stuff would be welcome too.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I didn't like in the XIII trilogy, it has all these alternate realities, and the world is reborn a couple of time, but for me it lacked human stories or 'heart' as they say, it was more about the concepts. I think they got to get that balance now they've introduced these concepts.
Yeah, I hope they tackle these new Remake concepts better than that. Hell, you could say the entirety of the FNC (all the FFXIII games, Type-0, even leaning into FFXV) were more about concepts than characters/heart. That's why I say it's good to sometimes rein it in.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Does anyone else want variety with the motorcycle riding and the chocobo riding? I was extremely fascinated with the way XV had chocobos and the world zone.
I feel like the thing i am most excited for for XVI and VII2 is just roaming the fields with behemoths and creatures big and small roaming dynamically. And just going back and forth fighting and exploring

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I actually want them to take it in a very different direction than the original. Same world, but there's so much potential there for something new and exciting. Some new characters. Different people live, different people die, Zac is alive.

Kingdom Hearts this shit.

Hell yeah. I want Aerith to lift up her poncho after the famous death scene and pull out a dented iron plate as heartless look on and smile.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
FF7r2 becomes a marvel cinematic universe experience. Marle in FF7r is the same Marle as princess Nadia from Chrono Trigger. Jeonva and Lavos are siblings. All sorts of other games start showing up too.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I understand this perspective.

However I think the game so heavily foreshadows Aerith's death in FF7R that to defy destiny, but have no way of saving her, would just feel like a huge cop out.

Maybe Aerith dies at the end, maybe she chooses to become one with the lifestream and she doesn't have a traditional 'death' - I don't know, but something has to change in my opinion.

If it's 'Aerith needs to die' or 'there's some things you can't change' I can't describe how lame I think that is.

The only thing that would be worse is, if her death scene isn't changed at all and the groundwork laid in the first game doesn't get any real significant payoff.

A 'gotcha - don't you feel sad now after we gave you hope?' moment would be absolutely crap.

I also want the characters to acknowledge what the hell happened at the end of FF7R.

I've seen people say they want the cast to essentially brush past it and stay on course - but they've literally seen the end of the world as we know it, hundreds of years in the future and the death of a prominent character.

There's got to be scenes where they try to make sense of what it means. They've got to, at some point, realise what's going on.

Anyway, I don't want to make my post completely story-centric. I think there's room to make improvements to the combat, with the likes of team attacks. Just build on what's there because I love the hybrid battle system they've come up with.

I'd like to see the level design opened up a little bit too. I don't mind the linearity of FF7R and I'm not asking for an open world - but more 'wide-linear' sensibilities would be welcome.

Please let me swap out Cloud as party leader. Let me run around as Aerith and Tifa.

Within the cinematic framework created for FF7R, I actually felt SE nailed it. Hyper linear levels, slightly more open locations, combat arenas, mini games, etc.

Essentially, I want them to build off what's there and expand the play spaces. More post game stuff would be welcome too.
They show glimpses of Aerith's death but out of context. It seems they're trying to keep her death mysterious for new players, but throw some visions and misdirection (Zack surviving) to throw veterans off.

I watched a bit about that pod cast with Easy Allies, and they were saying how Aerith's death should be a constant, that they try and amplify the pain by giving the player false hope. It's easy to make things nastier and sadder.

I agree with you and think VII was a hopeful story in many ways, the ending of VII suggested humanity survived when you heard children laughing over the credits.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
They show glimpses of Aerith's death but out of context. It seems they're trying to keep her death mysterious for new players, but throw some visions and misdirection (Zack surviving) to throw veterans off.

I watched a bit about that pod cast with Easy Allies, and they were saying how Aerith's death should be a constant, that they try and amplify the pain by giving the player false hope. It's easy to make things nastier and sadder.

I agree with you and think VII was a hopeful story in many ways, the ending of VII suggested humanity survived when you heard children laughing over the credits.

I think we're on the same page.

While you're right that her fate is referenced, rather than clearly shown, I think it's alluded to often enough that SE creates an expectation.

From the various visions, to the confrontation with the whispers, to Aerith's own pre-portal speech and even the lyrics of Hollow,. And that's not to mention how they handle Zack and Biggs. It all points to something - what that is, who knows? But it just can't be the same, no matter what. It's got to be different in some way.

To be clear, I'm not in denial - it may well play out as it did all those years ago. But conceptually, I'd find that so disappointing based on what they released last year.

I won't repeat my whole spiel, I think everyone knows where I'm coming from. lol

Speaking generally, and to add to my earlier points, they've got to make some serious narrative progress in Part 2 for me.

I'm not sure you can string out a remake for over a decade - at least I hope they won't.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping Tifa takes the hit. Why do the remake if you;re not gonna change things up.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're on the same page.

While you're right that her fate is referenced, rather than clearly shown, I think it's alluded to often enough that SE creates an expectation.

From the various visions, to the confrontation with the whispers, to Aerith's own pre-portal speech and even the lyrics of Hollow,. And that's not to mention how they handle Zack and Biggs. It all points to something - what that is, who knows? But it just can't be the same, no matter what. It's got to be different in some way.

To be clear, I'm not in denial - it may well play out as it did all those years ago. But conceptually, I'd find that so disappointing based on what they released last year.

I won't repeat my whole spiel, I think everyone knows where I'm coming from. lol

Speaking generally, and to add to my earlier points, they've got to make some serious narrative progress in Part 2 for me.

I'm not sure you can string out a remake for over a decade - at least I hope they won't.
I have doubts. Like you mention Hollow, the lyrics about Cloud clinging on to someone who is gone, defeating the whispers.. might be Cloud bargaining with her death, in the 7 stages of grief. That might be their idea of progressing the story, until he reaches 'accepance'.

I would find it commendable if she survives instead and they try and evolve the character beyond being a sacrificial lamp. That scene outside Aerith's house, where she says "everyone dies eventually, we need to make the most of the time we have" if that is misdirect, foreshadowing Cloud's death in the final game in the series, then that could be quite a good twist. Maybe that version of Aerith, is the original incarnation, acting as a sort of guiding angel, until he can finally reach the lifestream. (at this point Aerith was in Shinra HQ) and ghost Aerith often appears outside flowers.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
They should probably just drop the "Remake" subtitle so no one is disappointed, because there's no way the follow-up is anything like the original game after that ending.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Zack better cross over and join the party.

I hope Genesis shows up to get that sweet salt.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Make Dirge Of Cerberus event happening shortly after recruiting Vincent. And also make it not suck.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
It's FF 7 Remake: Intermission

Just a bunch of gold saucer mini games.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I think I'd prefer to have a more focused Linear path leading to the next story section with bigger explorable areas and side dungeons on the way rather than a full on ff15 style open world. Like FFX or XIII but obviously more dense. Battle system I'd like them to see team combos like their introducing with the DLC so hopefully that stays.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that gives me hope this is taking in a direction I give a shit about is that Scarlett cutscene, which I'm pretty sure was foreshadowing the Huge Materia subplot? If they do a basically 1:1 remake like they did here but with timey-wimey hiccups I guess I could dig it, but at this point I'm doubting the next game even starts in Kalm.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Relatively linear map but with a few hubs for exploration and side stuff
Game ends in either Cosmo Canyon or Nibelheim
More grand changes to the overall story
Zack doesn't join the party but plays a small but significant role (maybe in Gongaga)
Teases that Aerith can live in the future (I think it's bait)

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
I hope they go all out for the Gold Saucer. Wall Market was my favorite section in Part 1, and I think they could do a similar but even better section with the Gold Saucer like OP mentioned.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that Active Time Events come back as they were in IX where you get to see each party members POV of different sights and scenes but some of them are important story forks. It will be possible to follow the classic FFVII story if you want but free up the writers to get as weird as they want in other story paths.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They should probably just drop the "Remake" subtitle so no one is disappointed, because there's no way the follow-up is anything like the original game after that ending.
They keep saying in interviews it's the same "overarching story" so I guess part of the story will be about having to learn accept fate. Imo that would mean the fate plot line was just a gimmick.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Remake was 95% true to the original, just massively expanded in places with more well-developed characters and places.

What I like about the ending of Remake is that it creates suspense about what happens next. Even if Part 2 is the same as the original, there's still suspense about possible changes. It gives you hope that certain characters will not die, for example... and then it will STING if/when they do. Just like the original!

It's funny, because if this was just a 1:1 remake, there'd be no surprises, and you wouldn't have the experience that the original gave you. You wouldn't get the emotional gut punches, because you'd know they're coming. But due to Remake's ending, we are uncertain, and we are made vulnerable again. We're here worrying about what will happen to Aerith, etc. It's brilliant.

Sephiroth gives us hope we can change destiny... so that he can give us despair.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing FFXV a lot lately. If FF7R Pt. 2 can capture a similar road trip experience where you adventure in beautiful open spaces with a party that has great chemistry -- with an improved version of the already great FF7R battle system -- it just might become my favorite game of all time.

The best aspects of FF7R broadened into a fully fleshed out open world. That's my dream game.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Condor will be expanded. The idea is the same but not a minigame. You help fend off attacks from Shinra forces which are lead by Roche.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Remake was 95% true to the original, just massively expanded in places with more well-developed characters and places.

What I like about the ending of Remake is that it creates suspense about what happens next. Even if Part 2 is the same as the original, there's still suspense about possible changes. It gives you hope that certain characters will not die, for example... and then it will STING if/when they do. Just like the original!

It's funny, because if this was just a 1:1 remake, there'd be no surprises, and you wouldn't have the experience that the original gave you. You wouldn't get the emotional gut punches, because you'd know they're coming. But due to Remake's ending, we are uncertain, and we are made vulnerable again. We're here worrying about what will happen to Aerith, etc. It's brilliant.

Sephiroth gives us hope we can change destiny... so that he can give us despair.
Disagree, I still find it emotional watching old films, even knowing what happens. I don't find it emotional if they try to be manipulative and do chessy shit like having you fight loads of Fate monsters, and showing Wedge/Biggs, Zack alive in a different universe. For me, Aerith's death isn't like some trick you do twice, the more you drag the suspense out, the less I care about her death.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, I still find it emotional watching old films, even knowing what happens. I don't find it emotional if they try to be manipulative and do chessy shit like having you fight loads of Fate monsters, and showing Wedge/Biggs, Zack alive in a different universe. For me, Aerith's death isn't like some trick you can pull twice, the more you drag the suspense out, the less I care.
My perception of your posts across multiple threads (and this is not a criticism, so please don't take it that way) is you are hyper-invested in Aerith living and finding justifications for it, which shows me the suspense that they're creating by dangling the possibility of altering fate is having its intended effect of making you anxious for new outcomes.

Whatever they do, then, you will have strong feelings about it -- and that's what they want. They have put you in a position where the reactions to whatever happens will be so much more raw than if we already knew for sure what will happen.

I love it so much.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think the fate plot is just a gimmick, it's about giving themselves a blank canvas both narrative and gameplay wise to do what they want with the next games. They will keep certain milestone events the same probably but vastly change a lot of other shit, eg Deepground will be part of part 2 and will probably be part of Vincent's story (which I guess will retcon DoC out a bit). Wishful thinking has people hoping that those characters are just side story content, but I would not be so sure about that.

What I think will happen is they try and merge some of the other FF continuity into a big mega game, starting with Dirge of Cerberus essentially being rewritten as part of the original plot. Like they are trying to turn these games into the main place to experience the whole story (and whatever big changes get made to that story)

I'd expect also to get some Before Crisis stuff, iirc Rufus backstory in that game is really interesting and is hinted at a bit in the first game, eg he put a hit out on his own Dad and got exiled for a while

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the fate plot is just a gimmick, it's about giving themselves a blank canvas both narrative and gameplay wise to do what they want with the next games. They will keep certain milestone events the same probably but vastly change a lot of other shit, eg Deepground will be part of part 2 and will probably be part of Vincent's story (which I guess will retcon DoC out a bit). Wishful thinking has people hoping that those characters are just side story content, but I would not be so sure about that.

What I think will happen is they try and merge some of the other FF continuity into a big mega game, starting with Dirge of Cerberus essentially being rewritten as part of the original plot. Like they are trying to turn these games into the main place to experience the whole story (and whatever big changes get made to that story)

I'd expect also to get some Before Crisis stuff, iirc Rufus backstory in that game is really interesting and is hinted at a bit in the first game, eg he put a hit out on his own Dad and got exiled for a while
I'd be cool with this. I think much of the Compilation can be redeemed with better execution, so if they can recontextualize that stuff in Remake with Remake's emotional core and high-quality writing and delivery, more power to them.

May 24, 2019
The team gets knocked out an hour in and you play the next 30 hours as Stamp the mascot dog in Cloud's dreams, then he comes to and it's a short tease for the next game.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I hope we get a little glimpse of it in intergrade as a secret ending or something. I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a game

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
My perception of your posts across multiple threads (and this is not a criticism, so please don't take it that way) is you are hyper-invested in Aerith living and finding justifications for it, which shows me the suspense that they're creating by dangling the possibility of altering fate is having its intended effect of making you anxious for new outcomes.

Whatever they do, then, you will have strong feelings about it -- and that's what they want. They have put you in a position where the reactions to whatever happens will be so much more raw than if we already knew for sure what will happen.

I love it so much.
I'm not anxious though, because I believe Aerith will still die. My point is more, I don't like the idea of emotionally maniputive storytelling when I defeat loads of fate monsters and then showing Zack alive, to give false hope. That wouldn't give me a 'raw' response. It would be a big meh.