• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Young people are out enjoying the warmer weather across the country, but according to health officials, they also might be spreading and contracting the coronavirus. As people pack into parks, beaches, restaurants, bars and even concerts, cases are rising in at least 37 states, with surges among young people linked to everything from fitness classes to summer fraternity parties.

"I'm not too scared of getting sick," said Chris Clarici in San Francisco.

"I just personally don't care," said a young person in Boston. "I haven't got sick yet."

www.cbsnews.com

Young adults unconcerned by coronavirus "may be killing other people," doctor warns

Coronavirus cases among young people are linked to everything from fitness classes to summer fraternity parties.

Experts have warned that attitude is dangerous.

"They may be indirectly hurting people by infecting someone who then infects someone, who then infects someone who's vulnerable," Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, said last week.

In Arizona, nearly half of coronavirus cases are people 20 to 44 years old. Last week, President Donald Trump spoke at a rally in the state where the crowd of around 3,000 people was mostly young and maskless.

In Hays County, Texas, about 30 miles outside of Austin, young adults make up more than half of all cases. In Florida, a coronavirus hotspot, the highest number of cases are among people between the ages of 25 and 34 years old.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just young adults. Selfish assholes span all age ranges and they're all out there being irresponsible and damaging other peoples' lives with their BS.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
We need some celebrities to make COVID Tik Tok videos because apparently that's the only way they'll understand something.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Raising a generation of narcissists does this.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Stupid.

Yeah, I will judge if you aren't wearing a mask, you fool. It's easy, economical, and you have no excuse when nearly all fashion outlets are pumping them out. Sure, it may not be an N95 you may get your hands on, but protection is better than none at all. You legit need to be the biggest of idiots not to at least own one. And selfish, to boot.

Oct 27, 2017
On my commute to work almost every day this week, I've seen a woman who gets on the train and never wears a mask. Today I could tell she felt some kind of guilt at the fact she wasn't wearing one when literally everyone else was by the look on her face when she realised and how quickly she ran off the train ad through the gates to get away from all of us.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Finally we have found something that young people and old people in America share in common.

They are all fucking idiots.

Oct 31, 2017
Literally most people in LA don't wear masks

I see a lot of people on the streets when I'm driving and most don't have masks on

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Trader Joe's grocery stores require a mask while inside. Every time I'm there, I see people stripping their masks off literally as they cross the threshhold while exiting the store. They then proceed to walk through and next to the line of people waiting to get in.

I get that air transmission is almost negligible, but what's so hard about keeping the mask on for an extra minute or two while you load your groceries in your car? Why are people so adamant about refusing to do even the slightest thing to help other people?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
"If I get it, then, you live with your consequences," said Bojan Atanasovski, a 25-year-old West Palm Beach resident.

Thats a bit on the nose.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
c69040ee-b542-4a8c-b7ad-2571b5536917-052220-Mask-Poll2.jpg

I mean yes, the youth are a problem, but so are white people, men, Independents, and Republicans.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
"White people over the age of 30 constantly wearing no masks and protesting with little social distancing."

Young people are to blame.

Skinner logic.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people either aren't thinking that far, or don't care. It's very selfish and shortsighted.

People of all ages are acting this way.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not scared if getting sick either, but I care about other people and don't want to affect them. I don't understand what is so fucking hard to understand.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
c69040ee-b542-4a8c-b7ad-2571b5536917-052220-Mask-Poll2.jpg

I mean yes, the youth are a problem, but so are white people, men, Independents, and Republicans.

I get that this is the US and not Canada but these people have to be lying. I've seen thousands of people since this started and I can almost count how many masks I've seen people wear on one hand (outside of workers). Even then most of them were wearing them around their neck or on their forehead. All of my friends wear masks (not family, none of them wear one) and they all lament the same thing when they go out "no one is wearing masks but them".

I have a friend from Georgia who is a nurse and he's livid that from seeing patients to the people he sees on his hour commute everyday he almost never sees anyone with a mask on to the point where he has to take medication and therapy for Covid related anxiety. The park behind my place has had like 200 people in it everyday for the past 2.5 months and I've never seen a single person there wear a mask. There's just no way this is true.

Like maybe because of the question phrasing some of these people said yes because they have worn a mask once but they absoloutely aren't wearing them everytime they go out. It's impossible. I'd believe it if it was half that.

trinity_bellwoods.jpg

Like the amount of times I've seen photos like this. You'd be lucky if %1 of these people are wearing a mask. There was over 10k people in that park that day and it was all this. Mind you it didn't cause any massive spike but still, people are full of shit if they say they are wearing masks.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
London
I get that this is the US and not Canada but these people have to be lying. I've seen thousands of people since this started and I can almost count how many masks I've seen people wear on one hand (outside of workers). Even then most of them were wearing them around their neck or on their forehead. All of my friends wear masks (not family, none of them wear one) and they all lament the same thing when they go out "no one is wearing masks but them".

I have a friend from Georgia who is a nurse and he's livid that from seeing patients to the people he sees on his hour commute everyday he almost never sees anyone with a mask on to the point where he has to take medication and therapy for Covid related anxiety. The park behind my place has had like 200 people in it everyday for the past 2.5 months and I've never seen a single person there wear a mask. There's just no way this is true.

Like maybe because of the question phrasing some of these people have worn a mask once but they absoloutely aren't wearing them everytime they go out. It's impossible. I'd believe it if it was half that.

Consider the fact that many of the people who would wear masks are also the ones staying home most of the time and minimizing their trips/interactions with others.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Trader Joe's grocery stores require a mask while inside. Every time I'm there, I see people stripping their masks off literally as they cross the threshhold while exiting the store. They then proceed to walk through and next to the line of people waiting to get in.

I get that air transmission is almost negligible, but what's so hard about keeping the mask on for an extra minute or two while you load your groceries in your car? Why are people so adamant about refusing to do even the slightest thing to help other people?

The mask stays on until I'm in my car and I've given my hands a good sanitizin'.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Not only young people, but in my country its the same.
Those breaking the quarantine orders are mostly young men, between 18-45.

Thankfully, most people here don't have issues with facemasks - maybe due to the fines associated - but still.
I wonder if those assholes will change their tune if they or their parents are the ones with a tube down their throat trying to help them breath. Sadly, even then I doubt it, so I just hope natural selection does its work with them.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Consider the fact that many of the people who would wear masks are also the ones staying home most of the time and minimizing their trips/interactions with others.
That's why I can understand it being like half of what was polled or like %60ish. Many of my friends work in grocery stores too and they rarely see masks on customers. These are the highest trafficked places. It just doesn't make sense to be that high. Like I said maybe it's a difference between US and Canada but there's no way it's basically over %80 across the board. Not every time they go out anyways. The question seems to be phrased as if they have ever worn a mask not always which likely make the results higher. I can believe more people have worn a mask once or twice but not every time. Which is the more important thing.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I can understand it being like half of what was polled or like %60ish. Many of my friends work in grocery stores too and they rarely see masks on customers. These are the highest trafficked places. It just doesn't make sense to be that high. Like I said maybe it's a difference between US and Canada but there's no way it's basically over %80 across the board. Not every time they go out anyways.
The poll is also from Mid May. When a lot more states were on lockdown.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the scientific insight, but at this point I don't think we needed a doctor to confirm this.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only young people, but in my country its the same.
Those breaking the quarantine orders are mostly young men, between 18-45.

Thankfully, most people here don't have issues with facemasks - maybe due to the fines associated - but still.
I wonder if those assholes will change their tune if they or their parents are the ones with a tube down their throat trying to help them breath. Sadly, even then I doubt it, so I just hope natural selection does its work with them.

One of my roommates had one of his best friends die of Covid-19 right in the beginning. He was a young-ish man who ran marathons and it killed him in like 2 weeks. Now a few months later they invite their friends into the house without masks to drink and hang out, and they laugh at me and call me a germaphobe because I hide in the basement. It's unreal. As soon as memorial day came around and the weather got nice it all went out the window.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
One of my roommates had one of his best friends die of Covid-19 right in the beginning. He was a young-ish man who ran marathons and it killed him in like 2 weeks. Now a few months later they invite their friends into the house without masks to drink and hang out, and they laugh at me and call me a germaphobe because I hide in the basement. It's unreal. As soon as memorial day came around and the weather got nice it all went out the window.
I'd be a bitch if I were you - I'd go, hang out and ask, "Hey, how's that best friend dealing with Covid? Preparing for the marathon - oh, wait, he can't, he's too busy pushing up daisies! Wouldn't want to be like that loser, so I'll take care of myself, don't expect me to send flowers when you follow his footsteps".

My mother is a high risk group, so I'll admit I've lost my patience with people like your roommate. They put me in full bitch mode.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
This blame the young people for this is getting really old.
while normally it's ridiculous, recently I have noticed a lot more young people out without masks the past month. Not saying older people aren't either, but people below 40 have this invincible feeling that nothing will happen to them, not thinking about spread.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Walk around NYC, young people packed outside shoulder to shoulder with no masks

they don't give a shit

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. A lot of young people don't have a lot going for them in terms of upward mobility so they're just going to do what some did during the plagues of Europe: just get drunk at the bar.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It is known.

But older people don't care as well.

It's just stupid AF people that don't care about it. Sadly, it encompass a shit ton of people.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing, but not surprising. Young people are more likely to do reckless things because they can't see the consequence of their actions as well. Young people are more likely to drive drunk and kill someone while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

With coronavirus you seem to have some shared opinion between young Gen Z's who want to live their life like we did when we were 18-25, and old stubborn boomers. The best those of us in the middle, millennials and gen x'ers, is take care of ourselves and those around us, protect our community, and hope to insulate ourselves from the people who don't care.

Oct 26, 2017
Poor education + too much emphasis on self-importance in a society will do that. You get a bunch of selfish dipshits who think they know better than anyone else.

Scientists aren't even sure yet about the long term effects of having caught covid-19, it might not kill young people but it could very well scar them for life. We started off by saying that younger people aren't at risk, and now they might very well be.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It's not just young adults. Selfish assholes span all age ranges and they're all out there being irresponsible and damaging other peoples' lives with their BS.

I had a customer come through my line (I'm a cashier), old guy. Wasn't wearing a mask and standing practically right next to the guy in front of him. I gently reminded him it's law now to wear a mask (which is more than my store wants me to do *grumble*. My manager flat out said we're not enforcing it as our local police won't bother fining us for not enforcing it) and he chuckles that he has a heart issue (can't remember what exactly). So I try to let him know about our curbside pickup where he doesn't have to come in and it's safer for him. He insists that he has to come in cause he's coming from an island that he needs to take a ferry to get here (not sure what his logic was there, even if he was just trying to find some excuse not to do curbside, it makes no sense).

But yeah... not only could he not bother wearing a mask (I don't believe a word of his excuses), but he couldn't even bother not to distance himself even a little from the guy in front of him. I'm pretty sure he thought he was being clever.

The only nice thing about it was at least he didn't use the anger tactic to try to bully me into submission but just be clever about it. Except the only reason he got away with it is I'm not allowed to enforce it. Hell, not even sure my manager wants me to even mention it to people <- him and the assistand head manager both think this is overblown. They weren't even requiring masks of hte employees until they learned another store got fined for it. Yeah, I'm kinda glad my husband has a far better job and I can afford to be taking very few hours at work now. If some one comes in with coronavirus, my coworkers are fucked. And I know at least one of them will probably be hit hard with it (he has all the worst pre existing issues) and one of the managers I mentioned has a husband with diabetes who doesn't really take the best care of himself (she's complained about it before).

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
They keep trying to paint a picture of it being stupid young people...and saying almost half are under a certain age...but doesn't that mean OVER half are not "young people"

it's just stupid people in general, not only young people that are making this shit be so bad....

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
This blame the young people for this is getting really old.
I live in Arizona and it's not getting old, but here is what's driving the perception. If I drove around on a Friday night and took a look at who's actually coming out of their homes it's predominantly younger people. Does that mean that a large population of them are doing it? No. They are just more visible and outgoing. Larger gatherings inside? Mid-life folks passing it around through family gatherings.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not, but young people are more likely to act like this because we're statistically at a much lower risk of anything severe even if we do get it, and everyone knows this. Like as the data showed earlier suggests, even though the elderly are more likely to be conservative, they're also significantly more likely to be taking precautions because they know the risk for them is much higher than the average

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Like maybe because of the question phrasing some of these people said yes because they have worn a mask once but they absoloutely aren't wearing them everytime they go out. It's impossible. I'd believe it if it was half that.

trinity_bellwoods.jpg

Like the amount of times I've seen photos like this. You'd be lucky if %1 of these people are wearing a mask. There was over 10k people in that park that day and it was all this. Mind you it didn't cause any massive spike but still, people are full of shit if they say they are wearing masks.
Keep in mind the question being asked is if they'd worn a mask during the crisis, not if they're continuing to do so right now. I imagine that a lot of the people saying yes did wear them at some point, but have convinced themselves the crisis is over and stopped even though it absolutely hasn't

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is this gonna be one of those deals where we blame zoomers and millenials for something bad happening when the older generations are just as bad, if not worse?