• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I'm not quite sure I understand the distinction. The big difference between this case and sexual assault cases is that the people being held in prison here broke the law. However, the sentiment behind that is that they had poor judgment by breaking the law and someone accusing victims of having poor judgment in clothes, safety, and so on feel very similar to me. It sort of pushes the responsibility of torture or sexual assault onto the victims.

I don't disagree that there's a fine line between risk aversion and victim blaming, but I personally feel like the distinction comes from whether it's before or after something has happened. If you're taking precautions to avoid dark alleys, or to not break the law in a different country, then you're just trying to protect yourself. But, when people mention "Well, what'd they expect?" or "They had poor judgment and should have done this or this differently" immediately after hearing about what happened to someone, it's starting to push into the idea of victim blaming. Am I off-base here?
Are we just to assume that the Iranian government wouldn't lie about the reasons they locked foreigners up? What's truly disgusting in this thread, other than the obvious, is how quickly some people are to accept the word of a corrupt government when the victims are white, but if they weren't, the government would obviously be lying. Because reasons. It's really lame sometimes reading comments in threads here that look like they came right off of Twitter or Youtube comment sections.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you guys even make these threads

Its just "damn that sucks hope they get out safe" lol

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
I'm not quite sure I understand the distinction. The big difference between this case and sexual assault cases is that the people being held in prison here broke the law. However, the sentiment behind that is that they had poor judgment by breaking the law and someone accusing victims of having poor judgment in clothes, safety, and so on feel very similar to me. It sort of pushes the responsibility of torture or sexual assault onto the victims.

I don't disagree that there's a fine line between risk aversion and victim blaming, but I personally feel like the distinction comes from whether it's before or after something has happened. If you're taking precautions to avoid dark alleys, or to not break the law in a different country, then you're just trying to protect yourself. But, when people mention "Well, what'd they expect?" or "They had poor judgment and should have done this or this differently" immediately after hearing about what happened to someone, it's starting to push into the idea of victim blaming. Am I off-base here?
No, I totally agree with you.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Every nation has different laws. Do your research before entering a new country!
While in this case it would be pretty safe to assume that flying drones in Tehran isn't a good idea, it's not always easy to be aware of all the laws when you're visiting a new country. For example, even in my country the law on drones isn't very clear (and I wouldn't know it fully) - sometimes some new rules are introduced and sometimes they are removed. Sure, thinks like "don't steal" and "don't kill" are self-evident, but the particularities of each and every law are sometimes too complex.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Shoulda just followed to cops instructions."
You're right. We should follow the cops' instructions. Let's observe a situation after a black man has been stopped for a broken taillight.

Cop: Let me see your license.

*(black dude reaches for his pocket. Gets shot 15 times)*

And you definitely know the police report is going to say that the officer feared for his life. He reached down after all.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
While in this case it would be pretty safe to assume that flying drones in Tehran isn't a good idea, it's not always easy to be aware of all the laws when you're visiting a new country. For example, even in my country the law on drones isn't very clear (and I wouldn't know it fully) - sometimes some new rules are introduced and sometimes they are removed. Sure, thinks like "don't steal" and "don't kill" are self-evident, but the particularities of each and every law are sometimes too complex.
That being said, there are certainly countries where you REALLY want to be clear on the laws. Like in the western countries sure flying a drone may or may not be legal, but at worst you may be fined for getting caught doing that if it's against the law. But in other countries, I would make sure not to do anything risky, because a small infraction could mean imprisonment or worse.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iran sounds like a place where the authorities might make you disappear - particularly if you are a western visitor - regardless of whether you are operating a drone or not.

Hopefully the Australian Foreign Affairs staff are doing all that they can to secure the release of these poor buggers. No one deserves this shit.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When activists decry "victim blaming" in a liberal democracy, it is to provoke within their society the desire for reform of culture and law, because contained within each democracy is the potential for bottom-up reform and progress. What makes this insensible when talking about a foreign country is we cannot forcibly reform someone else's country or that it is usually a very bad idea to attempt to as history has shown.

The unspoken message behind "victim blaming" is the idea "as a society, we place too much burden on the victims of crimes and fail to create cultural or legal systems that can redress their victimization". It is self-critique and saying "we need to do better than this to create a better society for everyone". No one here has the slightest amount of pull over Iranian policy except on a highly abstract stochastic level.

The cop comparison is EXTREMELY weird because the intent behind "should've followed orders" is the naive idea that cops don't abuse their authority. To analogize that with this situation, you would have to believe that Iran obeys international human rights and I think I should not have to explain that they are one of the countries where pretty much everyone with a cursory understanding of international relations knows "this is one of those countries that don't respect West-established human rights standards." If you use "should've followed orders" ironically, you're on the side of "criticism of cops" or just outright "ACAB". "ACAB" as applied to this situation means "no one should ever visit Iran or trust Iran".

You guys are really starting to mix up your progressive slogans here now. Please stop thinking one "woke-ism" can be applied in every situation with some surface similarities.

Last edited:

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That being said, there are certainly countries where you REALLY want to be clear on the laws. Like in the western countries sure flying a drone may or may not be legal, but at worst you may be fined for getting caught doing that if it's against the law. But in other countries, I would make sure not to do anything risky, because a small infraction could mean imprisonment or worse.
That is very true.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
They did a really fucking dumb thing, but they shouldn't be punished the way they are most likely being punished for it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Ok. Can we at least agree no one should go to North Korea then?

Oh for sure, absolutely dumbass idea. But at the same time there is no reason to give this murdering bullshit regime any credibility, trust or benefit of the doubt even before we get to their shit video and story riddled with implausible and shady details, even by their standards.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
This forum is embarrassing sometimes. Go watch one of their videos and tell me again that they're some rich white privilege assholes who deserve their fate. They're just doing what they love, seeing and showing the world, including places off the beaten track.
Were they naive or even dumb to fly a drone against local laws in Iran? Yes. But no one deserves more than a fine for that. Unless they've been playing the long game for three years by posting travel videos on YouTube before finally starting their spying assignment in Iran.

But, eh, "white people" am I right!?!

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Flying a drone without doing the proper research of the place you're using it... That's a very quick way to end in jail.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
"Our biggest motivation... is to hopefully inspire anyone wanting to travel, and also try to break the stigma around travelling to countries which get a bad wrap [sic] in the media," the pair wrote online.

giphy.gif

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Went to their youtube page, saw a few videos, read the comments in those videos and bow I'm sick. Can't believe people can be so cruel. People hoping they get killed. What the fuck.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
All it takes is a tour to bypass the wrong area to end up in some hellhole terrorist house or be captured by the government on trumped up charges claiming you as a spy. It can all change in the blink of an eye if your government decides to butt heads with the country you are visiting anytime.

Unfortunately for these two we don't live in a welcoming and passive world, we live in secretly turbulent times where you will suffer. Being too liberal can definitely cloud one's judgement about these things so I feel bad for them since they probably come from a world where everyone is nice automatically and see the world in a positive light but the truth is you can get captured or killed anywhere if not careful for basically nothing. Hope they get back safe and sound and learn from this.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are actions and consequences. Laws and policies. These guys made a mistake in their ignorance and broke a law. No, they shouldn't be tortured or imprisoned for it, but they have to face the consequences for their actions, whether they are just or unjust.
I hope they get out safe, soon, and have a bit more common sense in the future.

I think it's within our rights to criticize these peoples ignorance, without being accused of being sociopathic or victim blaming. We're on an online forum. I think we all don't want them to be tortured in prison, but you have to admit this was a really dumb thing to do.

I admire the compassion people have in here, but y'all need to chill.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Sure.... Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. But what's ultimately more important is empathy. Chiming in with "That sucks for them, buuuuut... they shoulda known better." makes it seem like you view empathy as secondary to the fact that they fucked up.

If some dumbass decided to run into a burning building and unsurprisingly came running back out engulfed in flames, your primary concern should be their well-being, not judging them for doing something stupid.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
You're right. We should follow the cops' instructions. Let's observe a situation after a black man has been stopped for a broken taillight.

Cop: Let me see your license.

*(black dude reaches for his pocket.)
"HANDS! HANDS! HE HAS A GUN!"
(Gets shot 15 times)*

"STEP OUT THE CAR AND SHOW ME YOUR HANDS"

(Black dude slowly bleeds out to death)

And you definitely know the police report is going to say that the officer feared for his life. He reached down after all.
Let me fix that for you.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That's dumb to travel and just act like it's your home country.

But the punishment is beyond harsh. Months in jail for flying a drone is tough.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
"American" tho.

The whole argument here boils down to the fact that being able to think flying a drone in a know totalitarian country involves a level of cultural ignorance that American culture, unfortunately, specializes in. Someone raised in the culture of a place of less privilege and less 'This country is the way the world is' propaganda wouldn't make the same mistake.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When activists decry "victim blaming" in a liberal democracy, it is to provoke within their society the desire for reform of culture and law, because contained within each democracy is the potential for bottom-up reform and progress. What makes this insensible when talking about a foreign country is we cannot forcibly reform someone else's country or that it is usually a very bad idea to attempt to as history has shown.

The unspoken message behind "victim blaming" is the idea "as a society, we place too much burden on the victims of crimes and fail to create cultural or legal systems that can redress their victimization". It is self-critique and saying "we need to do better than this to create a better society for everyone". No one here has the slightest amount of pull over Iranian policy except on a highly abstract stochastic level.

The cop comparison is EXTREMELY weird because the intent behind "should've followed orders" is the naive idea that cops don't abuse their authority. To analogize that with this situation, you would have to believe that Iran obeys international human rights and I think I should not have to explain that they are one of the countries where pretty much everyone with a cursory understanding of international relations knows "this is one of those countries that don't respect West-established human rights standards." If you use "should've followed orders" ironically, you're on the side of "criticism of cops" or just outright "ACAB". "ACAB" as applied to this situation means "no one should ever visit Iran or trust Iran".

You guys are really starting to mix up your progressive slogans here now. Please stop thinking one "woke-ism" can be applied in every situation with some surface similarities.

Thing is we don't know if the accusations against them are true or accurate and frankly we have no reason to believe Iranian statements.

A couple of nice juicy geopolitical stooges might be just what they were looking for - and the Instagram wholesomeness/attractive/disgraceful western decadence would play well at home and abroad and increase their value for leverage and prisoner swapping. At least theoretically.

For all we know the government might have invited them to fly drones and set them up.

Or there were no drones at all.

Or they were obnoxious drone flying scofflaws.

We won't know until they're released which unlucky version of those possibilities is actually accurate - and there's no useful occam's Razor for this situation since any of the extremes are perfectly viable in Iran and with tourists.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Oh, to see the reactions if these were POC.

Shame on y'all.
Happens every day in Trumps America unfortunately. No one with a heart would dare chastise those people for not knowing the laws of the land they were coming to. That's why it's awful seeing sentiments I normally associate with the FOX news crowd being espoused here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really understand how victim blaming applies to this situation. was someone holding them at gunpoint forcing them to fly a drone? who else is there to blame for their actions but them?

that being said, i hope they are safe and are released.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
The Iranian court will hand them trumped up charges like declaring them as American or Israeli spies posing as tourists and just lock them up for decades.

Plus, they flew a drone in a country that is actively paranoid about foreign drones intruding in their airspace. As much as I hate to say it, but these couples are absolutely fucked.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

*claps*

Heck to my understanding some countries will want to be bribed to let you off the hook. Even here in the states we have shady shit from cops outside urban areas with their over reliance on civil forfeitures to quasi-legally rob citizens

Good luck if you're a foreigner passing through even after we remove Trump because the reversals on these situations are long and not common as the linked article points out.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
lmao this thread. Some people in prison in an authoritarian country for, admittedly not doing the wisest thing. Let's all tut,tut and handwave their suffering and plight away because they are white! lol

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
"American" tho.

The whole argument here boils down to the fact that being able to think flying a drone in a know totalitarian country involves a level of cultural ignorance that American culture, unfortunately, specializes in. Someone raised in the culture of a place of less privilege and less 'This country is the way the world is' propaganda wouldn't make the same mistake.

This couple are Australian and their government literally has Iran listed as a country that A) They are prone to arresting Westerners. B) Suggest you don't do anything to stand out. C) Specifically mentioned don't take pictures that can be construed as suspicious.

Sheesh.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware it wasn't safe to travel in Iran
Honestly, rule of thumb for Westerners is that it isn't safe to travel anywhere in the Middle East, even the places that seem safe. With a somewhat regular frequency you hear stories about tourists who are women or gay or just doing something dumb being arrested and spending months in prison or worse from all of these countries. Even if you're not paying attention to that, the knowledge that the Middle East has been filled with warring tribes and backwards laws is pretty common. And barring that, it's pretty widely known that the US (and its allies) significantly fucked the region even harder after 9/11. Unless you're a citizen of these countries I would always be wary of traveling to them. Even then... you need to be extremely careful.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Reminds me of that misguided woman who travelled to Russia with medical marijuana.

Lot of bad decisions led to where they are now.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"American" tho.

He has dual citizenship, he is a Chinese national who was born and raised in China. He is a PhD candidate at Princeton, and was arrested for doing research in libraries. The whole point of me posting that is to show that this has happened to a lot of different people for many different (mostly bullshit) reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.