• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I don't know how else to describe it really, but what is a series (tv, books, comics, games, movies, anything really) that you find yourself coming back to time and time again just because it's something familiar and enjoyable; no matter how many times you've watched/read/played it?

I ask because I recently found myself rereading mine for the 6th time. I read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King back when I was in high school and loved it so much that, every couple years or so, I go back and read it again.

b6UHgJ6_d.jpg

They don't change over time or anything, and I've come across every little detail and reference imaginable in them so it's not like there's anything new to discover. It just feels nice returning to them. It's like slipping back into a world I've been through with characters I'm so familiar with now that it's just extremely comforting and satisfying to revisit. It feels like a nice, safe zone to return to whenever I've finished reading something completely different.

To a lesser extent, I've found myself doing the same thing with the Phoenix Wright games, particularly the first three. I've played them so many times that there's nothing left to discover and no challenge there, but every couple years I still go back to replay them just because their really enjoyable to return to.

So what are some series that you've found yourself falling into time and time again due to your familiarity with them and the comfort you get from experiencing it all again and again? Can't imagine I'm the only one...

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I rarely revisit games, books or TV shows I've already completed, but the exceptions are Firefly, Souls games, and A Song of Ice and Fire (which I'm currently re-reading).

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I watch Veronica Mars, Party Down, Misfits, QI, and Wonderfalls from start to finish at least once a year. I'd be content to only ever watch these shows with how much I enjoy them.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Marvel Cinematic Universe, particularly phase 3. For me, there isn't a single dud in phase 3. I still love some of the movies from phases 1 and 2, too.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
The 100

It's a really cliche CW show but I love the characters and the overall premise.

Also...Naruto.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Damn, you just reminded me. It's been a few years now, but I used to rewatch every season of it pretty religiously every few months. Only watched Legend of Korra once through (still loved it, but just didn't feel the same kind of pull the original had for whatever reason) but I should probably go through all of it again some time soon.

Yup, DS1 in particular I have found myself going back to over and over and over again since release. It just feels so good to come back to Lordran after learning everything the game has to throw at you.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Movies: Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary ; I never get tired of re-watching them.

TV: Classic Simpsons and The Office.

Video Games: Minecraft, lol. I like to play it while having YouTube videos play in the background.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
For video games it's Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, and Metal Gear Solid 1-3. They are just so breezy to play and the gameplay feels so natural to me. Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 1 in particular are so calming to play for me, the feeling of jumping on multiple enemies or plowing through a level without losing momentum is such a relaxing feeling.

I have many books that are real favorites, but I never reread them.

For television? There's just something about seeing these faces
1613720a-e1506361188953.jpg

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
For books, probably just Harry Potter, I don't think I've reread many other books really.

For TV, it's definitely Star Trek: TNG, it's just a really cozy show for me.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel. Love that universe to death.

Also re-reading Ultimate Spider-Man never gets old. Particularly up to Ultimatum or so

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Star trek next generation. Comfort but also melancholy that no one seems to have taken the themes to heart in this timeline.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
It amazes me that you have the time to retread those series so many times. Sometimes I feel like I do everything at a way slower pace than everybody else lol.

Mine are:

The Legend of Zelda - I've replayed Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and the Wind Waker multiple times, and I'm currently a nutty amount of hours into BotW
Demon's Souls - beaten it four times, and I'm more familiar with it than any other Soulsborne game.
The Harry Potter books (and movies)
Scrubs
Parks and Rec
Always Sunny
Gravity Falls

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Agents of Shield and Community would be the two shows that I have seen countless times and still look forward to.

Good Place will likely be added to that group when the series ends later this year. A pretty short series with lovable characters, interesting plot, and some amazing one liners. Seen each episode at least twice already and will binge it again when it's done.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GJmSQKh.jpg

Came out when I was 15. Grew up on it, and it's just perfect in every way. Infinitely rewatchable and gives me warm and happy feelings to this day. Can't listen to a song on the soundtrack without being brought back to my youth, and the moment where the song plays in the show.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
Psych, Star Trek, King of the Hill, Banjo-Kazooie, Lord of the Rings(movies)

I don't have amazon prime right now though, so I haven't been able to watch Psych and it's killing me. It's the perfect show to just have on. Can't wait for the second movie.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I don't generally consume media multiple times

I did watch seasons 1-8 of the Simpsons countless times when I was younger though,but I haven't really in the past decade or so i've just seen them so many times at this point that I never feel the urge anymore

Oct 27, 2017
Blackadder. We had a few VHS in the late 80s with three of the four seasons on it. It just makes me feel cozy and a bit nostalgic but it's also one of my favourite shows in general. Takes me back to my childhood.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
parks
simpsons s2-10
south park s5-8
samurai champloo
desus&mero
football manager
whatever the latest 2k is
illmatic

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have one now, but when i was a kid/teen it was the Dragonlance Chronicles.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
My comfort movie is jaws. It was the first scary movie I watched and have many fond memories of it.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
GJmSQKh.jpg

Came out when I was 15. Grew up on it, and it's just perfect in every way. Infinitely rewatchable and gives me warm and happy feelings to this day. Can't listen to a song on the soundtrack without being brought back to my youth, and the moment where the song plays in the show.
Yuuuuuup. I was 13 or 14 at the time and it could not have been a better moment to be hit over the head with some of those themes and characters. Also, as you said, the music is just about as ingrained in as possible for me.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Classic Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle and El Chavo del Ocho, lmao. I watch the same stuff almost everyday after finishing my errands of the day.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
friends

but i have to say i feel that its finally getting old

I got plenty of comfort movies though: The fearless Vampire Killers, Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro, the Age of Innocence, Blade Runner, Bram Stoker's (Coppola's) Dracula

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Movies: Big Trouble in Little China. It's my pick me up.

TV: Gintama, ATHF, old Simpson's.

Books: anything Pratchett or Bill Bryson.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Dragon Ball probably qualifies. I've been sticking with the series for two decades now and although in some ways my tastes have changed, I can't ever imagine not making time for Goku and the gang every once in a while.

Definitely 100% classic Simpsons as well, and to a lesser extent King Of The Hill and Futurama. A great animated comedy can feel very "cozy" for lack of a better word.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Games: Mega Man X, Castlevania - Symphony of the Night
Movies: Dracula: Dead and Loving it
TV: Scrubs (I love Scrubs, it always makes me feel better. Or very emotional depending on the episodes...)

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movies: Lord of the Rings, Ocean's Eleven
Books: The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
TV: The Middle, Doctor Who, Cutthroat Kitchen

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Shows: Arrested Development, Always Sunny, Venture Bros, Rocko's Modern Life
Movies: Hot Rod, Baby Driver, any of the Cornetto Trilogy films, Back to the Future

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
For television, I'd say Supernatural and Angel.

For films, other than the MCU, I'd say the original Pirates trilogy fits that bill.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The Simpsons season 1-12 I think, that's my top choice for TV series.

And all of them British sitcoms. The Mighty Boosh, Father Ted, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Black Books, Spaced, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Toast of London, etc. There are so many good ones that I've had on repeat over and over again.

For books it's probably Terry Pratchett's work, I've reread Men at Arms maybe five times.

For movies it'd easily be the Alien franchise.