• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is being ruined by open worlds, complexity, rpg elements, gaas elements, and simulation over arcade.

LOL, you just described my favorite franchises of the past decade (Crusader Kings II, Farming Simulator, RimWorld, Fallout, etc).

If this thread proves anything, To Each Their Own is the rule of the day.

(Still one of my favorite destinations at ReEra though.)

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theres an ever shrinking segment of the gaming population that enjoys games for purely their gameplay. I feel the types of games this audience prefers have been in decline for many years and that the reason for the decline of games purely about playing them and the rise of games about experiencing them as narratives can be traced back to the success of the Playstation 2. This is why some people just cant get into Sonys games.

It's why I stuck with Xbox for a while. Give me the Halo 1-3 gunplay over any narrative game Sony has made any day of the week.

Oct 28, 2017
The dualshock 4 is the worst piece of shit controller I've ever used. Even the N64s grinding analog stick isn't as egregious as this poorly made junk. I've never been through so many replacements before. I just replaced a ds4 over christmas because my last one started to get bad deadzone drift, and lo and behold a new defect has reared it's head, this time it's isolated to my right analog stick, whenever I make light feather movements to the left it'll input as a wide swing instead. In the past 3 years I've gone through 5 dualshock controllers. Comparatively speaking I'm still on my first Xbox One Controller, my first WiiU touchpad, my first 360 controller, and my second DS3.

I'm starting to think I should go third party for dualshock 4.

Dec 15, 2017
LOL, you just described my favorite franchises of the past decade (Crusader Kings II, Farming Simulator, RimWorld, Fallout, etc).

If this thread proves anything, To Each Their Own is the rule of the day.

(Still one of my favorite destinations at ReEra though.)

Totally. I even acknowledge that im in the minority, and i guess thats why it can be considered a controversial opinion.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Super Mario Odyssey because I was overwhelmed by the amount of moons. I will admit that I had a completionist attitude while playing.

That's not a bad way to play... after you reach the end credits. Do only the main path stuff until then, grabbing whatever moons you find on the way, and then go ham on completionism. It's worth it.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Prices for console hardware are too low and people are conditioned to be cheap in regards to consoles. Paying hundreds of dollars for a new phone every couple years that is not much different than the last one is fine, but "399 or bust" for a console including a controller that will be the standard gaming device for at least 5 years. Yeah, sure.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying "NES saved gaming" need to shut the fuck up. There's no way you were properly following the industry in any country in the mid '80s, if you were even alive yet. If you weren't frequenting arcades and playing computer games in 1985, your opinion on this era does not count. If you haven't devoted a ton of time to studying video game history, your opinion on this era does not count. Just because you adore your Nintendo childhood, that doesn't mean you should be parroting revisionist history. This post shouldn't even be controversial but only is because the problem is an epidemic on message boards.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

MGS is VERY strong in the Story dept., as wacky and convoluted as it is.

But stacked next to the competition it absolutely sucks as a stealth game.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017

x2757.png.pagespeed.ic.9jh4qnqCGP.png

Oct 27, 2017
Prices for console hardware are too low and people are conditioned to be cheap in regards to consoles. Paying hundreds of dollars for a new phone every couple years that is not much different than the last one is fine, but "399 or bust" for a console including a controller that will be the standard gaming device for at least 5 years. Yeah, sure.

I think that's because videogames are still seen as toys and something you waste your time on. a $499 toy is way too expensive. $499 for a device that you will use daily and more or less you depend on is not that bad.

Splinter Cell>>>>MGS

A man of culture as well.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
all X Men games should be Xbox exclusive.

all games and franchises that start with X in the title should be only on Xbox.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
People saying "NES saved gaming" need to shut the fuck up. There's no way you were properly following the industry in any country in the mid '80s, if you were even alive yet. If you weren't frequenting arcades and playing computer games in 1985, your opinion on this era does not count. If you haven't devoted a ton of time to studying video game history, your opinion on this era does not count. Just because you adore your Nintendo childhood, that doesn't mean you should be parroting revisionist history. This post shouldn't even be controversial but only is because the problem is an epidemic on message boards.

NES definitely was a major factory in reviving the Videogame industry in the US, that's for sure. In Europe the Microcomputing craze was in full swing and Japan never saw any sort of crash in the first place.

Also dude, calm down.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Theres an ever shrinking segment of the gaming population that enjoys games for purely their gameplay. I feel the types of games this audience prefers have been in decline for many years and that the reason for the decline of games purely about playing them and the rise of games about experiencing them as narratives can be traced back to the success of the Playstation 2. This is why some people just cant get into Sonys games.

I agree 100% This is why you also have people begging for Dark Souls to have an easy mode. People don't want a sense of accomplishment or want to exert any effort. They want gaming to be casual, passive experience, like watching TV.

Oct 29, 2017

If general tastes bore that out, then everyone would just play on PC and there would be no need for consoles in the first place.

While that wouldnt bother me in theory, in practice, all that raising prices on the hardware would do is push more people towards mobile/browser games instead, or accelerate the push towards streaming services. Both of which would be far worse than putting up with weaker consoles.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Mario games since 64 are all overrated (they're like 75-80 in quality, not 95+)
Switch will have an OK 2018 followed by blockbuster 2019, not doing 20 million this year
Microsoft will be out of the console business by 2021
Sony should do another portable; a portable PS4
Anthem will do well and will be a good game
Monster Hunter World might hit 10 million by the end of the year
Playstation Move needs a lightsaber game
No Mans Sky is and always was a good game

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mario games since 64 are all overrated (they're like 75-80 in quality, not 95+)
Switch will have an OK 2018 followed by blockbuster 2019, not doing 20 million this year
Microsoft will be out of the console business by 2021
Sony should do another portable; a portable PS4
Anthem will do well and will be a good game
Monster Hunter World might hit 10 million by the end of the year
Playstation Move needs a lightsaber game
No Mans Sky is and always was a good game
I disagree with every single one of these, haha. Good job having controversial opinions :)

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.

I was preparing to enter high school in 1985. Is my opinion that the NES saved gaming valid because I was frequenting arcades and making my own games in BASIC, or is it just the sentiment being held by people who weren't there that makes this objectionable?

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is an awful game and the fact that it seems loved by the jrpg fandom honestly means that jrpg fans have low standards now. I guess the PS3/360 years really messed them up.

deoee

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have given up fighting against lootboxes and just accepted them to be a part of gaming nowadays.
I just don't have the energy anymore to rethink every purchase of every game that contains them when I just want to play...

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
After watching the Cooperation Cup, I'd say 3rd Strike is by far the best Street Fighter game to watch, but my god it needs a 4th Strike. I don't want new characters or stages, but rebalance the fuck out of that game.
I know, deal with it, adapt, etc. People have been dealing with it for almost 20 years. I just want to see the same amazing fighting engine in a fairer game.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was preparing to enter high school in 1985. Is my opinion that the NES saved gaming valid because I was frequenting arcades and making my own games in BASIC, or is it just the sentiment being held by people who weren't there that makes this objectionable?
Well, since you were there and aware that gaming was alive, I find it quite strange that you would think the medium of video games needed saving. It was pretty clear that computer gaming wasn't disappearing despite it being a weak year for console games. I called out people who weren't there because they make up the vast majority of people claiming video games in general were dead. It's frustrating to read all those posts when they don't remember all the new game releases back then. And my tone was harsh because it's the controversial thread.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Breath of the Wild is the most overrated game of the decade. It gets bonus points for being Zelda. If it was any other franchise, it would not be getting the perfect scores it got. I can't even get past a few hours of the game because the weapon degradation system is so freaking annoying. I really dont understand what people see in the game. It's even got the Ubisoft tower things. Except they take forever to climb because Link runs out of endurance every 3 seconds.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thermals and battery life are probably the biggest problems at the moment actually. But oh man if they pulled it off in a couple years it would be huge.
Yeah, I know Vita gets shit on (for some good reasons) very often, but if Sony said fuck it and released a Vita 2 with SD support, with BC with Vita games and say, PS3 digital games, I would be there day fucking 1.

But I don't think Sony can support PS4, PSVR and a new portable at the same time :/

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Yeah, I know Vita gets shit on (for some good reasons) very often, but if Sony said fuck it and released a Vita 2 with SD support, with BC with Vita games and say, PS3 digital games, I would be there day fucking 1.

But I don't think Sony can support PS4, PSVR and a new portable at the same time :/
That's why it has to be PS4P. The library is huge and getting more games. PS3P would do ok, but I would skip it and just go all in on PS4. It would make PS4 a 15-20 year platform.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Well, since you were there and aware that gaming was alive, I find it quite strange that you would think the medium of video games needed saving. It was pretty clear that computer gaming wasn't disappearing despite it being a weak year for console games. I called out people who weren't there because they make up the vast majority of people claiming video games in general were dead. It's frustrating to read all those posts when they don't remember all the new game releases back then. And my tone was harsh because it's the controversial thread.

I see where you're coming from. I don't use the term "saving" to mean it resurrected a dead industry, but more that it revitalized it to such a degree, that we're still skating on the successes of the platform without the prior market crash affecting the production and distribution of media.

Of course games weren't dead. I'd never imply they were. Computer gaming was still there, but it was so... outside the core, and not impacting much in the way of sales or general awareness. The only people that cared were people like us, who were still active in the home computing front. Arcades were still there, but I don't remember the same level of creativity that they had enjoyed from the late 70s to the early 80s.

I think my only objection to your original post was the implication that people who weren't there are unable to have an accurate reflection on that history because they weren't there, but then that renders the entirety of human history outside our capacity to comment due to none of us being alive for most of it. Which, of course, is ludicrous.

Was this brought on by the important console thread?

Prophyblakcis

Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock Infinite is one of the funnest shooters I ever played...a complete funhouse. And I loved the story

Infamous nailed gameplay and I hated the sequels

Assassins Creed became trash after Desilets left again

Horizon and the Witcher 3 are snoozefests with little (w3) or no (horizon) memorable characters

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why it has to be PS4P. The library is huge and getting more games. PS3P would do ok, but I would skip it and just go all in on PS4. It would make PS4 a 15-20 year platform.

So how would this work? Digital only? Flash memory and SD cards? If you think Switch storage is bad....

A portable PS4 makes no sense and it's never happening. I mean, unless you're talking about a laptop sized system or something. You're never going to see a PS4 in a Switch shell.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see where you're coming from. I don't use the term "saving" to mean it resurrected a dead industry, but more that it revitalized it to such a degree, that we're still skating on the successes of the platform without the prior market crash affecting the production and distribution of media.

Of course games weren't dead. I'd never imply they were. Computer gaming was still there, but it was so... outside the core, and not impacting much in the way of sales or general awareness. The only people that cared were people like us, who were still active in the home computing front. Arcades were still there, but I don't remember the same level of creativity that they had enjoyed from the late 70s to the early 80s.

I think my only objection to your original post was the implication that people who weren't there are unable to have an accurate reflection on that history because they weren't there, but then that renders the entirety of human history outside our capacity to comment due to none of us being alive for most of it. Which, of course, is ludicrous.

Was this brought on by the important console thread?
That thread was part of it. It was also the many years of people talking about it on the internet. I have always maintained the NES to be a hugely important system. It's just the notion that gaming wouldn't exist without it that I find ridiculous. Often when people say "saved gaming", that's what they mean.

I'm actually fine with people who weren't there discussing stuff. We all do that for some topic. It's just when people do that without proper research and just repeat what everyone else says, it can be frustrating.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a minority that believe that the NES saved gaming. It certainly saved the hime console market. Moreso in America, but overall the console market crashed and was not in a condition to recover without the NES.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Xenoblade 2 is an awful game and the fact that it seems loved by the jrpg fandom honestly means that jrpg fans have low standards now. I guess the PS3/360 years really messed them up.

i dont think its awful, 7/10 imo, but yeah its pretty unremarkable. the story is absolutely awful, especially if youve played another xeno game. I swear takahashi just repeats the same story beats every game. The worst thing even from a casual standpoint was that everything is incredibly predictable. all the betrayals etc. only times i dont predict something right is when its a situation that occurs because someone is completely out of character..

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
So how would this work? Digital only? Flash memory and SD cards? If you think Switch storage is bad....

A portable PS4 makes no sense and it's never happening. I mean, unless you're talking about a laptop sized system or something. You're never going to see a PS4 in a Switch shell.
Carts, Digital, microSD. Yeah I don't think the tech is there yet for a portable PS4, but the door is wide open for a couple years at least.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a big JRPG fan but I think the modern hardcore JRPG community overlaps with the anime crowd a lot... and that means they accept certain shitty elements very easily

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Games where the publisher disables a platform-level feature (i.e., screen/video capture, streaming) without an obvious logical basis should be blocked from release on those platforms. If something present in every other game on the market is a deal-breaker, then it should be taken at their word and have it be a deal breaker. I'm specifically reacting to finding out that 2K disabled all Game DVR functions for the Bioshock Collection, and previously I had been annoyed by the Persona 5 restrictions from Atlus.

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. The Tales series is mostly terrible
  2. Tri-Ace generally make bad games
  3. Media vision generally make bad games
  4. Contrary to GAF/ERA popular opinion, Legend of Dragoon is a great and interesting game
  5. The Wario Land games rival Mario and DK in platforming quality

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Warrior isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's not a good game but it's far from being one of the worst games ever made. I think my biggest issue with it is its length.
How so? As someone who doesn't play many JRPG's, I'm genuinely curious.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Carts, Digital, microSD. Yeah I don't think the tech is there yet for a portable PS4, but the door is wide open for a couple years at least.
The tech to do this with acceptable battery life, cooling efficiency, storage capacity, and consumer cost will probably not exist for like 8-10 years. By then, people will have moved on to PS5 or even PS6 and there will be no market for a portable PS4.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, PS4 games would now come on both discs and carts? Many PS4 games are close to 50GB and require patches that can sometimes stretch into 10+GB territory. How would this be handled on the portable side? Switch was created to be a portable/console/hybrid from the outset, unlike PS4, and it still struggles to deal with the issue of storage. Sounds like you're asking for a new PS4-level portable, not an actual portable PS4.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
So, PS4 games would now come on both discs and carts? Many PS4 games are close to 50GB and require patches that can sometimes stretch into 10+GB territory. How would this be handled on the portable side? Switch was created to be a portable/console/hybrid from the outset, unlike PS4, and it still struggles to deal with the issue of storage. Sounds like you're asking for a new PS4-level portable, not an actual portable PS4.
It might be technically impossible in the near future, but it would have to be a portable PS4. A PS4 level portable with no compatibility with PS4 games would flop.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed 2 is a bad video game. It's ugly, awkward, repetitive, uninspiring, bland, has bad combat and is plainly not fun. Since it's considered to be the best in the franchise by many, I have not played any others. I may give Origins a try though since they changed the combat.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The tech to do this with acceptable battery life, cooling efficiency, storage capacity, and consumer cost will probably not exist for like 8-10 years. By then, people will have moved on to PS5 or even PS6 and there will be no market for a portable PS4.
I think $399 is still their cap. Modern PC tablets have a lot more CPU and RAM than PS4 though not sure on GPU. But basically I think the tech is there but the cost is probably too high still. Sony has elite engineers though so I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen near term. I think a PS4 portable might be a bigger deal than PS5 too. We know they have unused portable patents. The ideal time to launch it would probably be the Switch refresh year, likely 2019. Then 2020 go PS5. So if we don't hear about it in the next 12 months it's probably not happening. Its definitely a controversial gaming opinion. :)