• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope. I did not say that. She is not the problem. Those that were democratic chairs and party representatives should have been labeled as such by CNN though for transparency. I think you are intentionally being obtuse here.

You all know transparency about affiliations is a basic ethical tenant in politics right?

Sanders is running for the Democratic nomination and the town hall took place in a heavily Democratic city. So he shouldn't talk to Democratic chairs and representatives?

Like...... he really can't win the nomination any other way.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do think it's weird that any affiliation with the Democratic party disqualifies you from being an average american

And no I don't blame CNN because they didn't dig through her fucking timeline to find out she was an intern the crazy people did

Is the goal of the harassers to make CNN vet town halls and produce any evidence that they may be linked to the democratic establishment so that they can... dismiss their questions and harass them?

What even is the goal here?

Again I ask, what does it matter that she interns for a lobbying firm if the question is genuinely good and necessary?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The thing is the attendees were average everyday Americans.
Right, everyday average Americans are local party leadership that drive the policy discourse of a party. AGAIN. Not the college student.

And again before this goes in a circle I'm not saying they should be harassed either. They definitely should not be. Just that cnn should have been more transparent about their positions.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Right, everyday average Americans are local party leadership that drive the policy discourse of a party. AGAIN. Not the college student.

And again before this goes in a circle I'm not saying they should be harassed either. They definitely should not be. Just that cnn should have been more transparent about their positions.

WHYYY should they be?

What difference does it maaaaaake

they asked good questionsssssss

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Asking for disclosure of every person's political ties, no matter how minor, when that was what led to this student getting harassed strikes me as naive at best.

It's fucking strange how easily this thread brushed over the whole "harassment" part. We're focused more on who should disclose a person's information than what people in the Democratic base are willing to do with that information.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Sanders is running for the Democratic nomination and the town hall took place in a heavily Democratic city. So he shouldn't talk to Democratic chairs and representatives?

Like...... he really can't win the nomination any other way.

Jesus Christ. Of course he can, but the viewing audience should know that's who he is interacting with! That's all I'm saying.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the goal of the harassers to make CNN vet town halls and produce any evidence that they may be linked to the democratic establishment so that they can... dismiss their questions and harass them?

What even is the goal here?

Again I ask, what does it matter that she interns for a lobbying firm if the question is genuinely good and necessary?

The question can be good and necessary and her link to a lobbying firm can be problematic. Why can't it be both?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The question can be good and necessary and her link to a lobbying firm can be problematic. Why can't it be both?

What is problematic about her link to a lobbying firm? Nobody has yet explained what any of their political affiliations have to do with the content of their questions or what a viewer would do with that information.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
WHYYY should they be?

What difference does it maaaaaake

they asked good questionsssssss

Yes they did and I'm not debating that they were good questions, but CNN intentionally veiling their direct affiliations within the party puts the town hall's motives into question. It's just shady for unnecessary reasons. It's all just unnecessary complication.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ. Of course he can, but the viewing audience should know that's who he is interacting with! That's all I'm saying.

They already knew who he was interacting with.

Why would it matter if no more info about them is leaked.

It's not something to give a shit about.

They're not minions of the DNC trying to find ways to sacrifice Bernie to the Jacksss God.

Yes they did and I'm not debating that they were good questions, but CNN intentionally veiling their direct affiliations within the party puts their motives into question. It's just shady for unnecessary reasons.

HOW? HOW IS IT SHADY?!

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is the attendees were average everyday Americans. They also happen to be politically active, something more average everyday Americans should strive for.
Kk i had feeling someone would have this response that misses the point. Do you think people might have different responses to the questions based on what they were described as? CNN sure does, thats why this isn't the first time they've mislabeled people. It makes for better T.V if they were something everyone could relate to like a mother it lets them play up this brand. However this is a townhall and about asking a politician questions and them being active in politics(not talking about the lady being harrassed) would be relevant, but CNN doesn't mention that because their trying to keep up this bs brand.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only defense I've seen of people digging up and exposing this information is from TYT, who imply after every exposed questioner that they are somehow part of a larger conspiracy against Bernie Sanders.

Kk i had feeling someone would have this response that misses the point. Do you think people might have different responses to the questions based on what they were described as? CNN sure does, thats why this isn't the first time they've mislabeled people. It makes for better T.V if they were something everyone could relate to like a mother it lets them play up this brand. However this is a townhall and about asking a politician questions and them being active in politics(not talking about the lady being harrassed) would be relevant, but CNN doesn't mention that because their trying to keep up this bs brand.

Oh don't bring up the dastardly political agent who was a mother of two that asked about childcare. SHE WAS THE WORST! What's MORE relevant to the question asked, that she was a mother of two? Or that she was a political hatchet woman sent to destroy Bernie Sanders?

Yes they did and I'm not debating that they were good questions, but CNN intentionally veiling their direct affiliations within the party puts their motives into question. It's just shady for unnecessary reasons.

No it doesn't put their motives into question. The only thing that puts their motives into question is this kind of ridiculous conspiratorial thinking.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They already knew who he was interacting with.

Why would it matter if no more info about them is leaked.

It's not something to give a shit about.

They're not minions of the DNC trying to find ways to sacrifice Bernie to the Jacksss God.

HOW? HOW IS IT SHADY?!
Because as party leaders or influencers, they may have a vested interest in putting their thumb on the scale one way or another, and as the viewer I want to be able to evaluate that possibility.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Forum: *Criticizes harrassers on the left*

A certain segment of left era: "Everyone here irrationally hates the left!"

Those same people: *Defends harrassment because conspiracy*

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The only defense I've seen of people digging up and exposing this information is from TYT, who imply after every exposed questioner that they are somehow part of a larger conspiracy against Bernie Sanders.

Oh don't bring up the dastardly political agent who was a mother of two that asked about childcare. SHE WAS THE WORST!

No it doesn't put their motives into question. The only thing that puts their motives into question is this kind of ridiculous conspiratorial thinking.

You can't be this obtuse. Networks and the people that own them, and party leaders OF COURSE have favorites in a race. It's not conspiratorial. It's the nature of politics.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a mess, people trying to take advantage of the situation to push their political agenda unintentionally or not.

Instead of you know, worrying about the woman who got harrassed and doxxed.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is problematic about her link to a lobbying firm? Nobody has yet explained what any of their political affiliations have to do with the content of their questions or what a viewer would do with that information.

Because she's a fucking intern.

I'm going to clarify, her internship is not the problem, CNN not disclosing was the problem. Outside of that, that question has been answered several times over the last few pages and I'm not going to repeat it again. The conversation at this point is circular so I'm gonna just bail.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Forum: *Criticizes harrassers on the left*

A certain segment of left era: "Everyone here irrationally hates the left!"

Those same people: *Defends harrassment because conspiracy*

Please quote me someone in here who is saying the harassment is justified. I have yet to see that. We are all in agreement that no one should have been harassed.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to clarify, her internship is not the problem, CNN not disclosing was the problem. Outside of that, that question has been answered several times over the last few pages and I'm not going to repeat it again. The conversation at this point is circular so I'm gonna just bail.

You don't need to know she's a fucking intern, it means nothing.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
How is it problematic? "can be" is a pretty piss poor excuse to attack CNN here if there isn't an actual problematic reason for a questioner to be linked to a lobbying group when she's a college student interning there in no executive position that furthers the interest of the lobby group. She asked a question about sexual harassment, as a woman. In what way is her lobby group benefited by this? Explain to me like I'm 5, please.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because as party leaders or influencers, they may have a vested interest in putting their thumb on the scale one way or another, and as the viewer I want to be able to evaluate that possibility.

So the information is relevant because it may be part of a larger conspiracy...

So, lets imagine, that Debbie Wasserman Shultz showed up to the town hall in an ill-fitting wig and sunglasses and CNN described her as "Resident of Florida", but then went on to ask a very good and very insightful question of Bernie Sanders.

Does that invalidate the question or the answer? If Sanders flubs that answer, is he somehow exempted because the person who asked the question was Debbie Wasserman Shultz in an ill-fitting wig and sunglasses?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Local county dem party leaders aren't influencers lol.

My fucking grandpa was in a county chair role. Calling him a "influencer" or "party leader" is beyond laughable.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with the conspiracy stuff (and also why it's nonsense) goes back to the 2016 primary and the ridiculous "us vs them" narrative that emerged where the "DNC" was trying to stop Sanders, where "DNC" meant the entire Democratic party as a whole, because the people pushing this narrative saw the two things as synonyms. The first issue is that the "DNC" is an organization which is primarily tasked with running national Presidential nominations and the convention every 4 years. The Dems are a very, very decentralized group of organizations in general, unlike the GOP. The second issue with this narrative is that when the Dems hold the white house, the DNC head serves at the pleasure of the President, and is not elected by party representatives. (I suspect we may want to change this- it's meant to avoid conflict between the two when the President is the party head but party management is not the same skill as governance.) And the third issue is that Barack Obama made it no secret who his preferred successor was among the potential 2020 candidates. There wasn't some grand conspiracy from the "Democratic Illuminati", it really was as simple as "Obama wanted Clinton to be his successor and was applying pressure/greasing the wheels behind the scenes for that to happen without an ugly fight like 2008." , in large part because he and Clinton nearly tied that year. Unfortunately for everyone, attempting to avoid any conflict probably made the resulting conflict worse.

Going back to the issue with the misconceptions about the DNC and how it's important here -The DNC generally doesn't have much influence on state/local parties, they're relatively independent once elections occur. Local parties vote for State party reps, states reps vote to see who reps their constituents in national DNC elections. And you can see the idea that this was some massive party-wide conspiracy theory blow up in the voting data - http://graphics.wsj.com/elections/2016/how-clinton-won/

Clinton won almost 2/3rds of Dem-ID'd voters in the primaries. Sanders won almost 2/3rds of I-ID'd voters in the primaries. But in both those cases, they got a little over a third of the other chunk of voters. There were plenty of self-ID'd Dems who voted Sanders and vice versa. Someone being part of the Democratic Party didn't mean they were unwilling to vote for Sanders. It doesn't mean their questions are unfair just because of their party ID.

It was wrong of CNN to mislabel a county chair as a "mother of two." That's a legitimate problem with CNN's behavior we've seen before on a bipartisan basis. But it's not ok to try and claim people were being disingenous with their questions just because they're party-affiliated in any way when asking reasonable questions, because being a Dem didn't mean you were unwilling to vote for him.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't be this obtuse. Networks and the people that own them, and party leaders OF COURSE have favorites in a race. It's not conspiratorial. It's the nature of politics.

Again I ask, assuming that CNN even knew the information that was doxxed, what does CNN gain from withholding that information?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Please quote me someone in here who is saying the harassment is justified. I have yet to see that. We are all in agreement that no one should have been harassed.
Gamer Gate also paid lip service to being opposed to the harassment while simultaneously pushing conspiracy theories to make that harrassment seem closer to justified.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamer Gate also paid lip service to being opposed to the harassment while simultaneously pushing conspiracy theories to make that harrassment seem closer to justified.

Not only Goober Gate, but lots of harassment campaigns come up with ridiculous justifications for their harassment.

I don't like the harassment BUT WE NEED TO KNOW, an extremely common refrain of conspiratorial actors.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So the information is relevant because it may be part of a larger conspiracy...

So, lets imagine, that Debbie Wasserman Shultz showed up to the town hall in an ill-fitting wig and sunglasses and CNN described her as "Resident of Florida", but then went on to ask a very good and very insightful question of Bernie Sanders.

Does that invalidate the question or the answer? If Sanders flubs that answer, is he somehow exempted because the person who asked the question was Debbie Wasserman Shultz in an ill-fitting wig and sunglasses?

No! Not a fucking conspiracy. ALL people have an agenda in politics. That's not bad. It's just true, but that agenda shouldn't be veiled when the network that's airing it is trying give off an air of impartiality.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No! Not a fucking conspiracy. ALL people have an agenda in politics. That's not bad. It's just true, but that agenda shouldn't be veiled when the network that's airing it is trying give off an air of impartiality.

So, if all people have an agenda, should you just assume that the questioner has some kind of agenda? What does the specifics of their political affiliations matter in this case?

If it's a democratic county chair does that somehow change how you process the question and the answer given? Are you more willing to accept the questions of a "mother of two" over the questions from "CEO of PR firm"?

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like even if she was a..operative or whatever the fuck. Her question was COMPLETELY legitimate. Y'all are attacking the fucking messenger and not the fact that Bernie has had harassment in his campaign and he needs to address it.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Would you people be more happy if the room was instead filled with independents, libertarians, and republicans? Or are the only people allowed to ask non biased questions of Bernie Sanders his die hard supporters because clearly, that's fair and balanced.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Questioner: Hey Bernie, why haven't you given a good answer to the sexual harassment that was centered around your previous campaign?

Also Questioner: *gets harassed*

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Would you people be more happy if the room was instead filled with independents, libertarians, and republicans? Or are the only people allowed to ask non biased questions of Bernie Sanders his die hard supporters because clearly, that's fair and balanced.

I think they would be more happy if they were just honest.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So, if all people have an agenda, should you just assume that the questioner has some kind of agenda? What does the specifics of their political affiliations matter in this case?

If it's a democratic county chair does that somehow change how you process the question and the answer given? Are you more willing to accept the questions of a "mother of two" over the questions from "CEO of PR firm"?

Yes I am more likely to view "mother of two" with less discernment than a CEO of a PR firm. Because the CEO likely has more clout and pull, so I may be more skeptical of their line of questioning and it's motives.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The problem in this thread is a lot of people are posting the vapid "of course harassment is bad" but they're being very coy to say that the shit this woman got is what they're condemning while they seem totally fine with TYT posting her info in the first place. You don't get to go online as a famous person or entity, post someone's address (even if it's public!), and then shrug when people do what is, quite frankly, obviously what they were going to do because that was obviously the intent of it. Phone numbers don't get posted on 4chan so people can send them cool memes or nice messages.

I don't think any of this reflects on Sanders or the majority of his voters. Rather, I think it reflects incredibly strongly on the TYT and the people that watch them. There's no reason to post that woman's FB account unless you want people to go to it. Any real journalist would tell you that. I'd hope she could sue them for inciting the harassment in the first place, but digital harassment never sees any punishment.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I think they would be more happy if they were just honest.
Don't you think people who showed up to a Bernie Sanders town hall might actually be interested in voting for him already? Or is everyone there asking questions of him that are uncomfortable to answer possibly paid DNC operatives all because CNN didn't disclose the fact that people in the audience were active Democrat party participants.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns Surrounding Harassment; Ignoring Mod Post
I'm not sure I can handle a year and a half primary season if we're starting off already like the 2016 primary's late game dumpster fire, augh.

But but but we need to demonize anyone who likes Bernie because they're all like this. Clearly.
Using a disgusting incident like this as a weapon just reeks of not caring about the victim and more about trying to smear others.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

o no pls don't harass me

Yes I am more likely to view "mother of two" with less discernment than a CEO of a PR firm. Because the CEO likely has more clout and pull, so I may be more skeptical of their line of questioning and it's motives.

So, if the question is genuine and necessary, but the person asking the question has "clout and pull" that somehow means their motivation for asking is... malicious?

And that somehow practically changes the question and answer?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The problem in this thread is a lot of people are posting the vapid "of course harassment is bad" but they're being very coy to say that the shit this woman got is what they're condemning while they seem totally fine with TYT posting her info in the first place. You don't get to go online as a famous person or entity, post someone's address (even if it's public!), and then shrug when people do what is, quite frankly, obviously what they were going to do because that was obviously the intent of it. Phone numbers don't get posted on 4chan so people can send them cool memes or nice messages.

I don't think any of this reflects on Sanders or the majority of his voters. Rather, I think it reflects incredibly strongly on the TYT and the people that watch them. There's no reason to post that woman's FB account unless you want people to go to it. Any real journalist would tell you that. I'd hope she could sue them for inciting the harassment in the first place, but digital harassment never sees any punishment.
This really should be the takeaway. It's not the first time TYT have shown their asses in this manner and it won't be the last. And it wouldn't be so bad if they did this if their fanbase didn't play along.

Status
Not open for further replies.