• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Best:
PS4 Pro
Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Rainbow Six Siege
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
1440p Gsync monitor
Witcher 3
Spiderman

Worst:
Mass Effect Andromeda - How to kill an awesome IP from orbit. WTF were they thinking with this pos

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Best was Rocket League for free on Playstation Plus.

Probably my favorite multiplayer game of all time. Made sure to put money into DLC, but to get a game that good for free is pretty amazing.

Worst:
Like many others, Mass Effect: Andromeda. Just looking through the comments and seeing Andromeda and Anthem so many times for worst purchase is pretty damning for BioWare. They are in such a bad spot right now.

Oct 29, 2017
Worst is Battlefield 4, which is absolutely not my kind of game. Bought because of PS4 launch drought and played like three times for 30 minutes. If the Vita counts, DanganRonpa: Ultra Despair Girls might be my pick because that's probably the worst game longer than a couple hours that I've ever played to completion. Just absolutely nothing redeeming about it at all, really weak shooting mechanics, bland level design, and a story that's honestly reprehensible.

Best might be my original Switch? I like it more than the Lite in a good number of respects so I feel like I'll use it for years to come.

Battlefield 4 has amazing gunplay

But it doesnt really shine at all in single player.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Days Gone prob my worse game was busted from the get go

Destiny is my best, even though I fell off with the latest expansion I played it for over 5 years (part 1 and 2). Easily my games of the generation.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Overwatch. So many hours put into that game, got me into eSports, and I'm still playing it.

Worst would probably be Wii U. What a waste of $250.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Best - Smash Ultimate, not that I was surprised. It was everything I wanted from a Smash 4 sequel: every character, less landing lag, Ridley.

Worst - Let's Go Pikachu.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Best: Xbox one X , I just grabbed it as my main machine for entertainment this generation, i watch movies and chromecast, listen music and use spotify, play my games, watch youtube, play with my kids during my weekends, good memories to be honest.

The binding of Isaac Rebirth (or afterbirth or whatever) I put so many hours while I got it with Plus subscription that I bought the physical version.

Worse? I don't know , maybe the battlefield games, not because they are bad, but the space they take in the hard drive is horrible. Same for the halos and CODs. I've been very selective of my games so in don't think a truly regret a buy per se, but i may not be remembering.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
best. American truck simulator
botw
god of war
hzd

worst. multiple ps4/Xboxes.
2080ti

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Regret getting Sekiro at full price. Also I was always curious of the Technomancer but i got bored of it quickly.

Best: Shenmue 3, Death Stranding and Bujingai.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Best
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Detroit: Become Human
God Of War
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Rocket League
The Last Of Us Remastered

Worst
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Final Fantasy XV

I played it safe this gen. Last gen I paid for up to 8 duds at full price. Disgusting.šŸ˜ž

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Best
Every console this gen
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
God of War
Rocket League
Nier Automata
Classic mini consoles
Gamepass

Worst
Anthem
Division 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Ni no kuni 2

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
MĆ©xico - United States
Best for me are probably an Xbox One X, MCC, Halo 5 and Skyrim. So much hours of entertainment for a relatively low cost, when put into perspective.
Worst was probably Cities Skylines for Xbox One. Not a bad game, but I bought it impulsively at full price and practically played one hour and left it.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best: Gamepass/BOTW (Switch in general honestly)
Witcher 3
Nioh
God of War
Bloodborne
Rocket League
Detroit: Become Human
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey

Worst: FFXV
Overwatch
Division 2
Ni no Kuni II
Andromeda (Thankfully I didn't buy it at launch for the full price since I cancelled my pre-order right before, still though even as birthday gift it was a complete waste)

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Best: PSVR....dont play it much now, but loved the experience with it
Worst: Sekiro....hated it the whole way through

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Best: An Xbox One and GamePass Ultimate

Worst: MVC Infinite. I paid 10 bucks and logged two hours into it and I feel I overpaid in time and money. I hated the flow, I hated the roster, it looked like crap. MVC2 it was not.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Best: God of War, BOTW, Nier: Automata
Worst: RDR2. It's not a bad game. It's an excellent game. But it is not at all what I thought it would be. And I really didn't play enough of it to justify buying it at launch.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
HARDWARE:
Best - upgraded my pc in order to play games with a solid framerate at high settings.

Worst - nintendo Switch as it is catching dust most of the time.

SOFTWARE:
Best - Witcher 3 $50,- incl the dlc... the game got even my wife hooked watching me playing

Worst - Call of Duty infinite warfare legacy edition... the worst 80-90$ i have spend

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Best: Warframe. Can't beat free and it's still the title I've put the most time into this gen.

Worst: The Evil Within. Didn't hate it, but I grew to enjoy it less and less the further I got into it.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Best:

Dead by Daylight
- Became my first ever game where I surpassed 400 hours of playtime.

Worst:

Splatoon 2
- Did not find the gameplay that exciting. I refused to pay for the scam that is NSO so I did not play the multiplayer part. Sold it to a friend.

Paper Wario

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Best: Rocket League, without a doubt. I'm certain I've put more time into it than any other game this gen.

Worst: probably Battlefield 1. My friends and I really enjoyed the beta and we probably should have kept it at that.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 was my best purchase this gen. I tried it and for some reason I could not get into it. I sat on it for a year or so before I gave it another shot but man was I glad I bought it. Eventually spend over 100 hours on it.

Mass Effect: Andromeda was the worst purchase I ever made. I played it for like an hour then dropped it. I could believe what they did to one of my favorite franchises. Worst part? I bought it digitally so I could not return it or trade it in.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what's the best, but worst is easy for me: Persona 5.

Fell into the hype. Thought it'd be a cool jump off point as my first try of the franchise.Tried to give it a shot, but wasn't for me.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Best would be Xbox one X, I had a launch Xbox one but hardly touched it due to everything performing better on PS4.

Deleted member 19782

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have way too many "best" purchases but regarding the worst ones, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 comes to mind.
What a boring, disappointing game. I loved the first two.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like Ni No Kuni 2 was an absolute dumpster fire of a game. Story was just straight garbage, difficulty was non-existent, combat was terrible. It was just straight awful.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Best: Dragon Quest XI

I took a chance on a series/genre that is well outside my comfort zone and it became one of my top games of this gen. There may be a couple games I like more this gen, but they were all games I knew I would love.

Worst: Need for Speed Rivals (This was the console launch one, right?)

Picked it up day one with AC: Black Flag and it was just boring as fuck and existed in that shitty not a sim racer, but not a fun feeling arcade racer either category that has plagued racing games for the past 10+ years.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
bought unist last august and now have sunk somewhere around 1k hours into it. pretty clearcut best for me.

worst is probably mighty no 9 but i bought that for a gag review lul

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
BEST:
Xbox One X - what a console, even for me not owning a 4K TV
Sonic Mania - feeling that true Sonic vibe again
A Plague Tale: Innocence - this game completely flew under my radar until a few days before release, a surprisingly great experience to play
Forza Horizon 4 - I'll play this until 5 comes out, at least
Rise of the Tomb Raider - still my favourite TR game
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - the best 2D platformer in five years, a surprise to me and a real gem!
Shenmue III - I backed it in 2015 and bought two collector's editions this year, so far completely worth it

WORST:
The Order 1886 - I saw reviews and kind of knew it wasn't going to be great, but it was still a disappointment
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz - this shouldn't have come as a surprise either since it's a remaster, but still a bit of a bummer to realize it really was this bad
The Last Guardian - not my thing at all
Sonic Forces - after Mania this was a reminder Sonic should stay in 2D

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Best: Witcher 3 season pass was a great one. Took a chance before even knowing what it would be and got two all time great expansions for $25. Another if it counts would be the projector I bought. Got it for dirt cheap and it looks beautiful and is a blast to play games and watch movies on a 120 inch screen. Games Pass is another obviously. Got like 2 years worth for a dollar and already played a bunch of great stuff, Edith Finch, Subnautica, Outer Wilds, Outer Worlds etc.

Worst: There honestly aren't many I remember regretting buying. Kingdom Come: Deliverance was a huge disappointment for me. Sounded like something I would really love so I bought it full price along with whatever the little DLC was that they had when it came out and had a fairly miserable time with it. Just a really bland, janky, frustrating game that on top of that took the award for running worse than anything else I have tried on my PC no matter what I did.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the damn double dipping. It's 100% my fault, but the Switch now occupies a new type of hardware and usecase so I've been repurchasing stuff I own on other platforms for the ability to play it on the go. This also leads to owning too many Switch games and pining for a new SD card. I've been better about it recently, but sales always get me.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Best- Bloodborne ,REmake2, Witcher3 just to name a few but there were a lot of sublime games tbis generation.

Worst- FFXV. My blindly loyalty to SE is permanently damaged. I didn't buy KH3 and will not buy FF7Remake on launch.

It was a bit of coming of age moment. I no longer view gaming the same way anymore.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Best would definitely be Nier Automata.
I preordered the black box edition as well as the PS4 digital solely for the theme, which is quite a chunk of $$$ to dump on a game I had no idea if I'd like or not. I hadn't played the first Nier, knew pretty much nothing about the series, and only had one loose online friend excited for it. But I thought the early trailers looked cool so I figured heck it and went for it anyway. (And vveerrrryyy nearly regretted the decision leading up to the launch, when all the dumb, gross 2B butt shit was happening.) In the end, though, it turned out to be my favorite game of all time and the best special edition of a game I've ever preordered thanks to the 2B figure (which I've since snatched up the matching 9S for), and the digital PO exclusive ps4 theme is one of my most used. That game was worth every damn penny.

Worst is FFXV followed by Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
FFXV not because I regret playing the game, but because I regret spending so much for an experience that let me down so hard. I got one of those super expensive special editions w/ the Noctis figure, and just... boy... was that game NOT worth that kind of money. Especially since it practically requires the DLC to feel halfway decent which meant I had to spend even more money on top of it in the end to try and redeem the experience. Shoulda just gone with the base version, man. (Fingers crossed I don't wind up with the same regret over FF7R lol.)
XC2 I went out on a limb for and got the special edition of as well (cuz, if it wasn't obvious by now, I'm a total sucker for those lol) and ended up hating the game and not even finishing it. Way too much jelly boob, panty shots, and Tora.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age: Inquisition. My god, no matter how much I want to make myself like that series, I cannot force myself to. I bought it at fucking launch and couldn't get past the Hinterlands. And I really rushed through that shit, too. I heard all the people say "IT GETS BETTER AFTER THE HINTERLANDS", and as soon as I was out I was still bored with the supposedly "better" parts of the game.

Runner-up is Arms. Even if it was a lot of fun, it had zero staying power, especially for $60.

Aug 28, 2019
The worst is anything I bought from GOG or 3D Realms before they admitted that the alt-right is their preferred customer base. GOG in particular told me pretty clearly that people like me have no business in their store.

Runner-up worst was probably Breath of the Wild. Not because it's the worst game, because it very obviously isn't, but because I paid full launch price for something I ultimately didn't care for because I let my curiosity override my skepticism. I wasn't expecting anything near what it was hyped up to be, and it was fun for a while, but I was still disappointed. Fallout 3 was the same scenario last gen.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
Best: Doom, RDR2 & Witcher 3

These three games were the most fun I've had in a single player campaign in the past 5 years.

Worst: SFV

Coming off one my favorite games of all time SFIV had me thinking this sequel would be next big thing, I couldn't have been more wrong in hindsight.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best: Hollow Knight
Paid an indie price for my GOTG.

Worst:
Nioh - Paid full price and got bored after some bosses and dropped the game.
FFXV - Also paid full price and PC port had a lot of problems with stuttering and high load times.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Best: Xbox One X for like 50 bucks due to a MS Store pricing error. I originally wanted to resell it, being a Playstation guy since PS1, but then I turned it on "just to see what it's like", looked at what Game Pass had to offer, tried Forza Horizon and... yeah, it's staying :)

Worst: Rage 2, what a total borefest that turned out to be.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best: LG C9 + RTX 2060, G-Sync is a game changer.

Worst: PS4. I bought it to play FFXV, Yakuza, Disgaea, Crash Trilogy, DJMAX and so many other games that ended up coming to PC later. On the bright side, Bloodborne and Driveclub are amazing, so there is that.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Worst:

SonicForcesArtwork.jpg

And I'm never gonna be able to live it down. It's the first game I've actively sold back to Gamestop since Lunar: Dragon Song.

Moskitokrebs

Oct 28, 2017
Best : Xbox game pass is just good, it doesn't need explanation.

Bad : mas effect Andromeda and Anthem both Bioware. Bioware died on these generation for me.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny.

Log in for 2 hours on Tuesday after reset, get loot rolls and then sod all to do the rest of the week because you can only earn loot from each event once per week.

Garbage.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Best:

Astro Bot - my PSVR is mostly collecting dust but that game alone was worth it. A magical experience that made me feel like a child again.

Worst:

RDR2 - felt like work and I just couldn't enjoy it

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
So many mentions of Mass Effect: Andromeda that its starting to even make me regret my Ā£3.50 purchase of it on Playstation Store šŸ¤£

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Best Yakuza 0. My GoTG and sent me on a 2 year long Yakuza adventure, catching up on the franchise, which is easily my favorite ever too.

Worst XB1, barely used it, before giving it to my brother. Game wise would probably be Xcom 2, not because it's quality, but because it was announced as the PS+ game a few days later.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Best: new pc, unlocking pc gaming on a high-end level

Worst: MGSV Collector's Edition. FUCK that game and FUCK that arm. "Replica of Big Boss' arm", yeah right.