• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
RICO act means anyone on the hook is fuuuuucked unless they ready to give up bigger targets.

RICO was established in the 70s and essentially allows expanded punishment if there is evidence of organized effort/crime, a key law in shutting down Mafia-style entities, at least from the public eye.

Under RICO, a person who has committed "at least two acts of racketeering activity" drawn from a list of 35 crimes (27 federal crimes and eight state crimes) within a 10-year period can be charged with racketeering if such acts are related in one of four specified ways to an "enterprise." Those found guilty of racketeering can be fined up to $25,000 and sentenced to 20 years in prison per racketeering count.

Yes you read that right, 20 years PER COUNT.

Last edited:

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Gucci Mane tried to warn all these ATL-based rappers man. Stop fucking around in the streets and live better. If they're actually guilty, they should serve time.

I hope Lil Baby isn't involved in all this.

Oct 25, 2017
"Lol" seems inappropiate for news about someone getting thrown in prison, but someone as lucky as Thug should've cut the street stuff off a looooooooong time ago. If I know about you ordering hits on other rappers (one of which is a recluse who just makes music all day) then the cops know

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
On a scale of 0 to Belly, how much shit are they in?

If the feds move on you it means they're sure they can get a conviction or a plea deal. Basically they better start working out heavily and putting money aside for the commissary.

www.pewresearch.org

Only 2% of federal criminal defendants went to trial in 2018, and most who did were found guilty

Trials are rare in the federal criminal justice system: Just 2% of criminal defendants went to trial in fiscal 2018. Acquittals are even rarer.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Wait Gunna Gunna still raps?

I'm pretty sure the only thing I've ever heard him in was BedRock by Young money 13 years ago.

NM: lmao, that was gudda gudda.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Don't understand all these "he's done" posts when Tekashi 6ix9ine was convicted for the same racketeering shit and walked free after a year or two

Tekashi basically paid a gang to be allowed to be around them. He had no influence or power over the gang he claimed to be a part of. He was a loudmouth bag of cash they took money from when they needed dough.

Young Thug is supposedly the founder and leader of his gang. All the serious crimes they have committed have most likely been run by and approved of by him.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to feel sorry for these idiots. Thug's been making millions legitimately for almost a decade at this point and he was STILL doing this dumbass street shit? smh

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
He's fucked, but Rico has been involved in some shady shit these last few years. There was a case in NY where they swept up a bunch of gang members in close by projects that was over a hundred people…

…but subsequent reporting has come out that looks like many of em got dragged in just for 'hanging' with gangmembers and considering they all live in the same building you can imagine how innocents got swept up and prosecuted because no one gave a fuck. Even though its an intercept article, it was state college students who did the heavy lifting with a report.

theintercept.com

The Largest Gang Raid in NYC History Swept Up Dozens of Young People Who Weren’t in Gangs

The prosecution of the Bronx 120 raises serious questions about due process and the abuse of federal conspiracy charges.

Perhaps most shockingly, more than half of the 120 indicted in the "largest gang takedown" in New York City history, including Lewis, were never actually alleged by prosecutors to be gang members at all. "Why on earth would they bring mass gang indictments, have a press conference saying that this is the largest takedown of two violent gangs in history, and actually be taking down dozens of people who are not gang members, and 80 individuals who are not violent?" Howell asked. "It's because these prosecutions are politically advantageous. These cases make for easy wins, high-profile, good press coverage, and they give prosecutors a platform to appear tough on crime."

Doesn't make a difference though; these are slam dunks for the prosecutors and only real way out is a bit less time by pleading asap to lessen their workload. Gunna's career just blew up too; courtside seats, dating an R&B scarlet for a second etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
He's fucked, but Rico has been involved in some shady shit these last few years. There was a case in NY where they swept up a bunch of gang members in close by projects that was over a hundred people…

…but subsequent reporting has come out that looks like many of em got dragged in just for 'hanging' with gangmembers and considering they all live in the same building you can imagine how innocents got swept up and prosecuted because no one gave a fuck. Even though its an intercept article, it was state college students who did the heavy lifting with a report.

theintercept.com

The Largest Gang Raid in NYC History Swept Up Dozens of Young People Who Weren’t in Gangs

The prosecution of the Bronx 120 raises serious questions about due process and the abuse of federal conspiracy charges.

Doesn't make a difference though; these are slam dunks for the prosecutors and only real way out is a bit less time by pleading asap to lessen their workload. Gunna's career just blew up too; courtside seats, dating an R&B scarlet for a second etc.

I forget was Shmurdas case local or fed? All I remember was the criminal conspiracy charges which are also hard as fuck to get out of

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I forget was Shmurdas case local or fed? All I remember was the criminal conspiracy charges which are also hard as fuck to get out of

It was also Rico; similar to thug one he was one of the members of the ringleaders of GS9, 'east flatbush gang'. Shit very similar if you think cause on a much lesser but similar scale Rowdy Rebel was up and coming (I will throw a desk out of a windows to "Computers") and also got hemmed up so two promising careers got derailed

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
We bout to get telephones verses from them ala Max B
c3f15b014477cb4c2d0b057d0810f21f_400x400.jpeg

Cant even be mad, they brought it on themselves

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Also, the more I think about it, I think I blame Baby?

I always found it interesting how Young Thug was bubbling up under Gucci Mane's imprint and you figured he would have had a Migos type glowup, but it was very odd that Baby went out of his way to grab him up to actively threaten Wayne whenever they had a chance to the point they were naming albums after him. Particularly since Thug always shouted out Wayne for being his big inspiration, even when beefing.

You could say it's because he wanted a young act to leech off a la Drake, but once Wayne and him 'made up' Thug disappeared from that association. This feels like Baby pushed him to embrace the street shit (shooting up Waynes bus) considering the charges start in 2015 when Lil Wayne's bus was shot up. If he cared about his career (and a possible financial investment) that would have been a no no.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
Also, the more I think about it, I think I blame Baby?

I always found it interesting how Young Thug was bubbling up under Gucci Mane's imprint and you figured he would have had a Migos type glowup, but it was very odd that Baby went out of his way to grab him up to actively threaten Wayne whenever they had a chance to the point they were naming albums after him. Particularly since Thug always shouted out Wayne for being his big inspiration, even when beefing.

You could say it's because he wanted a young act to leech off a la Drake, but once Wayne and him 'made up' Thug disappeared from that association. This feels like Baby pushed him to embrace the street shit (shooting up Waynes bus) considering the charges start in 2015 when Lil Wayne's bus was shot up. If he cared about his career (and a possible financial investment) that would have been a no no.

Honestly Birdman probably makes Suge Knight look not so bad if all his shit comes to light. Dude's slimey

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The initial reactions in this thread is interesting to me. There's a full amount of "separate the art from the artist" energy going on in here since you enjoy the music.

So I'm now wondering if some of you are consistent with this for other certain hip-hop artists...

GetLuffy

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 19, 2022
Having a cousin from Bouldercrest and growing up on the East side of the A, I don't think it's snitching to say none of this surprised me. The fact that this is what the local news has been alluding to was the bigger surprise.

Oct 25, 2017
It was also Rico; similar to thug one he was one of the members of the ringleaders of GS9, 'east flatbush gang'. Shit very similar if you think cause on a much lesser but similar scale Rowdy Rebel was up and coming (I will throw a desk out of a windows to "Computers") and also got hemmed up so two promising careers got derailed

Damn. I listened to a Code Switch on them and the whole trial seemed wild with the conspiracy charges and how he could have gotten a lesser charge. Just could not for the life of me remember if it was full fed/rico

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The initial reactions in this thread is interesting to me. There's a full amount of "separate the art from the artist" energy going on in here since you enjoy the music.

So I'm now wondering if some of you are consistent with this for other certain hip-hop artists...
If they're guilty then they're guilty but don't act like RICO isn't an outdated behemoth of a law that is really only used to go after rappers and their associates nowadays lol.

This stuff was created for mobs of the past. Going by America's history alone, it's not unreasonable to view the severity of these charges as suspect.

Oct 30, 2017
If this dude was orchestrating hits on other people and if the feds have the evidence to prove it, I think it may be weird to be lamenting this guy's crash and burn.