• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
The Last of Us and Uncharted are Naughty Dog at their worst. Both games barely have gameplay and rely on less than stellar narratives centered around one-dimensional characters.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The sooner streaming games is a distant memory the better off we'll be. It feels very, very much like 3D, no one wanted it, but you're getting it anyway. It's like people saw the success of passive entertainment like video and audio and tried to apply it to interactive media, without realising that physics and reality are completely against them. xCloud is just the next vapourware.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I don't think people should feel bad for getting ROMs of old games where no $ would go back to the developer if they paid out the nose for the original cart or disc anyway.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Soulsborne is the dumbest forced name I've ever heard - the genre is Souls-like.

Demon Souls came out six years before Bloodborne, and in the process, Dark Souls 1 and 2 were released before it too. Demon Souls defined the genre, Dark Souls exposed the genre to more people. Bloodborne is an iteration of Souls and shouldn't be attached because the genre was defined six years prior.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Sure it's a conscious decision to make the world traveral the key focus, but that's basically all there is. 120 shrines that are basically wiimote tech demos, 900 korok seeds that are mostly just an excuse to receive anything for that traversal.

Loving what is there is all fine and good, but there's not really much there. 4 Dungeons that are tiny and mostly just a big puzzle and a few secrets and interesting tidbits to find in the world.

They spent all their time on the world that they didn't do much to fill it.

I prefer the old style dungeons too, I'm just saying it wasn't rushed or tacked on, but rather it was a consequence of the fact that they gave you the tools to go anywhere and interact with anything in the open world. It was a trade off. In a dungeon you have to be more limited in how you allow players to progress, that's why the shrines and dungeons in BOTW had the artificial blue walls and stuff to prevent players from climbing, gliding, etc and the gameplay didn't work exactly the same in the shrines. By giving you all the items at the start as well, they had already deviated from the traditional zelda focus on each dungeon being related to progressing with 1 key item. They also wanted you to be able to take on any dungeon in any order.

This is also why the bosses were more like damage sponges than patterned based with a weakness related to the dungeon item.

For me, I loved the open world, but I've wondered if they might be able to marry the best of BOTW with the best of past Zeldas. I don't think its entirely necessary that they open up the entire world or make everything accessible from the get go. So in that sense they could make it more like a metroidvania, where they phase in connecting an open world together as you slowly acquire items in more traditional dungeons, and then when you revisit areas with new abilities there will be more secrets to uncover.

My point is that they put a lot of thought and planning into BOTW and nothing was tacked on or rushed, but that doesn't mean that the design decisions were always for the best.

Oct 25, 2017
Most Sonic the Hedgehog games have really bad music. I always see the claim that even when Sonic games are bad, at least there's still the amazing music, but a lot of what came after the Mega Drive era (plus Mania, obviously) sounds like extremely dull sub-radio-tier alt-rock.

The musical style changed completely with the shift into 3D, and while I can enjoy some of it here and there, none of it has the sense of fun or cool that the older games had. I think the new stuff is probably more in line with the melodramatic tone of the series itself, but I don't like that either, so it's not really any comfort.

I can appreciate people enjoying it on a cheese level, like a rapping Knuckles is pretty dumb and funny, but it's not good.

That's wild. Generations, Colors, Lost World, and Unleashed have stellar OSTs, not to mention the Advance games. There's some charming lyrical garbage (Sonic R) and some terrible lyrical garbage (Adventure), but nah, most Sonic games have excellent music.

Mario Odyssey was honestly pretty boring. The perfectly crafted levels of 3D Land / World are far superior to the open world of Odyssey

3D World is so, so bad. I've said it before in a thread like this, but Mario platformers got actively shitty from NSMB on DS through 3DW and NSMBU on WiiU. All of them are actually genuinely shitty games with poor level design. 3DW is designed for multiple players, and it definitely plays that way in single player. The game is utterly braindead in its challenge and creativity with such wide open levels; Champion's Road is the only part that actually has any worthwhile platforming, and most of its good ideas are actually from Galaxy.

I can't actually speak on 3D Land. Maybe that doesn't suck. Then again, if it's anything like 3D World, I can safely say that it sucks even without playing it.

For me, the stone pipe levels in Odyssey are easily the best crafted challenges in a Mario platformer in a long time, probably since the Special World levels in SMW.

The Last of Us and Uncharted are Naughty Dog at their worst.

I'd argue that there's not a "Naughty Dog at their best." My hot take here is that they've never actually made a good game.

Jak and Daxter 2 is passable, I guess. The rest of it, gameplay-wise, is sub-mediocre.

The narrative in TLoU is solid for a video game, but I don't think the Ellie/Joel relationship at the center of the game is as impactful as Clementine/Lee from TWD, which came out around the same time and took a lot of the luster off of Ellie and Joel's relationship (which to me is the only reason to play the game) for me when I played both games right near one another.

As far as Uncharted, I haven't bothered with 4, but I would argue that Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is a straight-up better game in terms of gameplay than any of the first three Uncharted games.

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, because removing an entire segment of gaming that is objectively improving the game industry is a good idea.

What's your next most controversial opinion, add mandatory lootboxes to every game because it's a good thing?

Why are you attacking someone for posting an opinion in the CONTROVERSIAL OPINION thread?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Why are you attacking someone for posting an opinion in the CONTROVERSIAL OPINION thread?
Controversial opinions are one thing. I find Silent Hill 2 to be quite bad in the modern age.

Controversial opinions that hurt the game industry are a whole different thing.

You'd see plenty of people responding in the same way if someone had actually suggested that lootboxes be added to every game, because this is still a forum for discussion chains.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
For the past decade Rogue-like mechanics have been abused by indie devs to artificially spread short linear games over needless hours of repeating and grinding.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Since all of my threads seem to backfire....

Nomad>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Game Boy

PSP>>>>>>>>DS

Vita>>>>>>>>3DS

The SP sucked.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
square puts orchestral music in their games not because it fits but because it makes their games sound expensive and fancy.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw Grounded and was shocked... Absolutely stunned that this game is being developed by Obsidian. It looks like an IOS game. Free of texture, fidelity and in short looks like Fortnites unwanted sibling.

These IOS esq XBOX games give me little hope about XBOX. THe game looks shamefully uninspired.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The Final Fantasy VIII intro is a bunch of nonsensical, incoherent trash with way too much going on.

Compared to the slow march of the Magitek soldiers into Narshe while Terra's Theme plays in VI or the star-filled intro of VII that swoops across Midgar and follows the train into its station, VIII's intro has always just seemed so messy and overly busy to me. But it sure gets brought up as one of the greatest video game intros ever and often people's favorite in the entire series, so it's probably my single most unpopular gaming opinion. Even people that dislike VIII overall often admit that the intro is the best thing about it (there was a thread very recently), but I certainly don't think so.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy tactics wasn't that hard, and became pretty easy once you got the calculator class and weren't afraid to do some kindergarden math.

Oct 28, 2017
Persona 4 Golden isn't even in the top 100 games on the Vita.
I agree with this but I don't like JRPG's. The parts of the game I enjoyed were the school sim portions of the game. When I had to actually go through the dungeon and the actual gameplay I was so bored and annoyed. But yeah I did like the characters a lot and had a lot of fun with the sim parts.

It's a good game even though I don't like the genre but yeah pretty accurate to say there's at least 100 games in the Vita's amazing library I like more.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
The best souls game - DS1 - is a 7/10 game.
All others, including Bloodborne are mediocre and any game that tries to ape their mechanics are worse for it.

Jak 3 was Naughty Dog's best game.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The best souls game - DS1 - is a 7/10 game.
All others, including Bloodborne are mediocre and any game that tries to ape their mechanics are worse for it.

I'd have to question that particular word.

What exactly is average about, for example, Bloodborne?

Can a series that has had such a huge impact on the industry be described as 'mediocre', even if you don't personally like it?

Can you point me to the slew of non-FROM games that preceded it that it averages out with? I really want to play them!

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A REmake2/3 style take on Resident Evil 4 would be an interesting, alternative take on a game whose overall formula of self aware cheese, bombastic action, and methodical encounter approach could not be emulated.

Moving and shooting with the strong encounter design philospht intact with a good underlying narrative could make for another excellent game of a different flavor to keep the original alive in its various remasters and HD mods.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont love re4, i think re5 is a better action resident evil game, but id love to see what changes an re engine remake can bring about. I think re4 has been outclassed by 5, 7, and RE2make

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
1. Retro Studios are in big trouble
2. Nintendo look on trajectory to fall behind Microsoft and Sony for the first time ever in terms of output quantity.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Microsoft can come out with the most powerful console next gen but without strong new IP's i don't think it'll sell as well as the PS5

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I know there's a lot of love for completely open and customizable systems in JRPGs with classes/equipment/spells, but I'll personally take a more guided system any day. Give me Octopath Traveler's job system over Bravely Default's.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I'd have to question that particular word.

What exactly is average about, for example, Bloodborne?

Can a series that has had such a huge impact on the industry be described as 'mediocre', even if you don't personally like it?

Can you point me to the slew of non-FROM games that preceded it that it averages out with? I really want to play them!

I think you can separate recognising/acknowledging the critical acclaim of an art piece and its influence on an industry with your own subjective thoughts on it, yes.
I mostly don't think about other people's opinions on a game when I'm playing, it's about my satisfaction with it.

Bloodborne has seriously good elements that are marred by its:
blood vial farming
frame pacing
Deliberately vague storytelling with a lot hidden behind item descriptions
shallow magic system
drab colours and, to me, an unappealing architecture style.
Not enough variety between areas.
Lanterns not refilling health/items so you are subjected to the fairly long loading times and not being able to teleport from any lamp to another.

So it's not the case of everything being average, it's that the good didn't outweigh the bad. I guess some more average games post-Bloodborne are stuff like the recent AC series, Ratchet and Clank reboot, Greedfall, BFV, Outer Worlds. But I don't like comparing games, especially in different genres and some 'average' games I might like more than other 'average' ones.
Still interested in Elden Ring though and I never played Sekiro which looks pretty sick.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
It could be 12 people or 220 people. that is not my point. It looks like an IOS game and I was shocked that even one person is working on that trash. It's absolutely shocking.
Not every game needs to have a realistic art style.... they said they chose this style in part because when you get really close to stuff, which is what it looks like when youre as small as you are in the game, everything starts to look really really gross so they wanted to make it pleasant to look at

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I just saw Grounded and was shocked... Absolutely stunned that this game is being developed by Obsidian. It looks like an IOS game. Free of texture, fidelity and in short looks like Fortnites unwanted sibling.

These IOS esq XBOX games give me little hope about XBOX. THe game looks shamefully uninspired.

To be honest, while the art style is childlike it suits the game that is being made (survival game where a bunch of kids are shrunken down into the size of ants) so a photo-realistic art style doesn't suit it but the wacky, vibrant color pallet with cartoonish characters and enemies does. Its a game made by a team of 13 and the devs themselves said it wouldn't have been viable for them to make prior to them being bought out (the wording implies its a passion project for the devs) so I also don't see why you now have little hope for the future of Xbox from one game the developers wanted to make that has a creative premise that seems like it will be fun.

Plus, gameplay is the most important thing about a game, and it does seem to have pretty enjoyable gameplay from what they have put out so far. It also is not lacking in texture or fidelity like you say

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think you can separate recognising/acknowledging the critical acclaim of an art piece and its influence on an industry with your own subjective thoughts on it, yes.
I mostly don't think about other people's opinions on a game when I'm playing, it's about my satisfaction with it.

Bloodborne has seriously good elements that are marred by its:
blood vial farming
frame pacing
Deliberately vague storytelling with a lot hidden behind item descriptions
shallow magic system
drab colours and, to me, an unappealing architecture style.
Not enough variety between areas.
Lanterns not refilling health/items so you are subjected to the fairly long loading times and not being able to teleport from any lamp to another.

So it's not the case of everything being average, it's that the good didn't outweigh the bad. I guess some more average games post-Bloodborne are stuff like the recent AC series, Ratchet and Clank reboot, Greedfall, BFV, Outer Worlds. But I don't like comparing games, especially in different genres and some 'average' games I might like more than other 'average' ones.
Still interested in Elden Ring though and I never played Sekiro which looks pretty sick.

Totally can, of course, and I'm certainly not suggesting you have like it. It's just the specific use of 'mediocre' that I'm picking up on (cause I'm a dirty pedant 😂).

Saying Souls games are 'average' implies that there are a lot of games like them and/or of similar quality (average). Given few games manage to have lasting impacts on the industry, I don't think they can ever be described meaningfully as 'mediocre', even if you personally think they're 'whatever', if you catch my drift...?

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Totally can, of course, and I'm certainly not suggesting you have like it. It's just the specific use of 'mediocre' that I'm picking up on (cause I'm a dirty pedant 😂).

Saying Souls games are 'average' implies that there are a lot of games like them and/or of similar quality (average). Given few games manage to have lasting impacts on the industry, I don't think they can ever be described meaningfully as 'mediocre', even if you personally think they're 'whatever', if you catch my drift...?

Oh yeah, I got your drift and tried to address that in my first paragraph. It's probably just a difference of opinion that we can't convince each other on distinguishing between influence and personal belief.
Does prior knowledge of something's impact on an industry have any bearing on you? I listened to Daft Punk's first album when I was really young and wasn't aware of their influence on the electronic scene until years after. Should someone's opinions/claims change based on finding this out? Mine didn't I kept thinking they create amazing music. I think this point helps address my views.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
For the past decade Rogue-like mechanics have been abused by indie devs to artificially spread short linear games over needless hours of repeating and grinding.

Gotta agree. There are a lot of good roguelikes/roguelites out there but so many others feel like thoughtless attempts to make the most out a lack of content by spreading it as thinly as possible over an absurdly inflated duration.

I've played some where the procgen level design is spitting out the same 3-4 rooms (or worse, levels) ad infinitum and I wonder why someone would put out something so transparently cynical.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I prefer a ridiculously convoluted title like "Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late[cl-r]" to a boring, generic one word title like "Destiny" or "Anthem". At least the former shows some creativity, and it's fun to see what they will add for the next game (more parenthesis?). I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts, but I think their titles are just hilarious. Please, keep'em coming.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I got your drift and tried to address that in my first paragraph. It's probably just a difference of opinion that we can't convince each other on distinguishing between influence and personal belief.
Does prior knowledge of something's impact on an industry have any bearing on you? I listened to Daft Punk's first album when I was really young and wasn't aware of their influence on the electronic scene until years after. Should someone's opinions/claims change based on finding this out? Mine didn't I kept thinking they create amazing music. I think this point helps address my views.

No, I totally dig what you're saying; it's just describing Soulsborne games with that particular word - mediocre - is an opinion that doesn't stand up to reality.

An opinion is "this is good" or "this is bad" or "this isn't very impressive" or "this is meh", which is all well and good. "This is average" is something closer to (but maybe not quite) demonstrable.

If a game has had a large influence across the industry, it can't - by definition - be average. That is, unless the average game is hugely influential, which we know it isn't.

That's all I'm saying.

I don't want to get into a huge back and forth about it, and I completely respect your right to your opinion; but in this instance, by using 'mediocre', that particular opinion is... well, it's kinda wrong. 😂

...and, yeah, opinions can - and should - change when presented with facts that provide more context. The general gist may be the same - "I don't like it" - but how you express that would probably differ.

Last edited:

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last good Mario game was Galaxy 2. Everything after that it's regular at best, getting easy and easy with every new game.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Matchmaking has ruined online gaming.

You can't make friends playing games online anymore. People behave worse as they have less accountability, and
can't be banned from servers for bad behavior.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not an opinion, more like a preference, but I can't stand the art style of games like Hollow Knight. To me, it looks like a flash game from Newgrounds or something. I did try to play through it but couldn't get very far. Both the style and the gameplay loop put me off.
Matchmaking has ruined online gaming.

You can't make friends playing games online anymore. People behave worse as they have less accountability, and
can't be banned from servers for bad behavior.
Totally agree. I despise matchmaking and hate that a lot of developers blindly followed that trend. It killed multiplayer for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
This may be brought out more out of my ignorance on the game than a my experience. I have no idea what people see in animal crossing. I feel like there are similar games that do more and seem funner like Stardew Valley, etc. Am I missing something?

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Maybe not an opinion, more like a preference, but I can't stand the art style of games like Hollow Knight. To me, it looks like a flash game from Newgrounds or something. I did try to play through it but couldn't get very far. Both the style and the gameplay loop put me off.

I love Hollow Knight but completely agree with you. I much prefer a classic pixel style myself. Could be a generational thing I suppose but I have always equated this particular style to the flash game boom back in the day.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Hollow Knight but completely agree with you. I much prefer a classic pixel style myself. Could be a generational thing I suppose but I have always equated this particular style to the flash game boom back in the day.
Yup. Something like Hyper Light Drifter, Oxenfree, Guacamelee, etc. The last two are not really pixel art, but I far prefer that art style. Maybe it's because they kind of remind me of the old point and click games' artstyle (Lucasarts/Sierra games). Everything that looks like flash just puts me off.[/QUOTE]

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Soulsborne is the dumbest forced name I've ever heard - the genre is Souls-like.

Demon Souls came out six years before Bloodborne, and in the process, Dark Souls 1 and 2 were released before it too. Demon Souls defined the genre, Dark Souls exposed the genre to more people. Bloodborne is an iteration of Souls and shouldn't be attached because the genre was defined six years prior.
keep in mind the term soulsborne is 100% fanmade and the official term is Souls series

Dark Souls - Wikipedia