• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
The souls games are such a weirdly unfair and stupid games. Every encounter is based on abusing iframes in the dodge roll. Then it's a matter of getting the camera right to follow up the dodge roll with a successful next move, whether it's an attack or another roll.

In the beginning of Bloodborne, which is an incredible intro to a game, soon places you into a fight with a bit ogre looking monster with a huge axe. He has a handful of different attacks that cover a large area of the screen. The damn thing takes 10 or so hits to kill, and you're dodge rolling however many times the same way regardless of which attack the monster does. It's nothing more than timing a successful dodge roll, move the camera, either roll or hit it with an attack, rinse repeat until it's over.

The entire series is all the same game, even the loading screens are the same. I finally tried Bloodborne since it was free, but it was the exact same experience I had with Dark Souls. I couldn't imagine slogging through that experience, but I'm sure there are some really cool things in Bloodborne that I feel I'm missing out on as I love the atmosphere and world. It annoys me that this opinion would be controversial... I have no idea how so many people enjoy this.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Shadow of war > neir automata.
Nier automata looks like a late PS3 game. And sometimes it fells like neir plays itself. And all the Christian infulence is eye rolling like really you name the two male robots Adam and Eve. Why not just crucify all the robots in the game.

I know this wasn't probably why this account got banned but in my headcanon it is and its awesome

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Persona 4 Dancing All Night is better than Persona 4 Golden.

The RPG mechanics of P4 are the most boring part. It just doesn't feel fun to play. It doesn't help that the dungeon design is extremely repetitive an uninteresting. Those dungeons are also repeated for 50+ hours. Bleh.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The souls games are such a weirdly unfair and stupid games. Every encounter is based on abusing iframes in the dodge roll. Then it's a matter of getting the camera right to follow up the dodge roll with a successful next move, whether it's an attack or another roll.

In the beginning of Bloodborne, which is an incredible intro to a game, soon places you into a fight with a bit ogre looking monster with a huge axe. He has a handful of different attacks that cover a large area of the screen. The damn thing takes 10 or so hits to kill, and you're dodge rolling however many times the same way regardless of which attack the monster does. It's nothing more than timing a successful dodge roll, move the camera, either roll or hit it with an attack, rinse repeat until it's over.

The entire series is all the same game, even the loading screens are the same. I finally tried Bloodborne since it was free, but it was the exact same experience I had with Dark Souls. I couldn't imagine slogging through that experience, but I'm sure there are some really cool things in Bloodborne that I feel I'm missing out on as I love the atmosphere and world. It annoys me that this opinion would be controversial... I have no idea how so many people enjoy this.

You can fix the camera on the enemy so you don't have to move it, you know. Just click the stick.

The game (Bloodborne) gets incredibly good once the combat clicks, but it needs some patience and training. Even I as a Souls veteran had tons of problems to adjust. It really isn't for everybody.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
How many variations of a penis plant does No Man's Sky have? I swear I'm scanning the same looking shit over and over, but the game wants to give me some sense of reward to keep me playing. So it's like oooh new discovery!

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Did you like shadow fall or not?
Ugh don't remind me of my time with Shadow Fall. What a boring ass game. I can't believe I forced myself to finish it, yet I still can't remember what happened in the game. The only good thing about it was the graphics, same with Horizon.

Horizon is not a very good game but come on.
No you come on. 2 hours into Horizon and I've already shelved the game. Can't believe it's praised by a lot of folks.

After forcing myself to finish Ni No Kuni and wasting 40 hours of my life, I vowed not to ever waste time playing a video game.

When you force yourself to play a video game and you're not having fun, then you're wasting time. Horizon Zero Dawn is not fun and a waste of time.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I'm guessing you didn't gun parry? Is this the ogre with his back turned by a large door? Because that's sorta to teach you the parry. You can kill him in like one or two parries with no rolling around or iframes stuff. I didn't even beat BB but you should give it a chance at least to learn the main systems.

Oct 27, 2017
No you come on. 2 hours into Horizon and I've already shelved the game. Can't believe it's praised by a lot of folks.

After forcing myself to finish Ni No Kuni and wasting 40 hours of my life, I vowed not to ever waste time playing a video game.

When you force yourself to play a video game and you're not having fun, then you're wasting time. Horizon Zero Dawn is not fun and a waste of time.
I am agreeing with you man.
But I'm just saying that Killzone is a much, much, worse game.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I'm guessing you didn't gun parry? Is this the ogre with his back turned by a large door? Because that's sorta to teach you the parry. You can kill him in like one or two parries with no rolling around or iframes stuff. I didn't even beat BB but you should give it a chance at least to learn the main systems.

I tried that shit, I did. I beat Bayonetta on that mode where there is no witch time, so I don't get it.

Oct 27, 2017
Switch's tax is making getting games for it very difficult.

Just today, Dead Cells and Flipping Death released at 2.5x and 2x more expensive than their Steam counterparts in my country (Mexico).

While these games are the so called #Perfect4Switch, their price isnt just competitive, IMO.

RoyalJello

Jul 29, 2018
Current methods of sorting and finding games are pro skewed monopolies, and will never ever produce original franchises like Bioshock or Quake for their time.
Having the majority decide something that they know nothing about will keep producing average at best titles with empty worlds.

Only controversial to a lot of idealists.

Something actually controversial? People can't tell a story, and narrative in media seems to keep getting simpler, and ignores old games and movies.

Oct 27, 2017
While I've never been good at the series from a gameplay perspective the Mario franchise has some of my favorite worlds in gaming; I think they are near untouchable when it comes to the sheer diversity in their locales. One minute you're in a grassland, then a desert, then a cave, then in the sky, then in a poison swamp, ghost ships, volcanoes, theme parks, etc. I wish more games/series copied that philosophy.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Red Dead Redemption is OKAY.

The shooting is bland, the open world is too open (sidequests are boring af), the pacing is too slow.

Its only redeeming qualities are its writing and aesthetic. Neither of which are spectacular enough to make it anything truly special.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Akuma, Kazuma Kiryu & Geese Howard should've the only 3 guest characters in Tekken 7.

Noctis belongs in Soulcalibur VI, and Negan belongs in Mortal Kombat XI.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this isnt as controversial but

If PC gamers want companies to stop forcing Denuvo or some other shit, we should stop spending full price on them. Or buy from GMG.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Akuma, Kazuma Kiryu & Geese Howard should've the only 3 guest characters in Tekken 7.

Noctis belongs in Soulcalibur VI, and Negan belongs in Mortal Kombat XI.

Cosigned.

I guess this isnt as controversial but

If PC gamers want companies to stop forcing Denuvo or some other shit, we should stop spending full price on them. Or buy from GMG.

Or just don't pirate but eh. That's my controversial opinion.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_mh3ajhKh8O1s24v32o4_250.gif

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Besides Simon and Richter all of the newcomers in Smash Ultimate suck. Daisy is a second rate spin-off character who hasn't really mattered since the Gameboy, Chrom is the most boring Fire Emblem character they can put, everybody complained about Dark Pit but at least he was an actual character in Uprising while Dark Samus doesn't have that and K Rool just isn't that exciting (it also should've been Dixie). Ridley could've been cool but his design just sucks. I would not be surprised if he went through the most revisions out of any character so far and just settled on one becuase fuck it Sakurai probably isn't going to work on the series again. I don't know, Brawl and Wii U/3DS had tons of fun newcomers and unexpected reveals and the new game feels kind of tame in comparison.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The gaming community's love affair with "the GOTY" is very, very tiring at this point. All it does is put the focus of "gaming prestige" on whatever game has the biggest budget with the most 'GOTY-friendly' features, smaller games and niche titles be damned. It's a purely marketing-driven term and, having been taught marketing, I have to commend gaming companies for making it such a zeitgeist term amongst gamers.

Seeing tens of people shout "omg this going to be my GOTY for sure!" in the Red Dead thread is disconcerting to say the least, it's like people can't be excited for a genuinely amazing looking game without putting other games down whilst doing so.

EDIT: I'd also say that the rhetoric seen around here and elsewhere in the gaming community that "more sales = less criticism" is also disconcerting. Like in that Final Fantasy XV thread where a game being successful was not a cause for celebration but an excuse to "pwn the salty haters."

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I tried that shit, I did. I beat Bayonetta on that mode where there is no witch time, so I don't get it.

Well, gun parrying sucks and can be wildly inconsistent. And then even when you get it, if the enemy is even slightly at a different elevation from you, there's a good chance the follow-up attack won' trigger. For what it's worth, I agree with your take on Bloodborne as someone who got the platinum. Every boss and encounter is defeated with the same tactics, and any larger boss you are fighting the shitty camera just as much as the boss. Beyond that, the game (and from what I've played, Demon and Dark Souls) rely primarily on tedium for their difficulty - ie let's limit your retries per minute by making you run through trash you've killed 100 times already.

Beautiful art direction, though.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Switch's tax is making getting games for it very difficult.

Just today, Dead Cells and Flipping Death released at 2.5x and 2x more expensive than their Steam counterparts in my country (Mexico).

While these games are the so called #Perfect4Switch, their price isnt just competitive, IMO.

There's no Switch Tax at play there.

Both games cost the same on PS4 and Switch. Flipping Death is also the same price on Steam as on Switch/PS4 on the US Steam store. Dead Cells is $5 cheaper than both on Steam, but the game has been there a while on Early Access.

If you're paying much cheaper prices on your Steam, then that's due to special regional pricing, not 'Switch Tax'.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no Switch Tax at play there.

Both games cost the same on PS4 and Switch. Flipping Death is also the same price on Steam as on Switch/PS4 on the US Steam store. Dead Cells is $5 cheaper than both on Steam, but the game has been there a while on Early Access.

If you're paying much cheaper prices on your Steam, then that's due to special regional pricing, not 'Switch Tax'.

Fair enough.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
From software needs to prioritize 60fps on consoles and their games suffer because they only do 30fps on launch. The souls games are fine now because you can choose the PC version or get the remasters. But it's infuriating that they did a masterpiece like Bloodborne and made it a stuttery 30fps game. The game deserves better and From needs to get some pressure from the media and the fans so they go for 60fps.

Plum

May 31, 2018
From software needs to prioritize 60fps on consoles and their games suffer because they only do 30fps on launch. The souls games are fine now because you can choose the PC version or get the remasters. But it's infuriating that they did a masterpiece like Bloodborne and made it a stuttery 30fps game. The game deserves better and From needs to get some pressure from the media and the fans so they go for 60fps.

They really just need to get their shit together when it comes to framepacing; 60fps is great but what they have now isn't even a good 30fps. Bloodborne in particular is an amazing playing and amazing looking game wrapped up in a stuttery, blurry mess. Why they thought the chromatic aberration in that game was a good idea is beyond me.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The people who spout that "all western developed silent hill games are trash" either
1. Didn't slog all the way through the end of silent hill 4
2. Have a bias against any SH game not developed by Team Silent and act as if team silent was a static enity from SH1 through SH4.
3. Nitpick the shit out of Downpour and conveniently side step all that it added to SH formula. (Open world, side quests that are creepy as hell, fantastic atmosphere)
4. Somehow hold the trainwreck that was homecoming above downpour, which is nonsense

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
They really just need to get their shit together when it comes to framepacing; 60fps is great but what they have now isn't even a good 30fps. Bloodborne in particular is an amazing playing and amazing looking game wrapped up in a stuttery, blurry mess. Why they thought the chromatic aberration in that game was a good idea is beyond me.

Yeah. I tried to play it again. My mistake was playing Quake Champinions and Dead Cells with 100+ fps directly before that. Sure enough, it felt incredibly bad and I deleted it immediately. Up until that point, it was my game of the generation and in my top5 ever. I'm convinced that if I would play it for 2h straight, I would adjust. But I simply can't accept that performance anymore. My standards have changed.

Will buy the inevitable PS5 remaster though in 4k60.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Being defensive of companies is really silly. Nintendo is a huge corporation. PS4 is a chunk of plastic. You don't have to worry about hurting their feelings.

Like if someone is saying a game is too expensive, why on earth would you defend the game being overpriced? Why as a consumer would you want to pay more than the market standard, or want to shut down encouragement for it to be cheaper?

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never liked the game To The Moon since the entire point of the story is to build a lie for a dying man to live a better life than the one he had.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Playing BoTW for the first time - I think it's a great game, but no way this game would have gotten perfect scores if it didn't have the Zelda name on it. I have a few major problems with the game: The battle-system is pretty shallow, and just doesn't a whole lot going for it, the weapon durability system just isn't fun for the critical first hours of the game, The inventory management is way too cumbersome - Why do I need to access my inventory to cook, for example? Why can't I drop weapons quickly through the quick-menu thing?

And another one regarding Smash Bros. Ultimate - It has too many characters and just shit in general. I know, this is what the fans want - But how about some quality over quantity? I'd rather the series return to a low number of characters with some semblance of balancing. Do we really need every Z-Lister Nintendo villain to be a character? Do we need hundreds of different Pokemons and Assist Trophies and Items? They just makes the game a clusterfuck even for a party game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with almost all the character designs in Xenoblade 2.

Persona 2 while having a great story, is dragged down by its gameplay. It's the worst Persona game because of it IMO.

I can't stand the Soulsborne style of storytelling and I freaking cringed during that period where a shit ton of people kept insisting most, of not ALL, games should tell their stories that way.

No I'm sorry fuck that.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter World plays like a PS2-era open world game. The combat would be cutting edge 15 years ago. Today? Not so much.

BotW has some great moments and ideas but navigating the world is a chore.

Souls games don't respect gamer's time. They are basically a series of great boss fights and level design let down by the need to fighr uninteresting mobs again and again and again.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Naughty Dog and Rockstar can do everything , even if it's bad, people will continue to say it's GOTY.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playing BoTW for the first time - I think it's a great game, but no way this game would have gotten perfect scores if it didn't have the Zelda name on it. I have a few major problems with the game: The battle-system is pretty shallow, and just doesn't a whole lot going for it, the weapon durability system just isn't fun for the critical first hours of the game, The inventory management is way too cumbersome - Why do I need to access my inventory to cook, for example? Why can't I drop weapons quickly through the quick-menu thing?

And another one regarding Smash Bros. Ultimate - It has too many characters and just shit in general. I know, this is what the fans want - But how about some quality over quantity? I'd rather the series return to a low number of characters with some semblance of balancing. Do we really need every Z-Lister Nintendo villain to be a character? Do we need hundreds of different Pokemons and Assist Trophies and Items? They just makes the game a clusterfuck even for a party game.

Between the Belda argument and saying that Smash should be balanced like Before... Duuude.

I mean, you're entitled to your opinión but, the Belda argument?

And every Smash entry is more balanced than the previous one. Do you think that foxonlyfinaldestination or the original Smash were more balanced than Brawl or 4? Sorry but no, in fact Melee is a fucking clusterfuck

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think game having gameplay hooks is totally unnecessary, only quality of gameplay is paramount and that is difficult to judge without playing the game. From last decade i really remember like couple games where innovative gameplay hook was primary reason to play some game, Portal for example. And even then that mechanic even for innovative it is, isn't enough to carry the game nearly as long as lets say rpg story or well made multiplayer game like Cod.

So I would hope game designers would focus on making the gameplay as good as possible and not waste time trying to desperately come up with something that is immediately recognized as innovative gameplay hook.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Do we need hundreds of different Pokemons and Assist Trophies and Items? They just makes the game a clusterfuck even for a party game.
how, when you can turn each and every one of them off? Or alter the rate at which they appear? You make it sound like there will be hundreds of items and assist trophies appearing during any given match.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Bloodborne feels like a low-budget Dark Souls III. For example, there are only five attributes to level up, while in Dark Souls there are many more. The quantity of weapons in the game is minimal compared to Dark Souls III, and not well thought out. For example, Ludwigs Holy Blade (one of the strongest weapons in the game) is already obtainable in the beginning.

Then there is that hidden level in Bloodborne (Cainhurst) which is just one hallway, a library and a rooftop where you fight a boss. In Dark Souls III, it is an entire world/realm whatever you call it (the dragon world). It feels like the production values are so much higher in DS3.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Between the Belda argument and saying that Smash should be balanced like Before... Duuude.

I mean, you're entitled to your opinión but, the Belda argument?

And every Smash entry is more balanced than the previous one. Do you think that foxonlyfinaldestination or the original Smash were more balanced than Brawl or 4? Sorry but no, in fact Melee is a fucking clusterfuck
What's Belda?
As I said, I'm really enjoying BoTW, it's very successful and renewed my interest in Zelda as a series. But I can't overlook some of its flaws - Especially the combat system and inventory management, and I don't understand how anyone could say the game is perfect or that these things don't seriously detract from the experience.

As for Smash, I did not talk about previous iterations at all, I don't think Smash was ever amazingly balanced, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be, and I think balancing so many different characters is practically an impossible task. One thing I did like about earlier Smash titles - it was easier to understand the match-up when you had fewer characters and items. At some point, understanding all of the different characters, Assists, Pokemons and items is just impossible, and matches feel too chaotic, and it's almost impossible for me to have a good grasp of it all.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's time for Smash to take a step back and maybe re-examine some stuff and try new things rather than just continue with this iterative loop of just adding stuff at what feels like an exponential rate at this point.

how, when you can turn each and every one of them off? Or alter the rate at which they appear? You make it sound like there will be hundreds of items and assist trophies appearing during any given match.
Yeah, you can do it, but it requires to know them all to understand which you like and which you don't, and with a group of people it can be quite hard to agree on these stuff. I just find the sheer amount exhausting and waaayyyy past the point of diminishing returns for content.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
GTA's are wide puddles without any actual depth to them, from characters to activities to world. Because of this they fail to properly pull you into the world and engage you with events of the games.

Which is why I look at RDR2 with some interest now after latest trailer, it promises to add a lot of that depth that GTA games just don't deliver.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Symphony of the Night is not a great game. At it's best it just barely reaches mediocre status. The game has horrendous level design, terrible focus on loot and the RPG level up system is garbage ,it breaks the entire game. SOTN lacks any challenge from the classic Castlevania games, It's basically a text book example of how not to make a Castlevania game and how to avoid making a Metroid game. Everything that Super Metroid nailed SOTN completely failed at. The music and aesthetics are the only good things i can say about it. Oh and i guess if you own the Japanese version you can enjoy some great voice acting but that's about it. The only reason it had any influence is because it happened to be at the right place at the right time and not because it's some amazing game. At-least it's not toxic waste like the N64 Castlevania games but sadly that does not make SOTN any less disappointing.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Hannah in Her Story is real; you can hear her being called into another interrogation room while Eve is confessing.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
everybody complained about Dark Pit but at least he was an actual character in Uprising while Dark Samus doesn't have that
Can't say I agree, Dark Samus was technically the final boss in every game of the Prime trilogy and is, you know, the Metroid Prime. Dark Samus doesn't have a personality, but that hasn't stopped characters from getting in before.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Madden is close to being a complete football title. 19 is wonderful with a few tweeks to some sliders.