• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You can solve the stories of From software games yourself if you put a lot of work into piecing it together. I put together the story of Elden ring without the help of any youtubers or wiki just by listening to the npcs and reading item descriptions. Sure it takes a lot of time and effort but it feels really satisfying to finally put the story together and it is a big part of the Souls games experience for me.

But I don't see a lot of people sharing my mentality, so I guess it is my controversial gaming opinion.

This is something the bugged me as far back as King's Field. OTOH I don't play games for story particularly. But it was sort of annoying that you'd get a scrap of lore somewhere and if you wanted it to make sense you had to have been diving through inventory screens and paying attention to the most obscure things. That said, I still loved those games.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is something the bugged me as far back as King's Field. OTOH I don't play games for story particularly. But it was sort of annoying that you'd get a scrap of lore somewhere and if you wanted it to make sense you had to have been diving through inventory screens and paying attention to the most obscure things. That said, I still loved those games.
Only occasionally catching glimpses of story is what makes the games magical to me. The implication of story is more powerful than a straightforward plot and is what makes me become fully enthralled with their worlds. I have no idea what is truly happening in any of their games and I don't really want to.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Only occasionally catching glimpses of story is what makes the games magical to me. The implication of story is more powerful than a straightforward plot and is what makes me become fully enthralled with their worlds. I have no idea what is truly happening in any of their games and I don't really want to.

That's fair. It's not a big deal for me because I can count the number of games where the story matters to me on my fingers pretty much. I resented the idea that I'd have to work for it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how controversial this is, but for all the complaints Xenoblade gets about it's low resolution, it's nailed World Design in a way no other modern JRPG I've played has.

It's clearly not a power thing, as FF has run on more powerful consoles and has struggled with level design for years with XIII, XV and VIIR.

The Xenoblade series' worlds are just so much more impressive even on "underpowered hardware," to an insane degree imo

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Not sure how controversial as I didn't follow the release and whatnot but I was rooting for Abby much more than Ellie during TLoU2

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
You absolutely can skip the first if you want, though I ended up completing it because it's not that long and there are some positive attributes in it. Plus it definitely makes the improvements in WOTW stand out.
Thanks. I'll play when in the mood and stick it out for now.

To elaborate, I just find it really hard to push through the floaty/slippery platforming, and the checkpoint system frustrates me. It feels like one of the worst examples of how death/loss on death is handled. Like, player failure is a massive part of the game (learning by doing), but wasn't given proper consideration in the design - if that makes sense. I get that it's trying to get the player to make their own checkpoints, but something about that doesn't really sit with me, especially when the resource is tied to other things...

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ok, seeing the thread about the list of games on the Playstation Plus new tiers.

I don't get the obsession that, what it seems to be, a lot of people have for old classic games. And i say that as a guy that still own old consoles and its games because i really like them and it's good nostalgia.
Like, i totally understand wanting them, wanting Sony to give everyone this option. Sure, there are fantastic games from the past and not eveyone had the oportunity to play them. But the extreme takes about it makes me feel like there are people that do not like where new games are going and that's why it's so important to have the classics?

I'm always looking forward to what's next so if i have to option of playing classic games i will love it but this extreme need for it is something i really don't grasp.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, seeing the thread about the list of games on the Playstation Plus new tiers.

I don't get the obsession that, what it seems to be, a lot of people have for old classic games. And i say that as a guy that still own old consoles and its games because i really like them and it's good nostalgia.
Like, i totally understand wanting them, wanting Sony to give everyone this option. Sure, there are fantastic games from the past and not eveyone had the oportunity to play them. But the extreme takes about it makes me feel like there are people that do not like where new games are going and that's why it's so important to have the classics?

I'm always looking forward to what's next so if i have to option of playing classic games i will love it but this extreme need for it is something i really don't grasp.
It's more about some of those games aren't available at all, even though Sony has complete capability to put them up. I don't care if they're in a subscription or individual purchases

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's more about some of those games aren't available at all, even though Sony has complete capability to put them up. I don't care if they're in a subscription or individual purchases

And i get that. Again, what makes people want these classics is not the problem i have with this matter, it's the intensity of that.
To sum it up, what makes a person enter that thread and say their offering is crap because of classics available (and the list is far from finalized yet)? Why is any of that more important to a lot of people than what will be available for PS4 and PS5?
This is what i don't understand at all.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

I think part of your problem is in this post itself. You seem to be of the opinion that newer is better and/or newer games are supposed to "replace" older games. Change your post to talk about books or movies instead and see how strange it actually is.

Nobody would bat an eye at people complaining that they want Citizen Kane or Jane Eyre to be available, were they for some reason not available anywhere. And definitely nobody would tell them to focus on new books/movies instead. I don't see why videogames should be that much different.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of your problem is in this post itself. You seem to be of the opinion that newer is better and/or newer games are supposed to "replace" older games. Change your post to talk about books or movies instead and see how strange it actually is.

Nobody would bat an eye at people complaining that they want Citizen Kane or Jane Eyre to be available, were they for some reason not available anywhere. And definitely nobody would tell them to focus on new books/movies instead. I don't see why videogames should be that much different.

To add to this, I also hate the implication behind a classic title not being available, which is certainly "we're planning on monetizing this more in the future." A lot of companies should have the stance Bethesda does where they just give you TES 1 and 2 for free. If they followed other companies' leads on this, then TES:Arena would cost $5 and would be delisted shortly before TES: Arena Remastered dropped.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Aright, I need to vent about this and I don't want to in the Final Fantasy thread because I feel like it would be borderline trolling. It's my goal to finish each mainline Final Fantasy game (and hopefully their direct sequels) before Final Fantasy XVI is released. I've just finished XIII, which I liked a lot more than I expected to. It has a ton of issues, but I think it's a super interesting game and I think it gets very compelling by the end.

On the other hand, I've just started Final Fantasy XV, which I've tried a few other times and always fell off after a few hours. I was hoping rgR getting the chance to play more, I would really start to understand the design decisions of the game and appreciate them for what they try to accomplish, even if they weren't my thing. Instead, I'm 11 hours in, and my opinion has gone from "a game I don't like very much" to "one of the worst designed action RPGs I've ever played". If I didn't enjoy the lead characters and their sense of camaraderie so much, I would drop this and my whole "complete all the mainline games" goal. The combat is boring, the enemy attack design is terrible, the encounters are mostly about throwing a bunch of shit at you (I was on a hunt and had three separate imperial ambushes occur during it) or spongy enemies (though I concede that I may just not know the optimal methods of damage), the magic system is like Final Fantasy VIII but worse, the open world is vast, empty and uninteresting, the side quests are largely a snooze but you have to do some of them to get your level up because the main scenario quests can jump multiple levels between them. It's just an unfocused mess, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, often considered the worst of the series, a hell of a lot more than this. I desperately hope FFXVI doesn't take much or any influence from it.

The saving grace is the story, but I can even narrow that down to say that its really the characters and their relationships, because the actual plot is disjointed and rushed. The Chocobros really feel like friends and it shines through and makes it worth experiencing as a fan of the series.

I know there are a lot of fans of this game and I'm truly glad you enjoy it if you're a fan, but goodness, I haven't had a AAA game frustrate me to the level this did in a long, long time. Maybe it'll get better by the end, like FFXIII did, but I'm doubting it at this point.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is often true but Wii and Wii U were not worth it to me

This is how I feel, but about the Xbox One. I also think I could have waited for the PS4 Pro since most of the PS4 games I care about released after it.

Everything else is worth it, though, including stuff like the NeoGeo Pocket Color and the Sega CD.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I didn't like Sonic Mania because I feel the game is visually unclear. On too many occasions it is difficult for me to differentiate what is part of the stage and what is part of the background. Also, I don't really like how Sonic is controlled, I feel very imprecise whenever there is something complicated platforming. It feels at times like one of those "Don't touch the controller, just enjoy how cool it is to watch the game move for you" Mario Maker levels.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
the most controversial part of TLOU2 to me was how Abby would casually snap people's necks, but not mine in real life.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Felt the same, that sequence where you have to fight Ellie that people found so difficult, I actually liked it, I found Ellie's vendetta frustrating at that point and she needed a bit of humbling.
On a similar note, I believe that boss fight to be one of the best boss fights of the past generation and I'm utterly baffled it's not mentioned more.

She's fucking terrifying.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Aright, I need to vent about this and I don't want to in the Final Fantasy thread because I feel like it would be borderline trolling. It's my goal to finish each mainline Final Fantasy game (and hopefully their direct sequels) before Final Fantasy XVI is released. I've just finished XIII, which I liked a lot more than I expected to. It has a ton of issues, but I think it's a super interesting game and I think it gets very compelling by the end.

On the other hand, I've just started Final Fantasy XV, which I've tried a few other times and always fell off after a few hours. I was hoping rgR getting the chance to play more, I would really start to understand the design decisions of the game and appreciate them for what they try to accomplish, even if they weren't my thing. Instead, I'm 11 hours in, and my opinion has gone from "a game I don't like very much" to "one of the worst designed action RPGs I've ever played". If I didn't enjoy the lead characters and their sense of camaraderie so much, I would drop this and my whole "complete all the mainline games" goal. The combat is boring, the enemy attack design is terrible, the encounters are mostly about throwing a bunch of shit at you (I was on a hunt and had three separate imperial ambushes occur during it) or spongy enemies (though I concede that I may just not know the optimal methods of damage), the magic system is like Final Fantasy VIII but worse, the open world is vast, empty and uninteresting, the side quests are largely a snooze but you have to do some of them to get your level up because the main scenario quests can jump multiple levels between them. It's just an unfocused mess, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, often considered the worst of the series, a hell of a lot more than this. I desperately hope FFXVI doesn't take much or any influence from it.

The saving grace is the story, but I can even narrow that down to say that its really the characters and their relationships, because the actual plot is disjointed and rushed. The Chocobros really feel like friends and it shines through and makes it worth experiencing as a fan of the series.

I know there are a lot of fans of this game and I'm truly glad you enjoy it if you're a fan, but goodness, I haven't had a AAA game frustrate me to the level this did in a long, long time. Maybe it'll get better by the end, like FFXIII did, but I'm doubting it at this point.

I kinda disagree that it's unfocused. I think the game contextualizes the road trip aspect quite well. It's essentially Noctis' training to become king. Noctis survives, learns life skills, helps people, while gets helped/protected by his bros.... I think it makes quite a lot of sense, actually. It's a great progression because its not just the numbers that go up, but Noctis as a person matures throughout the game. But yeah, the side quests in general are awful. Go find dog tags. Go find 5 red frogs. Now find 5 blue frogs. Go find minerals for a.... journalist... just because. I do like the hunts, because, well.. they don't really need much of a narrative.

I think on a macro level the game is pretty repetative with its open world stuff but on a micro level I usually find it entertaining enough to actually engage with it instead of just rushing the story. I love listening to FF soundtracks while driving, I love the focus on cooking and how food buffs are actually big in this game unlike in most rpg's, which makes gathering feel a little more meaningful than in most similiar games... I love the random little unexpected moments like Ignis asking you to help with cooking breakfast or Prompto asking to take a picture, I love how the game integrates photos into the gameplay in such a cool way - seriously, i think this is still the absolute peak of this in videogames, the photo mode is literally canon, love going through the pics Prompto takes automatically because sometimes he strikes gold, or just searching for cameos, of the easter egg characters.
Or well, my favorite, which is just the random banter. Sometimes repetative, but there's actually quite a lot of unique stuff depending on the location/quest.

That being said, I think the game bleeds from a thousand cuts. As much as I like it (i really, truly do), it has a massive amount of small flaws and weird design decisions. The combat is, well, something. I didn't mind it in general because my peanut brain enjoyed the flashy animations, but it is incredibly messy, and the game does an extremely poor job at teaching the player of the deeper mechanics. But because of how potions work in the game, and how depleting your HP bar is far from the actual end, it doesn't even feel like the game actually cares about it.
Even small things like having jump and interact on the same button can get pretty grating after a while. I also really dislike how on rails the driving is, although you can get modifications later on to make it more free-form, but still.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
I don't know how controversial some of these are, but, here goes.

1. Atelier Ryza is insanely playable and addictive (only played Ryza but know about the series). If they had kept to their shojou roots and didn't otaku pander, then I think they'd be way more internationally viable with the right marketing.

Its a shame they have whored the series out for Otaku money because its core is really good.

2. Sakaguchi isn't the videogaming god people make him out to be. His post SE success is telling. Sometimes its a great team that makes great things and their success shouldn't be attributed to one person.

3. I don't think the Xeno games (Xenogears included) are that good.

4. I dont like The Last of Us and think its overrated. TLoU2 even moreso. Lots of gore doesn't make a story mature, if it did, hammer horrors would be mature, but they're some of the most immature stories out there.

5. The end (or twist) of Legend of Zelda - Links Awakening sucked and falls into one of the worst storytelling tropes going.

6. Speaking of Zelda, its about time she was playable. Even as a choose your character with different variations of the story, or switching between Zelda and Link.

Its not even woke to say so, shes the titular character, its weird that she isn't playable.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Not supporting a developer/publisher who has done heinous things with your money, but then choosing to pirate and play through their games anyways is hypocritical. You're still supporting them figuratively with your time, which could have instead been spent playing games made by indie developers who have done genuinely cool things for the world. It's still far superior to supporting them with your money, but you're basically having your cake and eating it too and showing no will power in actually taking a stand against them.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Contrary to an opinion posted here not long ago:

Will of the Wisps completely shits on what made the first Ori great and it's a worse game for it. One of the only times a prequel is for me better than its sequel.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Sony games are not so good lately.

Ghost of Tsushima, the two Horizons and Days Gone follow the terrible Ubisoft template of open world design. With that template you may get somewhat enjoyable games, but not great ones.

TLOU2 is basically misery porn. More worried about it's message that about being a fun experience for the player.

The Jack and Daxter games are mediocre as hell.

Spiderman was ok if you just follow the main story, because the side content was incredible bad.

The only really great game from a Sony Studio in recent years have been God of war.

Of course it's just my opinion, I understand that other people love their recent output.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017

Ghost of Tsushima, the two Horizons and Days Gone follow the terrible Ubisoft template of open world design. With that template you may get somewhat enjoyable games, but not great ones.

TLOU2 is basically misery porn. More worried about it's message that about being a fun experience for the player.

Spiderman was ok if you just follow the main story, because the side content was incredible bad.

The only really great game from a Sony Studio in recent years have been God of war.

Of course it's just my opinion, I understand that other people love their recent output.
Agree on most of these, except God of War 2018. That game was so boringly mediocre to play, especially when looking underneath that perfectly polished surface.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

Will of the Wisps completely shits on what made the first Ori great and it's a worse game for it. One of the only times a prequel is for me better than its sequel.

A bit of a nitpick, but the use of the word prequel in this context is incorrect. Prequel is exclusively used to refer to a piece of media that comes out after an existing work, but whose events take place before said existing work. The word predecessor would be more appropriate here.

Sorry, I'm being pedantic. :P

Agree on most of these, except God of War 2018. That game was so boringly mediocre to play, especially when looking underneath that perfectly polished surface.

Agreed. GoW 2018 was a very well-polished 7/10 game. I know a lot of people say Sony took a big risk with the franchise, but I really don't see it that way. For me it was one of their safest games of the last generation. It was always going to be successful.

Hell yes. I love the Spider-Man games (2018 and Miles), but in both I would have been content with them being more linear games. The side content was dreadfully boring and cookie-cutter and as a result, the open world suffered for it. Web swinging was really fun, but once the novelty wore off, I had very little desire to spend time in the open world.

Last edited:

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I4. I dont like The Last of Us and think its overrated. TLoU2 even moreso. Lots of gore doesn't make a story mature, if it did, hammer horrors would be mature, but they're some of the most immature stories out there.

6. Speaking of Zelda, its about time she was playable. Even as a choose your character with different variations of the story, or switching between Zelda and Link.

Its not even woke to say so, shes the titular character, its weird that she isn't playable.

4. I have never seen anyone say gore makes an story mature. At least not anyone over 12.

6. Zelda's Adventure does exists :P

Damn this one is scorching hot.

I agree but TLOU2 was a lot of fun for me. The combat system is awesome.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
A bit of a nitpick, but the use of the word prequel in this context is incorrect. Prequel is exclusively used to refer to a piece of media that comes out after an existing work, but whose events take place before said existing work. The word predecessor would be more appropriate here.

Sorry, I'm being pedantic. :P

No worries! I actually thought about that while writing the comment. I'm not a native english speaker so this helps a lot.

So it would be:

Prequel = released after, but the story is before X
Predecessor = released before (no matter when the story it tells takes place?)

That would make sense then. I thought there would be a shorter word as well for a "predecessor" but it seems there might not be?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Free to Play Fighting Games are the future and most fighting games that aren't Smash,MK and Injustice don't justify the 60 price tag for how little content there is in most fighters other then online and a basic story mode

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Inspired by the latest PS1 from PS+ screens, but this has been a long-standing issue for me.

Just adding scanlines and calling it a 'retro and/or CRT filter' is shit. It doesn't make old games look like they did on CRTs, doesn't recreate the CRT visual tricks, doesn't recreate the CRT colors, and honestly scanlines alone actively makes games look worse. At the LEAST add a bit of blur so it wouldn't be scanlines over a pixel-perfect image which just looks weird.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
4. I dont like The Last of Us and think its overrated. TLoU2 even moreso. Lots of gore doesn't make a story mature, if it did, hammer horrors would be mature, but they're some of the most immature stories out there.
The gore isn't what makes TLOU mature (and I've never really heard anyone say that it was). TLOU's deliberate pacing, thematic decision-making, and attempt at creating deep characters make it more mature than most games.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Inspired by the latest PS1 from PS+ screens, but this has been a long-standing issue for me.

Just adding scanlines and calling it a 'retro and/or CRT filter' is shit. It doesn't make old games look like they did on CRTs, doesn't recreate the CRT visual tricks, doesn't recreate the CRT colors, and honestly scanlines alone actively makes games look worse. At the LEAST add a bit of blur so it wouldn't be scanlines over a pixel-perfect image which just looks weird.

Hey I like your youtube channel, didn't know you were on here :)

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
"i can't use an emulator, it just doesn't feel right" people are funny to me, they're like "i need to smell the book" people

shit is all in their heads. especially when the official way they want is usually a shoddy in-house emulator with lame scanline filters or like in the case of the PS Classic, where they were using an open-source emulator anyway.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
1. Atelier Ryza is insanely playable and addictive (only played Ryza but know about the series). If they had kept to their shojou roots and didn't otaku pander, then I think they'd be way more internationally viable with the right marketing.

wasn't atelier Sophie fine in this regard?
I never tried this series but if I heard correctly. There are multiple sub-series within Atelier that each have their own theme and artsyle.
I think Ryza and its complementary games are the only ones who developers made everything thicc for the boys

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
In the grand scheme of Fighting Video Games.. Mortal Kombat is a mediocre to poor franchise......

Also: Horizon Forbidden West is a jaw dropping beautiful game even in framerate mode..

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

jak and daxter, a franchise that ended more than a decade ago is catching strays here lol

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
Games should be 60% mechanics 35% atmosphere(this includes music) and 5% story.

I agree with old John Carmack that stories in games are like stories in porn.

There are very little exceptions for this to me.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
wasn't atelier Sophie fine in this regard?
I never tried this series but if I heard correctly. There are multiple sub-series within Atelier that each have their own theme and artsyle.
I think Ryza and its complementary games are the only ones who developers made everything thicc for the boys

I've only played Ryza, but was aware of the series before. I think you're generally right, but creep-in was happening before.

I know Ryza irritated a lot of female Atelier fans, I'm in a number of HelloTalk language groups and one, a JP/EN Entertainment group, has quite a few female gamers. They were criticising Ryza for selling out for otaku money, and how they were already doing it, even before. Just Ryza was more direct.

When I played it, it was weird. Like, totally clean, very Shoujo in its style, but had really obvious pandering that worked against it. It was really obvious what they were doing and if I were a Japanese girl who grew up with this series, one of the few that were aimed at me, I'd be pretty miffed.

Also, if it didn't pander, and has an EN dub, I'd totally throw it my daughters way, I think she'd love it. It has potential, which I think is a little sad.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Games should be 60% mechanics 35% atmosphere(this includes music) and 5% story.

I agree with old John Carmack that stories in games are like stories in porn.

There are very little exceptions for this to me.
Ever consider that Carmack had a male-centered view on what porn is?

As someone who has worked in a bookstore there's a whole multi-billion dollar industry of porn called erotic literature that has plenty of story and videogames like Mass Effect would not be out of place as novelizations in that genre.