• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TYT did no doxxing, this witch hunt is insane. All public as the info they placarded at the townhall, but yes, people need to not harass individuals like interns.

Honestly, this has been a mess. CNN probably disingenuously invites Bernie, invites DNC and lobbyist members to the mix, does not disclose it until later. I was surprised when they invited Bernie at all but no one should be harassed. There is pointed criticism needed of CNN and that new Trump radical content editor.
Can we stop with the conspiracy theories? My god.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Attempted thread derail, mod whining, recently returned from ban for same.
His ban message looks pretty clear to me, especially concerning the content of said post.
I'm poking fun at your typo. The content of his post looks pretty reasonable to me. Criticizing the moderation team should be fair ground, especially when they come in with a heavy hand to curtail discussion so it only focuses on talking points they deem acceptable.

Yeah, I don't think you can really blame Bernie for this. He's already told people to tone it down.

It would be nice to see him call out TYT though.
I've never watched TYT a day in my life but they seem like your typical internet "leftist" fandom, and all fandoms are toxic.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Again, TYT explicitly doxxes multiple people in that video. Posting the exact firm one young lady works at, the exactly PR company one man is the CEO of, a fucking PICTURE OF THE MOTHER OF ONE WOMAN. There is absolutely no reason to post these exact details while also riling up their viewers with frothy conspiracy nonsense.

Just because the information is public, does not mean an extremely popular and fervent YouTube brand needs to aggregate that information in an antagonistic way.
TYT should handle this better, agreed. It's important to point out the specific lobbies of the question askers though, not sure what the correct line to tread is.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, equating TYT to Alex Jones. I think this made it clear whether you're arguing in good faith here.

After watching the video Powered Egg begged to be posted in the OP... I completely agree with Cheebo. TYT is pushing invalid conspiracy theories while framing their position as ones of victims of the establishment. They are explicit in their condemnation of the establishment VERSUS Bernie Sanders, as if he is somehow not a part of the establishment. They needlessly dox people simply because they asked tough questions of Bernie. All of this is done with the excuse that they're "fighting back" against the mainstream media.

These are all tactics of conspiratorial blowhards like Alex Jones.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
38% are government employees(Mostly congressional staff). 27% are in private business consulting(Let me just say, these are 90% lobbyist firms). Working in politics doesn't mean you're rich(Though, D.C. Median income is pretty damn high), and it especially doesn't mean you're rich when D.C. is an extremely high cost of living city.

So, what I mean to say, D.C. can both have a very diverse population that isn't the wealthiest WHILE having the majority of its residents in political industry.
Where did you find those numbers at? And is that residents or measurements of the people who work in DC? There are residents who are retired, don't work, or work outside of DC. Likewise, people in politics may choose not to actually reside in DC itself.

I'm seeing 364,000 direct gov't employees, but 960,500 in "professional, business and other services" which could be anything like banking or marketing, 457,300 in education and health care, etc.

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2018/02/exactly-many-washingtonians-work-federal-government/

The "BernieBros" stigma is most relevant to those who actively want it to be stigmatic and seem invested in perpetuating it as such. It's an alluring short-hand dismissal of lots of people that invokes a singular image.
I don't find it pejorative, it sounds kind of cool lol. I think it must be the same way right wingers felt when they were called 'deplorable' and started printing up shirts.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie needs to cut ties with both TYT and the Justice Dems completely. It's obvious that these groups will resort to anything to prop up their ideal candidate and will blast everyone who doesn't fall in line with them. The defenders in this thread are appalling, the video posted by TYT led to further harassment and public shaming of this woman to the point it required police action and TYT appear to not give one iota of a fuck about it. That's the takeaway here, not if CNN was bad for highlighting people's positions the way they did. That's completely irrelevant to the issue of a woman being harassed by Bernie supporters. Bernie needs to put his foot down and tell his supporters to stop, full stop. He needs to pull himself and his staff away from TYT and their organizations. He needs to support woman and not the groups that encourage harassment in his name.

This is an extremely easy concept to grasp, stop with this #NotAllBernieSupporters crap.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TYT should handle this better, agreed. It's important to point out the specific lobbies of the question askers though, not sure what the correct line to tread is.
They didnt try to find their facebooks because they suspected CNN lied about their careers (they had no reason to assume so or even consider that). They looked them up on facebook and so on because they asked Bernie tough questions and were trying to dig up any dirt they could find on them because of this.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

This woman is an intern while she studies at college.

She is not a lobbyist, should not be painted, it is actually incredibly dishonest to do so.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, OP's source link disagrees with his allegations against TYT:

Moments after Nasab asked that question, FOX 5 learned that several threats online were directed toward her, which forced her to delete all of her social media accounts. We also confirmed that Nasab spoke with the American University Police Department shortly after.

Did TYT air their segment as a live reaction to the CNN town hall or was it hours or days after?

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I posted about her on 2016 but my wife and I have a close friend who went full Bernie Brobot during the primary to the point we couldn't talk politics with her after the primary selection.

If it wasn't for her and her extended network - I'd probably think that Bernie Bros were the Russian Twitter bots that used to (and still do to some extent)reply instantly to Trump's tweets en masse.

But she and a few other real folk were deep in the tank so our Facebook exposure to the stories and conspiracy nonsense they were passing around was deep and revealing.

Funnily enough my wife and I were both leaning Bernie right up until he went dnc conspiracy and seemed to forget that he actually wasn't a party member... Hillary was always an establishment competent choice who knew the ropes - the only excitement I could muster for her was her gender, experience and intelligence.

Watching our friend spend months unknowingly working for the GOP and the GRU was shocking. Couldn't tell her ANYTHING - primary votes were altered! Hillary made a deal with the Rothschilds! She murdered her rivals! All of it.

At the time it was just embarrassing - and until we saw the razor thin margins after the general - it wasn't a big deal outside of concern for her environment. That week it became apparent that everything counted - Green Party - bots - Comey - Hillary sneezing - everything made a difference.

So I will hear out legitimate Bernie supporters on policy and hope for more evolution from Bernie himself - and if he releases his taxes and keeps a lid on his potboiler elements then I can get behind him again should he somehow manage to be or get on a unified dnc ticket -- but whenever I hear anyone defend what went on in that community as irrelevant (and is unquestionably happening again) - I first point to the historically close margins - then to AL Gore and Florida and then if they can't concede at least the arithmetic then I can't really assume clear eyed intent.

My prediction is that it's an energy or paste that can't be put back in the bottle or tube - but I don't think it's hopeless. Combative lack of self reflection or binary attacks on every other candidate is a bad look for a movement that should be pragmatic and serious about this country first, and party and candidate have to be secondary considerations after that.

I want to see hardcore Bernie supporters speak rationally and positively about other candidate's chances or combinations. Maybe someone who disagrees with my position and perspective can point me to where that's happening. I'm happy to see that - if it's happening. Would be a big shift and a positive one.

Rational?? Really? You are providing personal anicdotes about morons and trying to act like it is core to the biggest lefist movement in US electoral politics maybe ever. The internet has broken everyone's brain. It's telling that your list of reasons for Hilary losing include everything but the fault of Hilary. Blaming everybody else is really easy.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shit, OP's source link disagrees with his allegations against TYT:

Did TYT air their segment as a live reaction to the CNN town hall or was it hours or days after?

Yes, TYT aired a live segment of the Town Hall. As mentioned in the video that Powdered Egg posted. In fact, one of the commentators at one point mentions that information was dug up during that live segment.

So.......

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bernie needs to cut ties with both TYT and the Justice Dems completely. It's obvious that these groups will resort to anything to prop up their ideal candidate and will blast everyone who doesn't fall in line with them. The defenders in this thread are appalling, the video posted by TYT led to further harassment and public shaming of this woman to the point it required police action and TYT appear to not give one iota of a fuck about it. That's the takeaway here, not if CNN was bad for highlighting people's positions the way they did. That's completely irrelevant to the issue of a woman being harassed by Bernie supporters. Bernie needs to put his foot down and tell his supporters to stop, full stop. He needs to pull himself and his staff away from TYT and their organizations. He needs to support woman and not the groups that encourage harassment in his name.

This is an extremely easy concept to grasp, stop with this #NotAllBernieSupporters crap.
You should stop drawing these ridiculous equivalences and using good faith social movements in an attempt to shut down your political opponents.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame TYT didn't keep an archive of the livestream, as it's hard to define their error without it.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie needs to distance himself from the conspiracy contingent on the left, it's toxic af. I don't think he will though.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
The stigma of the bernie bros is going to be real difficult for Bernie to wash his hands of, especially given the outside factors that want to keep the Bernie Bros schism alive.
I don't know, Obama seems to have washed his hand off the "Obama boys" stigma pretty quick, no one even mentions it around here.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Can we stop with the conspiracy theories? My god.
Fine.
This woman is an intern while she studies at college.

She is not a lobbyist, should not be painted, it is actually incredibly dishonest to do so.
Hmm I hear you, but where is the line? And why hide this? Is it wrong to not be convinced that CNN did not had the best intentions in their questioner line-up?

I get it, this does not need to go further into deep state bullshit or conspiracy theory but it's not nothing as CNN even reacted to it.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any form of doxxing and harassment is despicable. I'm glad Sanders denounced this behavior. If he's going to be president, he'll have to be ready for these tough types of questions from anyone, and regardless of who these people may be, they should feel absolutely free to ask any candidate any question they want without being harassed for it. That's the only way this works.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fine.

Hmm I hear you, but where is the line? And why hide this? Is it wrong to not be convinced that CNN did not had the best intentions in their questioner line-up?

I get it, this does not need to go further into deep state bullshit or conspiracy theory but it's not nothing as CNN even reacted to it.

I don't think they were hiding it, I just think it was deemed irrelevant. The fact that she's a student in DC is far more relevant to the question that was asked, not her internship at some DC lobbying firm.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine.

It's wrong because it was "found" because they attempted to doxx her for asking Bernie a tough question. They weren't digging into her facebook/linkedin for innocent reasons. There is no innocent spin to explain why they started searchng her out after a tough question. It was to dig up dirt on her because they didn't like the question she asked.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Well we draw the line far beyond interns at a lobbyist firm while pursing her education

And what do you mean hide.

She's a fucking intern, that shit doesn't need to be posted under her name

But you're right it's all just a conspiracy.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well we draw the line far beyond interns at a lobbyist firm while pursing her education

And what do you mean hide.

She's a fucking intern, that shit doesn't need to be posted under her name

But you're right it's all just a conspiracy.

To add, the information that TYT dug up and put out there for their rabid fanbase went even beyond simply "she's an intern at a lobbying firm". I just don't understand why people think it would be relevant or necessary information to frame the question.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Not the hill I will die on. Still not convinced of any conspiracy but totally not as convinced like some of you that it's nothing.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you find those numbers at? And is that residents or measurements of the people who work in DC? There are residents who are retired, don't work, or work outside of DC. Likewise, people in politics may choose not to actually reside in DC itself.

I'm seeing 364,000 direct gov't employees, but 960,500 in "professional, business and other services" which could be anything like banking or marketing, 457,300 in education and health care, etc.

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2018/02/exactly-many-washingtonians-work-federal-government/
Read your own source:

The office's monthly report said, as of November 2017, the federal government directly employed 364,000 people in the D.C. area. About 54 percent of those jobs were in the District itself.

AND THEN:

Local government employment is a close second, employing just shy of 341,000 people in the D.C. metro — up 2.8 percent from November 2016.

So, that's 700k people directly in government alone. We don't have exact numbers for how many of that 960k is employed in lobbying firms, yes.

But, let me put it this way:
https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/
There are 11.5k registered feaderal lobbyists(These are businesses not people) in D.C. Each of these lobbyists have their own firms and staff that is, if anything, greater than the thousands of people that each of the hundreds of congressmen employ. And their firms are mostly going to be based in D.C. for obvious reasons. And then these lobbyists have consultants that they work with who have their own firms but aren't called "lobbyists". My point is, it beggars belief that the 960k in professional business isn't mostly tied to the lobbying industry in one way or the other. This also isn't even to talk about DNC and RNC firms, advertising firms that are there to get that sweet campaign cash, and otherwise.

In either case, I believe I've sufficiently proven that, if you were to do a completely random sample in D.C., you're gonna have a large percentage of political operatives.

If you do a completely random samples in D.C. Democratic primary voters, you're gonna have a large percentage of those be political operatives for the democratic party.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Fine.

I think it's fine to think CNN is awful. CNN is generally awful regardless of the specifics of this situation and frankly people should stop watching cable news entirely as it is designed to damage your understanding of current events.

If thinking CNN is awful leads you to believe that they got Democrats to be in this town hall then I guess that's...fine? Seems weird to me, if they hated Bernie shouldn't they get Ben Shapiro to ask questions or something? Like seems kind of telling that the assumption is that CNN would torpedo Bernie with his worst enemies and that those worst enemies are young women who want to be Democratic politicians. But sure, okay.

Ultimately, though, do you think the question is fundamentally unacceptable? I don't think the answer can really be yes. But if the answer is no then it's not clear why the asker matters. If they asked all the same questions but it was Jake Tapper asking them all instead of people in the town hall, would that have been totally fine? If so, why?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
podcast fan wars are the worst fan wars, a pox on both your methods of media consumption

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Again, what TYT did was irresponsible and unprofessional for a news company. Disappointed in both Cenk and Ana for riling up the toxic subset of Lefties (of which they seem to be part of in light of recent events)

Bernie did pretty much everything he could short of calling out TYT directly, which he probably won't, because they + other leftist youtube channels are a big part of his media arm.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, hang on. I didn't see TYT in the article. They have some problematic folks on at TYT, but comparing them with Breitbart is just so silly to the point of being meaningless
I agree comparing them to Breitbart is bit much but they're still garbage and have been for a very long time.They're just a different type of garbage. Some of the stuff they do is not at all okay. The very fact they still employee Jimmy Dore continues to be a massive red flag with what he says and how he conducts himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.