• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Greetings :)

What's your best/Worst purchases have been this far?
A purchase that made you satisfied and happy that you spent money on it!

And a purchase that you regret the day that money left your wallet!

It could be a game, accessories, Service or a hardware.

Rank them from best to worst with reasons if possible :)

1- Red Dead Redemption 2 ( Best game ever created in my humble opinion) It really saved this gen for me. Made everything and anything else looks and feels inferior to me. I am just so happy playing it :)

2- Xbox Game Pass ( Second best investment, Saves me lots of money, Playing and discovering new games I otherwise wouldn't have bought or tried).

3- Xbox Halo 5 console edition ( bought this even though I had an Xbox) 500 dollars down the drain. Worst purchase I've made. The game made me hate that console and the day I purchased it.

It could be a long list but am narrowing it down to three myself.

So what's yours fellows Era users?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's been really satisfying to get lower budget indie games, the type that normally would not received physical releases, in physical form via companies like Limited Run Games. Been a pretty nice trend this gen, at least for me.
I'm particularly happy I got copies of Firewatch, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Donut County, Momodora and others.

At the very start of this gen I began buying up a lot of the classic survival horror games, since that's my favorite genre. This turned out well because these games became increasingly more uncommon over the following few years. Basically I lucked out and would've had to pay a lot more if I started collecting them later on.

I regret buying Farcry 5 and Horizon. I didn't realize how burnt out I was on the standard, kinda derivative open world game design. I still played through them, so it's no big deal.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem was by far my worst. Very rare I take games back in.

My best was probably my PS4P. Going back to a regular PS4 is terrible.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Best: GamePass. The value is absolutely insane.

Worst: No Man's Sky at launch. Wish I wouldn't have sold it though, because I've been itching to try it with Next.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Nier automata and last guardian ( full price too) will go down as the time where i realised that

1.If you think a game looks uninteresting, dont buy it no matter the hype until atleast a lower price.
2. Dont force yourself to play a game you dont enjoy.

God of war however will remain one of my favourite experiences. Didnt watch anything of it prior, just saw some 10's and though 'im sure it will be fine'. Ended up an absolute 10/10.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
1. HZD, digital at launch, didn't play, then bought DLC as soon as announced. Didn't enjoy the game at all.
2. Xenoblade 2. Finished the game, but kind of meh. The $100 collector's box is gorgeous though.
3. The Order 1886, it's a regret even at $4.99.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Best: Death Steanding - flawed masterpiece that surprised the hell out of me by becoming my GotG.

Worst: Anthem - not the worst game I played, but the biggest let down by far.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Best is hands down Hollow Knight. I bought it on sale and it felt like such a steal I ended up buying some copies for friends and buying myself the physical copy as well.

Worst is probably just a few indie titles. Escapists 2 comes to mind. Not a bad title at all, I just haven't had time to play and I have much more interesting stuff in my back log. I might as well of just kept the funds in my eShop account.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Best: god of war. Enjoyed every second of the game epic story, and great game play.

worst: breath of the wild, when on with expectations, ended up super disappointed.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Worst: has to be Borderlands 3. $60 game that has some of the worst PC optimization I've witnessed in years. Had to fight Epic on Paypal to even get a refund. Abysmal experience overall and a total waste of my time. Games like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 make these poor, sloppy efforts stick out like a sore thumb.

Best: LG OLED C8. My god everything looks amazing. Even old SDR games have new life injected into them when you see them displayed so perfectly. Made me totally abandon my 144hz 1440p Freesync bby.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Witcher 3 would certainly be the best purchase I've made I'd say. So much entertainment for a measly $85 (expansion packs included).

FFXV's probably the worst. Not much of a FF player but decided to give it a shot, practically had to force myself to finish it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Best: Gamepass / Switch - Not much to say, you know the reasons.

Worst: Red Dead Redemption 2 - Have tried several times to get into this game. I cannot get into it, and I feel like such an idiot because I almost never, EVER preorder or Day 1 anything at all. I thought to myself, "it's Rockstar, the reviews are glowing, how can I go wrong?" It's only $60 so I'll get over it, but I should have known better.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Best: Yakuza 0. Easy. Had basically no idea what this series was about but heard enough positive chatter from people I respect. Currently making my way through Yakuza 4 and will complete the whole series in order.

Worst: EA NHL series. Loved these games in the past, and the gameplay is still fun. But the "pay-to-win" aspects for Ultimate Team are so disgusting it made me swear off the series.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
Best was Destiny 1 - I sunk hundreds of hours into that game and played it every night for a year. Great value and I had a great time playing.
Worst was Bloodborne - I never liked From Software games, nothing about Bloodborne looked good to me, but I stupidly wasted good PSN money on it anyway.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Resident Evil 2 was the best purchase i made, hours of enjoyment and such a faithful remake to the original.

Battleborne is by far the worst purchase. Bought it thinking it would hold me and my friends over while we waited for overwatch to release, ended up playing less than an hour of it, if even that.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Xenoblaxe Chronicles 2 went from a relatively anticipated game for me to probably the game I hate the absolute most. And I somehow put almost 100 hours into that game.

Getting into FFXIV is probably the best choice I've made in a game overall. 4 years and thousands of hours later...

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Remnant From the Ashes and MK11 for my bests. DIdn't buy many games though, so no particular dissapointment on my end.

@Edit
It's from Generation, i thought it was this year only.

The Witcher 3 and expansions, got in a sale, put hundreds of hours, and still wanna go back someday.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Best: The Switch. Such a brilliant little console. Definitely perfected the "console games on the go" feature where the PSP and Vita tried, but failed. It's so great to just be able to take it anywhere and whip out a game of Smash or trade some Pokémon.

Worst was by far Mass Effect Andromeda. Such a disappointment. Words cannot express my displeasure for this game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Best: Vita is this generation, and despite the issues with the platform I've put waaaay too much time and money into that platform.
Worst: Ni no Kuni II.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
God of War, BOTW and RDR2 are the best purchases.

Xbox 1 was the worst purchase. No reason to have one if you have a decent PC.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
My best purchase(s) would definitely be the handful of annual Humble Monthly subscriptions I've been through.

A whole host of fantastic games including many great little ones that I would never have given a second glance otherwise.

Worst...not too sure about that. Maybe Mario Maker 2? I was initially excited for it but the game just sort of came and went without any of the lasting fanfare the original game had.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best - Destiny/Destiny 2; I've put literal thousands of hours into the franchise and it's only going to get better for me. Probably my game of the generation if I'm being honest

Worst - Anthem; while I did enjoy the flying and the open world created, just about everything else was so incredibly bad and what made it worse is how games like the Destiny and the Division already solved the problems the game had. Probably the only game this generation where I actually want my money back

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Best: Total War Warhammer series

+500 hours of best in genre strategy gameplay in a setting perfectly suited for the mechanics

Worst: FO 76, even though I actually like some parts of it. I just loathe that I gave money to what that game has turned into (and frankly started as, though it was easier for me to handwave it back at release)

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Best: Rocket League. Free on PlayStation Plus. Hundreds and hundreds of hours. Bought DLC and microtransactions because I felt bad about getting it for free.

Worst: My Time at Portia. Thought I would like it cause I love Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley. Game sucks though, I couldn't play more than an hour. $40 down the drain.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
My worst:

I was only disappointed in Anthem at the closed alpha/demo stage, when what it was became readily apparent. Since I ostensibly rented it, it doesn't qualify.

For me, I bought a Battlefield One S. While the HDR was neat and the 4K player was cool, it was a waste of money considering the X came out (and replaced it) a year later.

As far as games, I regret purchasing Fallen Order instead of grabbing a month of Origin Access Premier for it. I also regretted paying full price for Super Mario Odyssey and grabbing the Collector's "Ghost" Edition of Destiny 1.

My best:

My gaming PC was quite an investment but it will be the top of the line, or close to it, throughout the next generation. Plus, I just absolutely love the flexibility of PC gaming.

The Pro has given me some of the greatest games of the generation including God of War and Horizon.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Best : Bloodborne, Monster Hunter World & Iceborn, Yakuza 0
Worst : Goat Simulator (just for trophie :( ) Battlefield 4 on PC.

Apr 3, 2018
Best: Destiny 1/2. Sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into these games. Had some really good times. Took a few years but I finally hit my burnout point and uninstalled it. But it was a fun ride while it lasted. Definitely got my money's worth.

Worst: PS4 Pro. Just a glorified paper weight for me at this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 is my best purchase of the generation by a wide margin. I quite literally bought it on impulse at an early release event for Batman Arkham Knight just to be a contrarian and it ended up being my favorite RPG of the past several years, made even better by some incredible DLC.

Worst purchase...probably Sekiro. It's not a bad game but it is 1000% not what I want out of an action game. Endlessly frustrating - it actually made me so upset at one point that it compromised my immune system and I got sick for a week because of it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Worst was the Xbox One no doubt. Got it at launch before prices went into freefall... don't even have the damn thing anymore, my brothers broke so I gave him mine as my two favourite games on the platform are on Switch now anyway.

Best is hard to pick, there's been several. Hardware wise might well be the PS4 Pro just for the slight improvements in performance for some games (like fixing screen tearing in Yakuza 6). Software wise again is a hard choice - DJMax Respect has been a constant source of enjoyment since release and the DLC has been a blast. Having the Yakuza and Shenmue series all on one platform is glorious though, 100s of hours of fun there.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been happy with my console purchases.

For games, a game I get at full price physically and sell back without finishing counts as "bad" for me, and a game I get at more than twenty dollars USD digital and don't get close to finishing counts as "bad" for me.

My worst game purchases this gen therefore include:

God of War
Mario Tennis Aces
Runner3
Civilization VI

My best list would just be my favorite games this gen:

Super Mario Odyssey
Spider-Man
Rayman Legends
Ratchet and Clank
Yakuza 0
Football Manager 18
PES 18

Etc., etc.

That's it. I generally know my own tastes pretty well by now.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best is PUBG on Xbox. I have something like 600 hours into it. Runner-up would be Fallout 4 on PS4 that I put about 200 hours into.

Worst is Division 2 because its about the only one I actually regret buying. I sort of let people talking about it convince me it was something more than it actually is. I mean its fine, but its a game I could have skipped and not missed out on anything. Oh, and I didn't care for Dead Cells either. Really wished I hadn't bought that one at the time, but I've made my peace with it since. Division 2 I'm sort of still sore about.

OP
OP
Detective

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Anthem wins the price for worst purchase. I didn't fell for the hype. Really wanted to buy it at first but for some reason I didn't :p

Witcher 3 is really one of the best purchases too. Just didn't want to make a long list of best and worst .

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have like 50 switch games and all have been great except for a few duds ( that may yet be redeemed)

Crash Trilogy
Thimbleweed park

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Best: Bloodborne, got me into the rest of the From Souls games/Sekiro and now they are arguably my favorite games of all time

Worst: Destiny 2. I have tried to get into this several times, even buying dlc thinking that the next one will be the piece that makes me "get it"...and I still dont. Not for me I guess.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Best is probably my Switch. I was definitely in a console rut before I got it and I have had just an extremely wonderful time with it.

Worst is probably buying PUBG. I'm not really a fan of shooters at all but I liked watching streams so I thought I would give it a try. I pretty quickly determined that it wasn't for me (but not quite quick enough to still get a refund) because I did not have any fun with the experience at all.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best: Game Pass is crazy, but it's terrible for my time management! Too many games.

Worst: OG Xbox One. Should have waited for XB1X.
Runner-up - Anthem - what happened??

(I actually liked Andromeda mostly)

Last edited:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Best (so far) - Witcher 3 Collector's Edition. It's the only CE box I have ever kept. It's the best affordable CE I have ever seen and is honestly one of my prized possessions.

Worst - Anthem. I was so hyped, got into the closed beta for this wayyy back when and was hoping what we experienced was a small slice of the game...........................hooooooooooooo boy. Biggest waste of money