• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Buying games you don't intend to play is fine.
Pretending there's some good reason to do so is not.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If you close lf your senses to the fanbase, fnaf is a very good and creative indie series that Scott Cawthon has put an insane amount of effort in. The original game is one of the most unique short indie games ever.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
In terms of technical execution, overall design and artistic direction, RE4 has aged worse than any other mainline Resident Evil.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
  • Dead Space 1 & 2 are better than Res Evil 4
I get this. DS1 definitely, it's a lean action horror game with a good balance of slow, ominous sections and creative action set pieces with very little filler

It's harder for me to say which I prefer between DS2 and RE4 as I feel like they're guilty of the same thing; throwing waves of enemies at you in very basic open environments to force you to consume resources. I still like DS2's level design more than RE4's but I feel like that might not be a fair comparison to make seeing as RE4 was the trailblazer for this kind of game and DS2 came much later.

My most recent controversial opinion is that Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD is the best SMB game. And yes I've played all the home console releases and a couple of the handheld games. I feel like it has the best movement so far in the series and the jumping adds and not detracts from the experience.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how people are supposedly STILL replaying Skyrim. It's so butt ugly and melee in first person sucks. When I played it I stuck to mostly bows but it's not very good either.
I like the game but I only needed to play it once.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Y'all should be ashamed of the RE4 takes in here! Still the GOAT

Destiny 2 is one of the most soulless games I have ever played and is one of the most horribly designed games I've encountered. It employs the most predatory tactics the industry has and perhaps more than any other game this gen has become symbolic of what is wrong with the industry today (aggressive microtransactions, controversy, etc).

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all should be ashamed of the RE4 takes in here! Still the GOAT

Destiny 2 is one of the most soulless games I have ever played and is one of the most horribly designed games I've encountered. It employs the most predatory tactics the industry has and perhaps more than any other game this gen has become symbolic of what is wrong with the industry today (aggressive microtransactions, controversy, etc).

Then i'm worried about what you'd think about it when Activision was still involved :')

Vague Rant

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Most Sonic the Hedgehog games have really bad music. I always see the claim that even when Sonic games are bad, at least there's still the amazing music, but a lot of what came after the Mega Drive era (plus Mania, obviously) sounds like extremely dull sub-radio-tier alt-rock.

The musical style changed completely with the shift into 3D, and while I can enjoy some of it here and there, none of it has the sense of fun or cool that the older games had. I think the new stuff is probably more in line with the melodramatic tone of the series itself, but I don't like that either, so it's not really any comfort.

I can appreciate people enjoying it on a cheese level, like a rapping Knuckles is pretty dumb and funny, but it's not good.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think 3D Mario has exhausted all avenues of innovation and needs a full-fledged VR game to re-assert itself as the genre-defining king.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Just gonna unload a few since I haven't posted in this thread in a while.

Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia is still a million times better than 3 Houses, and 3 Houses flounders in its main plot line constantly due to breaking up info across three routes.

The only good thing about the FF7 Remake is the graphics.

We've reached a plateau on graphics that most further improvement on visual fidelity means nothing to me because so many basic things like art direction and cinematography have gone to the shitter in many ways.

Last of Us is a normie friendly garbage game that only has clout because it wants to be a movie so bad and because somehow people forget PS1 RPGs exist that were "mature" before this game came along. People want to say games need to be more mature while also stating they can only be mature if they replicate film. This is nonsense.

God of War 2018's over the shoulder camera is mostly garbage, and the answers they came up with for it are also garbage and it ruins a lot of the great gameplay on high difficulties, especially against valkyries who constantly break your lock on.

FFXV's story is garbage and the idea of selling a story through additional media is/has always been garbage. If you can't tell a coherent story don't try. Extended media is meant to enhance a story not make up for its shortcomings while the audience has to pay money for needed context.

Cooldown/rotation based combat like Xenoblade 2 and FFXIV and turn based combat like Battle Chasers/PersonaQ and P5/Radiant Historia are where I'd like to see JRPG fight systems develop on the console, but we've lost that battle to people who can't appreciate them.

Turn based isn't "old fashioned" or "outdated" just like RTS and TBS isn't "outdated." They're different forms of play and menu based play styles that appeal to some people, and just because it's not 1:1 button presses doesn't mean it's inferior in any way, especially when most JRPGs who use "action" combat use it in a superfluous and typically boring way.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds wouldn't have been received nearly as well if Fallout 76 wasn't a massive, much-publicized failure.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I think 3D Mario has exhausted all avenues of innovation and needs a full-fledged VR game to re-assert itself as the genre-defining king.

What evidence do you see for this? Because to me 3D Mario is one of the most consistently creative series around. Mario 64 created the 3D platformer genre, Sunshine expanded on the movement options with Fludd, Galaxy 1 & 2 brought new gameplay with the gravity focus, 3D Land successfully mixed the style of the old 2D games with the 3D ones, 3D World seemlessly adapted the formula to 4 player multiplayer, and Odyssey is just constantly surpirsing from beginning to end.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Last of Us is a normie friendly garbage game that only has clout because it wants to be a movie so bad and because somehow people forget PS1 RPGs exist that were "mature" before this game came along. People want to say games need to be more mature while also stating they can only be mature if they replicate film. This is nonsense.
What if I like games that tell their stories in other ways or aren't story heavy at all and I still think TLoU's was told very well? And I'm sure this is the case for tons of other people too.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if this is controversial, but I just finished Dragon Quest XI and that game is just too damn long! By the time the second endgame rolls around like 65 hours in, I just do not care anymore. 2/3's of the game is copy and pasted maps (Time Jump / Trials). I can only repeat the cycle of "go to town, meet people, kill boss, save people" so many times before I want to shut the game off.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW is an unfinished game. They made the world and populated it, realized they had to ship it and just threw in wiimote tech demos in place of dungeons and made it all a collectathon.

It's an amazing world, but it is missing everything that makes for a good Zelda game.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I mostly agree with this, and I was thinking about this earlier today.

I tried getting into TLOU, but after one hour all I got was Uncharted Lite gameplay after an intro that tried so hard to get me all emotional in the cheapest way possible. You already know what's going to happen at the end of the intro, and you've seen something like that in how many movies? - and better scripted and better acted, too. I had no interest in going further.

So many other games (many of which Japanese) left a much more lasting impression on me with less tech. Yeah, JRPG characters can be corny and terribly designed and the script of those games can be cheesy as hell and so ridiculously convoluted, but there's still no game that hit me as hard as Xenogears or the two Chrono games.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The Witcher 3 has bad quest design. Go to area marked in yellow on the map, use Witcher sense to inspect red glowy things, throw in some bad combat at the end maybe. Every quest I played boiled down to something like this, and it was never interesting or fun.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
What if I like games that tell their stories in other ways or aren't story heavy at all and I still think TLoU's was told very well? And I'm sure this is the case for tons of other people too.
I'm glad that people who like movies think that gaming is good when it tries to be like movies. This is for controversial takes I don't have to defend anything lol. I could but I won't.

I tried getting into TLOU, but after one hour all I got was Uncharted Lite gameplay after an intro that tried so hard to get me all emotional in the cheapest way possible. You already know what's going to happen at the end of the intro, and you've seen something like that in how many movies? - and better scripted and better acted, too. I had no interest in going further.

So many other games (many of which Japanese) left a much more lasting impression on me with less tech. Yeah, JRPG characters can be corny and terribly designed and the script of those games can be cheesy as hell and so ridiculously convoluted, but there's still no game that hit me as hard as Xenogears or the two Chrono games.
When I rewatched the Vagrant Story scenes for the 20 year anniversary I laughed at how a game in 1994 is still leagues ahead presentation wise of some of the games that came out last year.

But yeah gaming has been "mature" in plenty of aspects for a long time now, but mature to a lot of people means "grim/dark" and more like film.

The Witcher 3 has bad quest design. Go to area marked in yellow on the map, use Witcher sense to inspect red glowy things, throw in some bad combat at the end maybe. Every quest I played boiled down to something like this, and it was never interesting or fun.
That's fair, but I'd say the reason people like myself like it is because of the writing and contextualization of it. Because any game can be boiled down like that. Every Monster Hunter mission is Go out, kill monster, come back. Every game has something that makes it easier to ignore what others consider flaws. Objectively the mission design is the same compared to a more linear game yeah, and you could say that's "bad" to you, but I'd still argue the interactions with the world and NPCs help justify its existence. Sorry it wasn't interesting or fun for you though, that's a real bummer.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Dark Souls 2 is the best game in the trilogy.
Final Fantasy 13, 13-2, and 13-3 are good games.
Breath of the Wild is one of the worst 3D Zelda games.
Super Mario RPG has yet to have an amazing follow up.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

Basically you are saying that your favorite games have the same problems of TLOU, but you like them anyway.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Odyssey fights with Sunshine as the worst of the mainline Mario games.

Such great potential but the worlds rarely provide enough interesting challenges. The forms are basic, surface-level nonsense that don't even capture the depth and discovery that hats afforded in Mario 64. I kept playing for over 800 moons, waiting for the brilliance to win me over and outside of a scant few moons per world that impressed, the majority of that game is savagely overrated.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The music in Banjo Kazooie sucks.

Maybe some of it doesn't but I'll never know as I turn it down immediately. It's hard going from DKC to that honky muffled mess.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
For someone who owned a Wii U last gen, and has a PS4 and a PC, the Switch software output as a home console is kinda disappointing. Once you rule out downgraded ports and Wii U rereleases...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart Tour has new stuff in it that makes MK8D feel like a downgrade because it's not included, and will make MK9 feel like a downgrade as well if it's not.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. I never really understood why those were so praised.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I have no idea how people are supposedly STILL replaying Skyrim. It's so butt ugly and melee in first person sucks. When I played it I stuck to mostly bows but it's not very good either.
I like the game but I only needed to play it once.
^ this. I still go back to skyrim because I can do this:
XHWSQ9m.jpg
ZBsFWGM.jpg

l3zsrSS.jpg

t1CeVhP.jpg

Basically you are saying that your favorite games have the same problems of TLOU, but you like them anyway.
The difference being that TLOU is still hailed as the second coming of story telling, and held up on a pedestal compared to other/older games. There's a difference in the framing of conversations about TLOU and others, but I don't want to derail the thread to be about one thing. That's a really bad read of their take lol

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I'm really not saying that.

Those games have different problems. They don't scream "Cry! Cry, goddammit! See? A little girl died, her father is devastated! See? See, motherfucker? Cry! Be sad!" at me with film-like imagery, sound and direction, though. They're way more subtle, and way much better food for thought and emotion.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is controversial, but I just finished Dragon Quest XI and that game is just too damn long! By the time the second endgame rolls around like 65 hours in, I just do not care anymore. 2/3's of the game is copy and pasted maps (Time Jump / Trials). I can only repeat the cycle of "go to town, meet people, kill boss, save people" so many times before I want to shut the game off.

I loved the game but it's absolutely too long, especially considering the lack of new locations after you finish the first act. I'd played over 100 hours by the time I ran out of steam and I was only part way through the 3rd act/postgame

Plum

May 31, 2018
Some fresh hot takes straight out of the oven:

- I don't want E3 to die. I want it to improve, definitely, but the rabidness of the hatred towards it and the calls for its death just completely baffle me. Why do people want to replace a guaranteed 2-3 day event where everyone in the gaming industry gets together for a whole bunch of non-guaranteed single-console events that just widen the divisions between each of the three platform holders?

- As someone who stuck with Nintendo throughout the Wii U/3DS years Switch-era Nintendo has mostly turned out to be a dud for me. There are so few shining examples of great original content and, despite having the capacity to do so, Nintendo seems more afraid of taking risks than ever.

Every Direct is less "look at these new ideas and games!" and more "look at all these old games that aren't going to be getting a new instalment any time soon." and right now it seems like they're coasting on Smash DLC and the tiny amount of sequels that have been dangling over our heads for years.

That we're in the middle of the generation and Nintendo has to headline a Direct with a Wii Remaster is just pitiful tbh; people shouldn't have to resort to constant list wars and empty promises of future content to shut down criticisms of the console's lineup

-
The only legitimately scary Resident Evil game is 7, and even then only the first half and some parts of the second are scary. Everything else is too focused on melodramatic character-based nonsense for it to move anywhere near actual horror instead of just horror-based stuff.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom will never top the Street Fighter 3 series not because they were better games but because they keep chasing that SF2 nostalgia and focusing on goofy shit and it's getting incredibly stale. I'm not saying they need to copy SF3 but they need to start taking more risks and moving the series in a new direction.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Mass effect 3 is miles better than mass effect 2

Nintendo games are vastly overrated and given free passes because people grew up playing those games and feel a nostalgia factor.

Criticising games that are "cinematic" is just a stealth troll and a cop out for liking games with shit stories.

BR games/modes are horrifically boring.

The main reason for black ops games success is they rode the Modern warefare hype, not because they were anywhere close to being good games

subscription services like gamepass and PS Now are the bane of the industry. It will mean mean production budgets will be limited by what Sony/MS allow devs to have and what ever micro transactions the game can achieve. The single player genre will be dead. Single player expansions like the witcher blood and wine or red dead undead nightmare will be dead. If third parties have no where else to go Ms/Sony will crush them and basically subvert them to their will. We seen what happens when a platform holder holds too much power over the industry with Nintendo back in the 80s, and it wasnt pretty at all.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, I mean... are they really *that* controversial? :)

PvP folks love DkS2 and the DLC is (mostly) top-tier, and yeah, Majula <3. Can't speak for all the FF13s, but I recently played a chunk of FF13 via XB1X BC and I thought it was a lot more fun now than I did when it first came out. I can't abide the BOTW statement, even though I know there are lots of people who don't like it. It's still a contender for my GOTG and GOAT.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha, I mean... are they really *that* controversial? :)

PvP folks love DkS2 and the DLC is (mostly) top-tier, and yeah, Majula <3. Can't speak for all the FF13s, but I recently played a chunk of FF13 via XB1X BC and I thought it was a lot more fun now than I did when it first came out. I can't abide the BOTW statement, even though I know there are lots of people who don't like it. It's still a contender for my GOTG and GOAT.
Yeah but the main DS2 game is trash. No amount of good DLC can save that turd. FF XIII trilogy is god awful, even XV isn't that bad, and that's saying something.
A series that has Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in it can't have BoTW as one of the worst game sin the series. That's scientifically impossible.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I think people saying "people only like TLOU because it's mature" is selling it short. The story is well acted, it's a good mix of action and horror (and stealth even, though I wouldn't call it a stealth game), and the environmental storytelling is great.

It's got a lot more going for it than being "edgelord".

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but the main DS2 game is trash. No amount of good DLC can save that turd. FF XIII trilogy is god awful, even XV isn't that bad, and that's saying something.
A series that has Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in it can't have BoTW as one of the worst game sin the series. That's scientifically impossible.
Can't agree that the main DkS2 game is trash, but yeah, opinions and such. I had a good time with it although I didn't play vanilla; I jumped in w/ SotFS on PC after I'd completed BB, DkS1, and DeS.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW is an unfinished game. They made the world and populated it, realized they had to ship it and just threw in wiimote tech demos in place of dungeons and made it all a collectathon.

It's an amazing world, but it is missing everything that makes for a good Zelda game.

While I agree with you that the games dungeons and bosses are not as good as other Zeldas, the idea that it was unfinished I don't think is a subjective opinion, but just wrong. The dungeons/bosses reflected a decision to give players all the tools at the beginning of the game rather than dungeon by dungeon in order to make the whole world accessible as soon as you leave the plateau.

You don't just slap together those big creatures and the story around them as well as the dungeons themselves at the last minute. And clearly the shrines are an open world mechanic and fast travel mechanism utilized because they knew they were sacrificing some of the puzzle solving of traditional Zeldas and dungeons where you could traverse everywhere wouldn't particularly work.

It was a conscience and planned decision and it absolutely part of the game's long term design, not tacked on, they knew they were trading traditional Zelda for an open world mechanic.

Personally, I'm hoping they can think of a better way to marry up the new open world with more traditional dungeons and bosses, because it did feel like a tradeoff - just not one that was unplanned or last minute. That team cares way too much about game design to ever just tack on stuff as big as that at the last minute.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
While I agree with you that the games dungeons and bosses are not as good as other Zeldas, the idea that it was unfinished I don't think is a subjective opinion, but just wrong. The dungeons/bosses reflected a decision to give players all the tools at the beginning of the game rather than dungeon by dungeon in order to make the whole world accessible as soon as you leave the plateau.

You don't just slap together those big creatures and the story around them as well as the dungeons themselves at the last minute. And clearly the shrines are an open world mechanic and fast travel mechanism utilized because they knew they were sacrificing some of the puzzle solving of traditional Zeldas and dungeons where you could traverse everywhere wouldn't particularly work.

It was a conscience and planned decision and it absolutely part of the game's long term design, not tacked on, they knew they were trading traditional Zelda for an open world mechanic.

Personally, I'm hoping they can think of a better way to marry up the new open world with more traditional dungeons and bosses, because it did feel like a tradeoff - just not one that was unplanned or last minute. That team cares way too much about game design to ever just tack on stuff as big as that at the last minute.

Sure it's a conscious decision to make the world traveral the key focus, but that's basically all there is. 120 shrines that are basically wiimote tech demos, 900 korok seeds that are mostly just an excuse to receive anything for that traversal.

Loving what is there is all fine and good, but there's not really much there. 4 Dungeons that are tiny and mostly just a big puzzle and a few secrets and interesting tidbits to find in the world.

They spent all their time on the world that they didn't do much to fill it.