• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think you make a fair point. But the bold part is....

I don't know. Nintendo surely made some very smart choices after the crash, and it is interesting to dwell in the question how things would have been different if it was another company (SEGA, Sony, etc...) that hit it big after the crash, as you put it.

what I mean is I think you are not giving Nintendo enough credit because gaming was worse than a trainwreck at the time, and Nintendo was crazy enough to try and salvage it.

Not only that, they also did it very gracefully.

By the way, I am hardly a Nintendo player, I haven't played Mario since Super Mario World and never played Zelda, and my favorite Nintendo games are the Donkey Kong trilogy.

But I really appreciate Nintendo.
I appreciate that they accelerated things in the US but I have no doubt it would have come back at a slower pace with the advancements in computing and just how much of an interest gaming naturally garners. Atari made idiotic decisions and the arcades got saturated but people weren't going to hate quality games, especially kids, no matter where they came from

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of remastering and releasing WiiU title for the switch, I think they should move on and make a sequel. Like how much more Bayoneta can you recycle in 3 different platform

I'm talking about bayonetta 1 and 2 for the switch. And yes I'm aware bayonetta 3 is on the development as well

I mean do you think the Switch port is hurting Bayo 3? It's to fill time, give the Switch a larger variety of titles, and gives the people who missed 1 or 2 a chance to play it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I hate The Last of Us, the game just feels like such a rehash of a bunch of zombie tropes thrown in with a really bland "tough guy projects dead daughter onto orphan girl" story.
Not to mention the unsatisfying gameplay that boils down to moving objects so you can climb them.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
01101001 00100000 01100001 01100111 01110010 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101001 01110100 01101000 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110011 01110100 01100001 01110100 01100101 01101101 01100101 01101110 01110100 :)

Great. Now I can't get that Rush song out of my head.

(Not that it's a bad thing.)

I really want to get into Monster Hunter, esp. now that there's a fancy HD version on the streets.

But.

I'm just too much of a softie when it comes to beating up on the monsters.

I've watched a bit of MHW footage and the high-fidelity creature animations when they're close to death is just so sad to watch.

Too much for me.

It's a drag 'cause I really respect what the game is doing in regards to depth. The crafting systems and Souls-like combat look incredible. Art direction looks ace as well.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've really tried...like really tried...but I can't stand Naughty Dog's games. From my experience with three different Uncharted titles and The Last of Us, it's spectacle and story over refined gameplay and that's a cardinal sin for me. The worst part is that their stories are limping 30+ years behind tired Hollywood cliches, not even good movie cliches. Every time Nathan Drake opened his obnoxious virtual mouth to give me an incredibly obvious hint, I wanted to throw my controller into the TV. Trust me guys, your level designs do not require a hint system.

Again, I've never purchased a game with the intent of hating it and even somehow tried three times with Uncharted but I just don't get the fascination. Granted, they're gorgeous games, especially for PS3 games back then but that's pretty much all I liked about it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I've really tried...like really tried...but I can't stand Naughty Dog's games. From my experience with three different Uncharted titles and The Last of Us, it's spectacle and story over refined gameplay and that's a cardinal sin for me. The worst part is that their stories are limping 30+ years behind tired Hollywood cliches, not even good movie cliches. Every time Nathan Drake opened his obnoxious virtual mouth to give me an incredibly obvious hint, I wanted to throw my controller into the TV. Trust me guys, your level designs do not require a hint system.

Again, I've never purchased a game with the intent of hating it and even somehow tried three times with Uncharted but I just don't get the fascination. Granted, they're gorgeous games, especially for PS3 games back then but that's pretty much all I liked about it.

I agree with you man, they made (IMO) one of the best platformers ever (Jack & Daxter).
The games they made since (even though I did like Jack 2 & 3) have become worse and worse.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Nintendo's localization policies have eroded negatively because of fan whining. XC2 could have been a slightly more dignified game.

When a good game gets ignored, it's justifiable to blame the populace.

Star Fox Zero wasn't perfect, but it was a good game, and it's biggest weakness would carry over regardless if its controls were changed (namely, not enough variety in replays).

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a far better game than Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. The latter was by the numbers in every regard, with bad bosses outside of the 1st and 5th, and decent but unsatisfying puzzles. Next Level Games biggest strength is combat feedback, and it was used very well in FF.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I say this as a huge bb/souls fan and after some soul (lulz) searching: MHW has better melee combat mechanics.

This changes little for me though. I will still day one FROM software titles and BB is in my top 5 of all time for many other reasons.

MHW is quickly entering that list though.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The Evil Within 1 was genius. It had amazing art, lots enemy/boss variety, a good challenge, great encounter design and most importantly soul. The Evil Within 2 has none those and the shooting is terrible. I was able to pop headshots with ease on hard in TEW1 and in TEW2 it feels broken. They removed the strategy and the rewarding combat.

I am not shitting on TEW2 as I do in fact think its a wonderful game, but it ignores everything that made TEW1 so damn incredible.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land

They're the tip of the spear for games that you can comfortably play around non-gamers and not feel like you're playing 'geeky videogames'. That's where the fascination comes from, on top of them being good games that throw a lot of money on the screen.

Jan 25, 2018
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is a better SMT IV than the actual SMT IV.
Call of Duty games are pure sh*t
Snake Eater was the pinnacle of Metal Gear games
Mass Effect 3 was actually really good

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Playing on any console other than the Switch and being tethered only to the TV feels completely antiquated, boring, and downright tedious.

Oct 27, 2017
That Jim Sterling vid on game prices is bogus and I hate to see its argument being used without a second thought on this forum. Trying to argue that 'premium editions' and DLC make up for the fact that game prices have actually declined while development costs skyrocket in the past couple of decades is insane to me; for every person who buys a premium edition of a popular game, there are literally thousands of others who are buying them on sale or pirating them. It's such an ass backwards argument made to sustain the 'microtransaction bad' circlejerk.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Jim Sterling uses noises and mocking sounds like a bully child to make his argument, is really to the determent of his argument. Most of his arguments form yesterdays video are strawman arguments and based mostly on nothing but to re-enforce gamers anger and circlejerk of the big bad man!

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Jim Sterling uses noises and mocking sounds like a bully child to make his argument, is really to the determent of his argument.

I haven't watched the video in question, but this is why I stopped following his content and unsubscribed. I dislike his tone and I found that his almost perpetual negativity grew very tiresome, even if there were good points scattered in there sometimes. He seems to thrive on drama and, for example, seeks out the shittest games on Steam and and then complains about all of the bad games on Steam.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Sterling's microstransactions spiel has become a meme at this point. I miss his old days at the escapist, where everything wasn't hyperbole and pageantry.

Oct 28, 2017

Naughty Dog's best games were on the PS1. Crash Team Racing is by far the best game they've ever made.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Great. Now I can't get that Rush song out of my head.

(Not that it's a bad thing.)

I really want to get into Monster Hunter, esp. now that there's a fancy HD version on the streets.

But.

I'm just too much of a softie when it comes to beating up on the monsters.

I've watched a bit of MHW footage and the high-fidelity creature animations when they're close to death is just so sad to watch.

Too much for me.

It's a drag 'cause I really respect what the game is doing in regards to depth. The crafting systems and Souls-like combat look incredible. Art direction looks ace as well.

I get this. The time I had to kill a mossswine actually made me hurt a little inside. Dude was just looking for truffles, wasn't bothering anybody. I feel like if they gave him an annoying attack like the Kestadon I wouldn't have felt as bad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"cinematic experience" kind of games are only good for one playthrough

I don't think this is unpopular at all. I don't have stats in front of me but I'm pretty sure the majority of players don't play linear single player games more than once. For one I usually don't: some of my favourite cinematic games ever like Alan Wake, I actually only played them once.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think Yoshi is a lame ass character and I always wonder why he keeps getting his own games.

I'm playing Yoshi's Woolly World now in an attempt to clear my Wii U backlog and just started world 4. Already bored. The game maintains the traditional Nintendo polish so it's definitely not bad but is an uninspiring experience. What is the point of this character? He's essentially an underpowered Kirby. Basically the same concept but with a moveset that is entirely lame and therefore offers nothing really unique or interesting in terms of gameplay or level structure. That Nintendo is on the verge of releasing their new games so close to each other has me scratching my head.

Will try to finish this but I'm skipping the next one for sure.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
mS should throw shade at sony as often as they can for not allowing crossplay

Tarextherex

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I think Yoshi is a lame ass character and I always wonder why he keeps getting his own games.

I'm playing Yoshi's Woolly World now in an attempt to clear my Wii U backlog and just started world 4. Already bored. The game maintains the traditional Nintendo polish so it's definitely not bad but is an uninspiring experience. What is the point of this character? He's essentially an underpowered Kirby. Basically the same concept but with a moveset that is entirely lame and therefore offers nothing really unique or interesting in terms of gameplay or level structure. That Nintendo is on the verge of releasing their new games so close to each other has me scratching my head.

Will try to finish this but I'm skipping the next one for sure.

Good Feel isn't as good as Nintendo. Epic Yarn legit made me sleepy, can't play that for over an hour at all. Woolly World is good but not as good as Yoshi's Island, the greatest 2D platformer of all time. Yoshi's Story is the second best Yoshi game, another gem made by Nintendo EAD that Island fans hate for stupid reasons. Yoshi is about having more open design in your level rather than being obstacle courses. Yoshi is more powerful and needs to collect more things than Mario/DK. Kirby is more of a brawler than a platformer so not really comparable. Yoshi is milked because he's cute af so he sells well but aside from Island and Story the games are all outsourced, Good Feel is the most competent dev out of all of them though.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I really dislike Yoko Taro and he is trying too hard. I don't think I'm gonna buy anything from him in the future, even though I liked Nier A

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who buys Kingdom Come Deliverance may as well be giving money to Richard Spencer. You are giving money to a racist and are helping awful views become more prominent. You should be ashamed by it.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth

I agree 100%. I never thought the Last of Us was a 10/10 game (It was a 7/10 for me) and I've never cared much for Uncharted.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who buys Kingdom Come Deliverance may as well be giving money to Richard Spencer. You are giving money to a racist and are helping awful views become more prominent. You should be ashamed by it.

Tell that to everyone who was bought any Dragon Quest with music composed by Koichi Sugiyama.

I am not going to bat for Vavra but to me he comes across as a Twitter troll (as in, intentionally inflammatory just to see the reactions) than an actual racist.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Night in the Woods isn't that great. Nearly all of the characters are unlikable, especially Mae. Mae's parents are the exception.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am not going to bat for Vavra but to me he comes across as a Twitter troll (as in, intentionally inflammatory just to see the reactions) than an actual racist.
I'm not sure how a pretend racist is any better than an actual racist. Though seeing racist remarks online and assuming they're just pretending to be racist seems to be giving them an awful lot of benefit of the doubt in the first place.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nintendo's localization policies have eroded negatively because of fan whining. XC2 could have been a slightly more dignified game.

When a good game gets ignored, it's justifiable to blame the populace.

Star Fox Zero wasn't perfect, but it was a good game, and it's biggest weakness would carry over regardless if its controls were changed (namely, not enough variety in replays).

Probably lol

Fans whining about boob slider removal on Xeno X is the feedback they needed to justify Pyra's design, among other things.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is a better SMT IV than the actual SMT IV.
Call of Duty games are pure sh*t
Snake Eater was the pinnacle of Metal Gear games
Mass Effect 3 was actually really good

It's pretty sad how it's even considered controversial. Between the perfect mix of stealth unique elements like camouflage, survival stuff like animal hunting and great setpieces, atleast gameplay-wise MGS3 should be regarded as the best one.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Okay, here's one. There was a thread about games you want to see remade from Sony's owned franchises, then a spin-off thread for Microsoft's games, and looking at their releases, Microsoft, other than Bungie's games, have never produced a great game. Man, I wish Scalebound had happened.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad how it's even considered controversial. Between the perfect mix of stealth unique elements like camouflage, survival stuff like animal hunting and great setpieces, atleast gameplay-wise MGS3 should be regarded as the best one.
Here's one for controversial: I could see MGS3 as being the most mechanically bloated one. Phantom Pain is my favourite playing one, for the record. From MGS1 to 3 it felt like they were using the same framework and bolting on more and more to it, leading 3 to feel like a real mess to play. You have a lot of menu downtime, you have some clumsy pressure sensitive controls, you have d-pad and analog stick differentiation in movement, the game needed an entire new revision to come out just to make the camera feel more appropriate for the kind of game it turned into. I can appreciate the amount of stuff that is possible within MGS3's sandbox, but I just find it too sluggish and messy to actually engage with.

I really dislike Yoko Taro and he is trying too hard. I don't think I'm gonna buy anything from him in the future, even though I liked Nier A
I'm not a fan of his shtick of humble guy who wants out of the spotlight despite going out of his way being eccentric and attention grabby either.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, here's one. There was a thread about games you want to see remade from Sony's owned franchises, then a spin-off thread for Microsoft's games, and looking at their releases, Microsoft, other than Bungie's games, have never produced a great game. Man, I wish Scalebound had happened.
Never owned an XBox, but Cuphead, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Geometry Wars are the only games that look appealing to me across 3 generations.

Oct 28, 2017
Metroid Fusion is an awful addition to the Metroid series and misses what made Super Metroid so amazing. I couldn't get over how linear and narrative focused it was, yeesh.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I couldn't get into the Uncharted series at all, but loved The Last of Us. The Gamecube controller was the best controller made. I actually found Portal a bit boring and not fun at all IMO.